PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated PC game (and why??)

1000possibleclaws
04-30-2009, 06:12 AM
What game do you think was most overrated by critics and reviewers? Something you assumed and expected to be awesome but just did not carry out with it?

I made this thread cause I've just tried out the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game, a generally well reviewed game. It got an 8.5 from gamespot, and a 8.2 metascore. I can't stand that game, even after about 6 hours of trying to force myself to enjoy it. The storyline and atmosphere are awesome, but its a first-person shooter, and bottom-line is, the shooting mechanism sucks ass. Shooting is absolutely no fun. The pistol is pretty much useless, the night-vision doesn't help see enemies to the point where it's easier to be guided it pitch black by the crosshair colour changing colour on enemies. Wish the game's shooting worked like a rainbow six game. Nothing is more frustrating than when controlled bursts miss 90% of the time, but spraying your round long-distance somehow gets kills..

Don't know if I'll be able to finish this game..

kaffeine
04-30-2009, 05:25 PM
I would say Crysis. It was such a disappointment. The linearity of the game was what I most disliked about it.

It's not a bad game, but it certainly does not deliver after reading all those amazing reviews everywhere.

SonsOfLiberty
04-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Crysis as well, not because of the insane PC power used to run, well I waited 2 years to play it, downloaded it on my nice new computer and played for a grand total of 4 hours, boy that game sucked.

cinephilia
04-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Quake 3 has been the worst disappointment for me when i used to play.

SonsOfLiberty
04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
I liked Quake 4, for some odd reason I enjoyed the gun play.

saulin
04-30-2009, 10:18 PM
UT and Q3 were my type of games. I played Q3 for 1 whole year just about every day lol. I stopped playing it probably in 2003. Quake 3 1 on 1 deathmatch was and is probably still the best way to test your skills in Quake. After playing Quake 3 I just can't play FPS games on any console. The control just plain sucks on any console for FPS.

I never played Quake 4. It just did not seem that great.

iLOVENZB
05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Counter Strike. I honestly don't know why people rant and rave about this shitty repetitive death match game.

I bought Deus Ex: Island of Liberty and found playing online very similar to this. Also there is an open source game called "AssaultCube" which is like a clone but runs on minimal hardware and is even dialup friendly.

The_Martinator
05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
That's easy: all the NFS games after the one with Porsches.

Just pathetic excuses for racing games. I played the first underground the most and allthough it was good it wasn't nearly as good as the reviews said (except for the graphics).

Cabalo
05-01-2009, 04:13 PM
the NHL franchise, since NHL 2006.
There are literally no additions to this franchise since 2006, besides updated roasters.

EA sucks ass.

killuminati96
05-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Far Cry - great example of what is wrong with the gaming industry..lots of eye candy but poor gaming..bad AI..generic enemies..generic plot..poor multiplayer..did not deserve a sequel..i loved the game for a few days on graphics alone...playing it a while made me put it away to collect dust

Final Fantasy (all of them - seriously..just end it! I hate these games and everything about them.

The Sims (any version) - wtf? get lives people..i never seen the appeal

World of Warcraft - the game made by God himself lmao..stupid game

Spore - wtf? all hype

Counter Strike - It is very overrated and I don't see what all the fuss is about.

iLOVENZB
05-02-2009, 01:06 AM
Runescape?

1000possibleclaws
05-02-2009, 03:04 AM
Runescape?

was that ever rated well to begin with?

iLOVENZB
05-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Runescape?

was that ever rated well to begin with?

Not amongst us, but the hardcore, anti-social users might beg to differ :P

BawA
05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
I would say Crysis. It was such a disappointment. The linearity of the game was what I most disliked about it.
2nd that, worse part was shooting experience, you just wont have the feeling of a normal FPS shooting, they made soo much hype of the gear where it wont mean shit to the person behind the screen. so was the FarCry.
but i really like FarCry 2, the name was so misleading that it made me not to think about it but since i had new GFX i had to try it.

Stalker:CS and Fallout 3 also was over rated as well.

SonsOfLiberty
05-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Fallout 3, I have to disagree, Fallout 3 hasn't stuck me more good then any other game in a very long time, it deserves it praises, right up there with BioShcok.

brento
05-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Crysis! The AI was horrendous!!!!!!

dadelor
05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Id have to say Mass Effect I tried to get into it, I dont even think i got in a full hour on it. I just didnt really get into the story for some reason Its just sitting on my drive collecting fragments.

AndreaSparks
05-04-2009, 11:35 PM
FarCry was dissapointing, had so much hype behind it :(

But I think im more inclined to strategy or mmos anyway

7th
05-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Id have to say Mass Effect I tried to get into it, I dont even think i got in a full hour on it. I just didnt really get into the story for some reason Its just sitting on my drive collecting fragments.

Oh, you should give it a second try man... The first hours of this game is really boring but from the middle to the end, wow :pinch:

Also, I enjoyed crysis and it's expansion pack :P

but totally agree about FarCry2 and even the first one (tried the pc version and couldn't finish it).

