PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Sucks!

Busyman
09-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Watch a whole game of soccer and the ending score might be 0 to 1.
What a shit game.
What highlights are there?
Hey look as he scores this one goal and uhhhh....sorry folks no more highlights.
Shrink the field or something. Put some points up. Speed the game up. Do something because I try to like all sports but DAMN.

chinook_apache
09-23-2003, 04:47 PM
its football in england not known as soccer

masta.z
09-23-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by chinook_apache@23 September 2003 - 17:47
its football in england not known as soccer
it should be football everywhere as that's what it's known as in every country cept america (stupid colonials :rolleyes: )

oh and busyman, football is an amazing game full of lots of skill & if you watch one of the good teams (any1 other than Man U or celtic :P ) then you would see how great a game football is

MetroStars
09-23-2003, 04:54 PM
WOT

The Ultimate sin hating soccer / Football

Anyhow wots your fav sport then Busyman

chalice
09-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Football only sucks when West Ham are losing.
Which is quite often.

masta.z
09-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by chalice@23 September 2003 - 17:54
Football only sucks when West Ham are losing.
Which is quite often.
shouldn't that be all the time :P :P :P

chinook_apache
09-23-2003, 04:55 PM
the money you get to play for the top clubs is stupid. you looking at 100k a week could feed about 2 3rd world countries with the whole year pay of man united players

masta.z
09-23-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by chinook_apache@23 September 2003 - 17:55
the money you get to play for the top clubs is stupid. you looking at 100k a week could feed about 2 3rd world countries with the whole year pay of man united players
true, what's worse is some of the italian clubs pay even more and basketball players get shed loads more than that if their any good :angry:

really they should send all the money to me :D

Barbarossa
09-23-2003, 04:57 PM
Any prat in a helmet and a mountain of padding can control a ball with their hands.. That's not "football"..

FOOTBALL (as it should be called) is a very skillful game, played with the feet (and head), and I've seen some really exciting nil-nil draws, the skill-level and tactics are way beyond other sports. Also, since there are relatively few goals, that makes them even more special. I mean.. how boring is basketball for example... :unsure:

chinook_apache
09-23-2003, 04:59 PM
basketball is a fast paced game a bit like football. i still dont agree with the money both sports players get. i could do with a couple of grand! :P :D

MetroStars
09-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Every 1 has their own opnions so if u hate football then u hate football, but i think there is nuthing better than a game of football, i like the english game, but of course my team is MetroStars so i follow them Religiously, but it gets a bit hard when u live like 8 million miles away from New York and english TV does not have ESPN..

chinook_apache
09-23-2003, 05:03 PM
i can pick up espn on my satellite dish i have them motorized ones

Busyman
09-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Basketball
the fastest growing sport in world

I know soccer is the most popular sport in the world

With basketball there's is a highlight on almost every trip down the court. When you like a sport like that it's almost impossible to be patient enough for soccer.

I'll also admit that American Football which is my second favorite sport is horribly named. But don't ever say they are not as tough because they wear padding. One directive in football is too tackle, tough guys. In soccer they run around kicking a ball, albeit it skillfully, and one might get kicked in the teeth.

masta.z
09-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@23 September 2003 - 18:03
Basketball
the fastest growing sport in world

I know soccer in the most popular sport in the world

With basketball there's is a highlight on almost every trip down the court. When you like a sport like that it's almost impossible to be patient enough for soccer.
i guess you ain't got the patience for golf either then? :P

Busyman
09-23-2003, 05:10 PM
uhhh no. I might tune in when Tiger plays but even then I don't stay with it.
Basketball still tops them all

masta.z
09-23-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@23 September 2003 - 18:10
uhhh no. I might tune in when Tiger plays but even then I don't stay with it.
Basketball still tops them all
typical american....

Busyman
09-23-2003, 05:17 PM
How am I a typical American when I don't like golf or baseball.
Shut up mastaoflickingballsatoz

masta.z
09-23-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@23 September 2003 - 18:17
How am I a typical American when I don't like golf or baseball.
the tiger reference, most americans only ever watch golf for tiger sh!ttin woods ya stupid ignoramus (sp)

Masta.z!

nikita69
09-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Soccer Sucks!, yea I said it
Yes, Soccer Sucks. "Only in the USA", change it back to FOOTBALL. Foot Ball, unlike ur Hand Ball is called Football! :blink: :blink:

