PDA

View Full Version : The Insanity of English Football

JPaul
04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
A further sign of the acute financial predicament of the English game was posted yesterday when Manchester United's parent company, Red Football Joint Venture, published their accounts for season 2007-2008, when the club won both league and Champions League.

Turnover rose by 20% to £256.2m, levels never previously seen by an English club, but despite making a remarkable £20m profit on transfer deals (the full value of the Tevez purchase was not recognised in these accounts), they still made a loss of £44.8m, with debt rising to £692m.

While interest rates are falling for most of the world, Manchester United are stuck with Payment in Kind loans at a rate of 14.25%, the outstanding value of which rose from £152m to £175.5m during the season as the company was unable to find alternative finance. Again.

As with most the clubs in the FA Premier League, Manchester United are a bloated monolith. The current business model is unsustainable, debts are rapidly approaching three times turnover and unless significant player sales occur, debt will continue to rise for years to come.

Interest payments totalled £68.8m and that is just to keep the debt standing still. It will take a generation of penance to meet interest payments and pay down the loans to get the club within striking distance of where it was before the Glazers took over.

And let's not forget, this is without the football income bubble bursting!

http://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/2009/04/red-for-danger-in-english-foot.php

Fuck.

Cabalo
04-10-2009, 03:54 PM
real madrid suffers from the same problem. clubs will have to make serious investments in their youth schools during the next years, or the whole international transfers structure may crumble.

JPaul
04-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Real Madrid Revenues To Hit All-Time High

The world's most profitable football club continue to triumph over the global credit crunch, and with flying marks...
31 Mar 2009 17:57:09

Businesses around the world have been shedding tears ever since early September, when the global financial crisis took its toll on the world's largest corporations. The same can't be said about Real Madrid though, who released their financial expectations for the 2008-09 season to reveal some shocking revelations.

According to a report released by Agence France-Presse, Real Madrid have announced that they are expecting a record €407 million in revenue by June, up from €366 million during the same time last year.

Even more impressive, pre-tax profits are expected to rise to a whopping €58 million. This would see Real Madrid emerge as the world's highest earner in terms of both revenue and profit.

As for the club debts, which have been a controversial issue ever since the infamous 'Galatico' Era, they are expected to drop to €125 million, a world-record 37.5 per cent decrease in total.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1705/real-madrid/2009/03/31/1184915/real-madrid-revenues-to-hit-all-time-high

Not really the same situation I wouldn't have thought. Not by a long way.

Biggles
04-10-2009, 06:12 PM
In accountancy speak "it will all end in tears".

JPaul
04-10-2009, 06:37 PM

You and your jargon.

Explain it for the hoi polloi.

Something Else
04-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Does that mean we'll have to won the league cup every year? :no:

As long as we get £100 for Nani i'll be happy.

Biggles
04-10-2009, 07:24 PM
It will be Gretna all over again.

Alien5
04-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Do you wish that Sky TV hadn't ruined English Football?
Ever since they've had the monopoly of the Premiership/ league football has moved away from it's roots of being the working class mans sport to the businessmans box/ mega expensive rich mans sport it is today. I for one wish they'd never existed.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090128020422AASC5by

Something Else
04-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I think it's all Jade Goody's fault.

Alien5
04-10-2009, 07:38 PM
You would say that.

Something Else
04-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Well she was responsible for McDonald's turnover rising 200% and therefore the capitalisation of modern society.

