PDA

View Full Version : Torrent Sites Shut Down for Hosting Leaked XMEN Flick:

KARLOZ25
04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
So a couple years ago, many Torrent Sites were taken offline for hosting The Star Wars WorkPrint.

Elite Torrents was one of the many that suffered.

News states that some Torrent site have already been taken offline???
Which ones?

Post them here.

* FileList has stated they will not he uploading it to there site!

eric13
04-02-2009, 06:08 PM
pffft we have piratebay lol

Bone.W.Machine
04-02-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure if I understood the question right.
Anyways, OiNK has been taken down. :turned:

yayyyyyy
04-02-2009, 06:43 PM
i'm not aware of any site that have the word "workprint" on the skiplist of their autotrader/uploadbot xD

KARLOZ25
04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Well news reporting that "site have been shut down for hosting it"

I was just curious as to what sites?

no_bother
04-02-2009, 07:26 PM
also, yesterday was april fols day and I saw it released as titanic 2 lol

crimsoncrow
04-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Well, "sites" could be any manner of file-hosting sites, streaming or downloading - not just torrent sites.

Green Goblin
04-02-2009, 09:07 PM
the site that i use all the time wants nothing to do with the release (banned from being uploaded), i trust their judgment 100%.

Tokeman
04-02-2009, 09:19 PM
If its the actual movie, theres no reason not to upload it. If it was being traced, that only applies to the first upload, not some one turning around and re-upping it.

Even if the file itself had something wierd in it, it could be transcoded.

Its only a workprint anyway, missing some special effects like hulk was.

Theres no real difference between upping this and any other movie, except that its not in theatres yet.

KARLOZ25
04-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I just feel a lot of sites will suffer once this is done. I doubt 20th Century Fox will just shrug this off.

pro267
04-03-2009, 02:05 AM
Theres no real difference between upping this and any other movie, except that its not in theatres yet.
That's exactly the difference, though.

A large portion of a movie's revenues come from the first period after it's released to theaters. Releasing a movie in advance, especially so much time before its actual debut, may have an adverse effect on those revenues. That's one of the reasons that studios tend to get on their high heels and vow to find and punish the people responsible for such leaks.

Night0wl
04-03-2009, 04:15 AM
I wonder if this being released is such a bad thing for the company. The movie isn't finished, so people still have to go to the movies to see what the finished product is like.

I downloaded it, because I figure it will be fun to see what it looks like without the special effects and with visible wires attached to actors.

Who knows.. maybe hundreds of thousand people seeing the work such a movie demands will have a positive effect.

KARLOZ25
04-03-2009, 05:02 AM
Watermarking Could Lead to 'X-Men' Uploader
By David Kravets EmailApril 02, 2009 | 6:36:54 PMCategories: Crime

Picture_17 It's no surprise the Federal Bureau of Investigation is probing the pre-release leak of the upcoming flick, X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Watermarking, in addition to good old-fashioned detective work, likely could to lead to the original culprit.

And if the theft was done in the United States, the defendant faces up to five years in prison under a closely guarded copyright law making it a criminal offense to upload pre-release material. That's because uploading pre-release material – movies or music -- is considered the most egregious form of piracy warranting FBI involvement.

That's why BitTorrent sites like The Pirate Bay, Mininova and others may be stuffed with unauthorized copyright content, but the leechers and seeders of these sites generally – but not always -- are breaking civil laws and face lawsuits or having their internet connection suspended.

All the while, camcording or using a cell phone camera at the movie theater is becoming the latest piracy front as the uploading of pre-release motion pictures is becoming rare. That's because the studios are beefing up security, and are adding watermarks to their pre-release, in-house versions – all of which makes it easier to track an original uploader.

"While the majority of all newly released pirated movies are due to camcords, there are unfortunately rare instances when a movie is stolen prior to its theatrical release," the Motion Picture Association of America said in a statement. "Over the last several years the studios have significantly increased security at all levels of the production and post-production process that have had a positive impact on reducing instances of these leaks."

