PDA

View Full Version : two monitors, one computer...

Hookah
03-13-2009, 03:38 AM
:01:
:frusty:

trying to figure out how to hook up a 2nd monitor to my cpu

im thinking that i might want more ram for my cpu first though, ive only got 512mb currently

dell dimension 4700...

thanks

Detale
03-13-2009, 03:42 AM
Do you have an aftermarket video card in there? If not the cheapest way to go is get one and install it yourself.

kaiweiler
03-13-2009, 04:44 AM
trying to figure out how to hook up a 2nd monitor to my cpu

You're doing it wrong.

EDIT, to be clear, do NOT attempt to attach a monitor to your CPU, this is not where it goes.
You will need a video card that supports dual output.

Detale
03-13-2009, 02:43 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

iamfoesho
03-14-2009, 01:10 AM
You can either get a video card with two vga/dvi outputs or get a a vga/dvi spliiter from somewhere like monoprice.com for cheap.

Hookah
03-14-2009, 03:33 PM
You can either get a video card with two vga/dvi outputs or get a a vga/dvi spliiter from somewhere like monoprice.com for cheap.

if i get the splitter, do you think i should upgrade my ram too?

iceman0113
03-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Don't think it's going to matter. You only upgrade RAM if you're going to do more stuff with two monitors. I have 2 monitors up with only 2 gigs of RAM running. Usually one monitor is playing a movie/entertainment or something and the other is for work.

Hookah
03-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Don't think it's going to matter. You only upgrade RAM if you're going to do more stuff with two monitors. I have 2 monitors up with only 2 gigs of RAM running. Usually one monitor is playing a movie/entertainment or something and the other is for work.

yeah im only running 512mb ram in 1 of my 4 slots

ive been Highly advised to throw some more ram in my cpu

im thinking either:
buy another 512mb to make it like a gig
or
buy a one gig stick in there to make it a gig and a half

my question is with matched pairs of ram
am i better off getting 2 smaller sticks of ram that match or just getting the max gig each slot and take and popping it in one slot.

Artemis
03-15-2009, 06:38 AM
You need to understand the concepts behind multiple monitors as well. Being able to have multiple desktops is a function of the graphical output of your video card. If you purchase a splitter you are simply going to clone (repeat) the output to another source. If you have a graphics card that can display dualhead, i.e it can stretch the desktop across multiple screens rather than just repeating the output from one screen on another then you have a far more effective dual output system.

Chewie
03-15-2009, 07:59 AM

You're still not getting it.
Put the RAM in the memory slot(s).
You can't connect RAM to a CPU; the heatsink would get in the way for a start.

Old_Swift_acct
03-15-2009, 11:06 AM
it all depeneds on your video card DVI get a cable and adapter and go for it

seh
03-15-2009, 11:21 AM
This to the OP... CPU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU) is not short for computer!

Also, get a videocard that supports 2 monitors.. and just stick an extra 1 or 2 GB's of ram in there..512MB ram just doesnt cut it anymore..

peat moss
03-15-2009, 11:49 AM
I would n't spend a lot of money on it , the computer is 4 years old ? Go to a computer swap meet or Craigs list and buy used .

# Expansion Slots Total (Free) 1 ( 0 ) x Processor - LGA775 Socket , 4 ( 2 ) x Memory - DIMM 240-pin , 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x16 , 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x1 , 2 ( 2 ) x PCI

Specs :

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-4700-pentium/4505-3118_7-30981395.html

Hookah
03-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I would n't spend a lot of money on it , the computer is 4 years old ? Go to a computer swap meet or Craigs list and buy used .

# Expansion Slots Total (Free) 1 ( 0 ) x Processor - LGA775 Socket , 4 ( 2 ) x Memory - DIMM 240-pin , 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x16 , 1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x1 , 2 ( 2 ) x PCI

Specs :

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-4700-pentium/4505-3118_7-30981395.html

yeahhh, its about 4 years old now
and that cnet article is pretty useful too (though im about to make a thread complaining about dell's bios, as the article does too)

memory is fairly cheap these days though

if i buy 2 512mbs to throw a whole additional gig of ram into my cpu its only like 20 dollars, the extra video card, eh, if i get a free monitor, i think it'd be cool to run two screens, but i def do understand what you're saying about not spending to much on this pc.... installing either of the peices of hardware i know would be hard though :frusty: :frusty: :dabs:

iceman0113
03-15-2009, 04:13 PM
If you really want one, then I say just build a new comp completely. Mine's 4 years old too, but I'm waiting until SC2 comes out before I build it. :) What do you need two screens for? It's unnecessary unless you really need the second screen for something. 512, I'll admit is really weak, might as well buy 3 stick of 512 and have it at 2 gigs. I'm sure your mobo and bios will be able to handle that. Video cards are dirt cheap if your computer is that old. Newegg usually has a good deal going on, but more than likely, you'll find one that you need for less than $50.

Hookah
03-15-2009, 04:14 PM
You need to understand the concepts behind multiple monitors as well. Being able to have multiple desktops is a function of the graphical output of your video card. If you purchase a splitter you are simply going to clone (repeat) the output to another source. If you have a graphics card that can display dualhead, i.e it can stretch the desktop across multiple screens rather than just repeating the output from one screen on another then you have a far more effective dual output system.

yeah thats what im hoping to do.

You're still not getting it.
Put the RAM in the memory slot(s).
You can't connect RAM to a CPU; the heatsink would get in the way for a start.

yeahhhhh, i get that. i figured cpu was the same thing as saying pc, so, yeah, im aware of the memory slots
just not how you tell the difference of the 4 slots, of which are the 'matched pairs' with each other

:pinch:

battues
03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
What do you need the second monitor for?
If you need the second monitor for watching movies You can always use a tv for a second monitor and then you don't need to buy any a new Graphic card.
But please understand 512mb of ram is very low sure thing you need to upgrade if you have enough money BUT having more Ram has nothing to do with using 2 monitors (It does however like iceman0113 mentioned has a lot to do with what you'r using the second monitor for)

dadelor
03-27-2009, 04:40 AM
you would have to have atleast 2 sticks of 512's with the same specs to run them in dual channel if thats what you mean by matched pairs, and the ram has to be put in the next slot nearest the ram you already have installed

peat moss
03-27-2009, 05:01 AM
@dadelor , love your avatar . I had an old one " Idiot Outside " I miss it sometimes . ;)