Just one last thing: I don't like any gta game :blink: Never finished any of them. Not even wasted more than 4/5 hours of my time with it.

Anyway, I won't dare to say that gta series is bad. I just don't like it and that's why I think it's kind strange to have a topic like this :shutup:

VinX
05-08-2009, 05:45 PM
i m downloading fallout 3 atm .. well i think that u guys confuse me now ..

1000possibleclaws
05-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Oh, you should give it a second try man... The first hours of this game is really boring but from the middle to the end, wow :pinch:

but totally agree about FarCry2 and even the first one (tried the pc version and couldn't finish it).

Just one last thing: I don't like any gta game :blink: Never finished any of them. Not even wasted more than 4/5 hours of my time with it.

Anyway, I won't dare to say that gta series is bad. I just don't like it and that's why I think it's kind strange to have a topic like this :shutup:

Vice City is amazing, you should give it another shot. GTA3 and San Andreas are just meh, and will get boring and overrated unless you really like that kind of game.

brento
05-09-2009, 12:47 AM
crysis! AI was horrible!!

crystalcake
05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
crysis was pretty underrated considering all the hate. its a pretty decent game =/

raid0rr
05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. played it around 40min. after that i deleted it...

kaffeine
05-13-2009, 01:51 PM
crysis was pretty underrated considering all the hate. its a pretty decent game =/
Underrated? It's scored 90+ with excellent reviews everywhere. Like I said before, it's not utter garbage but it's very disappointing imo.

Crysis! The AI was horrendous!!!!!!

crysis! AI was horrible!!
So what didn't you like about Crysis again?

SonsOfLiberty
05-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Vice City is amazing, you should give it another shot. GTA3 and San Andreas are just meh, and will get boring and overrated unless you really like that kind of game.

Vice City sucked, at least that is my humble opinion, GTA SA is the best GTA game of all, screw what teh critics say, they took all the fun stuff that was in SA and threw it away, like parachuting for one thing....GTA IV is ok, but SA is so much better, I wish they would re-make SA on today system's just to see how more amazing it would be..but I've heard the next GTA is actually a SA part II of the story.

But the most over-hyped, talked about, must play, most shwed off game, most delayed game, longest development game, is got to be Too Human, and that game totally just blew hard core chuks of vomit everywhere :lol:

VinX
05-13-2009, 05:45 PM
tbh , i didnt like GTA : SA too .. imo Vice city was way better and way nicer than SA , i m hoping that GTA: IV would be better than SA coz i m downloading the 13 GB torrent now .. what do u think bout GTA IV Guys ?

Cabalo
05-13-2009, 06:18 PM
GTAIV is fucking great, you will love it.
The mapsize is not as huge as SA and it's a very complete game.

SonsOfLiberty
05-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, but if you played SA, you will see what I mean by taking all the fun stuff out of it, you can't buy as many houses, property, it's a fun game don't get me wrong, but SA was so much better.

1000possibleclaws
05-14-2009, 04:39 AM
I got stuck around 40 hours into San Andreas with the plane missions. Fuckin' PC controls are impossible for those missions in all the games, but these seem to be main storyline. If there's a trainer or something that will let me skip it or alter controls I may pick it up again.

Haven't tried IV on PC but played it on a buddies 360. It was meh but then again GTA isn't a 2 person game so it's probably decent. May get to it eventually but I honestly don't see the hype in rockstar games anymore, other than the pretty much perfect soundtracks they have.

SonsOfLiberty
05-14-2009, 03:03 PM
They are only a couple of the plane missions and yes they were a bitch. The other one's you can do for fun at your air field after you buy it and if you complete the mini games you get all kinds of loot and all kinds of planes, they were the best from getting place to place fast, just jump out and open da chute.. You can try Pnnacle Pro and use a gamepad and do it that way or check gamecopyworld for a trainer.

Seriost
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Final Fantasy (all of them - seriously..just end it! I hate these games and everything about them.

FF is not an overrated series. Honestly, dont even go there. I hate people that judges FF, I mean, its awsome for many reasons (and there are nothing worth typing no, at least learn a little background first). But still the creators are trying to f**k us fans up by releasing the X-series and FF 11-13. I mean, GOD!
1-8 Rocks! Well... 8 sucks... kinda.

Still, I'm with you when it comes to The Sims and WoW

tippertime
06-08-2009, 07:02 PM
I say the sims...I loved simcity and simant back in the day, and I gave the sims more then one chance...just could not get into it

saulin
06-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Zelda games and Final Fantasy series... they are very overratred. Reviews get them 9-10, but how many great fucking games are out there and how many of them have actually gotten 9.5-10 in reviews?

Seriost
06-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Zelda games and Final Fantasy series... they are very overratred. Reviews get them 9-10, but how many great fucking games are out there and how many of them have actually gotten 9.5-10 in reviews?

Guys! You're driving me crazy! The "REAL" FF games are not overrated, honestly! You're talking about FF7 and the later ones such as the X-series and 11-14! Ask anybody about the first 6 games and they wont understand crap.

