PDA

View Full Version : Got a dedicated OVH server but do not know how to start it....

pridah
04-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Hello guys,

I am from the netherlands and I got a OVH dedicated server today based on Debian 4.0.

The problem I am facing now is that I do not know how to get it started, download and upload torrents etc, login to it, use it...

I am really a noob in this stuff.

I got a IP address of the dedicated server, a name (kimsufi...blabla), username, and a password...

But how do I get this thing started?!

Please help me out and there m8 be something in it for you aswell :yup:

Hope to hear from some of you.

Carlpb
04-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Check out this tutorial
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-naqs-complete-setup-guide-linux-seedboxes-fedora-corecentosdebianubuntu-281331 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-naqs-complete-setup-guide-linux-seedboxes-fedora-corecentosdebianubuntu-281331)

(Copy and paste, for some reason it is not clickable)

redMonster
04-04-2009, 05:07 PM
You may also want to install rtorrent instead of utorrent. If yes, search google for 'installing utorrent on ubuntu/debian'.

pridah
04-04-2009, 05:08 PM
so my dedicated server is linux based? :P

redMonster
04-04-2009, 05:09 PM
What do you think Debian means?

pridah
04-04-2009, 05:10 PM
What do you think Debian means?

please m8 enlighten me, I am not up for a guess seeing I am a real noob in this. I am really glad you and carl are helping me out!

redMonster
04-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Download putty (google it). Put your hostname in putty, click Open. It will then ask you for your username and password. Put it and login. Then install the things as mentioned in NAQ's guide posted by Carlpb. Basically, you need to install four things. First, VNC Server, second FTP server, third wine, and fourth fluxbox. Then you need to put fluxbox in .vnc/xstartup file and then launch vncserver. Then you can run utorrent via wine once you are in VNC. This is all given in a very detailed manner in the NAQ's guide. Follow it step by step.

pridah
04-04-2009, 06:23 PM
yo m8 thanks!

but when I enter this:

# apt-get install vncserver wine xterm fluxbox vsftpd firefox vnstat

it says:

E: Package vncserver has no installation candidate

same goes for vsftpd and vnstat

I also get the following error:

# update-menus

gives result:

-bash: update-menus: command not found

could someone help me out? seems it's not installing vncserver, vsftpd, and vnstat... :(

EDIT 1: if I do apt-get install vnc4server, it installs successfully, but what about vsftpd and vnstat and the '# update-menus' command that doesn't work? Also if I install it as vnc4server instead of vncserver, do I need to type this:

$ mkdir .vnc
$ nano .vnc/xstartup
fluxbox (ctrl + o, ctrl + x
$ chmod +x .vnc/xstartup

or do I need to type:

$ mkdir .vnc4
$ nano .vnc4/xstartup
fluxbox (ctrl + o, ctrl + x
$ chmod +x .vnc4/xstartup

WATCH THE 4!

pridah
04-04-2009, 06:30 PM
I did apt-get update 10 times, still this result:

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

and still this:

E: Package vncserver has no installation candidate

Carlpb
04-04-2009, 06:44 PM
I would recommend doing a reinstall with Ubuntu Desktop.Then you can just use NoMachine to connect as you would use RDP with windows. It is easier to use than debian because you get a gui and you can do many things simiularly as you would with windows.

But if you don't want to go that route,
give:

sudo apt-get install vncserver wine xterm fluxbox vsftpd firefox vnstat

a try

pridah
04-04-2009, 06:47 PM
I would recommend doing a reinstall with Ubuntu Desktop.Then you can just use NoMachine to connect as you would use RDP with windows. It is easier to use than debian because you get a gui and you can do many things simiularly as you would with windows.

But if you don't want to go that route,
give:

sudo apt-get install vncserver wine xterm fluxbox vsftpd firefox vnstat

a try

yo Carl thanks for the reply, but when I type it in it says this:

-bash: sudo: command not found

redMonster
04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Try apt-get install tightvncserver

FransTormer
04-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Judging on the level of knowledge from pridah (no offense), I would also inquire having the machine re-installed with Ubuntu Desktop or (if funds allow) Server 2003 Web Edition although you need to shell out another 15 to 20 Euro/month for the license.

Debian is, in my opinion, not the most friendly OS to start with, especially if you got no/little experience on Linux-distros.

redMonster
04-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't agree with this. If he has to use the box only for a seedbox, he can do it without any prior knowledge. I remember I had my first box from leeware. I don't remember which OS it had, but it had the yum package manager. I didn't know anything about linux back then (Its another thing that I still don't know anything). But still I managed to set up my box with utorrent pretty easily. Now I don't take more than 15 minutes to set up any box I buy. And I am still a linux noob.

