PDA

View Full Version : PassThePopcorn database lost; massive fail

oddball09
04-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Hello, PTP has experience massive sql data loss at this time. We are working to restore a backup of the database. This database is from 3-27-09. We will be opening up registrations to allow anyone who recently joined after that time to re-register. Thanks! Sorry about all of this. Pham

Ok, I left PTP because their site frustrated me, but WOW. I love how the post says "PTP experienced massive sql data loss" trying to play it off like it crashed on it's own. To have a loss like that it's 100% of the time the coders fault. Part of being of being a coder is being in charge of the db....that includes daily backups.... WTF @ the last backup being March 27th.....that's just damn sloppy.

This site has been fail since the start. All they've done is copied Gazelle and changed words to say 'movies' or 'directors'. If you're a member I suggest you jump from the fail boat. Who knows, next time their database could get hacked or soething...

get out while you can still get your shit deleted!

redMonster
04-15-2009, 08:14 AM
There is no excuse for not having a recent backup. I really hope people move to TC.

And btw, TC needs to get better stylesheets. Their default one is really dark.

oddball09
04-15-2009, 08:27 AM
I agree. TC is taking off right now after what.cd gave everyone invites. And for what.cd to do that really says a lot because what.cd created gazelle and thats [rettty much a approval stamp from them. It's really an amazing site.

Yeah they need to let us make stylesheets. Maybe they'll make a lighter one for spring :D

Swift
04-15-2009, 08:28 AM
I lol'ed

oddball09
04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
This page was created in 22.48418 second(s) on April 15th 2009, 08:46

Load: 7.46, 6.77, 6.62 on 8 cores.

The site is really messed up..

maddoxro
04-15-2009, 09:35 AM
So what ? It happens. Even so, PassThePopcorn rullz and it's a great tracker.

oddball09
04-15-2009, 10:28 AM

Um, no, it doesn't "happen". Only an incompetent coder would let that "happen". And to have a backup that outdated is ridiculous.

And to call it a "great tracker" is laughable. It's alright, but it's going nowhere fast. They've done nothing to set themselves apart from any other Gazelle based tracker.

Go join TC if you want to see a tracker done right.

bilkenter
04-15-2009, 10:48 AM

Um, no, it doesn't "happen". Only an incompetent coder would let that "happen". And to have a backup that outdated is ridiculous.

And to call it a "great tracker" is laughable. It's alright, but it's going nowhere fast. They've done nothing to set themselves apart from any other Gazelle based tracker.

You are getting a free service right? I can understand that you criticize them, yet it seems kinda harsh. Things happen and i am quite sure running a tracker isnt their only job, a relative might be dead or any other problems among them. Not a member of that site btw. I am sure they are gonna fix it, if you dont like it, why bother being with them? you dont have to try and impose an opinion on others though.

Qlix
04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Blah. -.-

IdolEyes787
04-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Oddball09 considering that you have made exactly 6 posts here , all slagging PTP/praising Tehconnection I would consider your "opinion" suspect at best.

sez
04-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Its nothing coz they are going to open signups for those who weren't registered before 03/27 and probably award them a couple of free gigs...and i really doubt whether they care about their reputation being damaged coz they probably dont have any other than the biff with TC...so no biggie really!

maddoxro
04-15-2009, 01:00 PM

It took TehConnection , like what , six months or more??? to move to gazelle ? :lol:

Compare this :
TehConnection has ~16000 users > ~17000 peers
PassThePopcorn has ~13000 users > ~36000 peers
Also,the number of torrents are "allmost " similar , PtP having with ~1000 torrents more that TC.

All from the above is said from the perspective of a user.

TC is just the tracker overhyped with lots of connections from its staff , bla bla bla , while PassThePopcorn is just a usual tracker who tries to make a good place for its members.

So, from my point of view, PtP is ahead of TC and you are just a fan boy wannabe for TC who got disabled or something similar at PtP.

// Have a nice life.

KFlint
04-15-2009, 02:59 PM
It's not the first time something like this happen to a tracker, at least they had a two weeks old backup to fall back.

