PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Test My Connection Speed?

AtmosOC
09-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Some people have posted that they " checked there connection speed." where or what do I need to do to find out mine?

razorsharp013
09-23-2003, 05:28 PM
Read this, there's a link:http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=69039

Gre1
09-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by AtmosOC@23 September 2003 - 12:25
Some people have posted that they " checked there connection speed." where or what do I need to do to find out mine?
Just simply go here DSL Reports (http://www.dslreports.com) and do a line speed test.

Broken
09-23-2003, 05:34 PM
just type {internet connection test} in your browser for about a hunderd more places where you can test your speed.

Gre1
09-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Broken@23 September 2003 - 12:34
just type {internet connection test} in your browser for about a hunderd more places where you can test your speed.
You mean in a search engine (Yahoo or Google)

Broken
09-23-2003, 05:47 PM
yea...

i hope everyone understood that your browser uses a search engine, or you shuld use a search engine with your browser.... it's all just a play on words, i hope it was understood.

gbfan
09-23-2003, 07:56 PM
I use PC Pitstop (http://pcpitstop.com/). You have to register, but there are alot of tests that you can run.

AtmosOC
09-23-2003, 09:31 PM
so I checked my speed and it was like 934/144 and that's good but what is making IE go soooo slow I've had this problem for a while... even when there are no other programs running my page viewing speed is like 56 k? what might cause IE to slow down so much?

Gre1
09-23-2003, 10:00 PM
U might be running other stuff on your computer just CTRL+ALT DELETE and see what's running. I knew a trick to make your browser run faster but I forgot If I remember I will let u know.

AtmosOC
09-24-2003, 05:34 AM
please do...

toddiscool
09-24-2003, 06:43 AM
First delete cookies temp files defrag, blah blah, if that does not help then...

Is just your browser running slowly, not all programs? What OS are you using, is it ME or higher?
If the answer is yes to both of those, than check what version of IE you are using. (assuming using IE, since you did not say) to Check version: Help - about IE.

If it says 6.0 and updated version's is SP1 go to control panel - add remove programs - Microsft internet explorer 6 SP1 and internet tools - remove - repair.

If that is not there than if you are using XP you can get it back but it is not worth it, just clean cookies and check all other browser settings.

If it is not IE 6.0 SP1, go to microsoft.com and download it, then see if it is better, if not run the repair mentioned above.

If using 98 make sure that you meet requirments for service pack - very low but make sure. Actually I think that it is only likea 486 and 16MB of Ram, then do the above mentioned.

If you think that it is your connection - do not rely on speedtests, very inacurate. If you think that it is your connection, well first off how are downloads like on k-lite or any other things that you use. (not internet explorer)

To check if it is your connection check for packet loss, to check for packet loss run a trace route.

start-run- CMD (command in 9.x or mellenium) - tracert -d www.google.com
Look for timeout's (*=timout) more than a couple call your ISP. Response times should be low aswell, over 60ms is kinda high. Depends on connection though.
EDIT: Why is this in other p2p?

AtmosOC
09-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Thank you I do use xp and even though I could'nt find repair re-installing 6.0 helped and now speeds are good... sorry for the placement of this. I should have paced it in another place i know... thank you again...