Busyman
09-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by masta.z+23 September 2003 - 17:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (masta.z @ 23 September 2003 - 17:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@23 September 2003 - 18:17
How am I a typical American when I don&#39;t like golf or baseball.
the tiger reference, most americans only ever watch golf for tiger sh&#33;ttin woods ya stupid ignoramus (sp)

Masta.z&#33; [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s because Tiger Woods is good.
If a great soccer player started scoring 15 points a game I&#39;d watch that too
get it mastaoflickingballsatoz

Proper Bo
09-23-2003, 06:40 PM
busyman, you sir, are an ignorant tit

DanB
09-23-2003, 06:48 PM
hear hear. American football is a version of rugby for wimps&#33; :D

Busyman
09-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Bring a rugby player over with pads and all and he&#39;d get smashed to pieces. American Football is too fast, the players too big, and we hit hard.
What the hell is that huddle shit in rugby anyway.
And how the hell are A Football players wimps. Because they wear pads?
They ain&#39;t maxi pads

Busyman
09-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee@23 September 2003 - 18:40
an ignorant tit, uhhh thanks, I&#39;m from America and if that&#39;s an insult I&#39;m glad to be a tit than a dick
Oh Proper Hoe you must come harder than that.

I did (in your mom) :lol: :D :lol: :lol:

just joshin&#39; ;)

masta.z
09-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Busyman+23 September 2003 - 22:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 23 September 2003 - 22:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Proper Bo@ I tell thee,23 September 2003 - 18:40
an ignorant tit, uhhh thanks, I&#39;m from America and if that&#39;s an insult I&#39;m glad to be a tit than a dick

just joshin&#39; ;) [/b][/quote]
you sire, are what we like to call an uninformed ignoramus, there are many golfers as good, and better than Tiger Woods as it&#39;s takes more than being able to hit the ball over 300yds to be good at golf,
secondly, american "football" (which they use their hands in :huh: ) ARE wimps, they wear tons of padding, and run as fast as they can cos their scared of gettin tackled :P
and lastly, in real football they score goals, not points :P

hobbes
09-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by danb@23 September 2003 - 19:48
American football without pads and helmets wouldn&#39;t last long. These men are 250 lbs moving at sprinters speed.
Imagine running at full speed across an open field, another player is running right at you full out, usually about 30 pounds heavier. The ball is coming at the midpoint. Your job is to put that guy out of your head and catch the ball. His job is to plant, leap and level you. Those guys are men.
It is the speed which separates the 2 sports. To compare the two as equal in regard to contact is naive.

As for the game itself, football is very complex and unless you have some backround knowledge of this, you will not appreciate it as the camera focuses upon the ball, and does not show you how the play was set up. How come that receiver is wide open?

As for soccer, the score is misleading in regard to the action. I watched the American women&#39;s team win the gold and really enjoyed the artistry. I think it was more apparent there because they were so dominate.
The wide view (as opposed to football) allows you to see the players attempt a certain spacing, cycling the ball to get people in postion to trigger a play. When the play is set, the execution is pinpoint and the window of opportunity small. I love the lob to the center with the breaking offense player having that fraction of a step lead. Goalie too far away to snatch up the ball.

Anyway, the value of a sport is determined by what you grow up watching and what you play. I like them all.

TheDave
09-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by hobbes+23 September 2003 - 21:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes &#064; 23 September 2003 - 21:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-danb@23 September 2003 - 19:48
American football without pads and helmets wouldn&#39;t last long. These men are 250 lbs moving at sprinters speed.
Imagine running at full speed across an open field, another player is running right at you full out, usually about 30 pounds heavier. The ball is coming at the midpoint. Your job is to put that guy out of your head and catch the ball. His job is to plant, leap and level you. Those guys are men.
It is the speed which separates the 2 sports. To compare the two as equal in regard to contact is naive.
[/b][/quote]
so its rugby for wimps then :blink:

4play
09-23-2003, 09:54 PM
s for soccer, the score is misleading in regard to the action. I watched the American women&#39;s team win the gold and really enjoyed the artistry. I think it was more apparent there because they were so dominate.
The wide view (as opposed to football) allows you to see the players attempt a certain spacing, cycling the ball to get people in postion to trigger a play. When the play is set, the execution is pinpoint and the window of opportunity small. I love the lob to the center with the breaking offense player having that fraction of a step lead. Goalie too far away to snatch up the ball.

lol that is very odd terminolgy but i get ya.

