PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Buy A New Pc?

Keikan
09-21-2003, 06:03 AM
I'm gonna but a pc soon right and then my mom says: 3 years later you have to buy another one!? SO i'm thinking you guys always have pc's that can actually run todays games, so how do you keep up with those dam minium system requirements?

Broken
09-21-2003, 06:06 AM
by upgrading one piece at a time, there's very little of the computer i bought just a year ago left.

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 06:11 AM
I usually buy a computer once every year, 2 tops. then in between I buy components to upgrade them.

I do some internet business so I got some money to buy stuff and pay tuition

Keikan
09-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Gee you upgraded fast only one year!? Where do you get that kinda cash? And if you ask me i find it hard to upgrade the processer which basically is my problem, if you look at my specs and maybe my graphic card, but i can upgrade that easily.
The processer is so hard because you need like the right motherboard and shit and blablabla, like I'm planning to get the Athlon xp 2700+ how you suppose to upgrade that in a few years?

kAb
09-21-2003, 06:14 AM
like once every 5 years :rolleyes: if not longer... :blink:

Octopussy
09-21-2003, 06:17 AM
every 6 years :( but im thinkin im gona start savin money and instead of buyin pc just like upgrade it u know...like change i have a 2.53 ghz processor so later on i can get a higher one and more ram and stuff so then i dont have to waste extra money

Wolfmight
09-21-2003, 06:19 AM
I agree.. upgrade peice by peice

Upgradeing by Buying Whole new computer is Wasted Money!
Whole new floppy drive? Whole new moniter? eh?

U can get a new mobo, cpu, and graphics card for less than a brand new computer.

Keikan
09-21-2003, 06:20 AM
Every 6 years? I thought minimum requirements move faster than that

Wolfmight
09-21-2003, 06:21 AM
i just want the 80 gigaflop computer in japan so i wont have to upgrade for a few 20-30, maybe 100 years. (technology advances to fast.. i wanna be ahead of the game! lol).

80 gigaflop speed CPU.. I think the HD was like some extreme speed as well.. Prob copys Terabytes in few seconds!! DROOL :lol:

Keikan
09-21-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@20 September 2003 - 23:19

Upgradeing by Buying Whole new computer is Wasted Money!

U can get a new mobo, cpu, and graphics card for less than a brand new computer.
I think i'll need more than that

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Keikan@21 September 2003 - 06:13
Gee you upgraded fast only one year!? Where do you get that kinda cash? And if you ask me i find it hard to upgrade the processer which basically is my problem, if you look at my specs and maybe my graphic card, but i can upgrade that easily.
The processer is so hard because you need like the right motherboard and shit and blablabla, like I'm planning to get the Athlon xp 2700+ how you suppose to upgrade that in a few years?
yeah processors and motherboards go hand in hand

it's not hard to upgrade

basically I upgrade by using my old components and i go out and buy some case and build a system then sell it on ebay.

believe me even if the system is old you can still sometimes get a pretty good price on there.

then I buy new processor and mainboard, and if i could buy new video cards too.

it's not a lot of money to upgrade, if you know what you are doing. People think that you have to buy a brand new system to call it an upgrade. I keep most of my hardware (monitors, hdds, cdrws) and only change the parts that gets old the most (mainboard, processor, video card)

on average I spend 400-500 CAD on my upgrades so it's not really a lot.

I do a part time job and do online investing and do some advertising for my friends so I can pay off the tuition and living expenses and stuff then the rest I spend on computers

Wolfmight
09-21-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Keikan+21 September 2003 - 00:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Keikan @ 21 September 2003 - 00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wolfmight@20 September 2003 - 23:19

Upgradeing by Buying Whole new computer is Wasted Money&#33;

I think i&#39;ll need more than that [/b][/quote]
well if you play your cards right and buy all the new peices you need.. 1 by 1 (useing pricewatch.com or so).. Get the lowest on everything.. You will save alot.

Broken
09-21-2003, 06:24 AM
it all comes down to what you want to use the computer for, how often you have to upgrade or buy a new system.

Keikan
09-21-2003, 06:25 AM
No internet buying, i can&#39;t buy from the internet

Keikan
09-21-2003, 06:28 AM
yeah processors and motherboards go hand in hand

it&#39;s not hard to upgrade

basically I upgrade by using my old components and i go out and buy some case and build a system then sell it on ebay.

believe me even if the system is old you can still sometimes get a pretty good price on there.

then I buy new processor and mainboard, and if i could buy new video cards too.

it&#39;s not a lot of money to upgrade, if you know what you are doing. People think that you have to buy a brand new system to call it an upgrade. I keep most of my hardware (monitors, hdds, cdrws) and only change the parts that gets old the most (mainboard, processor, video card)

on average I spend 400-500 CAD on my upgrades so it&#39;s not really a lot.

I do a part time job and do online investing and do some advertising for my friends so I can pay off the tuition and living expenses and stuff then the rest I spend on computers

You really think i can upgrade my computer? LEts see i neeed NEW: Mobo, processer, graphics card, hard drive ram all for 500cad?

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 06:30 AM
yup

Keikan
09-21-2003, 06:32 AM
uhhh one problem, my computer is really loud another reason that i wanan buy a new one, other computers you can&#39;t hear mine? it&#39;s louder than a fridge how do i fix that?

