PDA

View Full Version : HELP needed for file recovery

slotko42
04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Ever have one of those days/weeks/ years (lifetimes)?

I had 1 TB of movies and music I had downloaded and it was scattered over several drives. So, I bought a new 1.5 TB drive and copied everything there in preparation to archive most of it to DVD.

Wiped and reused the old drives. Two bloody days later the new drive destroys itself. FRACK!
That is a big chunk of my life gone.

The drive thrashes briefly on boot. It shows in device mgr.
> Norton states the file table is corrupt.
> GParted states the drive cannot be access because it was not properly unmounted.
> chkdsk will not recognize the drive.
> Ubuntu linux will not recognize the drive.
> No commercial tools (Pareto, NTFS Recover, Recover data for NTFS, Diskinternals) recognize the drive.

Any constructive advice on how I might recover the music is desperatley needed.

you can email me at slotko42 at hotmail

sparcode
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Need more information:
Disk manufacturer and model?
File system?
R-Studio recognize this drive ?

saulin
04-20-2009, 09:01 PM
If you already wrote data to that drive after wiping it changes of getting full ISOs are not very good. Changes of getting small files back is really good.

I just lost over 400 gigs of ISOs and Movies. I was able to recover about 5 full ISOs out of maybe 80. None of the movies. I was able to recover lots of small program files though and favorites, documents etc..

I used GetData Back for NTFS. It took about 2.5hrs to scan a 500Gig HDD. The problem is when you write stuff over a drive after wipping it. It's very unlikely to get good data even if you wipe it again.

Technically if your system still sees the drive you can recover data off it even if windows doesn't see it.

zot
04-21-2009, 07:07 AM
One trick that sometimes works (for a few minutes anyway) is to put the crashed drive in the freezer overnight (preferably on the lowest temperature setting). Better yet is to pack it in dry ice.

Although it will quickly heat up once powered up and spinning, running a HDD at a sub-zero temperature sometimes makes it possible to copy files to another drive while it's still cold.

the
04-24-2009, 02:23 AM
VirtualLab Client by BinaryBiz brought the best results for data recovery for me.

msalman
04-24-2009, 07:54 AM
use getdataback its best search in TBP enjoy:)

VinX
04-25-2009, 05:41 AM
use getdataback its best search in TBP enjoy:)

+1

getdataback is nice software ...

cinephilia
04-25-2009, 04:38 PM
you can always try one of those softwares:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2nhktpy.png

holywave
04-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Great list ...
From the above list i recommend Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery Software.Awesome software....

dadelor
05-01-2009, 01:57 AM
your best bet is to try the freezer trick, and see what you can get out of it

slotko42
05-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I located another drive/same model and swapped the controller board but it was a no go. It seems the actual motor on the bad drive had died. Thaanks for the advice.

sez
05-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Or if everything fails but the data is very important for you,there are guys who are good with the hardware aspect of it and know how to take apart a hard disk and retrieve all the data for you even from a microwaved hard drive,so yours isn't really a goner yet,if you can't do it by your own just take it to the experts.

Sanka113
05-30-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm still working on recovering my data from my crashed hard drive, but i've found that out of "GetDataBack" and "recover my files" and 'file-rescue plus', FRP finds more files than the other too. The bad sectors are too fooked for the other two to search the drive effectviley and yield very few results. FPS finds everything but it freezes when you copy too many files.

Nance
05-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Easy recovery/ use Advanced Recovery section

jbloggs
06-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm assumig that the drive is a seagate 1.5TB drive that has been plagued with issues since its launch and required a firmware upgrade to fix the issue.

You can try the utilities from Hiren's Boot CD which has several HDD recovery tools. You can see a list of tools/utilities included at the following link

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd