PDA

View Full Version : Usenetworld.net?

EyeBaller
04-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Anyone have any experience with them? Seems too good to be true. $19.95 for 12 months unlimited service with 110 days retention? Also you get a free copy of newsrover and every 50th subscriber gets a free ipod touch??

http://usenetworld.net/

UsenetGuy
04-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Most likely a scam.

ericab
04-18-2009, 06:09 PM
the website looks like its out of one of those premade template packages
i call scam

hasu
04-18-2009, 08:18 PM
can't find any reviews of it anywhere. it's fake and scam. :yup:

MrBackup
04-19-2009, 10:11 PM
The server works fine.

zot
04-19-2009, 11:17 PM
It's obviously not a fly-by-night operation, as the company has been around since 2003, and is even listed on News Rover's web page of usenet providers - and has been for several years.

http://www.newsrover.com/service.htm

(granted, it seems nearly all the providers listed either pay for referrals or contract with News Rover to supply a newsreader with the NSP's server details hard-coded - so it's not exactly an unbiased "recommendation")

Even though Usenetworld has been around for many years, I've not been able to find any complaints about them - or really much discussion about them at all.

This may well be a legitimate news service, but obviously at a price of only $1.66/month for "unlimited" - it won't take many heavy downloaders to completely bust their budget.

The server works fine.
The service might work just fine for new users, but the big question is ... does the service get worse for heavy users? Do they throttle or cut off people who download a lot of gigs? I'm sure they will.

UsenetGuy
04-20-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't trust it, how could anyone offer good service for that price? Anyways, could be a reseller of NewsHosting. news-usenetworld.net pings to unlimited.newshosting.com <- that is NewsHosting's unlimited server, so the service could infact be what it says on the site. No idea how they would be able to do that though.

SonsOfLiberty
04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Someone who has $20 to spare go ahead and sign up and see what happens, after all it's only $20 and you could win a iPod touch, hell you might even win a giant whale. :lol:

ericab
04-20-2009, 04:34 PM
:lol:

zubzeero
04-20-2009, 08:05 PM
--

MrBackup
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
I subscribed to Usenetworld from a little over three weeks and offers an excellent service. I download the maximum speed my line without any problems. Usenetworld is a reseller of Newshosting. Very recommended. The price is laughable, and there is no need to pay more for other servers. There is the opinion of each.

Skiz
04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I subscribed to Usenetworld from a little over three weeks and offers an excellent service. I download the maximum speed my line without any problems. Usenetworld is a reseller of Newshosting. Very recommended. The price is laughable, and there is no need to pay more for other servers. There is the opinion of each.

How could they be a reseller when they're selling the service for less? :unsure:

hdjunky
04-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Usenetworld is a reseller of Newshosting. Very recommended.

Boy, you are right about that, to some degree, read further into my story to see why!

I gave the 5 bucks a month thing a try as that would be perfect for me and cheap enough.

I paid, but account setting up was not automated...so I had to wait for them to email me my details. I waited and waited. I finally sent support an email and they responded by Saturday night with some login details.

The first set did not work, grrrr. I replied back to support and told them this. By mid-morning Sunday, they had responded back with some details telling me to "try these".

The funny thing is, the second set of login details did not match up in structure as the first set. First set was numbers, the second set was an actual username.

Now heres where the story gets fun! I got to thinking about the username differences...On a whim I tried logging into the Newshosting Control panel and VIOLA! i had logged into this account! I had access to this guys invoices, ability to cancel account and any other account functions that one may have!

What does that lead me to believe? Yes, they are selling Newshosting access, but they are taking it to the extreme! RESELLING ACTUAL PERSONAL UNLIMITED accounts!!

It certainly matches up if you look at prices. By One unlimited account for every few new subs you get, but just shows me they are a fly by night type company. i assume they do not have automated setups simply because they assign so many users to use each unlimited account they buy!:unsure:

I would think this would raise costs for all other users too. Needless to say i am canceling. I will probably e-mail Newshosting about it too.

tusks
04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
HDJunky's post makes a lot of sense. It's possible newshosting doesn't regulate the amount of IPs that use an account simultaneously and therefore Usenetworld is buying a small amount of accounts and reselling them to a bunch of people, which would explain why they can offer such cheap prices. I'm not positive about this theory ofcourse but that's my best guess.

zot
04-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Wow, I never expected anything like this. It's a scam all right, though we're not the ones being scammed.

Please post some screenshots (with login details covered over) I'm curious how many gigs from a single Newshosting account were being leeched.

At Usenetworld's current price of $20/yr, they would need to re-sell a single Newshosting account to nine different people just to break even.

You might want to ask Newshosting for a complimentary account before reporting the login details to them. Otherwise, your account will just get canceled and you'll get nothing for reporting the scam.

EyeBaller
04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Good work hdjunky. It had to be some kind of scam.. Astraweb it is :)

ericab
04-21-2009, 05:07 PM
yeah report this idiot to Newshosting;
im sure they would like to hear about it

zot
04-22-2009, 12:02 AM
They should also be reported to News Rover, so they can hopefully remove Usenetworld from their list of recommended providers.