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 06:34 AM
your case fan is probably getting old and need replacement

you need to buy a new case

Keikan
09-21-2003, 06:36 AM
buy a new case or buy a new fan?

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 06:37 AM
they are together

new cases have the fans build into them

Broken
09-21-2003, 06:37 AM
if it&#39;s an older system your better just buying a new one than trying to upgrade everything. when you a complete computer you tend to get more of a discount on the parts than if you tired to buy them all individually.

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Broken@21 September 2003 - 06:37
if it&#39;s an older system your better just buying a new one than trying to upgrade everything. when you a complete computer you tend to get more of a discount on the parts than if you tired to buy them all individually.
yeah that&#39;s true

if you dont wanna bother buying all the pieces and put them together, you are better off buying a new system

adamp2p
09-21-2003, 06:43 AM
If you are like me, you do not spend on anything else but computers. That is, because there really is not anything that is that interesting.

I do everything on my computer. That is how I learn best, too.

I recently got a new program called MathType, so I can type my math notes into my computer, very neatly, with different colors where appropriate...

Some folks I know spend their money on clothing...and some of them tell me: "dude, that computer is so expensive..."

and I am like sitting there totally laughing because that dork spent like &#036;200 on his stupid air Jordans...or that dumb bimbo at school who has the pentium 2 400 MHz laptop who says to me: "I would rather have a boobjob than a new computer..."...yeah, uh, huh, and a face job too...

The fact is that people do not notice technology advancing forward like the computer enthusiast community. We have the best ways of working and accomplishing our goals. When my computer is up and running (well) I am the most hyper-efficient human being I can be.

You see, if you are like me, and you spend 8-12 hours a day interacting with your computing device and find it the most entertaining, informative activity available, then you just might be able to accomplish your goals effectively. Or you could be the guy/gal who spends 4 hours a day in front of some crappy low refresh rate windows 98 piece of crap. It doesen&#39;t matter to me. I got my first PC a little over a year ago, and since then I have gotten almost straight A&#39;s in school, and had more fun...(oh, and as for partying, fu*cking, ladies, etc...I did a whole load of that already...I have done more dope than anybody I know...trust me I have not missed out on much of anything...I am now 25 and going back to school...and don&#39;t mind being a school nerd...(edit: I don&#39;t do dope anymore, it sent me to the mental hospital...a few times...)

enough commentary...well I feel like typing tonight...call me lightning...lol B)

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 06:52 AM
i&#39;ve got friends who are in computer major and they dont even know how to put together a computer. i dunno what the hell they do in school except bunch of monbo jombo computer language.

that&#39;s sad

anyway I am planning to buy a laptop computer (for my finance classes) and major desktop upgrades in a couple of months. saved up a little to blow on computers ( a little over 5 grands :o)

:lol:

Keikan
09-21-2003, 06:59 AM
Ya I&#39;ll think i&#39;ll get a new one i guess, like i&#39;m gonna get

AMD 2700+
Some unknown ECS motherboard
1024mb 400ram (which is pricey &#036;287)
maxtor 80gig
ati readoen 9600pro
and all the other misc stuff
&#036;1600 something

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Keikan@21 September 2003 - 06:59
ati readoen 9600pro

that&#39;s some nice shit

adamp2p
09-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@21 September 2003 - 07:52
i&#39;ve got friends who are in computer major and they dont even know how to put together a computer. i dunno what the hell they do in school except bunch of monbo jombo computer language.

that&#39;s sad

anyway I am planning to buy a laptop computer (for my finance classes) and major desktop upgrades in a couple of months. saved up a little to blow on computers ( a little over 5 grands :o)

:lol:
I will tell you one thing, in the United States, a computer major has to take more advanced math than any other major...for a BS (bachelor of science in computer science): the lower division requirements are:

Calculus 1
Calculus 2
Multivariable Calculus
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Physics 1
Physics 2
Physics 3

...thank god I am an economics major...only Calc 2 required...

james_bond_rulez
09-21-2003, 07:52 AM
yeah that&#39;s true

my friend said he had difficulty with the theoratical stuff, like linear algebra but he never had to take physics though...

yeah calculus is ok for me but i never took anymore math beyond what&#39;s required.

and then there is accounting... :D

Somebody1234
09-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Keikan@21 September 2003 - 01:59
Ya I&#39;ll think i&#39;ll get a new one i guess, like i&#39;m gonna get

AMD 2700+
Some unknown ECS motherboard
1024mb 400ram (which is pricey &#036;287)
maxtor 80gig
ati readoen 9600pro
and all the other misc stuff
&#036;1600 something
At least get a good motherboard. It&#39;s the most important component of a PC.

Amarjit
09-21-2003, 11:40 AM
I&#39;m already behind, I purchased my computer just over a year ago now, and it was mid-range back then. My specs are: 2.0GHz Pentium 4, 512KB L2 Cache, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, 40GB EIDE 7200.7rpm, DVD-ROM, CD-RW etc., but I upgrade every few years, I thought my PC was extreme, after upgrading from 400MHz AMD, Duron, 128MB PC100 SDRAM (which soon turned into 64MB, after a DIMM malfunctioned) and a 10GB (:w00t:) HDD, from which I still had 7GB left&#33;