PDA

View Full Version : Bad Language

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Don't know about you guys but I personally ain't to keen on bad language in a post.

This like sh1t are ok and piss

But on several occasions I see F*** and C*** etc, I just don't like reading it, use feck........it's much less agressive :)

Now before you all start on me, I'm a builder and am very used to the worst language on the planet, also used to be a fisherman so..........ok

But this comes down to the way things are read.

You can type something hearing it in your head the way you would say it and someone reads it in a totally different way.

You get me?? :)

It's all to do with interpritation and how you read something .

EG. Someone (A good friend) said to me in a pm "I'll Bott Ya C**t in"......Ok I thought it was funny, but if someone else had said it or read it would they have found it funny.

Sorry I'm having real difficulty explaining this :blink: Only just up :blink:

So I just wondered what you all think of bad language in here?? :)

btw, don't flame me or just come back with F*** off to try to be funny cos it ain't, jokes to old and I ma get accused of starting a flame :(

Jesus, look at all them words..........gonna stop now and lay down :blink:

Jonno B)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
09-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@22 September 2003 - 05:31
I see F*** and C***
:D I see him also. :D

Ok...sorry had to say that. :P

But I have to agree on this because I use cuss words in threads also from time to time...and am sorry for that.But I think it can be taken care of if the forum is set to not alowe certain words.I thought we had it that way once before. :huh:

FC B)

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+22 September 2003 - 10:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 22 September 2003 - 10:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JONNO_CELEBS@22 September 2003 - 05:31
I see F*** and C***
:D I see him also. :D

Ok...sorry had to say that. :P

You talking about the Filter?......Nah I don&#39;t think it should be put on I think people should respect the place and just think before they blink.
Just think how someone else may read and interprate(<<No idea how to spell that) it, it can save a lot of ill feeling.
For example, I read a post this morning that basically was (as I read it) a go at me, but having thought about it I&#39;m wrong, altho if it had not contained the language I would have seen it in much lighter context.

Do you see where I&#39;m going with this?

(Yeah I know, straight into a big pile of poo)

Jonno B)

silent VI
09-22-2003, 11:07 AM
i agree when writing ur opinion there i sreally no use for foul language and racist comments etc i mean think about it what kind o fperson needs to swear in a forum <_< :huh: either an imature kid or a guy with a small umm unit :lol: :lol: :lol: i think that where not allowed to swear on forum ne ways cause my old signature had fu** and bit**s in it and it sayed remved cause bad language or somthing and i also got messeged and e mailed to change it a whole bunch lol :P so i did

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 11:14 AM
This is true if you read the rules it states "No excessive use of bad language"
But something in a sig is easy to see, think about it, the mods can&#39;t view every post across the whole board............not possible so it&#39;s up to us, the posters to restrain ourselves and respect others.

Listen at me, anyone would think I&#39;m Jerry ******* Springer :lol: :lol:

Take Care of yourselfs..........aaaaand eachother :rolleyes:

Jonno B)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
09-22-2003, 11:19 AM
I think we all agree with you JONNO and this has been brought up before about bad Language around here.

But without a filter of some sort you can not stop everybody from useing certain words.And every now and then useing the word "damn" I think is alright.

But I know you just needed to get it off your chest...bring it forward to people to think about.

james_bond_rulez
09-22-2003, 11:20 AM
y&#39;all need zenness

zen.....

DanB
09-22-2003, 11:27 AM
http://schools.brunnet.net/mcadamave_heritage/images/Garden%20digging%20holes.jpg

would you like to borrow my JCB Jonno? :D

http://www.b4ubuild.com/photos/bushpole/bp32.jpg

it digs bigger holes :lol: :lol:

Honestly though i do agree with you

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 11:39 AM
Well done Dan....very funny you muppet :rolleyes:

@Funky......I ain&#39;t got a problem with sh1t and damn and piss and all that, PG words if you like, but I just hate seeing F*** more than anything, I just don&#39;t see the need.
I&#39;ll admit I have used it in temper but it was read in the way I meant it to be read, some people just use it in the flow of coversation (as I do at home and work etc) difference being, when you SAY it you can give it a varience(<Another good word) by the tone of your voice, but in text you can&#39;t do that :(

See, I knew you lot would missunderstand me you F***wits<<<Seee, joke, :D :lol:

Jonno B)

DanB
09-22-2003, 12:07 PM
hee hee, sorry Jonno :P

i&#39;m at work and i&#39;m very bored didnt mean to hijack your serious thread&#33;&#33; :D

while i&#39;m at it, what goes black, white, black, white, black?http://www.sighost.us/members/danb/confused.gif

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 12:30 PM
No worries dude I was just kidding ;)

