PDA

View Full Version : remote browsing .torrent downloads and seedboxes

djc
05-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi All

Apologies if this is not the correct forum, for some reason i cant create a thread in the seedbox subforum :huh:

Im looking to get myself a dedicated server (most likely from server.lu) which i will then use primarily as a seedbox.

The other thing i was thinking of using the server for was to connect to it and browse from it (as a way to defeat a work proxy which doesnt like private torrent sites) so I would use something like VNC from work to connect and then say launch firefox, browse d/l .torrent file and then add it to my torrent client.

Now my questions
1. I have been told that remote browsing such as this is very slow on underpowered servers, would something like the DS2000 from server.lu be powerful enough?
2. Should i choose a desktop distro for the server if i plan to browse from it?
Answered when i read the seedbox set up guide. Choose say Ubuntu server then in step 3 you install xterm/firefox/fluxbox etc
3. Will this work or is it a remarkably silly idea?
4. Does anyone else here use a similiar set up?

lysine
05-01-2009, 08:03 AM
you don't have to do all of that.

just use putty to connect to your seedbox.

putty > ssh > tunnels

source port: 19000 (example)
check the boxes: dynamic and auto

connect to your server and login as usual with putty. set firefox to use a socks 5 proxy located at localhost, port 19000 on your local pc. in about:config set network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to true.

all browser traffic is tunneled through your seedbox.