No big deal in comparison to Waffles recently stolen database!

apextwin146
04-15-2009, 03:01 PM
TC i remember the speeds sucked so bad that i cudnt max out even a lowly 1mbps connection ..
Do the backups determine the quality of the content offered by the site ? As long as they keep quality stuff and their ratio systems work fine the users shudnt be complaining ..
How come i didnt see u post in the waffles DB hacked thread if u were so concerned abt sites maintaining their DB ..
Your just another low life tracker basher at best :dabs:

killercam101
04-15-2009, 03:04 PM
TC i remember the speeds sucked so bad that i cudnt max out even a lowly 1mbps connection ..
Do the backups determine the quality of the content offered by the site ? As long as they keep quality stuff and their ratio systems work fine the users shudnt be complaining ..
How come i didnt see u post in the waffles DB hacked thread if u were so concerned abt sites maintaining their DB ..
Your just another low life tracker basher at best :dabs:

and you're a SHOW STOPPER! :naughty::naughty::naughty:
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/1489/fashionxb2.jpg

maddoxro
04-15-2009, 03:29 PM
It's not the first time something like this happen to a tracker, at least they had a two weeks old backup to fall back.

No big deal in comparison to What recently stolen database!

wasn't it waffles who got hacked ?

The Flying Cow
04-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Qlix. You around here? :)

pro267
04-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Are you suggesting that oddball09 is in fact Qlix?

brightsid
04-15-2009, 03:50 PM
And FL for all. I've already forgotten the accident :P

sexten
04-15-2009, 03:58 PM

If you by What mean What.CD, our database has not been stolen.

RedRansom
04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
I think he mean waffles :P...
Unfortunately passthepopcorn have really bad days: firstly domain name change after that this database fact and unfortunately the tracker still have problems with bonus credit system, I hope they will fix problems soon cuz ppl really need a dedicated movie tracker...

KFlint
04-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Oh crap, I obviously meant Waffles, I don't want to spread rumors :pinch:

The_Martinator
04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Thing like this happen, but shouldn't imo.

Let's all hope that next time it happens, they'll have a more recent DB back up to go back to.

Unstable1
04-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Oddball09 considering that you have made exactly 6 posts here , all slagging PTP/praising Tehconnection I would consider your "opinion" suspect at best.

My thoughts exactly. He's either a TC staffer or a fanboy.

I like TC, but I also like PTP, so no, I wont be leaving PTP any time soon as it's a great tracker.

kaustav
04-15-2009, 05:06 PM
There both great movie trackers, cant you people just get along?
Besides its a free service, the people running it aren't getting paid, unless you count donations towards server fees, and sometimes bad stuff happens.

Three weeks of data isn't that bad, it could have been worse. Maybe it doesn't look all that good for the staff, but at least its not 3 months of data. And this'll give tC a chance to catch up, or beat PTP in terms of stats.

cinephilia
04-15-2009, 05:10 PM
i'm not member there but i know they are currently building the "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" collection.
how far has it got ?

kareemamir
04-15-2009, 05:11 PM
As far as it can go. It's complete.

cinephilia
04-15-2009, 05:13 PM
It's complete.
already? :O

mrnobody
04-15-2009, 05:56 PM

it was waffelz

The_Martinator
04-15-2009, 06:00 PM
It's complete.

It has been for a while now.

Demons
04-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Just got my account there :thumbsup:

Wi0
04-15-2009, 06:27 PM

I like TC, but I also like PTP, so no, I wont be leaving PTP any time soon as it's a great tracker.

NOT one of my staffers.

TehConnection wishes PTP the best of luck and a speed recovery. Data losses are never a fun thing to have happen :(.

magushun
04-15-2009, 06:57 PM
well, their collections are great, I like that site

cinephilia
04-15-2009, 07:07 PM

nice.
btw, does the collection include home rips or most of them are scene releases ?

NippleCake
04-15-2009, 07:11 PM
nice.
btw, does the collection include home rips or most of them are scene releases ?

home rips as well.

cinephilia
04-15-2009, 07:12 PM
ok, thanks Nipple.