As Usenetworld has been in business and selling cut-rate usenet for quite a few years, I'm sure they must have had quite a few resold accounts discovered and busted over the years.

So they probably will just carry on and create even more new accounts, maybe even with other providers.

Since they've apparently been doing this for a long time, I wonder how many different providers they're ripping off? I doubt that it's just Newshosting.

EyeBaller
04-22-2009, 02:40 AM
They should also be reported to News Rover, so they can hopefully remove Usenetworld from their list of recommended providers.

As Usenetworld has been in business and selling cut-rate usenet for quite a few years, I'm sure they must have had quite a few resold accounts discovered and busted over the years.

So they probably will just carry on and create even more new accounts, maybe even with other providers.

Since they've apparently been doing this for a long time, I wonder how many different providers they're ripping off? I doubt that it's just Newshosting.

Most providers don't allow logins from multiple IPs, so it's probably only a limited number that they can scam.

PS: did anyone sign up and get the ipod touch? :rolleyes:

SonsOfLiberty
04-22-2009, 02:54 AM
PS: did anyone sign up and get the ipod touch? :rolleyes:

No, but they sent me a frackin' giant whale, wtf am I supposed to do with that? I can't play my music on it :lol:

MrBackup
04-22-2009, 01:18 PM
The accounts of many customers who had contracted with the Usenetworld service, lead does not work since yesterday. I have written to Usenetworld but I have not had a response.

I have also written to support Newshosting but ignore the problem.

Newshosting said that not know to Usenetworld but they are liars because their accounts that are resold.

This smells very bad. This smells rotten.

saulin
04-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Hahaha you guys just ruined this (these) guy(s) business and the opportunity to get the cheapest usenet access.

mikeHD
04-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Great job fellas.

hdjunky
04-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi guys, sorry i have not been back to the thread since I last reported my findings. Allow me to give you an update.

I sent a note to Newshosting about it. It took roughly a day, but the account that I was given for usenetworld was disabled. Once I found it was disabled, I wrote to usenetworld support asking why my access was canceled and was told "Access should be restored in no more than a few days".....So lets see what they can come up with for service in a few days. :)

Also, if you look on there website, it says something about giving access to something like 19 different systems across the world! I guess when they randomly pick which personal unlimited account they are going to sell/put you on, they can advertise and give access to that many systems!!

Oh yea one thing...when I first signed up, the first set of login details they sent me only worked to log in to the account center. What they have in there is some sort of web based news set up (similar to easynews I guess?) that you can download what you want right from your browser. It is branded with News Guys logos and stuff. I am thinking maybe they do indeed resell this type of service legitimately, but when they realized it was crap and needed something else to offer, this is what made them get into the sleazy business of selling personal accounts, remember, I had to write in telling them my login credentials, although they logged into the website fine, I could not login with my newsreader....it was only after logging that support ticket was I offered the newshosting details.

I will keep you all informed!

Hahaha you guys just ruined this (these) guy(s) business and the opportunity to get the cheapest usenet access.

Yes, but how long would they have been around for? You would never know if your login would work or not...even though it is only 20 bucks, why give it to them?

zot
04-22-2009, 10:59 PM
We shouldn't forget that whenever we click on a link on a web page, the site we go to can see the exact page that we came from.

Not every site op looks at this referral information, but many do, especially commercial sites involved in selling something.

So it's quite possible that someone from UsenetWorld has been reading this thread - or will soon! :sick:

MrBackup
04-23-2009, 09:29 AM
"Hello

Please accept my apologies, service will resume within the next couple of days at the very most.

Cheers

Simon"

This is what the guru of Usenetworld and the are no service still, take two days like this. I would like to know what legal options might be taken against this company and this guy for doing what he does. Newshosting is also involved in because it knows that the maneuvers of this guy (Simon Green).

EyeBaller
04-23-2009, 02:54 PM
"Hello

Please accept my apologies, service will resume within the next couple of days at the very most.

Cheers

Simon"

This is what the guru of Usenetworld and the are no service still, take two days like this. I would like to know what legal options might be taken against this company and this guy for doing what he does. Newshosting is also involved in because it knows that the maneuvers of this guy (Simon Green).

If I were you I would ask them for a refund. If they don't give it to you, then call your CC company (assuming you paid by CC) and dispute the charge.

enigmax
04-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Something is suspect here. I've written to both Usenetworld and Newshosting more than once and they have both completely ignored my mails to explain the situation.

I expected more from Newshosting, i've been a customer of theirs for many years and have recommended them to many people. Never again. Plenty more providers around that are prepared to listen to customer concerns, or at least give them the courtesy of a reply.

enigmax // torrentfreak

SonsOfLiberty
04-26-2009, 03:23 PM
This is why I like Astraweb, start trouble ticket and normally here from theme the same day, and you can't beat $11 unlimited plan either.

ericab
04-26-2009, 05:23 PM
This is why I like Astraweb, start trouble ticket and normally here from theme the same day, and you can't beat $11 unlimited plan either.

truth.