PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Will The Pirate Bay Crew Be Found Innocent or Guilty?

SonsOfLiberty
04-13-2009, 04:48 PM
In a few days the verdict in the Pirate Bay trial will be announced, a decision that could have far reaching consequences for fellow BitTorrent trackers and file-sharing in general. Through this poll we’d like to hear what the public believe the verdict will be. Generally in favor of The Pirate Bay Four - or against?

bilkenter
04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Hopefully in favour of Pirate Bay, i think there is a quite a chance that they
will be found innocent, a little more time left till verdict(17th of this month i guess)

For those who are interested in trial and more check this
http://trial.thepiratebay.org/

it is weird that it is banned here

Bone.W.Machine
04-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Innocent.

technodrome
04-13-2009, 06:05 PM
i hope they found innocent :)

Patriot foreve
04-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Innocent

Swift
04-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Innocent

very !

danio
04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
I think it's very hard to tell. I listened through most of the trial and my gut feeling tells me there's a fair chance that they are found guilty. Either way, i very much doubt it will end with this verdict. The losing party will probably appeal for the higher instance.

mrnobody
04-13-2009, 08:38 PM
well, the entire bt community wishes TPB crew would be 'found' innocent. Afterall TPB is like what backbone is to body.

but then most won't be surprised if they are charged guilty :fear:

Villalltheway
04-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Hope they are innocent but just I reackon they will find away to make them guilty.

pffm
04-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Innocent ofc.

sez
04-13-2009, 09:35 PM
piracy just makes a copy from tiny bit pieces of the original from various people(so no one ever really gives out a complete copy of what they have to others)and the original never changes.
Theft on the other hand completely replaces the original with nothing i.e now you see it now you dont!

the verdict:
innocent!stop wasting the court's time,

cinephilia
04-14-2009, 01:20 AM
innocent i guess.

Funkin'
04-14-2009, 01:37 AM
I haven't really been following it, so I have no idea what the verdict is looking to be. But I definitely hope they're not found guilty.

The_Martinator
04-14-2009, 05:13 AM
^what he said.

mikeHD
04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
They will be found guilty unless the judge decides to set a liberal precedent. This blog breaks it down very well and makes it easy to understand without prior knowledge. http://www.futureofcopyright.com/index.php?page=news&id=313

I won't bother debating this on a forum full of fellow pirates, but most of the arguments tossed about by pirates are specious, shallow and unpersuasive. Unless a series of judges wish to give a very liberal reading to the current copyright laws (which are, pursuant to international treaties, intentionally nearly identical in all modern industrialized western nations) or the legislature wishes to completely alter the copyright laws, using torrents, usenet, any p2p service, to download copyrighted material is clearly an infringement of copyright as things stand.

Tomtetrollet
04-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I think they'll find them innocent for now but the prosecutors won't give up the case if they lose this trial.

mrnobody
04-17-2009, 01:07 PM
although it's not totally over yet...

most of you were wrong ;p

Swift
04-17-2009, 01:10 PM
yeah but the site still working so we won !

mikeHD
04-17-2009, 01:23 PM
yeah but the site still working so we won !

That is not a win. If any tracker had a chance at creating a pocket of legality, it was TPB. This is clearly a foreboding sign for private trackers. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some takedowns now that there is a legal precedent so symbolic.

A win would be effecting significant changes in the policies of the EU, US and CAN.

TP635
04-17-2009, 02:25 PM
The verdict is out:not a good news

sez
04-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Am hearing of a $3.6 million penalty but not jail time,not sure though but still thats a hell lot of money,am used to hearing $500 lol,.i think the judge here just set the precedence for even more take downs..

danio
04-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Am hearing of a $3.6 million penalty but not jail time,not sure though but still thats a hell lot of money,am used to hearing $500 lol,.i think the judge here just set the precedence for even more take downs..

Also 1 year in jail:
http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-trial-the-verdict-090417/

TheFoX
04-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Oops...

I hope the appeal causes contradiction. Shame that the law can be interpreted any which way that they want.

saulin
04-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Why would they be found inoscent? Didn't the guy that ran Oink get busted as well?