Alien5
04-10-2009, 07:43 PM
:whoosh:

JPaul
04-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Do you wish that Sky TV hadn't ruined English Football?
Ever since they've had the monopoly of the Premiership/ league football has moved away from it's roots of being the working class mans sport to the businessmans box/ mega expensive rich mans sport it is today. I for one wish they'd never existed.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090128020422AASC5by

yeah but the clubs are the ones charging you to get in .The more money they get off sky the cheaper it should be ,the clubs are the real villains here ,its estimated that they get about £50.000.000 every year of sky .Newcastle have a left back spanish bloke who is possibly the worst player ive ever seen ,they try to get rid of him but hes getting 40 grand a week which means they have to keep him even though they cant play him because hes so bad he will get them relegated so the players are doing well out of you too.i dont blame sky its a good service

Alien5
04-10-2009, 08:35 PM
:lol: Its not really about Football anymore its like PPV Heavyweight Boxing or something, where every match is so much more important that the last one, and you have to see it at the pub while watching the other game at the same time. what is all that about? :slap:

JPaul
04-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Sometimes none of the answers get it just right. If so, pick "No Best Answer". Voters DO NOT get any points for voting on the No Best Answer.

Villalltheway
04-11-2009, 01:55 PM
And let's not forget, this is without the football income bubble bursting! http://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/2009/04/red-for-danger-in-english-foot.php

Fuck.

Man Utd will be fine, probably the biggest club in SPORTS, even though they have massive loans and debit, the rise in debit is getting smaller each year, and once they replace AIG with another massive sponsor and selling ronaldo for £75mil plus things should be fine.

p.s. the biggest problem of English Football is the monopoly of the top 4.

benchez' mum
04-11-2009, 02:57 PM
4 companies do not a monopoly make.

JPaul
04-11-2009, 03:13 PM
4 companies do not a monopoly make.

:lol::earl:

It's funny because she's right.

Villalltheway
04-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Monopoly is if u have exclusive control of something, and Man Utd Chelsea Liverpool and Arsenal have an exclusive control of the top 4 places of the premier league, so effectively they have a monopoly of the top 4 places of the premeir league.

Mr JP Fugley
04-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Monopoly is if u have exclusive control of something, and Man Utd Chelsea Liverpool and Arsenal have an exclusive control of the top 4 places of the premier league, so effectively they have a monopoly of the top 4 places of the premeir league.

funny because she is wrong.

That's just shite. That is not what a monopoly is.

The only way that would even begin to make sense were if the 4 clubs you mentioned were some sort of consortium, which they aren't.

Oh and suggesting that Manchester United can wipe away their debt by it not getting worse year on year and selling Ronaldo is just naive tripe.

Villalltheway
04-11-2009, 04:43 PM
The only way that would even begin to make sense were if the 4 clubs you mentioned were some sort of consortium, which they aren't.

Oh and suggesting that Manchester United can wipe away their debt by it not getting worse year on year and selling Ronaldo is just naive tripe.

U lot here take everythings so literally, all i am trying to say is that the premier league is a bit boring because the same top 4 teams seem to be up there every year, u need to take a chill pill. So do u like have a heart attack everytime they talk about the top 4 having a monopoly of the champions league places on TV?

And to be honest i couldnt give a fuck if Man utd are in trouble in fact id love if they go bankrupt. Then what will all u glory supporter do go support Man City? And i never said they would wipe their debt all i was saying £75+mil would help them nicely and that i feel they will be fine.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/MONOPOLY

just for u to see what monopoly is.

Look at number 3 it says exclusive control can mean Monopoly, and if u look at the tables for the last 3 years or so u will find that Man Utd Arsenal Liverpool and Chelsea have had been in exclusive control of those top 4 places and can u really see any team outside those 4 teams coming in the top 4 this season? Now DEAL WITH IT.

Something Else
04-11-2009, 06:15 PM
A lot of emotion. :emo:

Mr JP Fugley
04-11-2009, 07:22 PM

U lot here take everythings so literally, all i am trying to say is that the premier league is a bit boring because the same top 4 teams seem to be up there every year, u need to take a chill pill. So do u like have a heart attack everytime they talk about the top 4 having a monopoly of the champions league places on TV?

And to be honest i couldnt give a fuck if Man utd are in trouble in fact id love if they go bankrupt. Then what will all u glory supporter do go support Man City? And i never said they would wipe their debt all i was saying £75+mil would help them nicely and that i feel they will be fine.

