PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to be a trekkie to enjoy the Star Trek movies?

The_Martinator
04-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Ok, so I've never watched any Star Trek movie before. I've been reading reviews of them and they seem like very good movies. I've decided to download and watch them. I only have 1 problem, I've seen probably 5-10 episodes of Star Trek allthogether. It's not that I don't like it it's just on TV at an hour that doesn't suit me.

Anyway, my question is, do you think I could enjoy the movies anyway?

Arcues
04-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I enjoyed the movies even though I'm not a trekkie ;)

dunno, maybe it's just me

The_Martinator
04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah, but was there anything that you didn't understand or had a hard time understanding?

Btw, the trekkie thing is meant as an exaggeration.

dadelor
04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
I actually just started to watch star trek movies too. and I did notice that some background info was lost like character development since i never watched any of the shows from the series either, but not enough that you wont understand the story.

The_Martinator
04-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I actually just started to watch star trek movies too. and I did notice that some background info was lost like character development since i never watched any of the shows from the series either, but not enough that you wont understand the story.

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know.

dmoney152
05-05-2009, 03:23 AM
I am in the same boat. This new movie looks great and I wish I knew more about the Trek Universe.
Just a little fact, I was recently informed that die hard Trekkies actually prefer to be called TrekkERs

peat moss
05-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Obviously the OP is not a science fiction fan . Martinator , you just have to like a good si-fi book to understand Star Trek .

Example , I'm reading a book called " WE " by Yevgeny Zamyatin published in 1921 . Could swear it's the blue print for the Borg .

Link :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_(novel)

The_Martinator
05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Obviously the OP is not a science fiction fan . Martinator , you just have to like a good si-fi book to understand Star Trek .

Example , I'm reading a book called " WE " by Yevgeny Zamyatin published in 1921 . Could swear it's the blue print for the Borg .

Link :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_(novel)

Well, no I'm not the biggest Sci-Fi fan. I don't have a lot of free time atm, I just thought I'd watch the movies. While watching I keep going to wikipedia to check some stuff out, lol.

And I know I'm not gonna understand everything the first time I watch it.

dadelor
05-11-2009, 11:07 PM
In case people wanted to know i talked to a friend who is into star trek and he told me that the new star trek movie doesn't have anything to do with the old ones. in case anyone wanted to know.

Cabalo
05-12-2009, 12:29 AM
i wouldn't go watch that movie unless i had drunk at least a whole bottle of insert-favourite-brand-of-whiskey-here.

The_Martinator
05-12-2009, 06:33 AM
i wouldn't go watch that movie unless i had drunk at least a whole bottle of insert-favourite-brand-of-whiskey-here.

lol, why is that?

crystalcake
05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
its pretty accessible to the rest of us, never watched one star trek thing before and i lied it =/

Cabalo
05-14-2009, 07:08 PM

lol, why is that?
maybe because when i was really young my parents watched it, or some reruns of the show, and i was really astonished how crappy looked the "special" FX. :ermm:
until today i cannot stand the thought of having to watch a star trek movie :shutup:

The Flying Cow
05-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Good topic, and the answer is a resounding "yes".

There is no way you can stand wierd elfs with wierd behavior and all that wierd shit without somehow already being in it.

Same goes for Star Wars and all the other crap people seem to enjoy.

(These are just my views I can understand if you disagree I'm not attacking you just saying what I think without a sugar-coating).

IdolEyes787
05-14-2009, 10:22 PM
I would answer but I'm still in shock from learning that there are actually people who have never seen Star Trek.

crystalcake
05-16-2009, 11:00 AM
I would answer but I'm still in shock from learning that there are actually people who have never seen Star Trek.

yes because some people prefer good shows :)

captive
05-17-2009, 07:16 AM
no, i took our lass to the cinema to see the new one and she loved it :D

IdolEyes787
05-17-2009, 12:52 PM

yes because some people prefer good shows :)

How would you know if a show was good or bad if you have never even seen it ?:blink:

dadelor
05-17-2009, 04:43 PM
maybe because when i was really young my parents watched it, or some reruns of the show, and i was really astonished how crappy looked the "special" FX. :ermm:
until today i cannot stand the thought of having to watch a star trek movie :shutup:
Ill admit the older ones had very crappy special effects and the acting wasnt very engaging but you should atleast check out this new one. It was HOT!!!!!
and they really made up for the bad special effects in the past believe me.