The Flying Cow
04-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Whatever it is, it's giving them publicity.

That much is clear.

NippleCake
04-15-2009, 07:31 PM
ok, thanks Nipple.

The Name is NippleCake :shifty:

Overlord
04-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Any movie tracker that prefers scene over the P2P groups for HD content will never rise above mediocrity.

TehMeph
04-15-2009, 07:44 PM

NOT one of my staffers.

TehConnection wishes PTP the best of luck and a speed recovery. Data losses are never a fun thing to have happen :(.

This is definitely the case. If we found oddball was one of our staff members, needlessly to say, he wouldn't be a staff member for very much longer.

We appreciate the fanboyism that seems to be attached to our members and love that our members are so enthralled with our work; however, the constant PtP vs. TC drama that I see everywhere I hear about movie trackers is tiring at best and enraging at worst. We wish nothing but the best for PtP and as far as we're concerened, there's no real rivalry or anything but some friendly competition.

Regarding their data loss, as an experienced administrator for more than just p2p sites, I can say that data loss happens to the best of us. It's a shame that their backups are almost 3 weeks old, but an oversight like that isn't uncommon and there's really nothing they can do if they lost the data files that MySQL uses. We wish them the best in their recovery. We can only learn from their mistake and make sure that our backups are never older than an hour :)

Good luck to them with their issues and good luck to all their members who have to rebuild their data after it was lost. Speaking from experience, it sucks to lose 3 weeks of work, but it definitely could be worse; they could have not had a backup at all.

In short, best wishes to everyone involved and please keep the PtP vs. TC drama away.

RedRansom
04-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Really fun at there my account gone and Last Seen: 2 month :ermm:

primevil
04-16-2009, 02:37 AM
Why doesn't anybody ever mention Goem.

Unstable1
04-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Goem's not a bad tracker, but TC and PtP are better.

IdolEyes787
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Goem's not a bad tracker, but TC and PtP are better.

I guess that would depend on how you define "better".

If you mean less content and more grief then yes TC and PTP are certainly better.

If you are fan of movies then in my opinion a combination of Goem,KG,Cinemaggedon and a Oday like RevTT or IPT (plus of course Demonoid and maybe Classic Cinema Zone) are as good as it is going to get.

Never had a worry with any of those trackers(Demonoid excluded of course).Never had anything I couldn't find there(and I am a pretty off the beaten path kind of guy)Never had to question the staff's intent.Never had to worry about getting tossed either.

DarkLured
04-16-2009, 11:11 PM
I personally prefer PtP over TC. I like PtP's design/interface better (even if it is just Gazelle with a couple minor mods) and PtP gives full access to the "top 10" features to all members (whereas you have to earn that feature on TC). They're about even in my experience in terms of selection and speeds. Both great trackers with lots of potential.

I agree. TC is taking off right now after what.cd gave everyone invites. And for what.cd to do that really says a lot because what.cd created gazelle and thats prettty much a approval stamp from them.

This isn't really accurate. What.cd didn't give out TC invites - it just announced that TC had offered to give invites to all What members. I doubt What intended it as an endorsement, just a cool perk for their members.

Why doesn't anybody ever mention Goem.

I assume mainly because Goem's been around a long time (relative to TC and PtP) and hasn't changed anything in a while. Goem is a good movie tracker and certainly deserves some respect, but even though I'm a longtime member there and like the site, I now prefer both TC and PtP.

eric13
04-17-2009, 05:19 PM
pfft my stats are gone now i am a leecher lol ptp you s_ck seriously hope i won't get banned cause of it

bilkenter
04-17-2009, 05:25 PM
pfft my stats are gone now i am a leecher lol ptp you s_ck seriously hope i won't get banned cause of it

I will nvr understand this attitude. I am having trouble just reseeding all my torrents on vuze rather than utorrent that i used to use, i wonder how agonizing it must be to run a tracker owner et cetera. BTW I HATE downloading each torrent file from the site then checking it again( especially if there are a lot to reseed) Not to mention the torrents that are not on the site anymore or the ones i cant find on tracker