PDA

View Full Version : is ratio-less the future?

brento
04-04-2009, 05:04 PM
i have recently received invites to both PTN, and GFT, and i have to say, ratio-less is simply an outstanding concept.

- people can leech what they please, regardless of how popular it is.
- a good bonus system will give members a reason to seed the torrent for just as long as they would on a normal tracker.

so my question to you guys is, will there be a day when all trackers are ratioless? to me it seems like ratio-free is just so much better. opinions?

pridah
04-04-2009, 05:06 PM
no it will not become most popular in my eyes because there is no sense in keeping your torrent active after 48 hours. So most people who do not have seedbox etc. will just remove the torrent from utorrent if they have uploaded for 48 hours :)

so it's bad for amount of seeders.

Lucifer9999
04-04-2009, 05:31 PM
with a minimum seed time of, let's say, 7 days, yes, would be the next step in tracker world!!!

cinephilia
04-04-2009, 05:38 PM
definitely not.
it works for trackers like GFT, iTS or FTN cause they are small "communities" with more "conscious" users than the majority of trackers (even the collectors are more careful cause the tracker is "rare").
put a ratioless system in any other tracker, it will (probably) fail concerning seeding time. many users would cap their upload speed for xx hours and only seed back on new torrents to buffer their account (to reach userclasses you know).
actually, the ratio system is probably the only reason why people keep their torrent seeding for a while.

merwais
04-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Download any torrent you want and always limit your upload speed to 1kb, after 48 hours remove it :)

1 kb for 100 active torrents, after 48 hours remove and enjoy the life.

No Ratio = No Speed !

1000possibleclaws
04-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Well as bandwidth becomes cheaper technology gets better as well, which means larger file sizes. You can see this in the 1080p blurays which go between 25-50 gb. So yeah I don't think no-ratio will ever become the norm.

centurion
04-04-2009, 06:23 PM
the thing is with ratio free u often need a nice fast box on each torrent so ppl can get decent speeds, else u just get loads of things with 1 slow seeder.

NippleCake
04-04-2009, 06:25 PM
No ratio is already becoming overused. Ratios are much better. Tbh the best system is one which incoporates seeding time as well as the ratio which tells you how well you are sharing.

mrnobody
04-04-2009, 06:26 PM
no way.

a while ago the only tracker that had no ratio was FTN...maybe there were few more but FTN was the significant one from what i remember.

then another site iTS (?) implemented no ratio...and them bam bam bam no ratio trackers growing like mushroom.

all no ratio trackers that exist today still run on ratio free concept ftn created over a year ago! they still have those "have to seed to 1:1 ratio or minimum of xx hours" rule. none, have actually experimented with it. most of them have sticked with 72 or 48 or w/e hours seed time from day one....WHY? just for the heak of it.

most of these trackers probably have not asked themselves "does ratio-free really work?"...they likely just did ratio free coz it's 'kwel' to do so. i mean, if they actually knew if it works or not...if they actually had experimented with it, their seeder/leecher column in browse.php would not be empty.

just watch and see...90% of new ratio-free trakcer have or will phail. :01:

P.S. i'm not against ratio-free concept. I love it. But i certaily don't like when trackers implement stuff, especially those that someone else already did, just for the heak of it.

NippleCake
04-04-2009, 07:11 PM
no way.

a while ago the only tracker that had no ratio was FTN...maybe there were few more but FTN was the significant one from what i remember.

then another site iTS (?) implemented no ratio...and them bam bam bam no ratio trackers growing like mushroom.

all no ratio trackers that exist today still run on ratio free concept ftn created over a year ago! they still have those "have to seed to 1:1 ratio or minimum of xx hours" rule. none, have actually experimented with it. most of them have sticked with 72 or 48 or w/e hours seed time from day one....WHY? just for the heak of it.

most of these trackers probably have not asked themselves "does ratio-free really work?"...they likely just did ratio free coz it's 'kwel' to do so. i mean, if they actually knew if it works or not...if they actually had experimented with it, their seeder/leecher column in browse.php would not be empty.

just watch and see...90% of new ratio-free trakcer have or will phail. :01:

P.S. i'm not against ratio-free concept. I love it. But i certaily don't like when trackers implement stuff, especially those that someone else already did, just for the heak of it.

What he said. Although i tihnk PTN kinda experimented by just having total traffic, although that still has the basis of seeding for a certain time or back to 1:1

Qlix
04-04-2009, 07:37 PM
lol dude, its was like the second no-ratio tracker and it already failed. the only successful no-ratio site is FTN. All the others are like 2k members who are inactive. Pfft.

Bone.W.Machine
04-04-2009, 07:40 PM
FTN isn't the first ratio free tracker just fyi.:dabsrod:

Qlix
04-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Perhaps not, but it's the only one that succeeded to date.