football is more action then the score lines give credit. the ball should never be out of play for more then a few seconds unlike american football where there is lots of waiting and stopping in between plays. this is meant to give more time to show you more adverts. that is why all your sports have quaters as well so more adverts can be shown.

during the world cup in america they wanted the game to have 4 quaters as well but Fifa told them to take a running leap.

basketball is a odd game which i could not play to save my life so i don&#39;t enjoy watching it ether but i can understand why people like it. the 4 quaters and all them time outs would annoy the hell out of me still.

still soccer is the most popular sport in the world for a reason and just because the americans dont like it does not make it suck.

hobbes
09-23-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by TheDave+23 September 2003 - 22:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheDave &#064; 23 September 2003 - 22:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by hobbes@23 September 2003 - 21:36
<!--QuoteBegin-danb@23 September 2003 - 19:48

so its rugby for wimps then :blink:[/b][/quote]
No, in rubgy the injuries are different, not related to velocity. I hope the players wear a cup because there is a lot of kicking, biting, gnawing, punching and gouging going on.

At my college, a freshman was at the bottom of the scrum, pinned by the weight of the other players. Since he could not move, a senior pulled out his wanker and urinated on him.

I think rugby player were dropped on their heads once too many times when they were kids. Football players, at least have the sense to wear protection.

Next thing you know, baseball players will be called wimps for wearing gloves and batting helmets. Or are they just smart?

hobbes
09-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by 4play@23 September 2003 - 22:54

s for soccer, the score is misleading in regard to the action. I watched the American women&#39;s team win the gold and really enjoyed the artistry. I think it was more apparent there because they were so dominate.

lol that is very odd terminolgy but i get ya.

football is more action then the score lines give credit. the ball should never be out of play for more then a few seconds unlike american football where there is lots of waiting and stopping in between plays. this is meant to give more time to show you more adverts. that is why all your sports have quaters as well so more adverts can be shown.

during the world cup in america they wanted the game to have 4 quaters as well but Fifa told them to take a running leap.

basketball is a odd game which i could not play to save my life so i don&#39;t enjoy watching it ether but i can understand why people like it. the 4 quaters and all them time outs would annoy the hell out of me still.

still soccer is the most popular sport in the world for a reason and just because the americans dont like it does not make it suck.
I was making up the terminology as I went. :lol:

TheDave
09-23-2003, 10:02 PM
:lol: we dont slow down to tackle each other :lol:

4play
09-23-2003, 10:08 PM
rugby and american football are 2 very differnet sports.

remember jona lumu was unstopable at one point. well he is about the size of an american football player.

then again pads are for girlies they generally just use them to hurt each other more, without them they would probably be better off. stuff like ramming with the head would stop because you would get hurt more then the other fella.

still rugby player are allowed to face off which means basicly thrusting your open palm into an oncomig players face. and the only time these people ever stop is when something breaks or there is enough blood to paint your house with, how mad are they.

TheDave
09-23-2003, 10:13 PM
:&#39;( i miss playing rugby at school :&#39;(

Biggles
09-23-2003, 10:19 PM
With players like Lomu at 280lbs and able to run 100 yards in 10.8 I don&#39;t think Rugby is short of giants and speed. The reason there is no body armour is that the object of the game is different. You cannot pass forward of your position. Consequently, the other team are chasing the ball not men.

Having said that many were definitely dropped on their heads too often as babies and there have been serious injuries and deaths on Rugby Fields. Great Game though.

Anybody ever played Shinty? - now there is a game for the suicidal. :blink: I mean men&#33; We were trooped out as kids at school to play it - sadistic lot PE teachers.

Oh Yeah football, is great too. Although my team invariable just misses relegation.

Haven&#39;t really seen much US sport - the little I have as soon as I start to get interested everything stops for an advert break. I assume in real life the games flow much better.

masta.z
09-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@23 September 2003 - 23:19
Oh Yeah football, is great too. Although my team invariable just misses relegation.

Haven&#39;t really seen much US sport - the little I have as soon as I start to get interested everything stops for an advert break. I assume in real life the games flow much better.
you assume wrong unfortunately, everytime there&#39;s adverts there&#39;s a pause in the game aswell.... also which team ya support?? :)

hobbes
09-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by 4play@23 September 2003 - 23:08

stuff like ramming with the head would stop because you would get hurt more then the other fella.

still rugby player are allowed to face off which means basicly thrusting your open palm into an oncomig players face. and the only time these people ever stop is when something breaks or there is enough blood to paint your house with, how mad are they.
Leading with your head is illegal in football, as is helmet to helmet contact.

