PDA

View Full Version : Does Playing Games Hurt Your Eyes

MetroStars
09-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Just had 2 ask this qestion, does playing games hurt your eyes or make u feel sick, cos i get it the worst when i play games like Medal of Honor, Doom and any other first person type shooter game,

does any 1 else get this :lol:

Guillaume
09-23-2003, 03:02 PM
You're not the only one. I've got to stop playing every 1 hour or so or my head bursts! Well, not only playing, anything that has to do with a computer screen...

Turd Ferguson
09-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Only if I play for more than about 3 hours straight.

Although Goldeneye on the N64 made me feel a little bit sick.

MetroStars
09-23-2003, 03:05 PM
I think i only feel sick and stuff with first person shooters cos there is 2 much info happing and my eyes can not take it :lol:

[B][O][T]
09-23-2003, 03:12 PM
I play games for an hour and rest in 5-10 minuts, then play again.

BOT

Benno
09-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Sometimes when I play to long at once. But its not often. :D

Monkeee
09-23-2003, 03:14 PM
i can play counter-strike for 15 hours straight without getting no problems :P B) :P B)

CadeLaguana
09-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Man I must be playing to much.

Truthfuly. I have played counter-strike 11 hours straight without getting up once. That is the gods honest truth. I woke up that day, ate, took a shit, started up counter-strike

11 hours later I looked around the room it was fucking blury. I couldn't see the numbers on the clock clearly.

My ass was sore...eyes were itchy. Man that was one of the most amazing times. 11 hours straight and I am not lying.

Now I only play games for 4 hours straight, tops.

Unless its a good server....with some buds....and I'm owning...

:D

CadeLaguana
09-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Monkeee@23 September 2003 - 16:14
i can play counter-strike for 15 hours straight without getting no problems :P B) :P B)
Haha dude you posted just before me. Same topic too. Counter-strike. Of course you beat me with the 15 hours.

NOTE: I didn't steal that from him, we posting practicly same time. ;)

MetroStars
09-23-2003, 03:23 PM
wow 11 hours, i wish i cud play 4 that long...

I once played Die Hard Vendetta for 3 hours non stop and i was Ill i must have trew up about 6 times from just playing a stupid video game, god dam my sissy eyes

Livy
09-23-2003, 04:01 PM
could it not be due to ur monitor not be set up properly, if its to brite it will give probs i think,

MetroStars
09-23-2003, 04:04 PM
could it not be due to ur monitor not be set up properly, if its to brite it will give probs i think,

It's only console games that do this 2 me, i never get sick of the PC, I get sore eyes but only if i have bin on the PC 4 hours and hours...

but like i say it's console games that do me the most damage :lol:

scr01rkr
09-23-2003, 04:19 PM
u probably have some form or travel sickness i get it a bit from certain fps but not others

Marius24
09-23-2003, 04:34 PM
my comp so crap i can play for 7 hours striaght and only suffer from bordom <_<

headaches, nahhh :P

DarthInsinuate
09-23-2003, 05:32 PM
motion sickness affects alot of people - as far as I know there isn&#39;t a cure

you could also get sore eyes/headaches if your refresh rate is not high enough

Busyman
09-23-2003, 05:42 PM
When staring at a computer monitor for long periods of time you must take time to look away (maybe down the hal or something). Too much light, too close, for long periods of time is a surefire way too ruin your eyes.

fr600
09-23-2003, 07:07 PM
Playing games for longer times never hurts me...

Jay
09-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@23 September 2003 - 18:42
When staring at a computer monitor for long periods of time you must take time to look away (maybe down the hal or something). Too much light, too close, for long periods of time is a surefire way too ruin your eyes.
that&#39;s the best possible way to protect your eyes

makish
09-27-2003, 06:53 AM
when i first played swg i played for 12 hours straight but the worse was when i was 15 i played a game called firo pro wrestling for saturn with my bro and friends for 23 hours straight after that nothing compares

Rappy
09-27-2003, 06:58 AM
I donno about u but i played playstation for like 5 hours straight, my hands hurt but thats all

BawA
09-27-2003, 09:02 AM
well i play untill i finish 1 level then i come to board then when there is nothing new on board i go back for another level :w00t:

Mavol
09-28-2003, 06:16 PM
increase your refresh rate and you wont feel that bad. mine&#39;s set 85Hertz. only prob is your crt monitor will get broken more quickly. you could just get a flat screen if you dont have one already, it doesnt tire youre eyes at all

Celerystalksme
09-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Yeah my eyes are screwed anyways...so i can&#39;t play games for long periods of time...but i try my best :D

Mr. Mulder
09-28-2003, 06:42 PM
Never hurts my eyes, just the occasional headache...

SniperInTheShadows
09-28-2003, 08:24 PM
My eye&#39;s burn and go blurry after an hour or two at the PC these day&#39;s, so I tend not to sit here for too long at once (although yesterday all I did practically was sit here playing Halo for the better part of the day, my eye&#39;s were bloodshot by the time I went bed lol), but I don&#39;t get motion sickness whilst playing games very often thankfully as I love racing game&#39;s like the Wipeout series and Ridge Racer series :-)

On the topic of longest playing session, my longest was 32hr&#39;s , it was when I first played Final Fantasy 7 on the PS1, I played from start to finish (I did get up to grab the occasional cup of coffee, smoke and a bag of crisp&#39;s now and then though), by the time I went bed all I could think of was the game and materia and different way&#39;s of combining lol :-)

Sniper.