NippleCake
04-04-2009, 07:41 PM
lol dude, its was like the second no-ratio tracker and it already failed. the only successful no-ratio site is FTN. All the others are like 2k members who are inactive. Pfft.

PTN has great torrent activity, it exceeds ftn on some levels.

Bone.W.Machine
04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I know a tracker that has been ratio free for years. (it was even ratio free when it started I think?)
And it is a successful one, so FTN isn't the only one. :smilie4:

Qlix
04-04-2009, 07:48 PM

On what levels exactly?

I know a tracker that has been ratio free for years. (it was even ratio free when it started I think?)

Which one would that be?

NippleCake
04-04-2009, 07:51 PM

On what levels exactly?

Not sure if you are there....but check the amount of seeders/leechers on the torrents. Then check ftn.

Qlix
04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
On what levels exactly?

Not sure if you are there....but check the amount of seeders/leechers on the torrents. Then check ftn.

I'm there, I was one of the first people to staff that site. And most things does not get snatched over at PTN. Speeds also suffer since everyone can upload.

cinephilia
04-04-2009, 07:57 PM

Which one would that be?
Demonoid (?)
that's not really a "ratio free tracker" but the ratio doesn't really counts on this tracker.

sake
04-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Which one would that be?
Demonoid (?)
that's not really a "ratio free tracker" but the ratio doesn't really counts on this tracker.

Why not counts? I have ratio there. Everything is fine.

NippleCake
04-04-2009, 07:59 PM

I'm there, I was one of the first people to staff that site. And most things does not get snatched over at PTN. Speeds also suffer since everyone can upload.

Most things... ..right, the first 8 torrents on the brosw page have at least one snatch. Packs get snatches in double figures, loads of torrents get plenty of snatches. Just because you were staff there at the very start doesnt make a difference to me, in fact you didnt last very long, (i wont ask why? :dabs:) so i tihnk things may be quite different now :happy:

Qlix
04-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Demonoid isn't even a good site.

Most things... ..right, the first 8 torrents on the brosw page have at least one snatch. Packs get snatches in double figures, loads of torrents get plenty of snatches. Just because you were staff there at the very start doesnt make a difference to me, in fact you didnt last very long, (i wont ask why? :dabs:) so i tihnk things may be quite different now :happy:

Because half the Staff were traders, I resigned. And the retention isn't very good there either.

cinephilia
04-04-2009, 08:02 PM
yeah, i take care of my ratio as well but the reality is that you can't get banned from Demonoid because of a low ratio.

Bone.W.Machine
04-04-2009, 08:05 PM

Which one would that be?
Demonoid (?)
that's not really a "ratio free tracker" but the ratio doesn't really counts on this tracker.No, it's not Demonoid.
It's a tracker that specializes itself on motorsport. :artist:

sake
04-04-2009, 08:06 PM
yeah, i take care of my ratio as well but the reality is that you can't get banned from Demonoid because of a low ratio.

Oh ... ok :) I thought something else. So .. everybody is doing whatever he wants. I want to have a good ratio, so ... :) Leechers should be happy :D

cinephilia
04-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Oh ... ok :) I thought something else. So .. everybody is doing whatever he wants. I want to have a good ratio, so ... :) Leechers should be happy :D
same here. unfortunately, many people don't share this way of thinking.
for example, i've uploaded a torrent 1 month ago: 50+ snatchers and i'm the only seeder atm... :ermm:

Qlix
04-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Duck tape.

sake
04-04-2009, 08:16 PM
same here. unfortunately, many people don't share this way of thinking.
for example, i've uploaded a torrent 1 month ago: 50+ snatchers and i'm the only seeder atm... :ermm:

Well known :)
This is the right way of thinking, so ... i am feeling comfortable :)

Duck tape.

:blink:

jasperr
04-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Duck tape.

Yes, please use it to shut your mouth before you end up sticking your whole leg into it AGAIN, Eric!... :shutup:

Qlix
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Duck tape.

Yes, please use it to shut your mouth before you end up sticking your whole leg into it AGAIN, Eric!... :shutup:

Be quiet, trader. :frusty:

Bone.W.Machine
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Be quiet, trader. :frusty:His title is a lie? :shutup:

saulin
04-04-2009, 09:03 PM
I see torrents as something of the past now. Usenet is my main source for everything. No ratio, no speed to worry. For $10-11 a month is more than worth it. Besides rapidshare and other file sharing paid services, Usenet will have the longest retention as well. I don't think ratio free will be the solution for torrents through. I do agree that there are so many torrents that get overseeded and many that don't get seeded. I think the best system BCG has it. Try grabbing just anout anything and you will get great speeds and also you can find very old stuff there.