I would imagine a hand to the face is about intimidation and pain, but no one ever died of a broken nose.

All kidding aside, without pads, and maintaining the same level of intensity, people would be dying weekly in American football. Maybe you could get 2 games a season before running out of players.

As I fan I enjoy those really hard hits, the one you can hear as well as see. But also, we don&#39;t want people to really get injured, so it is nice to see the other player able to get up and continue playing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2001/playoffs/news/2001/01/14/raiders_out_ap/t1_out_ap-01.jpg

Rich Gannon enjoys a little grass between plays. While unconcious.

Biggles
09-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Aberdeen. It is hard to believe looking at them now that they beat Real Madrid to win the Cup Winners Cup in the 80s. Don&#39;t know how Alex Fergusson did it - I think players were just too scared to go back into the dressing room if they lost.

Come to think of it not much has changed on that front :D

TheDave
09-23-2003, 10:28 PM
some dude died at our school, they broke thier neck in a scrum

hobbes
09-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by TheDave@23 September 2003 - 23:28
Can I suggest a helmet?

TheDave
09-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by hobbes+23 September 2003 - 22:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 23 September 2003 - 22:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheDave@23 September 2003 - 23:28
Can I suggest a helmet? [/b][/quote]
probably a bit late now, it happened about 10 years ago.

4play
09-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Rich Gannon enjoys a little grass between plays. While unconcious.
wusss

now ice hockey is fun for the whole family. but you cant watch it on the telly its like looking for the invisible puck. :blink:

TheDave
09-23-2003, 10:35 PM
theres a puck? i thought they just go in circles and fight

Busyman
09-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by masta.z+23 September 2003 - 21:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (masta.z @ 23 September 2003 - 21:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Busyman@23 September 2003 - 22:17
<!--QuoteBegin-Proper Bo@ I tell thee,23 September 2003 - 18:40

just joshin&#39; ;)
you sire, are what we like to call an uninformed ignoramus, there are many golfers as good, and better than Tiger Woods as it&#39;s takes more than being able to hit the ball over 300yds to be good at golf,
secondly, american "football" (which they use their hands in :huh: ) ARE wimps, they wear tons of padding, and run as fast as they can cos their scared of gettin tackled :P
and lastly, in real football they score goals, not points :P [/b][/quote]
There are golfers better than Tiger but he had one of the best runs in golf history.
He smashed at the Masters by I think 18 strokes and single handedly woke folks up to golf that paid it no mind (like myself).

And yes dipshit in football they are &#39;scared&#39; of being tackled. The purpose is to NOT be tackled or injured. That&#39;s like telling a boxer to NOT duck.

Points, goals, big fucking deal.
In basketball every shot made from the field is a field goal but there also foul shots.
It&#39;s all points in my book. 1 to 0

You are now the mastaoflickingballsatoz ignoramus
Go play cricket, rugby, and football or maybe not mastageekonthecomputer

By the way does anyone from America (old enough) remember LT tackling Joe Theisman and breaking his leg. That shit bent backwards :(

Busyman
09-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by TheDave@23 September 2003 - 22:35
theres a puck? i thought they just go in circles and fight
In the US they highlight the puck on TV

Johnny_B
09-23-2003, 11:28 PM
If soccer sucks, explain me this:

While Pele was playing for Santos in the late 1960&#39;s, his team went to Nigeria to play a few friendly matches. The ongoing civil war in the country stopped just to see him play, and it continued again after his visit.

Care to mention another sport capable of this?

Busyman
09-24-2003, 01:07 AM
As I said, a great player can change it all:

Tiger Woods in golf- Most black folks couldn&#39;t give 2 shit about golf. But when a black man (or a black looking man) started whipping ass guess who started watching. And not just blacks but people in general who oblivious to golf.

Michael Jordan in basketball- All countries know about Michael Jordan. I hated basketball when I was younger until I saw him. Now I play basketball at least 3 times a week.

I&#39;ve seen footage of Pele and he was amazing but......after seeing that I&#39;ve also watched some soccer games and was bored to tears. <_<

I am a typical American in that I like scoring. Pele scored. I don&#39;t want to watch an arm wrestle for 30 minutes before someone gets put down. It wasn&#39;t your sport that stop the civil war; it was a great player playing your sport.

hobbes
09-24-2003, 03:29 AM
I saw LT break Theisman&#39;s leg on TV as it happened, I was reminded of Sesame Street oddly enough.

