PDA

View Full Version : Data Recovery

Duffman
03-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Hi, I need a little help here. I have a hard drive I removed from a friends computer that broke, and he wants me to get all the family photos off the drive. I've hooked it up using some cable I bought at microcenter but all I get is missing files and access denied errors, I'm not sure how to go about this...

db_la_23
03-19-2009, 11:05 AM
try data doctor data recovery software

Darth_Duane
03-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Look for a copy of Hiren's boot CD. You can find them all over the place. It comes with data recovery tools, partition tools, imaging tools, etc ,etc.

SelfMadeMMAn
03-23-2009, 05:38 AM
Oddly enough, the drive has bad sectors, so place the drive in the freezer for 10-12 hours [and I am serious, what i am telling you worked for mine] then use SpinRite to try to fuze the sectors while it does a complete scrub. {backs up file on other drive] Worst case scenerio, the drive is unsalvagable.

sparcode
03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Oddly enough, the drive has bad sectors, so place the drive in the freezer for 10-12 hours [and I am serious, what i am telling you worked for mine] then use SpinRite to try to fuze the sectors while it does a complete scrub. {backs up file on other drive] Worst case scenerio, the drive is unsalvagable.
Freezer helps on faulty disk controller its true, but not for bad sectors.

battues
03-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Try Ontrack Easy Recovery worked great for me it found me things i already forgot about it will take you a while (depends on your hard drive size) oh and pray :rolleyes:

Duffman
03-24-2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks I apreciate all the repsonses but the problem has seem to have shifted over now. When I first plugged the drive in I recieved access denied errors and was able to view some of the files. Now every time I try to view the drive I get drive f:\ is not formatted, would you like to format yes\no. What do you think could have caused the sudden step in the wrong direction.

*Update --

Well I downloaded the program battues suggested and ran a quick test to find out the poor drive is on its death bed. Running a scan to recover what I can now. Wish me luck.

dadelor
03-30-2009, 04:48 AM
Try handy recovery. I remember working on a friends computer backed it up and forgot to put the backup on another drive and formatted the drive. this program saved my life i recovered an entire 20gig backup with it