Vitality
04-04-2009, 09:09 PM
No way.... SCT/TL examples of Ratio System ,tons of leechers and successful ones

jasperr
04-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Be quiet, trader. :frusty:His title is a lie? :shutup:

lol.... that's how easy it is here to start shit...people will believe damm near anything won't they....?

Don't listen to eric .. A.K.A Qlix.... he's just a crying bitch because he cant get back on a certain site... now that i think about it.. not any site for that matter lol..

cinephilia
04-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I see torrents as something of the past now. Usenet is my main source for everything. No ratio, no speed to worry. For $10-11 a month is more than worth it. Besides rapidshare and other file sharing paid services, Usenet will have the longest retention as well.
that's not true.
trackers like Karagarga have a better retention than Usenet.
many reseed requests for 2-3 years old torrents are filled every weeks.

Chewie
04-05-2009, 03:13 AM
I see torrents as something of the past now. Usenet is my main source for everything. No ratio, no speed to worry. For $10-11 a month is more than worth it. Besides rapidshare and other file sharing paid services, Usenet will have the longest retention as well.
that's not true.
Reseeding is not the same as retention. You can request a repost on usenet and I've seen them fulfilled within days for games up to ten years old.

As far as 'no-ratio' sites go, SITR and FSC have been operating 1:1 / xxHRS / seedbonus policies for years and though SITR looks to be becoming a ghost-tracker, FSC still thrives.

Gilgameshx
04-05-2009, 05:05 AM
Just imagine some music tracker with no ratio system... No one would care to seed older music...

The_Martinator
04-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I'll have to join the people saying ratio-less is not the future.

As mentioned, it works with small, community oriented trackers, where people want to genuenly help the tracker by seeding stuff for months. At big trackers, people would stop seeding as soon as they reached the minimum seed time.

Der0
04-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Ratio-less trackers should be dedicated to some content like movies or games for example..If u make a general 0day tracker ratio-less there will be a lot of poor-seeded torrents which will lead to nothing..So ratio-less for "secret trackers" and ratio based trackers for general 0day content..

john pal
04-05-2009, 02:31 PM
I believe in no ratio tracker. I know, I'm a dreamer... In the end is almost the same sh*t. No ratio doesn't mean no rules. There are scripts that can detect cap speeds and other stuff. The problem is that people always goes in their best interest and not in the interest of the community. And unfortunately their are the biggest part of bt world users.

cinephilia
04-05-2009, 02:55 PM
that's not true.
Reseeding is not the same as retention. You can request a repost on usenet and I've seen them fulfilled within days for games up to ten years old.
my mistake, you're right on this one.

mievmo
04-05-2009, 03:11 PM
sounds good to me :/

technodrome
04-05-2009, 05:07 PM
No ratio system is a very good system but i don't think that every tracker change their system to no-ratio.. Some trackers need ratio system..

Qlix
04-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Big trackers are probably better off with ratio to be honest.

primevil
04-05-2009, 06:20 PM
No ratio will only work with small trackers or very large trackers.

Bone.W.Machine
04-05-2009, 06:21 PM
No ratio will only work with small trackers or very large trackers.
But not the medium ones? :unsure:

kevinsert
04-05-2009, 06:25 PM
i hope SCT Will be no ratio and they wont sell GB's upload with money..Fucktards i hate sct..they bring the p2l in torrent..

redMonster
04-05-2009, 06:31 PM
i hope SCT Will be no ratio and they wont sell GB's upload with money..Fucktards i hate sct..they bring the p2l in torrent..No way. People will stop using seedboxes. Only those users who genuinely are good seeders will keep seeding. But the speed will really suffer. Speed for which ScT is known for. Of course this is just a theory. Not sure how it works out practically.

Rafinator
04-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Ratio requirements keep torrents alive. Without it there is no reason to keep seeding a file.

DV8type
04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
IMO, for most trackers the ratio-free concept is a gimmick meant to attract users. There are a couple of examples of successful trackers who run it but the vast majority are run by n00bs trying to be l33t. There are pros and cons to all systems, but imo its very hard for a ratio free tracker to succeed especially w/ the current state of torrents. Conditioning the user to understand that the cornerstone of torrents is sharing (give back what you take) is imo the best route to take for the overall health of a tracker.

1000possibleclaws
04-07-2009, 08:45 PM
i hope SCT Will be no ratio and they wont sell GB's upload with money..Fucktards i hate sct..they bring the p2l in torrent..No way. People will stop using seedboxes. Only those users who genuinely are good seeders will keep seeding. But the speed will really suffer. Speed for which ScT is known for. Of course this is just a theory. Not sure how it works out practically.

SCT's current system works great, there's absolutely no reason for them to change anything.