You know, "which one of these things doesn&#39;t belong?" Answer: A leg bent in that direction.

Interesting note:

Growing up his name was prounced "Thees-man", he changed the pronunciation to rhyme with Heisman (trophy) in college. Playing a little game of psychology.

junkyardking
09-24-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by hobbes+23 September 2003 - 21:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 23 September 2003 - 21:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-danb@23 September 2003 - 19:48

. [/b][/quote]
Would&#39;nt last long?

Then i recommend you watch Australian rules football
One or two might have head padding but thats about it besides the mouth guards.

http://droppunt.com/images/tarrant.jpg

Billy_Dean
09-24-2003, 10:59 AM
I think Busyman is just having you lot on ...

And yes dipshit in football they are &#39;scared&#39; of being tackled. The purpose is to NOT be tackled or injured. That&#39;s like telling a boxer to NOT duck.

Points, goals, big fucking deal.
In basketball every shot made from the field is a field goal but there also foul shots.
It&#39;s all points in my book. 1 to 0

You are now the mastaoflickingballsatoz ignoramus
Go play cricket, rugby, and football or maybe not mastageekonthecomputer

.... surely no-one is this ignorant?

:)

EDIT: PS. I remember a few years back, Queensland and New South Wales played a State or Origin game in the States somewhere, more than 60,000 people watched. After the match they interviewed Americans coming out of the ground, and asked them what they thought of the game. The overwhelming response was disbelief at the pace of the game, and the fact that the action was non-stop. Most people commented on the lack of padding. The best remark, however, came from a guy who said it made Gridiron look like a John Denver concert&#33;

BTW, the game was Rugby League, Queensland and New South Wales are states of Australia. (Yes, we have them too&#33;)

blade1356uk
09-24-2003, 11:12 AM
what do the yanks know about Football,oh let me think the only country that can have a world series with no other country&#39;s.the idea of guy&#39;s wearing all the padding in a game traditionaly called Rugby, Baseball,Called Rounders.Do not say anything about our national sport when you know nothing about it.up the Blades

Busyman
09-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Hey HillBillie_Jean and gayblade1234puk I said soccer sucks and I do know about the sport. I played it in school and just I like PLAYING baseball. However they both suck as entertainment. Yes you must have endurance but don&#39;t give me that shit about padding. "The guys are too big, the game is too fast, and the hits are much harder". And gayblade shut the fuck up about this "yank" shit. I didn&#39;t go insulting your highfilutin&#39; brit ass or your country. I insulted soccer which ain&#39;t just your sport. I also insulted baseball which was an American invention.

Maybe we don&#39;t like certain sports because we are so far away so we invented our own and further insolated ourselves from the rest of the world. I&#39;d say for the most part it worked. I believe we are the greatest country to live in (of course with many flaws). (not to get all nationalistic)

Hellie
09-24-2003, 12:45 PM
I believe we are the greatest country to live in (of course with many flaws). (not to get all nationalistic)
F**k off nationalist always the same with you usa people. Certainly not the greatest but the most aggrassive country (bit of topic now so i put mu favorite teamflag :P )

http://www.wehkamp.nl/images/artikelen/3/0/306472.jpg

blade1356uk
09-24-2003, 12:47 PM
hey mate don&#39;t get disrespectful sunshine I was not offending the usa by calling you a yank & using bad language is the lowest form of wit,I have friends from the usa who are all good mates ,calling our national sport by saying it sucks is offensive, so grow up & stop swearing,you started the soccer sucks forum,so in future if you do not want any feedback ,& WE INVENTED FOOTBALL MATE & RUGBY & you offended my Country with your remarks( Britass)I would learn to keep it shut.S.U.F.C & well said H

Billy_Dean
09-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@24 September 2003 - 21:02
Hey HillBillie_Jean and gayblade1234puk I said soccer sucks and I do know about the sport. I played it in school and just I like PLAYING baseball. However they both suck as entertainment. Yes you must have endurance but don&#39;t give me that shit about padding. "The guys are too big, the game is too fast, and the hits are much harder". And gayblade shut the fuck up about this "yank" shit. I didn&#39;t go insulting your highfilutin&#39; brit ass or your country. I insulted soccer which ain&#39;t just your sport. I also insulted baseball which was an American invention.

Maybe we don&#39;t like certain sports because we are so far away so we invented our own and further insolated ourselves from the rest of the world. I&#39;d say for the most part it worked. I believe we are the greatest country to live in (of course with many flaws). (not to get all nationalistic)
Billy Dean.