As for your question........I can think of 3 things but they would all offend :lol: :lol:

Jonno B)

DanB
09-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@22 September 2003 - 13:30
No worries dude I was just kidding ;)

As for your question........I can think of 3 things but they would all offend :lol: :lol:

Jonno B)
just found this to go with your earlier posthttp://www.sighost.us/members/danb/jerry.gif :lol: :lol:

the answer can be what you want but i know of 2:-

a penguin rolling down a hill

a nun rolling down a hill

:lol:

what were you thinking of?

wormless
09-22-2003, 12:47 PM
and stfu&#33; lol b4 someone writes it.we cant do nothing bout the ones thts got the
****&#39;s (stars) cus the swaerin is lanked out. i no wat yr talkin bout and totally agree so as i said at beginnin of this msg stfu jk lol

DanB
09-22-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by wormless@22 September 2003 - 13:47
and stfu&#33; lol b4 someone writes it.we cant do nothing bout the ones thts got the
****&#39;s (stars) cus the swaerin is lanked out. i no wat yr talkin bout and totally agree so as i said at beginnin of this msg stfu jk lol
http://www.sighost.us/members/danb/confused.gif

you talking to me? :o

Evil Gemini
09-22-2003, 03:24 PM
I dont understand why you think spelling Fck or F*** like that is less offensive then spelling it the propper way around.

Im not saying we should all just start spamming 4 letter words, i just find it strange how ppl find the correct speelling of a swear word seems more offensive.

The only word i dont like to see is the C*** word because thats just really disgusting word and should not be used on forums no matter how its spelled.

ezyryder
09-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@22 September 2003 - 10:31
Jesus, look at all them words..........gonna stop now and lay down :blink:

On that topic, quite a number of people may have found that offensive. I mean, I don&#39;t but y&#39;know, there are still a lot of Christians somewhere who may think "using the lords name in vain, tut tut". Personally, I think it&#39;s a whole bunch of smeg, but yeah i&#39;d agree with you, there is too much swearing on the board.

I don&#39;t see how replacing letters with numbers are any better for swearwords, such as the example of sh1t which you gave. If your annoyed with someone and call them a "f0king 4nal c0k mast3r" they aren&#39;t going to go "oh ha ha, i wont take offense you used numbers&#33;&#33;&#33; " and variations such the aforementioned feck still come down to ones interpretation. Most will realise feck as f*** and thus take it the exact same way. So to add to your saying perhaps the replacement words shouldn&#39;t be ** or numberd, or just a new vowl added, instead perhaps the words should be totaly different and non-existant (made up words). Such as smeg (I know it&#39;s a make of a fridge, but that&#39;s not relevant).

Personally, if someone typed (as we don&#39;t have the benefit of tone in the voice)

You little smeg head

instead of

You Little fuck head

i&#39;d take it as a joke and would not take it offensively

Lilmiss
09-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@22 September 2003 - 10:31
(A good friend) said to me in a pm "I&#39;ll Boot Ya C**t in"

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Lynne1977uk/blushing.gif
me&#39;s got a dirty mouth. :D

i completly agree though, there is a time and a place for everything.
you wouldnt swear at a child, (hopefully) so why do it here when there are so many of them visiting the board.

says me n me filthy mouth. <_<

El_Jefe
09-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Poll added. :)

Lilmiss
09-22-2003, 05:52 PM
<_< hmph....no. 4&#39;s a bit mean. :blink: ;)

Guillaume
09-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Profanity should only be allowed in french, as it makes the user sound like a wuss anyways

If even the mods don&#39;t respect the forum rules... Here&#39;s just a reminder:

4. There will be no offensive or inflammatory posts meant to offend or hurt any other member(s) or guest(s)

El_Jefe
09-22-2003, 06:16 PM
It was meant to be a joke, but if it offends you............ It&#39;s been edited. :)

Illuminati
09-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Well as a scouser, I claim my justification card on the basis that swearing&#39;s in my genes :D

But seriously - If needs be, I will comply in masking certain words if it&#39;s decreed necessary. But for that to happen, we in reality need to know which words are masked - The selection of words defined as foul language are different for everyone and what might be alright for one might not be for another.

fugley
09-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Ok I hereby banish me personal collection of swear words from this board - but me is keepin "tits&#33;" as me one and only.

:blink: :blink:

And if that aint hacceptable - tits to you&#33;&#33;

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 07:37 PM
See, now most of you totally missed what I was saying :rolleyes:

I swear........I&#39;m a builder for farks sake :rolleyes:

What I disagree with is the use of the word in full, the word feck, fark, furk are all the same thing but they are done in a Monty Python sorta way.
And if Feck is suitable for 7pm on tv but f*ck is not then that should say something to you.

