PDA

View Full Version : Do schools kill creativity?

100%
04-30-2009, 09:40 AM
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

brotherdoobie
04-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Excellent find, Zed. I thoroughly enjoyed that. The speaker is spot on, imo.

-bd

Alien5
04-30-2009, 11:06 AM
yeah that was interesting, I read something in the paper yesterday about the majority of second born children being more rebellious. im a second born.

here it is: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1174728/How-second-born-boys-really-Prodigal-Sons.html?ITO=1490

baconomist
04-30-2009, 02:00 PM
This video is full of some profound points. I find it very true as applied to my education. I was once very creative and always bored at school. Since then, I've submitted. My family is full of graduate degrees, mainly professors and professionals, and that's where I've wound up now. But there is a part of me that feels undernourished; my creative self I suppose. I'm bored and feel ambivalent towards my studies and work. I don't know if I can change all of that now, but this video reminds me of how I once was and gives me some hope for the future, when I raise my own children. I believe my wife is the same way and will ask her to watch this later to see. We're both very successful, because we're smart enough and submitted to the general order of things, but I believe we both feel like academia, economic realities and familial pressure have hollowed us out.

That website is amazing. I cannot believe I've never seen it before. It's like a worthwhile version of YouTube.

Thanks for the link.

bilkenter
04-30-2009, 02:15 PM
certainly they do, school just keep me at bay, i sit at the back of class, carefree reading another book instead of paying heed to what instructor has to say. Gosh it is so boring getting up early just to show instructor that i am there. Aside from attendance, there is nothing in for me. Schools must be places where you can consult when you need to, as an example, if i am to write a book regarding middle east, then i can go see the instructor and talk to him about resources regarding the issue. Gosh there is no point in being in school for 15 weeks if i can do all assignments within 5 weeks. Gosh i hate school, i wish school was actually the library, i even the shelves of library once. Good old days.... xD

Skweeky
04-30-2009, 05:40 PM
I think it depends on the individual. The classic education system works very well for some people and it is the structure and guidance they need. For other people it lacks individuality.
In Belgium, we have something called Steiner schools. I'm a great believer in them.

Linky:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf_education

Something Else
04-30-2009, 05:56 PM
They have them here too skweeky. I went to one for my entire education.

Proper Bo
04-30-2009, 06:03 PM
and ewe turned out fine, like.

Something Else
04-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Rod off. Bar steward.

Sextent
04-30-2009, 07:28 PM
:lol:

Hippie, went to a Steiner school, constantly hepped up on goof balls.

Where does the ubber harsh come from.

Skweeky
04-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Never knew benchez, never saw one, or heard of one to be honest.

Sextent
04-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Never knew benchez, never saw one, or heard of one to be honest.

We looked at one for No1 daughter but decided to go for traditional education. The way it worked out we could not have been more middle class establishment if we had looked up "Middle class establishment schools, Glasgow" on google and sent her to the top hit.

As I understand it and I could be talking pish here, the only Steiner schools in Scotland are fee paying. If that's true for the rest of the UK ben is increasingly shown to be the worst hippie in the World, evar.

I know you're going home but there is one in Glasgow, mate. http://www.glasgowsteinerschool.org.uk/

Something Else
05-01-2009, 08:46 AM
The fees are adjusted to what you can afford. If your mam is a teacher, it's free. :smilie4:

Skweeky
05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Based on our declarable income, I fear there will be no such thing as a discount for us :ermm:

I think we will send Ben to a traditional kindergarten class and see how he gets on. If he is quite happy there, then there is no reason to take him anywhere else. If he turns out to be the creative type, I would definitely consider it though. Luckily education is free no matter where you go in Belgium.

Mr JP Fugley
05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
The fees are adjusted to what you can afford. If your mam is a teacher, it's free. :smilie4:

I thought your Mam ran a junk shop, was she a teacher before that.

Something Else
05-01-2009, 01:08 PM
She doesn't run a shop. That's me. She used to help me with that. She stopped teaching about 8 years ago, or something else.

Skweeky
05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
What shop do you run? Is it a smart shop?

Something Else
05-01-2009, 02:38 PM
iTS an iShop. :01:

Sextent
05-01-2009, 07:49 PM
She doesn't run a shop. That's me. She used to help me with that. She stopped teaching about 8 years ago, or something else.

Didn't she sell plates or something else, I'm sure you told me that this one thyme.

Skweeky
05-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Number plates. From prison.

Sextent
05-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Nah, I'm sure he said she sold plates, or soft furnishings, something like that.

benchez' mum
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
I started a business selling soft plates. It started ok, but bounced to a standstill.

Sextent
05-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up, Shirley.