OK, so I was wrong ...&#33;

blade1356uk
09-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean+24 September 2003 - 13:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean @ 24 September 2003 - 13:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@24 September 2003 - 21:02

Billy Dean.

OK, so I was wrong ...&#33;

:) [/b][/quote]
maybe BD but inventing something is something that is new ,not taking it from another sport & changing it around.

clocker
09-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Johnny_B@23 September 2003 - 16:28
If soccer sucks, explain me this:

While Pele was playing for Santos in the late 1960&#39;s, his team went to Nigeria to play a few friendly matches. The ongoing civil war in the country stopped just to see him play, and it continued again after his visit.

Care to mention another sport capable of this?
The Miss Universe Wet T-Shirt Competetion?
http://www.lavela.com/images/contests_wettshirt.jpg

Hellie
09-24-2003, 01:39 PM
The Miss Universe Wet T-Shirt Competetion?
http://www.lavela.com/images/contests_wettshirt.jpg
Yeah this will stop any war, they should have tried this with Bin and Sadam. They would have loved it. :P

blade1356uk
09-24-2003, 02:08 PM
WELL SAID MATE

AussieSheila
09-24-2003, 02:23 PM
:P Okay&#33; I tried to post a picture and couldn&#39;t bloody do it&#33; Help Hillbilly_Dean&#33; lol.

Anyway, Aussie Rules rulz, although Soccer is NEARLY as skillful&#33;

:unsure: Arrrrrrrrrrrr&#33; Don&#39; hit me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

puk:))
09-24-2003, 03:29 PM
its football people, football&#33;

:D :D

AussieSheila
09-24-2003, 04:12 PM
@puk And your point is?

:rolleyes:

masta.z
09-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@24 September 2003 - 00:02
By the way does anyone from America (old enough) remember LT tackling Joe Theisman and breaking his leg. That shit bent backwards :(
if your looking for injuries u try looking for information on henrik larson breaking his leg *shudders* that was just sick

Busyman
09-24-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Hellie@24 September 2003 - 12:45

I believe we are the greatest country to live in (of course with many flaws). (not to get all nationalistic)
F**k off nationalist always the same with you usa people. Certainly not the greatest but the most aggrassive country (bit of topic now so i put mu favorite teamflag :P )

Hey Bellie is it wrong to say that &#39;I&#39; think this is the greatest country to live in. Shut up and read dillweed. I didn&#39;t say that YOU should think so.

By the way gayblade69puk I never said we INVENTED football. READ READ.
And soccer and baseball still suck. I don&#39;t care whose &#39;national&#39; sport it is.
Soccer may be fast paced but hell score more points then. Otherwise you are running back and forth with nary a point.

internet.news
09-24-2003, 11:56 PM
RE: Salaries

It&#39;s showbusiness. The game makes so much cash from TV deals and turnstyles that the money&#39;s there so why not go to the people who draw the crowds/viewers.

Compare it to movies - they make a lot of money based on the leading stars so they invest money to sign them up. It&#39;s the same for football - you invest the money on good players then you get more TV money and gate reciepts when you go up a division / enter the champions league / gain more fans (Dosn&#39;t always work e.g. Leeds).

It seems that as a business the logical flow of the money should be towards the assets - the players. If they didn&#39;t get it the chairmen would just reap it all in (we wouldn&#39;t get reduced ticket pricing or TV subscriptions as there is a demand to watch it - thankyou Euro &#39;96).

It just happens to be an occupation where talent pays very well.

The Horror fanatic
09-25-2003, 12:33 AM
there is nothing wrong with football. a great game of skill and technique. anyone could play stupid cricket, bowl bowls and play basketball. But like all sports too much money is paid to players. As far as i go if they are 10 to 40k a week, and they not play that week, why the hell pay them. they would not miss one weeks wages. some don&#39;t even merit their wages. Money ruins every game and no player is worth 40k plus a week. no matter how good they are. they could pay me 1k a week and i would play no problem