EhNam
05-18-2009, 02:08 AM
I hate star Trek and the new movie ROCKED!!
go check it out guys very well done.

saulin
05-20-2009, 04:31 AM
Ok, so I've never watched any Star Trek movie before. I've been reading reviews of them and they seem like very good movies. I've decided to download and watch them. I only have 1 problem, I've seen probably 5-10 episodes of Star Trek allthogether. It's not that I don't like it it's just on TV at an hour that doesn't suit me.

Anyway, my question is, do you think I could enjoy the movies anyway?

I think yes, just like you have to be a freak to enjoy Harry Poter Movies or Star Wars movies. Well I just don't see anything special on this franchises. But whenever a new Harry Poter movie comes out or a new Star Wars movie comes out people just go nuts over some movie that really isn't anything special.

I have never enjoyed a Star trek movie tbh. I have not wached any of the newer shows except for some episodes of "The Next generation" and some original Star Trek episodes because back in those days there really wasn't anything good on TV to watch lol.

I hate star Trek and the new movie ROCKED!!
go check it out guys very well done.

I have to say that this new movie does seem like something you could enjoy even if you are not a fan.

The_Martinator
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM

Ugh, I'm 22. And we don't have reruns of it in my country.

IdolEyes787
05-21-2009, 03:38 PM
And you've never seen a Star Trek movie ?

btw It wasn't an attack I was mostly trying to make I joke .Still Star Trek, whether you happen to like it or not, is probably the most culturally significant TV series ever so I am surprised that anyone,anywhere would not have at least a passing knowledge of it.

The_Martinator
05-21-2009, 04:22 PM

btw It wasn't an attack I was mostly trying to make I joke .Still Star Trek, whether you happen to like it or not, is probably the most culturally significant TV series ever so I am surprised that anyone,anywhere would not have at least a passing knowledge of it.

I have not. At least untill I started this thread. Since then, I've watched the first 8.

I live in a country that used to be ruled by comunism. Everything came a few years late, and that which wasn't liked by the people in charge didn't arrive at all. By the 1990s it wasn't cool to show 20+ year old shows. They never did air the newer Star trek shows also.

But I did watch SG-1, lol.

PS: It wasn't taken as an attack. I was just explaining. I can imagine it can be hard for you to comprehend.

GeeGeeGee
05-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Yep.

The Flying Cow
05-30-2009, 11:17 PM

I remember watching it as a kid, but back then since TV was banned at my crib anything was a potential drug.

Anyhow I can't really remember much now, and looking at it (screenshots and that), as well as George Lucas (SW), makes me feel slightly queasy, so I won't watch any of it.

IdolEyes787
05-31-2009, 12:29 AM
I honestly don't see why it has gotten such good reviews.Besides being cliche and the characters nothing but badly drawn caricatures of the originals Star Trek commits the one Cardinal sin for an action picture - it isn't very exciting .

The_Martinator
05-31-2009, 07:01 AM
I honestly don't see why it has gotten such good reviews.Besides being cliche and the characters nothing but badly drawn caricatures of the originals Star Trek commits the one Cardinal sin for an action picture - it isn't very exciting .

Were you watching the same movie as me?! Of course it's not perfect, but you can't say it wasn't exiting...

hardsharing
05-31-2009, 07:37 AM

well jj abrams said that it was a new take on the franchise and that he wasn't even a star trek fan.

from a marketing perspective i could see why paramount went ahead with his vision in the sense that they really needed to "mondernize" star trek itself and move away from the negativity surrounding the franchise and it fanbase.

however there was still that hint of 'old' star trek that i hope we can see fleshed out in the inevitable sequels to follow.

IdolEyes787
05-31-2009, 01:14 PM

Were you watching the same movie as me?! Of course it's not perfect, but you can't say it wasn't exiting...

