PDA

View Full Version : Help With Msn Messenger

Russo
09-22-2003, 08:16 AM
Its not running in my system tray. its not checked in msconfig. i have checked in the MSN options to NOT load at start up OR to run in the back ground. so there is NO evidence that it is actually running.

But this damn possessed programs shows me on line and i get pop up messages from people from MSN messenger while im playing games.

And its NOT supposed to be running. i dont think i can uninstall it because its part of other programs like Outlook. what can i do about this?

3rd gen noob
09-22-2003, 08:18 AM
it's not showing in task manager either then?
msmgs.exe or msnmgr.exe?

asmithz
09-22-2003, 08:20 AM
msmgs.exe

I had that problem, i got rid of and dont know how.

wormless
09-22-2003, 08:25 AM
i had four in task manager at one point cus mine wudnt load up so i ended process on all of them then it loaded up fine from start menu

3rd gen noob
09-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Shad0w Hacker@22 September 2003 - 08:20
msmgs.exe

I had that problem, i got rid of and dont know how.
msmgs.exe is all versions up to 6.0 i believe
6.0 is msnmgr.exe

usually after i run outlook express, msn 4.7 starts up...:(
this causes a conflict and i get signed out of msn6.0, but apparently it's an easy fix

asmithz
09-22-2003, 08:37 AM
msmgs.exe runs in the background of xp automatically very fu*king anoying

fr600
09-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Why dont u just select end task for msnmsg.exe or sth from the tsk manager

MUSLEMAN
09-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Russo@22 September 2003 - 04:16
Its not running in my system tray. its not checked in msconfig. i have checked in the MSN options to NOT load at start up OR to run in the back ground. so there is NO evidence that it is actually running.

But this damn possessed programs shows me on line and i get pop up messages from people from MSN messenger while im playing games.

And its NOT supposed to be running. i dont think i can uninstall it because its part of other programs like Outlook. what can i do about this?
download tweak manager and disable it :lol:

L0rD_S0tH
09-22-2003, 02:36 PM
running xp?
if so go to : WINDOWS\INF\SYSOC.INF.
open it, find the line that stars with "msmsgs=" edit the word "hide" out leave the commas then save the file. now you can go to Add/Remove components click on windows components, scroll down and you should see msn/WINDOWS messenger and be able to remove it.

This worked for me. I no longer have msn messenger running in my task manager, at least.

trugmolly
09-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Its blinking blonking annoying I know I had that... did get red of it easily.. tiny little prog.. Kill or shoot the messenger.. something like that it was called...But I would appreciate to know other stuff in xp that can be turned off.. I already killed all the fancy graphics and use classic interface to save memory.
Trug

Kunal
09-22-2003, 03:33 PM
uve got windows messenger running, it gay to put it kindly! ders a utiliy on this site (http://www.dougknox.com/), that disable's it, get msn messenger 6 its bout 1000000000000 times better!

Hellie
09-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Got to agree with kunal, the prog it doesn´t only disable it, it gets rid of windows messenger totaly

iMartin
09-22-2003, 10:47 PM
How to uninstall MSN Messenger from XP, from mess.be

1) Run XP Antispy (download it HERE (http://xp-antispy.de/XPAntiSpy3-English.zip))
2) Go to your MSN Messenger directory (probably "c:\program files\messenger").
3) Choose the option "Uninstall completely" and press Ready followed by OK.

A second method, without the involvement of any third party software:

1) Go to Start > Run
2) Type this exact commando (you might wanna copy paste):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove.

3) Oh my God, you killed Windows Messenger!

Last but not least you can apply this PATCH (http://213.40.196.62/media/778.zip), found at The Register and made by an anonymous msn hater :)

After you uninstall it, try to install it agian, only get MSN Messenger 6.1 HERE (http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/9/1/89120E35-6981-4605-8FE6-5CDCFEA44C6E/msnmsgs.msi)

Russo
09-23-2003, 12:53 AM
I guess i should have researched it first.

"Tip: When you sign in to Messenger, it remembers every email address/.net passport that you signed in under. To remove
an item from the list of remembered names: Start/Run/control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manager Passwords.

Tip: Easiest method to disable Messenger: C:\Program Files\Messenger and either rename the Messenger folder to
something like "MessengerOLD" or just move it.

Remove Messenger from XP

Start/Run/RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Disable Messenger

Start/Run/gpedit.msc/Admistrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Messenger. Alter your settings in the right pane. (For Pro)

Stop Windows Messenger from Auto-Starting

Simply delete the following Registry Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSMSGS

Uninstall Messenger

You have to edit sysoc.inf (located in /WINDOWS/inf). Under [Components] you should see the following line:
msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7. Take the word 'hide' out of the line, and it should look like this:
msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7. Exit and save.

Go to Add or Remove Programs, and click on Add/Remove Windows Components. There you should now be able to uncheck the MSN Messenger Service, and by clicking Next it will uninstall.

Remove MSN Messenger from Outlook Express and Prevent the Delay

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Value Name: Hide Messenger, Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value), Value Data: (2 = remove messenger). Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'Hide Messenger' and set the value to 2.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect."

sparsely
09-23-2003, 01:02 AM
Now you're the local MSN Messenger guru.
You're obligated to help everyone with questions.
Congratulations on the research. :P

iMartin
09-23-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@22 September 2003 - 19:02
Who? Me? or Russo? ;)

MediaSlayer
09-23-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Russo@23 September 2003 - 00:53
I guess i should have researched it first.

"Tip: When you sign in to Messenger, it remembers every email address/.net passport that you signed in under. To remove
an item from the list of remembered names: Start/Run/control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manager Passwords.

Tip: Easiest method to disable Messenger: C:\Program Files\Messenger and either rename the Messenger folder to
something like "MessengerOLD" or just move it.

Remove Messenger from XP

Start/Run/RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Disable Messenger

Start/Run/gpedit.msc/Admistrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Messenger. Alter your settings in the right pane. (For Pro)

Stop Windows Messenger from Auto-Starting

Simply delete the following Registry Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSMSGS

Uninstall Messenger

You have to edit sysoc.inf (located in /WINDOWS/inf). Under [Components] you should see the following line:
msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7. Take the word 'hide' out of the line, and it should look like this:
msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7. Exit and save.

Go to Add or Remove Programs, and click on Add/Remove Windows Components. There you should now be able to uncheck the MSN Messenger Service, and by clicking Next it will uninstall.

Remove MSN Messenger from Outlook Express and Prevent the Delay

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Value Name: Hide Messenger, Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value), Value Data: (2 = remove messenger). Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'Hide Messenger' and set the value to 2.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect."
ok can u dumb this one down for me please?? basically i'm gonna install gaim, which supports aim,msn messenger,ect... I don't want to delete messenger, I just want to upgrade to msnmessenger ver6.0 and clean it up if it does stupid things. I followed the [/QUOTE]Start/Run/control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manager Passwords.
[QUOTE]link and it isn't remembering any e-mail addys or .net passport logins so that's good. Any advice would be appreciated.

sparsely
09-24-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by [-Crono-
Who? Me? or Russo? ;) [/b][/quote]
yes.

iMartin
09-24-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely+23 September 2003 - 19:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparsely @ 23 September 2003 - 19:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-[&#045;Crono&#045;
Now you&#39;re the local MSN Messenger guru.
You&#39;re obligated to help everyone with questions.
Congratulations on the research.� :P
Who? Me? or Russo? ;) [/b][/quote]
yes. [/b][/quote]
:blink: :unsure:

shn
09-24-2003, 07:33 AM
http://www.dougknox.com/

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/MessengerDisable.zip