Stonecoldfreak1
09-28-2003, 09:11 PM
half life for DC gives me a headache like after 5 min so i stopped playing it

and soldier of fortune 2 for xbox gives me a headache easily but i still plauy

BiLLy_BloggZ
09-28-2003, 09:37 PM
the only game thats ever made me feel sick was worms 2

Twist3r
09-28-2003, 09:55 PM
metro you should try the computer glasses

specail glasses for looking a a computer screen all day long my dad has them for work

but i have never had a problem with getting sick or dizzy even for playing for long periods at a time like 4 hours :D

miffo
10-14-2003, 02:15 PM
a refresh rate lower than 72 Hz will definetly give you a headache :wacko:
just look at something next to the monitor if it&#39;s like 50 Hz you can see the
monitor blinking or flashing which causes the headache

I&#39;ve realised that I don&#39;t blink my eyes as often when I&#39;m in front of the comp

WW-X-
10-15-2003, 02:06 PM
I think the main part of my eyes hurting is from sitting at this screen to many hours with the brightness all the way up :blink: .

I have gotten dissy, from a couple of games. I dont remmeber which ones, but have gotten the feeling of feeling like your light headed, and was gonna pass out.
I actually couldnt play the game again, cause everytime i tried, i would feel like i was drunk and and sleepy.

Scared the hell out of me, so i just uninstalled the game and threw it away.
I havent gotten that feeling for a while, and I&#39;m happy about that.

Only word of advise from me to you, is if you get this feeling, and you quit for a while and come back and try again, and still have it.
Just dont push on, thinking aww it&#39;ll go away, cause i tried and it wont.
Certain light flare, etc can effect your brain, like it has never before.
That why you see those health warnings on some games: Some lighting in the game may cause empelepsy.
Empelepsy runs in my family, my mother had it. So i know.

XtAsY
10-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@23 September 2003 - 17:42
that use to happen to me when i started playing games for long periods of time... but not anymore, cuz at most now i play 2 hours straight or maybe less

NewBie40
10-16-2003, 12:27 PM
The most common problem of playing games is that u dont blink with your eyes enough (studies have been made) and your monitor has a bad quality. If u like playing then u have to invest in a good monitor (flatscreen 85 Mhz) and remember to blink your eyes.

DWk
10-16-2003, 12:38 PM
lol...... k so what you do in lan parties? of course, if u have gone to these.... i go to these like once a month...we play from like 4pm to 6am or something..... yea with breaks cuz we know its 2 MUCH to play for that much in front of the screen...besides its a wise choice since we dont wanna mess up our pwetty pwetty eyes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

:P :P :D :D :lol: :lol: B) :o ;) ;) ;)

DWk

miffo
10-16-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by NewBie40@16 October 2003 - 12:27
The most common problem of playing games is that u dont blink with your eyes enough (studies have been made) and your monitor has a bad quality. If u like playing then u have to invest in a good monitor (flatscreen 85 Mhz) and remember to blink your eyes.
I also read that somewhere
edit: found some stuff http://www.webhealthcentre.com/general/ec_vision.asp

and
"Accommodative problems may occur as a result of the eyes&#39; focusing system "locking in" to a particular target and viewing distance. In some cases, this may cause the eyes to be unable to smoothly and easily focus on a particular object, even long after the original work is completed.
Eye irritation may occur because of poor tearflow over the eye due to reduced blinking. Blinking is often inhibited by concentration and staring at a computer or video screen. Compounding this, computers usually are located higher in the field of view than traditional paperowk. This results in the upper eyelids being retracted to a greater extent. Therefore, the eye tends to experience more than the normal amount of of tear evaporation resulint in dryness and irritation."

and as usual -cheap shit&#39;ll hurt u in the end of the day :lol: :lol:

Wolfmight
10-16-2003, 01:29 PM
Well i&#39;ve played online RPGs for an entire day.. i woke up.. got 2 bottles of water (so i dont have to get a refill.. lol) then i sat on my ass and played constantly.. ehh a few occassional bathroom trips, but still thats allmost like 15-20 hours strait gameing..
I actually only did this a few time, cause when i went to bed.. i was like in a "smoked too much weed" state or something. Really weird.

miffo
10-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@16 October 2003 - 13:29
I actually only did this a few time, cause when i went to bed.. i was like in a "smoked too much weed" state or something. Really weird.
yupp I know that one

usually my brain wont stop playing the game until the next day or so
when walkin around in the house I allways peer around the corners for enemies (if it&#39;s an fsp i&#39;ve played for hours)
man does that feel dumb when u realize what you&#39;re doin

ashutosh_cool16
10-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Yeah.. it definately does... Also.. after u get up playing lot of hours, u constantly feel that you are doing the things which you were doing in the game... for eg. riding a bike, etc etc

evilmonkeyshaman
10-19-2003, 02:00 PM
As you can see this is a really common problem. IT does help to just take 10 or 15 mins every couple of hours or just look away from the screen when you die or there is some other pause in gameplay

p.s. i once played perfect darks on N64 for 17 hours straight with my mates and it was at a sleepover so the room was completely dark other than the telly, none of us could see anything for about a day after that and i thought my head was going to explode