PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Ends “Mainstream” XP Support

SonsOfLiberty
04-15-2009, 01:49 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=25&pictureid=204
Will now only provide “extended” support until April 8, 2014.

Much to many PC users sadness, Microsoft has announced it has ended “mainstream support” for Windows XP, meaning that there will be no more free per-incident support.

Win XP, first released in October of 2001, now enters the “extended support” lifecycle stage. The total Microsoft lifecycle support cycle lasts 15 years, with mainstream support, extended support and custom support each lasting five years apiece.

XP users will still be able to get security patches automatically through Windows Update. In addition, it doesn’t cost to call Microsoft if you have a problem installing Windows XP. However, calling Microsoft about other support incidents will cost the user money.

The news is sure to rattle some, especially IT professionals of whom 97% said in a recent poll that their companies or organizations are still running XP. Surely much to Microsoft’s chagrin, 83% of them also said they’d skip Vista and wait for a stable Windows 7 to be released.

Either way, today marks the beginning of a slow death for XP.

:source: Source: http://www.zeropaid.com/news/85973/microsoft-ends-mainstream-xp-support/

Cabalo
04-15-2009, 02:36 AM
it was to be expected.
XP is too old and lacking native features compared to newest windows builds.

$SnoopDo2G$
04-15-2009, 03:14 AM
he he i've never called them... :lol:
XP is still the best for me fuck the beta's...

saulin
04-15-2009, 03:55 AM
XP is still the best! very stable and has great software support. Of course gamers will want Vista or Windows 7 because of DirectX.

I still don't like vista. I just installed it recently. I installed the x64 version so I could use all my RAM and had a few problems with some software. x32 has less problems but won't read all my memory. So I went to XP x64 and so far things are very good. I'm glad XP is still alive and will have support for a few years still.

ulun64
04-15-2009, 06:04 AM
XP still good. It's support all softwares. So far there was no need to use vista at all. There's no software that's work on vista and won't work on XP so far:)

sake
04-15-2009, 06:20 AM
Xp is still the best for me too. I didn`t like Vista. Now i am waiting Windows 7 :)

I think that Windows 7 will replace XP but we will see.

Fulanito
04-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Windows 7 will be the replacement of Xp, they failed with Vista soo..but i will miss the old days with WinXP..so when times comes to say goodbye damn i just hope Win7 is worth it.

bladesharp
04-15-2009, 09:45 AM
still the best and windows 7 will take time to replace Xp .Xp was so matured.

digmen1
04-18-2009, 12:55 AM
The news is sure to rattle some, especially IT professionals of whom 97% said in a recent poll that their companies or organizations are still running XP. Surely much to Microsoft’s chagrin, 83% of them also said they’d skip Vista and wait for a stable Windows 7 to be released.

But I wonder if Windows 7 has enough features to make them switch. To me it just seems a cosmetic upgrade of Vista.

Microsoft are going to have to learn how to create a need for each new OS and to create some hype around it like they did with 95 and XP. Mick Jagger anyone ?

MeepMeep
04-25-2010, 11:41 PM
this is sad. XP is still perfect for most people. Why not continue to support old hardware

fileshatra
05-02-2010, 12:13 AM
I'll continue to use XP, 7 can wait for me.

homoloordi
05-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Xp was really good and stable but it's time to switch to Windows 7 :)

8dc
05-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Old news but M$ still doing security patches for XP. Honestly, XP is much better than 95,98,Me and i love it.

graywolf
05-07-2010, 01:29 AM
I went from WinXP to Win 7 to Vista.. and this sucks!

XP is still leading.. 7 will replace it someday.. when it gets its compatibility factor right.. Lesser bugs and you get a OS with efficiency and looks..

But my 9 years of life with XP was awesome.. :) :mushy:

crespo9
05-14-2010, 09:03 AM
win7 is good enough ,it have some new features that may give us new exprience.