PDA

View Full Version : What is TTL???

prasannab13
04-21-2009, 07:04 AM
I have seen in some trackers instead of seeders/leechers list they have TTL list with hours.What does it mean???

stoi
04-21-2009, 07:12 AM
It means Total time left to live (or words to that effect)

On some trackers, as soon as the total reaches 0 (from usually 30 days) the torrent gets deleted from the tracker, regardless if there are seeders or leechers on it.

I have personally never really seen the point of the feature, but i suppose for a 0 day tracker where they dont care about longevity and want to keep things up to date, it could be useful.

Or i suppose if it is instead of seeders/leechers, it could be the total number of peers on the torrent (seeders and leechers) but i have never seen it used that way.

prasannab13
04-21-2009, 07:27 AM
thankss stoi(BCG) for reply

1000possibleclaws
04-21-2009, 08:18 AM
The only tracker I cant think of that enforces TTL is TB. If you look at the oldest torrents there, some have 50+ seeders right before they get removed. Most trackers will show TTL but will not enforce it

Jim
04-21-2009, 11:49 AM
time to live or time to leech its not really a usless feature as if youre dl a 40gig pack and its only got 1 hour to live you aint gonna get it !! :D plus the time usually starts from a set number and counts down so you know how long the torrent has been avaliable on that particular site :naughty:

HMthePM
04-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Filelist also does that, and its generally pretty bad.

stoi
04-21-2009, 01:32 PM
time to live or time to leech its not really a usless feature as if youre dl a 40gig pack and its only got 1 hour to live you aint gonna get it !! :D plus the time usually starts from a set number and counts down so you know how long the torrent has been avaliable on that particular site :naughty:

But if there was no total, you could download it anytime, without worrying about it getting deleted.

and surely its easier to see how long its been on a site by the date uploaded.

21/04/08 = 1 year on the site

TTL = -7790 hours (= about a year if it starts at +30 days)

but the top one is a lot easier to me.

I still dont see the point in it, hence why it was 1 of the first things we took off years ago.

n00bz0r
04-28-2009, 03:26 PM
TTL = Time To Live
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_live
that should help you get some more info.