PDA

View Full Version : OVH Speed Caps (95%)

CodeBlue
04-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Is OVH still placing bandwidth caps on high usage boxes? Or have they lightened up on enforcement because of server.lu?

How badly do you have to max out the line before it's an issue? And for how long? Anyone been capped in the past 30 to 60 days? What were your stats before the cap?

Cabalo
04-19-2009, 12:03 AM
when do you notice the cap ? what's the average up speed for the average joe to notice such a thing?

CodeBlue
04-19-2009, 04:19 AM
Cabalo, I'm a little confused by your questions. The speed cap I'm talking about was something OVH put into place about 5 months ago for non-premium boxes. I believe if you use more than 95% of your 100mb connection for a few days, they'll cap your speed to 10 to 20mbits (1 - 2mbytes).

My question is are they still enforcing that rule? Has anyone here been capped recently?

Ichigo81
04-19-2009, 05:04 PM
They are, although I've never hit it. I believe it's 95% of your 100mbit for 36 hours. So if you're seeding at 11mB/s (or whatever it is) and have been doing it for 36 hours (not straight, but combined) then you will be put in noSLA.

This is my take on it anyways :P

FransTormer
04-19-2009, 06:49 PM
I haven't hit the so-called limit yet but I can most certainly say I do more than 36 hours a month above 11MB/s. It might also be dependent on where you got the machine from; as far as I know, resellers can spread their total peak-bandwidth while single customers can't, so if you're with a reseller and he has, for instance, 10 machines and you're the only one hitting 11MB/s in a month, you could theoretically do 10x36 hours which is about 15 days.

Anyhow, welcome to the world of "unmetered bandwidth"; no guarantee you can max out your connection at your convenience.

Squizzle
04-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Afaik they only limit transit (i.e. upload to places where they don't have peering agreements), also it depends on the bandwidth package you select. Standard bandwidth is based on the 95th percentile model.

I read today that OVH currently run over 50,000 servers, I don't think they're threatened by server.lu to be honest.

You can find detailed descriptions of their bandwidth policies and how they'll affect you on their forums, go over there and check out the madness. They're doing some massive upgrades at the minute, it's interesting reading.

Sanka113
04-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Honestly, it's not really that big of an issue unless, you're an uploader and/or buffer whore. If you're just a regular seedbox user you should be fine.

CodeBlue
04-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like it isn't really a problem.

manu1991
04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
I am pretty sure i was suffering from that , i used share a Kimsufi 3XL with 4 friends and all of us were heavy users so there was continuous max out for ~ 4 days and the server got capped now no one gets > 100 kBps :P ive moved to server.lu though

04-22-2009, 06:16 AM
it cap me today i can't download anything fcuk

they stop me download by [F]Error: ??

beware from kimsufi [ OVH ]

FransTormer
04-22-2009, 06:42 AM

Sounds more like something else being erratic than being capped. Dunno if you're just here to rant or did proper research on your problem but even when capped, you will still have some bandwidth to download/upload on any protocol.

So if you really can't do anything at this moment, it's unlikely because of being capped/

OmarH
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
lol thats just an utorrent error in the webui

Six66Mike
04-22-2009, 01:26 PM
I've had an SP Storage on Low Priority OVH-Internet for well over a month. Even 2 days of downtime didn't get it back on track. I'm dumping it this week.

Cabalo
04-22-2009, 01:57 PM

hahaha what a noob :lol:

dance4
04-22-2009, 06:45 PM
I've had an SP Storage on Low Priority OVH-Internet for well over a month. Even 2 days of downtime didn't get it back on track. I'm dumping it this week.

I like it when people write crap like that :D

I believe if you use more than 95% of your 100mb connection for a few days, they'll cap your speed to 10 to 20mbits (1 - 2mbytes).

next :D

But it was better then anything else :D :D :D

FransTormer
04-22-2009, 08:42 PM
I like it when people write crap like that :D / next :D / But it was better then anything else :D :D :D
Wow, you must be really happy to have had your last day of elementary school today and can start posting in a more decent manner than the sentences above or some other things you've managed to post on these forums.

Apparently your experience with OVH is much better or much worse; don't know exactly if you're even able to rent a server from your allowance or that you need a parent to sign for it but it would be very helpful for others (either current members or future members of these forums), if a topic on speed-capping would actually inform them instead having to read your gibberish and ranting.

Back on-topic: just spoke to my previous seedbox-host and he said he hasn't gotten a single server capped since he started renting/reselling @ OVH about 11 months ago while the average traffic per server (and he has 21 machines at this moment) per month is around 14TB.

I think, with OVH expanding their infrastructure, capping might not happen at all in the (near) future but if someone has a very clear example why his/her server got cut short, please let us know.

dance4
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I like it when people write crap like that :D / next :D / But it was better then anything else :D :D :D
Wow, you must be really happy to have had your last day of elementary school today and can start posting in a more decent manner than the sentences above or some other things you've managed to post on these forums.

Apparently your experience with OVH is much better or much worse; don't know exactly if you're even able to rent a server from your allowance or that you need a parent to sign for it but it would be very helpful for others (either current members or future members of these forums), if a topic on speed-capping would actually inform them instead having to read your gibberish and ranting.

Back on-topic: just spoke to my previous seedbox-host and he said he hasn't gotten a single server capped since he started renting/reselling @ OVH about 11 months ago while the average traffic per server (and he has 21 machines at this moment) per month is around 14TB.

I think, with OVH expanding their infrastructure, capping might not happen at all in the (near) future but if someone has a very clear example why his/her server got cut short, please let us know.

Heh .. recently I have visited this forum just to have some fun cause the things people write here are just amazing....

SP storage no-sla ? :D they don't have anything like that :D It's premium bw ...

next ...

problem with uT and he writes that they capp him :D

If you knew as much as i do about OVH / seedboxes you would lought too :D

CodeBlue
04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Yes dance4, it's amazing what some people write. We're all loughting... :rolleyes:

you would lought too

BTW

What are the capped speeds? I'm ordering through a reseller, so it looks like the standard SLA is structured on a sliding scale based on the number of servers the reseller has? Should I expect 10Mb if it gets capped?

http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/#network

FransTormer
04-23-2009, 08:13 AM
No doubt you're the man and we could all lought with you if you were to post your experiences with OVH instead...

Six66Mike
04-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Heh .. recently I have visited this forum just to have some fun cause the things people write here are just amazing....

SP storage no-sla ? :D they don't have anything like that :D It's premium bw ...

next ...

problem with uT and he writes that they capp him :D

Really, the Premium bandwidth has guaranteed/SLA bandwidth? No, it doesn't...

Bandwidth is NOT guaranteed at PEAK times over TRANSIT
Bandwidth is guaranteed over PEERING at all times at 100Mbps

Nor was I compensated for over a week downtime, strange eh?

..next. Oh right, the cap. So you think they don't throttle you if you hit the 95th percentile? Ok, why is this in my control panel then?

http://xs538.xs.to/xs538/09174/shaped707.png

That right there my dumb compadre has nothing to do with the configuration of the server at all. Strange how the MRTG shows no traffic over 8mbps for 2 weeks as well. Damn, must be the swarm and my config...

bilbo818
04-24-2009, 12:05 AM
I never had problems with them capping me although I had my kimsufi around 4 months ago.