PDA

View Full Version : New what.cd userclass rules

1000possibleclaws
04-21-2009, 04:25 AM
Dang, I'm gonna demoted if I don't upload some new albums :pinch:.. Luckily I have a ton that aren't on there, school JUST finished for me, and this will give me some motivation to up what I was putting off.

Alot of seedbox users and trancoders who make like 5 (useless?) ogg rips of torrents will get demoted. What do you guys think of the changes? I'm happy with them cause I bet there's tons of people in my position who just needed a little push to start sharing. :)

Funkin'
04-21-2009, 05:22 AM
I like how What.cd makes you share music if you care about being promoted to some userclass. It's all around good for the site and members. I won't be demoted by these new changes, but it will take me a little while longer now to hit the next class.

The changes on formats are a bit surprising though.

The_Martinator
04-21-2009, 06:09 AM
I will also be demoted, but I agree with the new rules. I became a PU pretty easily. You just needed a SB at the right time and then just had to upload 1 album.

1000possibleclaws
04-21-2009, 06:23 AM
I probably have at least a hundred albums I could upload. I've already passed the quota I needed but I won't be consistently connected to the net for the next few days so I doubt I will upload more. Might later on though; never chose that site to upload my music on in the past but I've grown to love everything about it so I'll probably start going through my rarities and seeing what I can contribute over the next few months.

I will also be demoted, but I agree with the new rules. I became a PU pretty easily. You just needed a SB at the right time and then just had to upload 1 album.

Ya the PU userclass was pretty easy to reach without necessarily contributing much. I think this will also deflate the torrent count, cause all those unpopular formats will get deleted.

Stellar
04-21-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm in favor of the new rules. These changes will get people to upload more stuff and share the wealth. (I'm so glad I won't be demoted from PU.) :lol:
The elite class is going to take me a while to attain though. Time to dig through some collections.

james223
04-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Will cut down the crap torrent formats and make PU become more active and participate.

Raban
04-21-2009, 10:49 AM
well first off i don't understand the 'changes' to the rules. the new text for elite users says you must currently have 50 uploaded torrents... ya well i thought it was always that way. i have 50 uploads and have been seeding them forever to maintain my elite status... i already thought i had to do that.

anyways for you guys talking about ripping albums and whatnot ... here's a hint which requires a lot less effort ... just go on one of the 0-day torrent sites and download scene release music... then go upload it to what.cd... very simple really..

only catch is ya have to continue seeding it yourself ya don't want it to drop to 0 seeders or it gets removed after 2 weeks.

04-21-2009, 02:18 PM
ill stay as PU :D

redMonster
04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
well first off i don't understand the 'changes' to the rules. the new text for elite users says you must currently have 50 uploaded torrents... ya well i thought it was always that way. i have 50 uploads and have been seeding them forever to maintain my elite status... i already thought i had to do that.Previously, if you reached elite and let your uploaded torrent count die to below 50, then you couldn't be demoted. Now as soon as you go below 50 torrents, you will be demoted.

And btw, I am not getting demoted. And I may soon be a TM. :P

stoi
04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
I think that what they would rather have is members uploading new stuff all the time, rather than sit on 50 torrents for 5 years and never upload a new torrent.

Or thats the way i read what you said, but then again, someone, somewhere, will always find a loophole/negative to anything tracker staff tries to do.

Or maybe you are correct an what think a lot differently to what i do, my philosphy is, once you have got 5 snatches on the torrent, you can leave it forever, its up to those that snatched it to keep it alive.

I always seed other members stuff a lot longer than my own uploads, I have done my bit putting it on the tracker for the members, its up to the members to make sure other members can still get it.

Defy
04-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I enjoy the change. It does give people the little extra push that was needed.

0Ri0N
04-21-2009, 05:21 PM
i absolutely agree with these new rules.

colombianino
04-21-2009, 05:23 PM
I think that what they would rather have is members uploading new stuff all the time, rather than sit on 50 torrents for 5 years and never upload a new torrent.

Or thats the way i read what you said, but then again, someone, somewhere, will always find a loophole/negative to anything tracker staff tries to do.

Or maybe you are correct an what think a lot differently to what i do, my philosphy is, once you have got 5 snatches on the torrent, you can leave it forever, its up to those that snatched it to keep it alive.

I always seed other members stuff a lot longer than my own uploads, I have done my bit putting it on the tracker for the members, its up to the members to make sure other members can still get it.

totally with you on this one, some can't maintain 100+ torrents, i bet my internet would be stalled on "waiting...." all the time.

the idea is good. it does make people upload more, and they finally are doing something about their uneeded rips.

sadly i am against this as i don't see a benefit from being forced to upload, not that they are being forced, they'll just get demoted.

IMO uploading torrents counts as much as downloading them, so i would promote the 2 together but i guess they just want the whole world in mp3 and flac in their db :cool: , i am not against that

brightsid
04-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Nothing's changing for me. My personal opinion is that what is missing downloaders not uploaders. A rule against overseeding would be interesting

cinephilia
04-21-2009, 10:02 PM
i'd rather prefer what.cd to enable seedpoints bonuses, it would be more fair than the actual system.

deadalive1
04-21-2009, 10:16 PM
This change doesn't effect me at all and if you can't upload 5 files then you really don't need to be promoted to power user in the first place.

The Flying Cow
04-21-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm having difficulty understanding what "their current uploaded torrent total is less than 5" means.

Does it mean your 5 uploads have to have seeders or you won't be a PU?

Word, word. I mean it's hard to keep 5 torrents active if you're uploading less known stuff innit.

Just the act of ripping and uploading it should be awarded. Say I make a FLAC rip of an extremely rare rap album, that x5 should be enough to be a PU IMO...

Raban
04-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Does it mean your 5 uploads have to have seeders or you won't be a PU?

yes i believe so. your "Uploaded" count in the user stats can go down if a torrent is removed from the system. torrents get removed after 2 weeks of no seeder activity.

this is why i've personally seeded all my torrents the entire time cause i dont want to have to rely on strangers to keep them going.

the better trick would be to upload extremely popular torrents ones that will have dozens if not hundreds of seeders that way you wouldn't have to worry about keeping them going... but with a lot of mine i'm the only seeder so it's just easier to keep them all going myself.

cinephilia
04-21-2009, 10:42 PM
personally, i don't give a fuck to user classes as long as my buffer is good enough to let me download whatever i need.

IdolEyes787
04-21-2009, 11:12 PM
What do you actually get for PU anyway.I mean besides being able to hang out with all the other cool kids.

Stellar
04-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Being able to hang out with all the other cool kids makes becoming a power user worth it.

IdolEyes787
04-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Cool kids hang out at the back of the bus.True story.:cool:

Villalltheway
04-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Nothing's changing for me. My personal opinion is that what is missing downloaders not uploaders.

Have to agree with this, for me nothing will change. Also yea people should be encourage to download more, too many seeders on what but not enough leechers.

n00bz0r
04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm happy with them cause I bet there's tons of people in my position who just needed a little push to start sharing. :)
am on the same boat.:unsure:
looking up my old collection for a few albums that are not there atm :happy: