PDA

View Full Version : Emi Sued Board User

TheMusicMan
09-22-2003, 06:05 PM
The companies

Warner Bros. -•- Universal Music Studios -•- BMG München -•- BMG Berlin -•- EMI Musik Group

did sue a 36 year old guy from germany because he was an active board user at www.mp3network.to

The problem in this case was that this board user had the same nickname like a well known uploader. The court did decide that this is reason enough to sue him.

For now he has to pay 20.000 Euro (Euro and Dollar are nearly a 1:1 calculation - it's a bit less at the moment) but EMI wants to sue this guy (300.000 Euro this time) because he did not sign some document that he won't do it again (remember that he did not upload it but the court did say that it is enough reason to sue him if the court believes that he is responsible - EMI doesn't have to prove it !)

How did they find this guy ?

Like I posted before: He was a board user and had some avatars linked to his domain name plus he has his real birthday in his board profile - that was enough information to "get him".

If you understand german you can visit http://www.mp3-streit.de/ to learn more about this case.

I think it is not the correct way to sue a user just because he has the same nickname like a well known uploader.

What do you think about this ?

Greetings

pol
09-22-2003, 06:08 PM
:( poor sod

my name's frank btw and i was born on the 1st of april 1990, pleased to meet ya :D

Somebody1234
09-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Gives me the idea that we are being watched. :blink:

3rd gen noob
09-22-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Somebody1234@22 September 2003 - 18:15
Gives me the idea that we are being watched. :blink:
i think that's pretty much a given...however, there shouldn't be anything wrong with visiting a forum...

this guy is very unlucky

Icey
09-22-2003, 06:19 PM
seems a bit harsh. i feel for the guy :(

P2P FOREVER! :D