The way I see it. A tracker may not be hosting the files but it's allowing the trading of copyrighted material. Same as any warez board. For any tracker admin to be found inoscent, he or they must make sure that all the files being shared are freeware files or that the author has authorized the sharing/trading of such material. And is something that must be enforced on the tracker.

Villalltheway
04-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Hope they are innocent but just I reackon they will find away to make them guilty.

Told u so i knew there was no way they were going to win this case.

LubTheStaringCat
04-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Why would they be found inoscent? Didn't the guy that ran Oink get busted as well?

The way I see it. A tracker may not be hosting the files but it's allowing the trading of copyrighted material. Same as any warez board. For any tracker admin to be found inoscent, he or they must make sure that all the files being shared are freeware files or that the author has authorized the sharing/trading of such material. And is something that must be enforced on the tracker.

The case against Oink, Is still being considered.
and the juries out where It will ever come to anything.
lets remember It was something like a year and a haft ago, and nothing has happened sofar.

Oops...

I hope the appeal causes contradiction. Shame that the law can be interpreted any which way that they want.

Of course they will appeal, and It'll get quashed.
And stick there proverbial 2 fingers up at the judges,:geptardrod: while showing there contemned for them by dropping there trousers:geptardrod:

sez
04-17-2009, 11:28 PM
if they did not make any money out of it the penalty and sentence would have been lighter am hearing..and its obvious the MPAA bribed those judges..but i think they will be acquited when they appeal..

technodrome
04-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Unfortunately they found guilty :(

Stellar
04-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Wow the punishment sure doesn't meet the crime in this one. One year in jail and $3.6 million for something that doesn't directly harm people? Total bullshit.

Alpha2
04-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Calm down, they won't go to jail so easy.

Villalltheway
04-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Wow the punishment sure doesn't meet the crime in this one. One year in jail and $3.6 million for something that doesn't directly harm people? Total bullshit.

Why not, they have been making profit from illegal distribution. One year is not that bad they probably wont even serve the hole 1 year anyway, and $3.6m i think they should be able to pay that, they been round for a long time and im pretty sure they have accrued alot of money.

Stellar
04-18-2009, 02:22 PM
The problem is just as I said: the punishment does not meet the crime. A fine that actually reflects real damages? Sure, that's more reasonable.
One year in jail for assisting people in running a bittorrent tracker? Totally unreasonable.
People commit murder and get less jail time.

danio
04-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Why not, they have been making profit from illegal distribution. One year is not that bad they probably wont even serve the hole 1 year anyway, and $3.6m i think they should be able to pay that, they been round for a long time and im pretty sure they have accrued alot of money.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the charges was for assisting copyright infrigement of 15 (or so) specific works. Hence the one year in jail and $3.6 million regards those works and nothing else. If you think tpb have profited $3.6 millions from those ad incomes you're out of your mind :P. The bill will probably be sent to Carl Lundström alone, the former CEO of the company that hosted TPB in the early days and was one of the convicted.

Villalltheway
04-18-2009, 02:43 PM
One thing you have to keep in mind is that the charges was for assisting copyright infrigement of 15 (or so) specific works. Hence the one year in jail and $3.6 million regards those works and nothing else. If you think tpb have profited $3.6 millions from those ad incomes you're out of your mind :P. The bill will probably be sent to Carl Lundström alone, the former CEO of the company that hosted TPB in the early days and was one of the convicted.

Im not gonna lie i dont no the ins and outs of the case and balance sheets of tpb, but there always roumers of these little private torrent site staff driving around in lexus etc and making a nice bit of money, so what makes u think the biggest torrent sites in the hole world wont be able to make some money. They must get millions of hits a day and im sure for that reason add space on their site wont be too cheap.

Also i doubt the court would order them to pay a fine that they would not be able to afford. But if so they will just have declare bankruptcy and dont pay nothing.

TheFoX
04-19-2009, 12:36 AM
I blame the artists. If they didn't sing the bloody songs in the first place, there would be nothing to pirate. Throw them in jail instead. Would save our ears from first class crap at the same time.