Look at number 3 it says exclusive control can mean Monopoly, and if u look at the tables for the last 3 years or so u will find that Man Utd Arsenal Liverpool and Chelsea have had been in exclusive control of those top 4 places and can u really see any team outside those 4 teams coming in the top 4 this season? Now DEAL WITH IT.

Are you actually as stupid as you are making out

"the exclusive possession or control of something". 4 different entities cannot have exclusive control. They can have joint control but that doesn't make a monopoly. It's not the same thing, trust me English is my first language.

"U lot here take everythings so literally, all i am trying to say is that the premier league is a bit boring because the same top 4 teams seem to be up there every year"

So why not say that in the first place, rather than talk shite and use words you clearly don't understand. I don't necessarily agree but at least it makes sense.

Oh and if you're next post doesn't contain the phrase "get a life, get laid, manker" I'll be tres disappointed to the max.

Snee
04-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Oh and if you're next post doesn't contain the phrase "get a life, get laid, manker" I'll be tres disappointed to the max.
Oh, t'apple?

Also: happy easter.

JPaul
04-11-2009, 07:33 PM

Oh, t'apple?

Happy Easter to you Mr Snee.

Mr JP Fugley
04-11-2009, 07:34 PM

Oh, t'apple?

GIRUY Japanese boy.

Skweeky
04-11-2009, 07:36 PM

"the exclusive possession or control of something". 4 different entities cannot have exclusive control. They can have joint control but that doesn't make a monopoly. It's not the same thing, trust me English is my first language.

"U lot here take everythings so literally, all i am trying to say is that the premier league is a bit boring because the same top 4 teams seem to be up there every year"

So why not say that in the first place, rather than talk shite and use words you clearly don't understand. I don't necessarily agree but at least it makes sense.

I believe the term you are both looking for is 'oligopoly'

Mr JP Fugley
04-11-2009, 07:39 PM

I believe the term you are both looking for is 'oligopoly'

I'm not looking for any term, just saying that 4 separate entities cannot constitute a monopoly.

I certainly wouldn't be looking for the word oligopoly as it would also be wholly inappropriate to the context.

Sextent
04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Quadopoly, unfortunately it isn't a word though.

Skweeky
04-11-2009, 07:52 PM
An oligopoly is a market form (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_form) in which a market (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market) or industry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry) is dominated by a small number of sellers (oligopolists)

IS :snooty:

JPaul
04-11-2009, 08:13 PM
"the market condition that exists when there are few sellers, as a result of which they can greatly influence price and other market factors."

"a market in which control over the supply of a commodity is in the hands of a small number of producers and each one can influence"

"A market dominated by so few sellers that action by any of them will impact both the price of the good and the competitors."

"An industry composed of a limited number of large firms."

"The situation where a small number of companies own or control the production of a particular good or provision of services within a market economy. ..."

It's not an oligopoly.

Skweeky
04-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Sure it is, a small number of football clubs, who dominate the Thingy League.

The rest of the football clubs can be taken as one producer, as their impact individually is nearly nil.

I knows this stuff, I once studied economics, in a previous life somewhere, the definition works, with some minor adjustments. :snooty:

I hope Kev doesn't notice all the smilies I am using tonight.

JPaul
04-11-2009, 08:27 PM
"... with some minor adjustments"

There are 20 clubs in the EPL. They may be dominated, in a footballing sense, by the top 4. However that does not make the top 4 an oligopoly. That's simply not how it works (the EPL). There the league body itself, which has control. There's the FA which also has control over football in England. There's UEFA and FIFA, also exerting controls. There's the contracts with SKY and Setanta which relates to all of the clubs, through the league and is a majority contributor to the teams incomes, all of them.

Skweeky
04-11-2009, 08:30 PM
If you're going to throw football terms at me, I'm not playing :snooty:

JPaul
04-11-2009, 08:31 PM
:lol::earl: fair do's.