Busyman
09-25-2003, 04:27 AM
Indeed there are tons of bums in the NBA making millions a year.
But when you look at soccer, the one thing good about it is that just about anyone can play it. Who can&#39;t kick a ball or run. Granted there those that are more skillful than others (off the elbow,off the knee,off the head) but the basics of the game are easy to pick up on.
Now basketball is a whole other apple. Most of the folk that don&#39;t like can&#39;t play it.
From the start without any instruction I could run and kick a ball in soccer.
But with basketball, one can&#39;t just pick up dribbling or shooting a ball into a hole not that much bigger than the ball itself. This is why basketball is amazing. When a player like Allen Iverson comes down court with a man guarding him closely and he pulls up and shoots a jumper behind the 3 point line and it swishes (nothing but net), there&#39;s is nothing for soccer to offer.
Not only that, in basketball, that same &#39;amazingness&#39; happens over and over.
You see these amazing moves and dunks and it&#39;s like entertainment overload.
In the FIBA competition Iverson scored 7 3-pointers in one quarter including a buzzer beater&#33;&#33; :D (alot of players can&#39;t score 20 points in a whole game)
What can soccer show me.
I&#39;d love to see a contempory consistant Pele-like player with a good team just demolishing the other team but the way the game is structured it probably won&#39;t happen for awhile. Winning 1 to 0 or even 3 to 2 is not enough for me.

Adster
09-25-2003, 05:04 AM
yep agree soccer sux boring as hell

basketball sux even more get a ball chuck in in the hoop get paud 451 million thats the way what a life&#33;&#33;

Busyman
09-25-2003, 05:44 AM
What sports DO you like Adster?

The Horror fanatic
09-26-2003, 02:58 AM
all i say is name a sport without a ball or balls in it. look at what got a ball in it.
football(soccer), tennis, american football, rugby, hockey, baseball,basketball, cricket and bowls. My favourites are football, then american football.
a few that not involve a ball.
athletics, badminton, archery, skiing, ice hockey. Must admit the latter is kind of cool at times to watch.

3rd gen noob
09-26-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by The Horror fanatic@26 September 2003 - 02:58
all i say is name a sport without a ball or balls in it
most motorsport doesn&#39;t involve balls

The Horror fanatic
09-26-2003, 03:03 AM
rare i watch motorsport, but you got one there. even swimming another.

3rd gen noob
09-26-2003, 03:09 AM
horseracing/showjumping
darts (depending on definition of sport)
wrestling
martial arts

The Horror fanatic
09-26-2003, 03:11 AM
i not know how i not think of wrestling because i watch it all the time, but it not the same in a way without stone cold wrestling. but at least the undertaker is still going.

3rd gen noob
09-26-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by The Horror fanatic@26 September 2003 - 03:11
i not know how i not think of wrestling because i watch it all the time, but it not the same in a way without stone cold wrestling. but at least the undertaker is still going.
whoopsy, i meant real wrestling

silent VI
09-26-2003, 03:31 AM
What a shit game.
Hey look as he scores this one goal and uhhhh....sorry folks no more highlights.
Shrink the field or something. Put some points up. Speed the game up. Do something because I try to like all sports but DAMN.

:lol: i like girls soccer ;) jiggly ball

The Horror fanatic
09-26-2003, 03:45 AM
yes i understand by what you mean in real wrestling. some of it is fake, and you can tell. but i still like watching it all the same. i think the only real wrestling about now you mainly see at the olympics, and as kurt would say, it true, it damn true. ha ha, and that the bottom line because i just said so

3rd gen noob
09-26-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by The Horror fanatic@26 September 2003 - 03:45
some of it is fake
if by &#39;some&#39; you mean &#39;all&#39; then you&#39;re correct

:-"

The Horror fanatic
09-26-2003, 03:55 AM
not all of it is fake. do you call the actual supplexing and so on fake, because you see that in the olympics. Of course at least 50 percent of it is fake. Sometimes it is really pathetic how some do lose. and you are sat thinking god any other time he would kick out of that move.

3rd gen noob
09-26-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by The Horror fanatic@26 September 2003 - 03:55
you are sat thinking god any other time he would kick out of that move.
no, more like "god, why am i watching such tripe"?

:-"

The Horror fanatic
09-26-2003, 04:06 AM
well it plain to see you not like it all, but i have watched it ever since the old days. i think now it is more like entertainment than wrestling, hence why the WWE. some don&#39;t like it and some do. but although i watch it, it can not beat what i watch most. i watch horror movies and football(soccer) most

soopaman
09-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Busyman@24 September 2003 - 00:02

I know I&#39;m a bit late with this (been at work) but here goes:

I can remember Joe T getting his leg busted backwards - showing my age :D but that sort of injury is fairly commonplace in Association Football. Jamie Carragher of Liverpool had his leg broken last week in a tackle&#33;&#33; I used to live opposite a Football pitch where they play Sunday League matches ( Amateur Football ) and I&#39;ve been woken up by the "CRACK" of a leg breaking&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink: :D

All this "Basketball and Gridiron are the best" is just total shit - FOOTBALL rules over all other sports. What other sports incite as much passion (and violence)?? Answer: NONE. American sports fans couldn&#39;t even begin to recreate the atmosphere of a Derby match - and that&#39;s a fact.