Maybe that's why the studios just reported record, global box-office sales of $28.1 billion last year, a 5 percent increase from the year before.

Watermarking is why 20th Century Fox is cocksure the purloiner of its Hugh Jackman movie, to debut May 1 in the United States, will be apprehended. The source of the leak, the studio maintained in a statement, "will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law." Fox employs USVO watermarking technology.

Codes that are digitally woven into a DVD copy, watermarking helped nab a Los Angeles man in February accused of stealing a pre-release copy of Mike Meyers' The Love Guru. Defendant Jack Yates faces five years for allegedly pilfering a DVD from a Los Angeles print shop where he worked. The shop was producing a screener DVD for Jay Leno's "Tonight Show."

Digital forensics and detective work have lead to the arrest of an Illinois man in 2004 who uploaded several screener copies of movies such as Something's Gotta Give, The Last Samurai and others. The defendant, Russell Sprague of Illinois, was found dead in his Los Angeles jail cell while waiting to be sentenced to three years in prison for criminal copyright infringement.

Sometimes, however, it is not known who originally pilfered a pre-release movie.

EliteTorrents admin Scott McCausland, and several others connected to the now-defunct site, were handed as much as five months in prison for, among other things, releasing Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith in 2005.

And it's not just movies the FBI tracks when it comes to pre-release material. Just ask Kevin Cogill, the Los Angeles man looking at six months in prison for uploading nine, pre-release tracks to the Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy. He was nabbed after the Recording Industry Association of America traced Cogill's IP address as the source of the uploaded songs.

eric13
04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
ipt has 2 i think lol

Tokeman
04-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Ok, I can see watermarking leading to the person who leaked it, but the original uploader? No excuse there, there are way too many open networks you can jump on and start from (yes, maybe a little slow, but its a workprint, not a dvdr) and not be traced ever.
I have no sympathy for the people who get arrested unless they were the owner of said unsecured network (again, their problem)
Slackers

yayyyyyy
04-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Watermarking Could Lead to 'X-Men' Uploader
By David Kravets EmailApril 02, 2009 | 6:36:54 PMCategories: Crime

Picture_17 It's no surprise the Federal Bureau of Investigation is probing the pre-release leak of the upcoming flick, X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Watermarking, in addition to good old-fashioned detective work, likely could to lead to the original culprit.

And if the theft was done in the United States, the defendant faces up to five years in prison under a closely guarded copyright law making it a criminal offense to upload pre-release material. That's because uploading pre-release material – movies or music -- is considered the most egregious form of piracy warranting FBI involvement.

That's why BitTorrent sites like The Pirate Bay, Mininova and others may be stuffed with unauthorized copyright content, but the leechers and seeders of these sites generally – but not always -- are breaking civil laws and face lawsuits or having their internet connection suspended.

All the while, camcording or using a cell phone camera at the movie theater is becoming the latest piracy front as the uploading of pre-release motion pictures is becoming rare. That's because the studios are beefing up security, and are adding watermarks to their pre-release, in-house versions – all of which makes it easier to track an original uploader.

"While the majority of all newly released pirated movies are due to camcords, there are unfortunately rare instances when a movie is stolen prior to its theatrical release," the Motion Picture Association of America said in a statement. "Over the last several years the studios have significantly increased security at all levels of the production and post-production process that have had a positive impact on reducing instances of these leaks."

Maybe that's why the studios just reported record, global box-office sales of $28.1 billion last year, a 5 percent increase from the year before.

Watermarking is why 20th Century Fox is cocksure the purloiner of its Hugh Jackman movie, to debut May 1 in the United States, will be apprehended. The source of the leak, the studio maintained in a statement, "will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law." Fox employs USVO watermarking technology.

Codes that are digitally woven into a DVD copy, watermarking helped nab a Los Angeles man in February accused of stealing a pre-release copy of Mike Meyers' The Love Guru. Defendant Jack Yates faces five years for allegedly pilfering a DVD from a Los Angeles print shop where he worked. The shop was producing a screener DVD for Jay Leno's "Tonight Show."