It&#39;s the way it comes across in text, the word Feck is light hearted and I use it a lot, but the real way of spelling it is agressive and not neccessary.

I just think that it looks nasty in text.

I am not saying I&#39;m a girly boy that gets all upset by it at all :rolleyes:

And what was option 4 before it was edited?? <_<

Jonno B)

J'Pol
09-22-2003, 07:37 PM
I think I tend to use feck or feckin&#39;. I certainly use bar steward. I can&#39;t remember being overly profane, though I did get uppity when Lamsey&#39;s censor smiley was forced on us. I swore a lot then. Sort of ask me nice but don&#39;t censor me thing.

But in the same spirit as fugley&#39;s last no-one is taking my arse from me. I need it too much. (Have to talk out of something don&#39;tcha know).

PS are ice-hole and cork-sucker OK. What about fargin bastage.

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 07:40 PM
I remember your thread about different ways of saying things JPaul :)

That is exactly what I am saying, for the most part swearing is done in jest so why not type it in the comedy form, when I see a bad word typed corectly I see anger and agression.

THAT is my point :)

Jonno B)

Lamsey
09-22-2003, 07:53 PM
I&#39;m not too keen on &#39;swearing for the sake of swearing&#39; - when people just swear in the middle of a sentence for no reason, like
hey check this fucking site out man it is the shit
- swearing can be used for emphasis to good effect, but people spoil that by using it like punctuation.

So that&#39;s my http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/swearani.gifing opinion, you http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/swearani.gifers. If you don&#39;t http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/swearani.gifing like it, then all I&#39;m gonna say is:
http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/tongue.gifhttp://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/fingerright.gif

fugley
09-22-2003, 08:40 PM
tits&#33; :blink:

monkfi5h
09-22-2003, 08:53 PM
hey check this fucking site out man it is the shit

lol I actually say stuff like that when im talking to my friends face to face, but for you guys I prefer to have some decency and to leave cuss words to a minimum...

I myself don&#39;t mind the softer words such as tits and bollocks, but harsher words hurt...

I mean whats the point in swearing, espeically if you don&#39;t know these people and all their gonna do is judge you and think your not a pleasant person to talk to

... so for the benefit of the board, people should just keep the cussing down, then we wouldn&#39;t have to worry about editing as we would type in a cuss free enviroment :flowers:

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 08:58 PM
I think the poll should include

"Swearing is ok in comedy form"

And I knew you lot would use this thread as a way of swearing <_<
Bunch of bloody kids you are <_<

Why don&#39;t you all act like adults like I do :P

Jonno B)

DarthInsinuate
09-22-2003, 09:03 PM
swearing is important - it makes everyone&#39;s robotic words more human
its only bad if i for example was saying:

shut the fuck up, swearing is fucking important - it makes all bitch&#39;s bullshiting more cum-shot-ejactastic

swearing is acceptable if I was saying:

fugley ran over my foot, the fucking cunt

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Oh fuck it..........I give up :(

Jonno B)

james_bond_rulez
09-22-2003, 09:06 PM
wow a lot of ppl voted the third one, great minds think alike

soopaman
09-22-2003, 09:47 PM
Option 3.

They are only words Jonno. Chill the fuck out&#33;&#33;&#33; :P :lol:

Seriously though, excessive swearing - like Lamseys excessive pontificating - is boring to read. I find it pretty funny that you are criticising peoples right to say what they want, especially on the Internet which I thought (perhaps mistakenly) gave us ALL the option to exercise our freedom of speech and expression.

soopaman <_<

J'Pol
09-22-2003, 09:54 PM
No I&#39;m with you Jonno. tis a good and noble cause. The language we use is a rich, colourful and diverse one. Too many people bastardise it already.

There is no need for the constant swearing when there are so many other ways to express yourself. I particularly like fugley&#39;s gnorff (sp) expression. I think it is a picture in words, expressing it&#39;s true meaning along with the subtle undertones.

So who&#39;s with us, who will stand alongside me as I take Jonno&#39;s rear.

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war, for tonight we ride. Jonno and I, into that darkest valley.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/sirpickle/carrot/feck.jpg

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
09-22-2003, 09:58 PM
;) Wow..look at all the cussing.I told you Jonno....the only way is a Filter.

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by soopaman@22 September 2003 - 21:47
I find it pretty funny that you are criticising peoples right to say what they want,

No no no, I never said that at all, I have been trying to make a point that 90% of people replied to here have totally missed and jumped on me for :(

My point is, why use a word like fuck when you can use feck???