Villalltheway
04-11-2009, 10:08 PM

To be honest u r going to be dissappointed because im not gonna tell u to get a life etc i just thought it was unneccicary for you to jump on what i said when u blatantly u knew what i was trying to say, it not exactly a term i have used soley if u ever watch football programs they always go on about the 'top 4 monopoly'. Just once example for you 5th paragraph

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7740865.stm

All i can say im sorry i dont have a grasp of the English language as u do, we must bow down to u. If u still wanna go on about it with me im sure i can find another 100 examples for u and maybe u can write to each individual person about how wrong they are. Im sure the BBC are looking forward to you letter of concern, maybe u can write in to points of view.

Mr JP Fugley
04-11-2009, 10:37 PM

To be honest u r going to be dissappointed because im not gonna tell u to get a life etc i just thought it was unneccicary for you to jump on what i said when u blatantly u knew what i was trying to say, it not exactly a term i have used soley if u ever watch football programs they always go on about the 'top 4 monopoly'. Just once example for you 5th paragraph

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7740865.stm

All i can say im sorry i dont have a grasp of the English language as u do, we must bow down to u. If u still wanna go on about it with me im sure i can find another 100 examples for u and maybe u can write to each individual person about how wrong they are. Im sure the BBC are looking forward to you letter of concern, maybe u can write in to points of view.

Oh right, you are an idiot, sorry I was actually just joking about that.

Can I suggest that you don't use football pundits as your source for the meaning or acceptable use of English. Whilst it might be an appealing idea it is ultimately and inevitably doomed to failure.

Can I also suggest that if you want to be a smart arse, which you clearly do, then you should do it in relation to something which you actually have a fucking clue about. Though I fully accept that may limit your options.

Villalltheway
04-11-2009, 10:54 PM

Can I suggest that you don't use football pundits as your source for the meaning or acceptable use of English. Whilst it might be an appealing idea it is ultimately and inevitably doomed to failure.

Can I also suggest that if you want to be a smart arse, which you clearly do, then you should do it in relation to something which you actually have a fucking clue about. Though I fully accept that may limit your options.

lol ur a funny guy trying to call me a smart arse, coming from a guy who jumps on me over one little point. But ill take note in future if i do want to be one ill try learning by reading ur posts. I may be a clueless guy but that just shows the kind of guy u r, having arguments over meaningless stuff with a clueless guy.

Proper Bo
04-11-2009, 10:56 PM
I like that arguement. You're an idiot for arguing with me, cause I'm an idiot.:lol:

Barbarossa
04-11-2009, 10:57 PM

lol ur a funny guy trying to call me a smart arse, coming from a guy who jumps on me over one little point. But ill take note in future if i do want to be one ill try learning by reading ur posts. I may be a clueless guy but that just shows the kind of guy u r, having arguments over meaningless stuff with a clueless guy.

That's just a long-winded way of saying "Get a life, get laid - wanker"... :dabs:

Barbarossa
04-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I like that arguement. You're an idiot for arguing with me, cause I'm an idiot.:lol:

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...

JPaul
04-11-2009, 10:59 PM

That's just a long-winded way of saying "Get a life, get laid - wanker"... :dabs:

As predicted.

He could also have gone with the option of saying "Fair enough, it's not a monopoly, I used the wrong word" however that was never going to happen, now was it.

Barbarossa
04-11-2009, 11:00 PM
What do you expect from a villa fan :pinch:

JPaul
04-11-2009, 11:02 PM
What do you expect from a villa fan :pinch:

Humility would have been nice.

Villalltheway
04-11-2009, 11:04 PM
As predicted.

He could also have gone with the option of saying "Fair enough, it's not a monopoly, I used the wrong word" however that was never going to happen, now was it.

Maybe i should of but i was just using common football language, so why cant people just accept that when u all knew what i was trying to say. We all know its because i dont have the special grey stars, dont we.