Digital forensics and detective work have lead to the arrest of an Illinois man in 2004 who uploaded several screener copies of movies such as Something's Gotta Give, The Last Samurai and others. The defendant, Russell Sprague of Illinois, was found dead in his Los Angeles jail cell while waiting to be sentenced to three years in prison for criminal copyright infringement.

Sometimes, however, it is not known who originally pilfered a pre-release movie.

EliteTorrents admin Scott McCausland, and several others connected to the now-defunct site, were handed as much as five months in prison for, among other things, releasing Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith in 2005.

And it's not just movies the FBI tracks when it comes to pre-release material. Just ask Kevin Cogill, the Los Angeles man looking at six months in prison for uploading nine, pre-release tracks to the Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy. He was nabbed after the Recording Industry Association of America traced Cogill's IP address as the source of the uploaded songs.

suck to be an US citizen eh? :lol:

iLOVENZB
04-03-2009, 01:34 PM
ipt has 2 i think lol

I beg to differ

http://www.lookpic.com/files/Screenshot_118.png

Congrats to the leaker too but fuck me are you in trouble when(if) they catch you.

You'll get convicted with a harsher punishment then if you're an "average joe" because you stole under the grounds of a servant (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&hs=xT4&q=convicted+servant+stealing&btnG=Search&meta=).

:fst:

Tinfish
04-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Pretty sure it was simply removed from the site hosting it, and i think it was more of a filesharing, than a bit torrent site.

something like rapidfileshare, that sort of thing, and the site wasnt shut down.

only what i heard on the news, dont know for sure obviously

Squizzle
04-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Pretty sure it was simply removed from the site hosting it, and i think it was more of a filesharing, than a bit torrent site.

something like rapidfileshare, that sort of thing, and the site wasnt shut down.

only what i heard on the news, dont know for sure obviously

What the hell are you talking about?

It was global pre'd.

eric13
04-03-2009, 05:06 PM
ipt has 2 i think lol

I beg to differ

http://www.lookpic.com/files/Screenshot_118.png

Congrats to the leaker too but fuck me are you in trouble when(if) they catch you.

You'll get convicted with a harsher punishment then if you're an "average joe" because you stole under the grounds of a servant (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&hs=xT4&q=convicted+servant+stealing&btnG=Search&meta=).

:fst:
oh wow haha seems everybody wants piece of that cake :naughty: :P

DV8type
04-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Im surprised many dont know this....
Releasing it prior to theatrical rls is actually a FEDERAL OFFENSE. While uploading after is considered a civil offense. there is a big difference. When it is a federal offense you actually serve jail time plus fine, while with a civil case you only face a monetary judgement

Personally i dont touch any movies especially those which have not been rlsd in theaters. Especially those that have a huge conglomerate like 20th Century that have the resources to trackdown the most prolific offenders

Detale
04-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Well Chronic Tracker sent a mass PM saying they wouldn't host it.

iLOVENZB
04-04-2009, 12:36 AM
It's on TPB but they'll get away with it :P

tintin123
04-04-2009, 01:15 AM
The ONLY reason elite torrents was shut down was because they were stupidly hosted on US soil. Also, the owners were .us citizens.

FBI = FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION = U.S. FEDERAL GOV'T.

Please tell how they'd shut down a torrent site that's hosted in Canada or any other country....

Everybody is so damn paranoid. Use a seedbox, ftps, , proxies, VPNs and BNCs and you'll be just fine.

Tokeman
04-04-2009, 01:52 AM
The ONLY reason elite torrents was shut down was because they were stupidly hosted on US soil. Also, the owners were .us citizens.

FBI = FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION = U.S. FEDERAL GOV'T.

Please tell how they'd shut down a torrent site that's hosted in Canada or any other country....