None of the big action scenes ,with the exception of the prologue ,held any real drama. This was probably due to what I alluded to earlier that none of the characters were fleshed out at all ( with the exception of Scotty or even particularly likable for that matter) and so I couldn't have cared less what happened to them.

Someone forgot to tell Abrams that unless you are 10 years old ( or Michael Bay) things simply blowing up means nothing .Some of the most memorable action scenes ever required little or no FX just relevance to the story and an emotional connection to the characters.

The big sequences in Star Trek - the car chase,the fight on the drill ,the flight from the monster were either poorly done as in the case of the fight although the parachuting was cool or simply tacked on so that it would appear that something was occasionally happening .They didn't progress the story or have any relevance to/ resonate in the characters.

I might have been able to overlook all that but for the sadly inadequate finale No big confrontation between ships .No desperate mano et mano between Captains .Just we're here shoot a couple of secondary characters and we're done.Too easy.After a movie that was all build up to that point it should have been epic .The enterprise and it's crew pushed to the absolute limit of ability and courage ( watch something like Saving Private Ryan is you want to see it done right) .

I agree that the franchise was due for a reboot- the TV series had become far too talky and only really accessible to the true fan .This just didn't cut the mustard( granted still better than the original Star Trek movie.That was all FX too and although people were more dazzled by effects in those days it was a real snoozefest)
I do believe that there was a potential for a good movie with this cast in there somewhere but sadly for me at least it never materialized.

PS. I am beginning to think that J.J. Abrams really sucks.With the exception of Lost (of which his actual contribution to is unclear ) and the initial season of Alias he is mostly a fail.

SonsOfLiberty
05-31-2009, 04:29 PM
I HATE Star Trek, but I went to see the new movie, had nothing better to do and had a little cash, so I seen it, it was good, I actually knew who Spock was, who knew :lol: But anyway I though the movie was a pretty decent flick overall.

Cabalo
06-01-2009, 01:13 AM
i dunno how you can hate star trek when they had these mighty violent scenes back in the early seasons.
just check it out, it's quite worth the click:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM&NR=1

The_Martinator
06-01-2009, 08:42 AM

None of the big action scenes ,with the exception of the prologue ,held any real drama. This was probably due to what I alluded to earlier that none of the characters were fleshed out at all ( with the exception of Scotty or even particularly likable for that matter) and so I couldn't have cared less what happened to them.

Someone forgot to tell Abrams that unless you are 10 years old ( or Michael Bay) things simply blowing up means nothing .Some of the most memorable action scenes ever required little or no FX just relevance to the story and an emotional connection to the characters.

The big sequences in Star Trek - the car chase,the fight on the drill ,the flight from the monster were either poorly done as in the case of the fight although the parachuting was cool or simply tacked on so that it would appear that something was occasionally happening .They didn't progress the story or have any relevance to/ resonate in the characters.

I might have been able to overlook all that but for the sadly inadequate finale No big confrontation between ships .No desperate mano et mano between Captains .Just we're here shoot a couple of secondary characters and we're done.Too easy.After a movie that was all build up to that point it should have been epic .The enterprise and it's crew pushed to the absolute limit of ability and courage ( watch something like Saving Private Ryan is you want to see it done right) .

I agree that the franchise was due for a reboot- the TV series had become far too talky and only really accessible to the true fan .This just didn't cut the mustard( granted still better than the original Star Trek movie.That was all FX too and although people were more dazzled by effects in those days it was a real snoozefest)
I do believe that there was a potential for a good movie with this cast in there somewhere but sadly for me at least it never materialized.

PS. I am beginning to think that J.J. Abrams really sucks.With the exception of Lost (of which his actual contribution to is unclear ) and the initial season of Alias he is mostly a fail.

I would lie if I said you don't have a point. I went to see the movie during my time off from studying, so you could say my brain was that of a 10 year old. The explosions were cool and so was the quick shooting (you have to give credit to that, the 1 shot per minute in the old movies was pretty boring). Honestly, right now the movie is hyped. Wait a few years (and maybe for the sequels) and we'll see how good it really is.

Cabalo, lol. I wish I had been around in the 60s.