Another example for u
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5161745,00.html

There was me thinking this is a thread about English Football, and common football terms could be used.

Proper Bo
04-11-2009, 11:05 PM
I don't think it had anything to do with your post count, I think it was more due to you talking pish.

Barbarossa
I'll have you know I designed those stars and they're sodding well silver, not grey :emo:

Proper Bo
They are grey, like.

Barbarossa
04-11-2009, 11:06 PM
There's a clear hint of a reflective surface. :snooty:

If you get close enough you can see your face in them.

Villalltheway
04-11-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't think it had anything to do with your post count, I think it was more due to you talking pish.

If u say so.

One more post to your silver/grey whatever stars.

JPaul
04-11-2009, 11:20 PM

If u say so.

:lol: get a life, get laid manker.

Villalltheway
04-11-2009, 11:58 PM
If u say so.

:lol: coming from a guy with 17,442 posts.

And people say we need a btlounge, which i instantly scoffed at. Why need one and miss out in the fun with the proper lounge crew.

callum
04-12-2009, 12:08 AM

:lol: coming from a guy with 17,442 posts.

It's not really that much, he's been here over 4 years.

Snee
04-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Only nubs care about post counts.

JPaul
04-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Come on chaps, be fair. The bloke has hit every other cliche in the "get a life get laid, manker" arsenal. How could you think that post count wouldn't be a givern.

My money's on one last strop as he walks out of the door, never to return. Then logging in but not posting. Any takers.

Villalltheway
04-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Come on chaps, be fair. The bloke has hit every other cliche in the "get a life get laid, manker" arsenal. How could you think that post count wouldn't be a givern.

My money's on one last strop as he walks out of the door, never to return. Then logging in but not posting. Any takers.

U seem to be seeing things mate, where have i once said get a life get laid etc, u may need to see a doctor about this.

And how wrong could u get me, what makes u think id ever want to leave this fun. In fact since u said that i think ill have to stick around a little longer.

Something Else
04-12-2009, 01:58 PM

A Gooner you say. How disappointing. I better pop him on the old bunt list. Sorted. :happy:

Snee
04-12-2009, 01:59 PM

U seem to be seeing things mate, where have i once said get a life get laid etc, u may need to see a doctor about this.

And how wrong could u get me, what makes u think id ever want to leave this fun. In fact since u said that i think ill have to stick around a little longer.
So you're a troll, is what you're saying.

Villalltheway
04-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Indeed

Villalltheway
04-12-2009, 02:04 PM
A Gooner you say. How disappointing. I better pop him on the old bunt list. Sorted. :happy:

What a shame and there was u lot thinking u scared me off.

JPaul
04-12-2009, 03:05 PM
:lol:

Fish in a barrel.

Skweeky
04-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Did you lot scare someone else off? First manker, now him :no:

JPaul
04-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Nah, he's hanging about for my amusement. He's not the sort bloke to just fuck off at the drop of a hat.

Rat Faced
04-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Sure it is, a small number of football clubs, who dominate the Thingy League.

The rest of the football clubs can be taken as one producer, as their impact individually is nearly nil.

I knows this stuff, I once studied economics, in a previous life somewhere, the definition works, with some minor adjustments. :snooty:

I hope Kev doesn't notice all the smilies I am using tonight.

Studied? I slight exageration...

Attended a few of the lectures maybe, when you hadn't been partying the night before..

I has Pics :snooty:

Skweeky
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
This wasn't at university. What I did in highchool was called Economics - Modern Languages. I had economics for 5 hours a week for 5 years. The course of Economics I got at university was a piece of pish. I never studied for it and still managed to get an 18/20.

Rat Faced
04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
I never studied for it and still managed to get on an 18/30 holiday.

/Fixed

Skweeky
04-14-2009, 08:29 AM
:lol:

I've never been on one of those. Fact.

bergstein
04-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Me neither