FransTormer
04-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Ofcourse we don't have to agree but something running out-of-the-box like Ubuntu Desktop could make life a lot easier and still have the opportunity to use a shell and/or a graphical file-manager to check/see/edit files where needed.

dixieuk
04-04-2009, 07:45 PM
private message carlpb to help you install he did it for my kimsufi and it runs and has run great ever since the guys a real gent

Carlpb
04-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the reference dixie, I am glad to hear everything is still running.

mo3adz
04-05-2009, 08:17 AM
go to the manger and reformat yr os to centos 5.2 its the best,,, i try every os their and not work for me dunno why .. but c5.2 works like charm :D :P

pridah
04-05-2009, 05:08 PM
changed my OS to ubuntu804-desktop - 32 bits :)

that should be easier, right? ^^

ayush12345
04-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Ok I jus wanna know if v can run and control a linux seedbox from a windows desktop??
I mean If I am using windows on muy home computer, Can I have a Linux Seedbox. I am not able to get anything into my mind. Can someone please help me out??

@ redMonster: Hey even I am from India. U seem to know quite a lot about this. Can v have a verbal conversation so that things can b clearer for me?? I am not able to send u a PM, nor there are any contact details u have in ur profile. Can u please help me out??

redMonster
04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Yes, you can surely run a linux seedbox. Do you think that all seedboxers are so geeky that they run linux. Most of the websites which you visit, mails you send, they are all hosted on linux. And believe me, it is not really difficult to set up a seedbox.

About the contact details, look in my profile. I added an email.

ayush12345
04-06-2009, 05:17 PM
hey I sent u an email... Can u please add your messenger ID as well..Please do help me..

redMonster
04-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I replied to your mail hours ago. :)

Carlpb
04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Now that you are running Ubuntu Desktop:

You can connect to the server now via NoMachine
http://www.nomachine.com/select-package-client.php

You can install wine and then uTorrent, these guides may help
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware
http://www.howtoubuntu.com/2007/10/21/how-to-install-utorrent-in-ubuntu-with-wine.html

Here is a very good guide for installing wine, utorrent and Webui:
http://www.jumbabox.com/2008/06/installing-the-utorrent-and-webui-client-on-ubuntu-hardy/

This guide should help you a lot.
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/

You can then set up the built in FTP server for install a 3rd party FTP server, I prefer ProFTPD.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=79588

seedboxhost
04-10-2009, 04:06 PM
n00b alert...for the absolute linux virgin

I dont know linux whatso ever and used to pay to get flux installed till one week i was skint and had a fresh server from ovh[the reformatting from there is awesome]
I then went here :-
installing flux
http://server-servers.com/install-torrentflux-b4rt-on-ubuntu/

installing webmin
http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-install-webmin-in-ubuntu.html

if your running ubuntu desktop then gproftpd is in the depos.Its also easy to set up...
Good luck...

first time took bout 6hrs and 2 formats later,I found it installed easier on ubuntu server,It now takes me bout 15mins to do and Ive only been able to install it 3 weeks myself:)

Wine and utorrent FOR ME in ubuntu desktop uploaded so slow that i had to ditch it,this was my original plan.Rtorrent is difficult to use but far easier to install.

ayush12345
04-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks a lot Carlpb for those tutorials... Couldn't get through with naq's guide.. followed the ones u gave and it took about 7 mins to set up the server... It was really awesome... Its been about 20hours from the time I got the server. I have accessed the server quite sometime now but when I try log in now it gets in but disconnects automatically every now and then giving the error "Connection Timeout". Is there a possibility of a problem being from my side?? Thanks a lot Carl

Carlpb
04-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Try giving it a reboot via Putty:

sudo shutdown now -r

Snarkyone
04-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Good to see that you got it configured.

ayush12345
04-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Ok If I shut it down using Putty how do I restart it??

redMonster
04-25-2009, 08:05 AM
The -r attribute means reboot.

Or you could just do 'sudo reboot'.

terrabyte911
07-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks a lot Carlpb for those tutorials... Couldn't get through with naq's guide.. followed the ones u gave and it took about 7 mins to set up the server... It was really awesome... Its been about 20hours from the time I got the server. I have accessed the server quite sometime now but when I try log in now it gets in but disconnects automatically every now and then giving the error "Connection Timeout". Is there a possibility of a problem being from my side?? Thanks a lot Carl

This drove me mad for a while till I figured it was NX Client
Close the client
bring up Windows Task Manager
Close any process's that begin with nx
Restart the client and log in to your server

NX plays up now and then.