PDA

View Full Version : Problem with copying video files on vista

feygan
05-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I used to keep a large number of various video files (mostly recorded tv shows and such) on discs as files rather than full dvds. Recently I got myself a 1tb drive and sorted media center so it can play everything, all this with the intention of moving all my old stuff onto a drive for nice easy access with media center and a remote.

However whenever I try to copy the files back to my pc it either doesn't work or takes forever, literally one 4.7gb dvd with 11 350mb files took over 8 hours once and it still wasn't more than halfway done.

I've done some checking and apparently it's due to the way vista deals with networked/external drives and large files (thanks bill real helpful feature). But i can't find anythign anywhere about how to actual either disable this feature or just let me do what i want. So does anyone know how i can go about getting this to work properly.

I'm running vista 64 sp1, with the media center tv pack that was put out along with just about everything else i could find to try and no joy.

clocker
05-03-2009, 01:20 AM
So let's get this straight....
You have various files on DVD that you are trying to transfer to a new internal drive?

feygan
05-03-2009, 01:26 AM
YEs, however withing a short time (2 mins tops normally) the drives goes inactive whilst the trasfer window gives me something rediculous like say "time to transfer 23 hours" for a 2 gig file.

clocker
05-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Have you installed Vista SP1?
Disable indexing also...some folks say that helps a lot.

dadelor
05-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Is this a networked drive or an external firewire/usb drive? maybe you should do a check disk on your drive to make sure their are no errors. that sounds really weird and what kind of internal hdd drive are you workin with is it Sata?

feygan
05-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Its just a standard 5.1" dvd drive and transfering to a western digital sata 3.5 internal drive.