PDA

View Full Version : WMV files not playing

Scraff
04-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Hi folks. I'm new to downloading torrents so maybe the following question can be answered fairly easily.

I've had no problem downloading and watching movies that were AVI files, but two of them were WMV files, and the picture is colored vertical bands and no audio when I try to play them with VLC player (I usually have no trouble with WMV movies). There's also no audio. Is this DRM protection? If so, why are movies being shared that can't be played as is?

I tried using ConvertXtoDVD and that didn't help. Any ideas?

YJeeZy
04-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Try to play it in KMPlayer

Swift
04-23-2009, 08:33 AM
try to install some codecs that support wmv

jasperr
04-23-2009, 11:23 AM
you can try installing the K-Lite codec pack to see if that helps you any.. although VCL player is a standalone and usually doesn't need it.. as i'm sure your aware wmv is the basic windows player format and should play in WMP.. if not then those files may just be corrupt.. but, try the codec pack first before assuming the files are broken..

Scraff
04-24-2009, 12:00 AM
I don't think it's an issue with the player or codecs as they still wouldn't play after ConvertXtoDVD converted the movies to the DVD format.

Is there any software that will remove DRM protection without having permission? I have a feeling that's what the problem must be.

cinephilia
04-24-2009, 01:01 AM
ok, let's put it simple: you tried hard to understand what happen but you still didn't manage to fix the problem.
why not simply downloading again your 2 films in another format ? tell us the titles and we'll help you to find them.

Scraff
04-24-2009, 01:29 AM
ok, let's put it simple: you tried hard to understand what happen but you still didn't manage to fix the problem.
why not simply downloading again your 2 films in another format ?
1. I couldn't find them in another format.

2. If I could learn to fix the problem with help for someone on this message board, I could fix the problem on my own for these and future films that I might have the same problem with.

tell us the titles and we'll help you to find them.
Cool, thanks.

Roller Dollz

Not Bewitched

saulin
04-26-2009, 02:28 AM
Install the latest version WMP since it should handle wmv files. I had issues with some wmv files myself and tried various codecs packs but they didn't include the codecs needed because I believe they are copyrighted so just reinstaling windows media player 11 fixed the issue for me.

zedex
04-26-2009, 06:42 AM
yes there are some legal isuess with wmv codec for mediaplayer , it seems as microsoft is hidding those codec from the net and if you want to download it from microsoft site they will first want to run a check on your windows version wich in my case its not such a good idea .
you can play it on VLC

The_Martinator
04-26-2009, 11:37 AM
I think you got enough help already, I'd just like to point out that wmv is not the best format for movies, but I guess you already foun that out.

KFlint
04-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Moved to the software section, it has nothing to do with bittorrent.

Removed rapidshare links. It is not allowed here, thx.