Everybody is so damn paranoid. Use a seedbox, ftps, , proxies, VPNs and BNCs and you'll be just fine.

Exactly... except the canada part, they bend when we push

afterburn999
04-04-2009, 02:14 AM
So who exactly here are in trouble ?

Of course the person who leaked it, without a doubt. But are uploaders in Trouble too ?

Are Downloaders in trouble ? or only in trouble if you are from the USA ?

silvertec
04-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Many peeps spent jail time over the Star wars 3 work print
the original uploader to 1 site
ET owner and some others
Sites should be worried could bring extra heat
Been a long time BT member remember when all that shit happened, also remember the big scene ring that followed the feds step it up

TP635
04-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Now I know why one of the movies that I downloaded and seed back just disappear from the tracker; it was pre-release.

iLOVENZB
04-04-2009, 07:16 AM

Hmm, I would never use a SeedBox, FTP, Proxies etc on US soil, considering they'll happily release log details to the Authorities if they suspected the "downloader" to be infringing copyright.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/CathachOfStColumba.jpg :whistling

Vinceftw
04-04-2009, 07:58 AM
"Digital forensics and detective work have lead to the arrest of an Illinois man in 2004 who uploaded several screener copies of movies such as Something's Gotta Give, The Last Samurai and others. The defendant, Russell Sprague of Illinois, was found dead in his Los Angeles jail cell while waiting to be sentenced to three years in prison for criminal copyright infringement."
wtf?!
so there wasnt any torrent site shut down for hosting it? shouldnt i feel comfortable leeching/uploading it on a small tracker anyways bc they wouldnt bother to investigate?

iLOVENZB
04-04-2009, 08:08 AM
so there wasnt any torrent site shut down for hosting it? shouldnt i feel comfortable leeching/uploading it on a small tracker anyways bc they wouldnt bother to investigate?

Meh, some people still leech/download on public trackers.

It's a matter of how much you think "they" will look for you :shutup:

merwais
04-04-2009, 01:22 PM
it's all bullshit.

Just download/upload, who cares Movie is released or not.
Download and Enjoy ;)

no_bother
04-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Its uploaded for us to download. If your afraid, dont download it. If your afraid, go to all your sites, type in the url and add /delacc.php thatll set you straight. if your worried about being done for copyright infringement then yu reallly dont have any place in BT. If I was caught i would be FUCKED. I have 2 or 3 terrabytes of downloaded movies, games, music, etc, imagine if that was found too like?
half the fun is knowing its illegal IMO, its not about saving money, its to prove a point.

Qlix
04-04-2009, 01:42 PM
I won't download that piece of crap anyways, so I could care less. And the sites I'm on banned it for the time being (most of them) to avoid the publicity.

iLOVENZB
04-04-2009, 11:19 PM
I won't download that piece of crap anyways, so I could care less. And the sites I'm on banned it for the time being (most of them) to avoid the publicity.

You should worry if you're in Sweden :P.

There's always Usenet?

Tokeman
04-05-2009, 01:18 AM
News Groups are always a good way to get something where you don't want to be seen uploading. I wonder where only downloading (not uploading or seeding) the film lies legally, federal offense still or lesser crime for a movie still unreleased?
/me goes looking for his news group credentials

iLOVENZB
04-05-2009, 03:22 AM
News Groups are always a good way to get something where you don't want to be seen uploading. I wonder where only downloading (not uploading or seeding) the film lies legally, federal offense still or lesser crime for a movie still unreleased?
/me goes looking for his news group credentials

Whats so bad about metadata :P.

Most Anti-piracy agencies go for the mainstream "scene" release groups first and then work down the ladder.

I actually don't know how a p2p encoder like aXXo is still active. Why haven't they caught him yet?

KARLOZ25
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Bitsoup has pulled all there copies off there site.

yayyyyyy
04-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Bitsoup has pulled all there copies off there site.

that's what you get after runnin open signups... :shifty:

tl has 7 copies of that film... and many more users... maybe less compromised accounts? :)