PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Defragmenter Problem

abu_has_the_power
09-22-2003, 02:42 AM
i get the same with diskeeper 8 and perfect disk. the 1st time i run the defrag after install, it works. the 2nd time i open the thing, it says the drives aren't recognized or active or something like that. it's similar for both defragers. wtf is goin on? now ever time i want to defrag, i have to reinstall the program.

clocker
09-22-2003, 02:59 AM
Abu, I feel your pain.

PerfectDisk used to do that to me all the time.
I would get the message that "PerfectDisk cannot find the computer".
Stunned, I would yell at it-" Look around you, you MORON! You're IN the bloody computer!".

This failed to work for some reason.
At the top of the program, from one of the tabs ( sorry, I forget which cause I now use Diskeeper), you'll get a drop down menu which has the option to "Find computer".
Click that little bastard.

zapjb
09-22-2003, 03:09 AM
Excellent answer clocker. :lol: To the point & made me laugh.

sparsely
09-22-2003, 03:12 AM
chkdsk /f ?

abu_has_the_power
09-22-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by clocker@22 September 2003 - 02:59
Abu, I feel your pain.

PerfectDisk used to do that to me all the time.
I would get the message that "PerfectDisk cannot find the computer".
Stunned, I would yell at it-" Look around you, you MORON! You're IN the bloody computer!".

This failed to work for some reason.
At the top of the program, from one of the tabs ( sorry, I forget which cause I now use Diskeeper), you'll get a drop down menu which has the option to "Find computer".
Click that little bastard.
thanks a lot m8, but now, diskeeper is doing the same thing. a little help??

yea, perfect disk started, now diskeeper won't even start

abu_has_the_power
09-22-2003, 03:37 AM
oh, and btw, which defrager do u guys prefer?

sparsely
09-22-2003, 03:38 AM
I still use the one that's part of the now old-as-hell Ontrack SystemSuite 4.
I think it's made by someone else now, with a new name. But it works for NTFS, does a good job, and has
a buttload of other tools with it. So I'm not changing, meh

abu_has_the_power
09-22-2003, 04:30 AM
any other suggestions?

clocker
09-22-2003, 04:41 AM
I now use Diskeeper 8.0

When I had both programs installed, I could run Perfect Disk and it would leave a few fragments. Diskeeper would catch them.

Perfect Disk is nice cause it has the "smart placement" feature for boot files, but I just run BootVis every once and a while instead.

Since I have several partitions I only have to defrag my C: drive on a regular basis and Diskeeper will polish it off in about 20 seconds.