If I said to you

Oh Soop Fuck off you muppet..........<<That is offensive (Not meant btw)

But if I said

Oh Soop Feck off you muppet ...............<<That is a non serious jesting phrase

That is my opinion, I just don&#39;t see the need to swear in jest when you can use the comedy alternative :)

And some of you think I&#39;m angry about it, no I&#39;m not, I just wanted to know what others thought, I am very very hard to offend, there is nothing I hav&#39;nt heard and been called, so there&#39;s nothing new any of you can say to me :)

Jonno B)

J'Pol
09-22-2003, 10:03 PM
Jonno I am supporting you, see my last.

I wish to join your crusade.

JONNO_CELEBS
09-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@22 September 2003 - 21:54

So who&#39;s with us, who will stand alongside me as I take Jonno&#39;s rear.

:blink: You will? :blink:

@ FC.......I&#39;m starting to agree I thought we were all grown up round here to a degree :(

In Hinesite I wish I had&#39;nt started this, it was meant as a discussion not a licence to swear.
This must be the most fowl mouthed thread ever :(

I apologise

Jonno B)

Lamsey
09-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by JPaul+22 September 2003 - 21:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul &#064; 22 September 2003 - 21:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> So who&#39;s with us, who will stand alongside me as I take Jonno&#39;s rear. [/b]
:blink:

<!--QuoteBegin-JONNO_CELEBS@22 September 2003 - 22:10
This must be the most fowl mouthed thread ever[/quote]
:huh: http://whyfiles.org/shorties/images2/chicken.gif ?

Guillaume
09-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@23 September 2003 - 01:06
:huh: http://whyfiles.org/shorties/images2/chicken.gif ?
Three legged fowl? :blink: You people in Scotland were closer to Tchernobyl??? :blink:

I&#39;m back ( yeah; for those who care&#33; ;) )

Now, I agree that the board rule on profanity must be enforced somehow (I hope that doesn&#39;t sound too much like RIAA talk&#33; :lol: ), but the choice to swear must be ours...
A computerized filter can&#39;t decide for us when there really is the need to swear.
That&#39;s one of the reasons there are mods around: to tell you when you&#39;re going too far...

edit: too drunk to spell properly, call me Ad Jr&#33; :lol:

JONNO_CELEBS
09-23-2003, 12:20 AM
Hey Gurahl, long time dude :)

Hows you except being half cut :lol:

Jonno B)

bigboab
09-23-2003, 12:20 AM
Whats your family motto JP? &#39;Never leave your pals behind?&#39; :P

Guillaume
09-23-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@23 September 2003 - 01:20
Hows you except being half cut :lol:

Jonno B)
Half cut :blink: ?

I spent a few hours drinking the beers I couldn&#39;t have last night... So I&#39;ll need an eplanation on most things that are going on here&#33; ( talk slowly and not too loud please&#33; )

JONNO_CELEBS
09-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Don&#39;t say fuck or cant in here ;)

Half cut is pished as in..........as a newt

Other than that........not a lot

But I have fed the penguins :blink:

Jonno B)

Guillaume
09-23-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@23 September 2003 - 01:28
But I have fed the penguins :blink:

Jonno B)
Is that Jonny or Jonno speaking???

hobbes
09-23-2003, 12:44 AM
I agree with several people:

Ezyryder is correct: f*ck you= fuck you, it carries all the anger and derogatory meaning of the unedited version.

I agree with Lamsey: fuck is not a simple adjective: Let me see the fucking book, man. (Unless the book is the Kama Sutra).

I agree with JPaul: funny cursing- barsteward, cork sucker, etc are really friendly exchanges and are not meant to reflect anger or insult someone.

Whipping out a nasty jag from time to time may be called for, but words only retain their impact if we use them properly.

fiddy
09-23-2003, 12:53 AM
Doesnt matter to me, Ive seen much in my life on message boards.

sparsely
09-23-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by some fucker
Ezyryder is correct: f*ck you= fuck you, it carries all the anger and derogatory meaning of the unedited version.

I&#39;ve never understood this concept. On they radio they beep out all the fucks and bitches and shits on songs, but only
enough to obscure like, the last two letters of the word. Everyone knows what they&#39;re saying, why not just fucking say it? But that&#39;s the way people are, we want it both ways.
Sorry, you can&#39;t have it. If it&#39;s an adult board, with adult pictures (see the avs & sigs?), then expect adult language.

but whatever, that&#39;s just my 2 cents. If I disagree with the people in charge, I&#39;ll just say "fuck the fucking fuckers". :o :P

JONNO_CELEBS
09-23-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by hobbes@23 September 2003 - 00:44

Whipping out a nasty jag from time to time may be called for, but words only retain their impact if we use them properly.
That is exactly what I have been trying to say :)

Jonno B)