MUSLEMAN
09-26-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Busyman@23 September 2003 - 12:46
What a shit game.
no class what so ever, soccer is not for you sir but it does not mean it sucks as it is one of the oldest sports around and if you got out once in while you would know that it is one of the biggest sports on the planet, do the words world cup soccer mean anything to ya???

blade1356uk
09-26-2003, 09:59 AM
my team Sheffield United played Cardiff City last saturday & the score was 0-0 at half time the match finished 5-3 to Sheffield United now that&#39;s entertainment & value for money.Busyman granted you did not say that you invented Football but you did say you invented your own games,american football derives from Rugby & baseball, Rounders.that was my point.no offence intended on your national sport.I guess wearing protective gear does have it&#39;s safety points,as several of our footy players have had some horrendous injuries over the years.it&#39;s a shame that boxers do not have to wear head gear all the time,as the brain injuries to these guy&#39;s have become apparent with Frank Bruno being sectioned for depression & other mental disorders.Look at Ali man he was my hero & the illness he now has is terrible if indeed it has been caused by blows to the head.

N£MO
09-26-2003, 10:03 AM
Are we talking football here??

Soccer sucks as yanks invented the name.

Football,the beautiful game. :D

blade1356uk
09-26-2003, 10:10 AM
yeah I agree mate & Chelsea seem to have a few quid now & all the other Prem teams are shaking in there Banks lol.good luck & I hope you have a good season SUFC supporter

N£MO
09-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by blade1356uk@26 September 2003 - 10:10
yeah I agree mate & Chelsea seem to have a few quid now & all the other Prem teams are shaking in there Banks lol.good luck & I hope you have a good season SUFC supporter
Thanks mate.As long as we are above Man Utd at the end of the season i will be a happy man. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/football_heaven/images/blades270.jpg

blade1356uk
09-26-2003, 10:32 AM
no worry&#39;s talent over brawn anyday,good pic of Brown hope he has a good season like last.how do you put pics on like the brown pic,thick Yorkshireman lol

N£MO
09-26-2003, 10:35 AM
You need to have a picture stored or find one on a site you like.Then hit the IMG button when you post and put the url in.

blade1356uk
09-26-2003, 10:38 AM
cheers mate

Busyman
09-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by blade1356uk@26 September 2003 - 09:59
my team Sheffield United played Cardiff City last saturday & the score was 0-0 at half time the match finished 5-3 to Sheffield United now that&#39;s entertainment & value for money.Busyman granted you did not say that you invented Football but you did say you invented your own games,american football derives from Rugby & baseball, Rounders.that was my point.no offence intended on your national sport.I guess wearing protective gear does have it&#39;s safety points,as several of our footy players have had some horrendous injuries over the years.it&#39;s a shame that boxers do not have to wear head gear all the time,as the brain injuries to these guy&#39;s have become apparent with Frank Bruno being sectioned for depression & other mental disorders.Look at Ali man he was my hero & the illness he now has is terrible if indeed it has been caused by blows to the head.
No problem blade.
I didn&#39;t say we invented our own sports. I know we invented basketball (my favorite) and I did think we invented baseball (which you say comes from rounders(I didn&#39;t know that)). I don&#39;t just dislike soccer, which is international, I dislike baseball too, which I thought was all-American so you did not offend me (but thanks anyway). If you said basketball sucked I wouldn&#39;t be offended.

Anyway boxers wearing head gear would prolong their careers and virtually eliminate eyebrow cuts and head butts. I hate matches decided by that crap.

blade1356uk
09-28-2003, 09:42 AM
busyman thanks for the reply & yeah I played rounders at school many yrs ago during the jurrasic period lol simular game format, centuries old cheers

The Horror fanatic
09-29-2003, 04:38 AM
i did rounders at school but it 20 years ago. i can remember the local baths were nearby too. the amount of balls that hit that roof was amazing. i bet they found over a hundred on that roof.

blade1356uk
09-29-2003, 09:20 AM
which baths were that HF

The Horror fanatic
10-01-2003, 03:41 AM
ones near woodthorpe junior school. school i once went too.