1000possibleclaws
06-08-2009, 08:50 PM
It's a matter of opinion Seriost, don't take it personally. :blink:

brento
06-08-2009, 09:24 PM
For me it has to be Crysis. The AI was just awful.

And I'm going to get butchered for saying this, but Bioshock is another one that I feel is overrated. Sure it's a good game, maybe even a great game, but it cannot touch System Shock or System Shock 2.

n00bz0r
06-09-2009, 01:57 AM
I am not a die hard, passionate gaming freak, but i definitely liked crysis. The AI depends on the level you choose to play.

Seriost
06-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I am not a die hard, passionate gaming freak, but i definitely liked crysis. The AI depends on the level you choose to play.

I think so too. I enjoyed it becouse it was something new. The graphics were stunning and the demo was enough to satisfy you. I dont understand how it was linear... Not at all in my opinion.

brento
06-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Well in my opinion (and I played it on the second hardest) the enemies and the helicopters were really bad. But that's just my opinion and I respect yours.
I do give the game props for not being too linear (as opposed to say, Halo)
lol Now that I think about it I definitely should have picked Halo as the most overrated game.

I think so too. I enjoyed it becouse it was something new. The graphics were stunning and the demo was enough to satisfy you. I dont understand how it was linear... Not at all in my opinion.

I never said that Crysis was linear. As a matter of fact, that's one of the only aspects of Crysis that I liked.

Villalltheway
06-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Vice City sucked, at least that is my humble opinion, GTA SA is the best GTA game of all, screw what teh critics say, they took all the fun stuff that was in SA and threw it away, like parachuting for one thing....GTA IV is ok, but SA is so much better, I wish they would re-make SA on today system's just to see how more amazing it would be..but I've heard the next GTA is actually a SA part II of the story.

But the most over-hyped, talked about, must play, most shwed off game, most delayed game, longest development game, is got to be Too Human, and that game totally just blew hard core chuks of vomit everywhere :lol:

SERIOUSLY I THINK UR CRAZY vice city was awesome probably one of my favourite games of all time. Easiest it was the best out of all of the gta series. Dont get me wrong SA was great but vice city set the standard.

1000possibleclaws
06-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Vice City is perfect. The story, the scenery, the music, the cars. It'll go down as a classic. I couldn't get into SA as much, but the countryside parts were pretty alright. Didn't like the whole black culture aspect much but it was still fun and I liked it better what I've played of GTA IV. GTA IV isn't drawing me in. I got 3 hours in, but nothing's making me want to go back and play it. Well maybe curiosity over the radio stations but that's about it. The story starts off real slow, and the city is so plain and boring.

SonsOfLiberty
06-10-2009, 02:29 PM
How can anyone say Vice City is so much better? It's got worse graphics, the gameplay is so wrong compared to GTASA.

shipwreck
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Scarface references can never suck.

Vice City :wub:

The_Martinator
06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
How can anyone say Vice City is so much better? It's got worse graphics, the gameplay is so wrong compared to GTASA.

You do know that Vice city was released way before SA. That's why the graphics aren't as good, the gameplay is a little weirder, etc.

The story itself was much better in VC. Also the characters, allthough I liked OG Loc in SA. ''I'm gangsta!!''

Oh, IMO Ray Liotta did a great job in VC.

1000possibleclaws
06-10-2009, 07:14 PM
LOL I forgot about OG LoC his missions were so awesome. And he was featured on some radio station which was hilarious. :lol:

Villalltheway
06-11-2009, 12:17 AM
You do know that Vice city was released way before SA. That's why the graphics aren't as good.

Exactly.

Anyway whats wrong with the game play it seems the same as all the other gta's.

Personally i just think the story and the map made the game, also i like the fact u could buy the houses etc and keep ur cars stored in them.

SonsOfLiberty
06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry but in my opinion GTA SA was much better for me, lots more freedom, more free roam, Vegas, jumping out of airplanes, etc...etc...the drving is much better, dunno I liked the story of GTA SA and the way the "models" behaved, dunno, I never could play VC because I played SA first and then went backwards and it fucked me all up. They both scored above 9's at almost every site, but to me SA jsut was more fun.

graywolf
01-23-2010, 05:35 PM
FIFA 2006 onwards.. Its just getting on my nerves expecting something new everytime i get a new one...

Counter Strike - Its like one of the most famous Multiplayer online.. and I don't know why...

Halo - Same as above

half Life (May be opposite to others' thinking) - I literally hate it!

7th
01-25-2010, 06:16 AM
I think I forgot about Fallout III :sick: I even finished the game on 360 but man, that's boring and totally overrated on my opinion

Counter Strike - Its like one of the most famous Multiplayer online.. and I don't know why...

Halo - Same as above

half Life (May be opposite to others' thinking) - I literally hate it!

Yep, CS is crap! :yup:

Halo is great :huh:

HL... WHAT? You hate HL? :blink: gosh, it would be easier to explain that you don't like FPS at all :lol: