PDA

View Full Version : Avi To Dvd

caton77
09-23-2003, 05:45 PM
call me an idiot if you like but...
I have downloaded a few films in AVI format the usual XVID, DIV3,4,5 and now i want to try to convert them to DVD so i can play them on my DVD player and the big (well it's bigger than my monitor) screen tv,
i have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 and curentley 5 blank DVD-R 4.7Gb disc's
Could some1 please tell me how this is done in..

VERY SIMPLE terms as i can sometimes be a bit slow picking up on the info

Thank you in advance :D

please, pritty please with a cherry on top and sugar :D

Gre1
09-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by caton77@23 September 2003 - 12:45
I have downloaded a few films in AVI format the usual XVID, DIV3,4,5 and now i want to try to convert them to DVD so i can play them on my DVD player and the big (well it's bigger than my monitor) screen tv,

U must mean to VCD's first make sure your DVD player can support them it should say it or something similar on the front of it if it can. then just go to:DVDRHelp (http://www.dvdrhelp.com)

caton77
09-23-2003, 06:09 PM
;) DVD, I WANT TO MAKE A DVD ;)
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

please help :(

KennI
09-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Maybe theres a program to do from avi to dvd. Look for it on this page www.google.com just type in what you want maybe you'll find what your lookin' for. Good Luck :D

Gre1
09-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by caton77@23 September 2003 - 13:09
;) DVD, I WANT TO MAKE A DVD ;)
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

please help :(
You can't make a full DVD out of a .avi It has to be encoded.

ck-uk
09-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by caton77@23 September 2003 - 17:45

Just use tempeg,and use the dvd template in the project wizard if ur not sure of the settings and terms.U'll then need to author and put in menus and shit if u like the file for dvdr with nero or somthing like ulead dvd.

dvdrhelp.com.

Keighley-England
09-23-2003, 07:54 PM
stay put ill post it soon how to convert avi to a dvd.
i having to go out but ill be back soon. :blink:

caton77
09-23-2003, 08:42 PM
cheers guy :D

Keighley-England
09-23-2003, 10:10 PM
first of all make sure your avi files are over 700000 or you will have a poor dvd.
second you will need virtualdub this is only needed to check for bad frames (if the avi has bad frames in it you will wast a dvd-r) so open virtualdub load file then go to video and click direct steem same to audio then go to video go down to and click scan video stream for errors, that will scan for errors and report when done, if there is a lot of errors look for another copy if only a few save under another name and that will cut the bad frames out.
now you have a good avi copy lets convert it
there are several ways i will go through two
you will req, nero burning rom and nerovision express with the dvd mpeg2 plugin you can buy this from nero or find it on Kazaa dvd mpeg2 plugin is hard to find.
start nerovision express goto burn video to dvd-video (if this option is not there you havent got the dvd plug-in ) load video the avi will load and do some calculations (final size on dvd) next. here you can name your video and other things i would recomend just name your dvd untill you get better at it go to header/footer text and name your dvd in header text.
next you can preview it. skip this if you want. next go to prefrences pick pal or ntsc depending on your region then you can either burn it to disc or to hard drive to burn later, one tip purchase a dvd-rw to practise on mark my words you will throw a lot of dvd-r away untill you get some practise in. then wait 2 to 6 hours depending on your system then hey presto a dvd.

next way
you will need sonic mydvd all to be found on kazaa.
open sonic click dvd video then create or modify a dvd-video
next click get movie and load your avi file the click edit video
new window click edit video go down to send all clips in menu.
new window look for these and click. entire movie, timeline, then click create then down to dvd without menues. the window that opens saying save as, just close and another window will open here you can name your dvd it will also tell you what drive it is going to write to then put a dvd (do not forget the dvd-rw) in your drive and hit ok and in 2 to 6 hours hey presto you have a dvd to play on your standalone dvd player.

if your movie is upside down dont worry go to efects and click flip vertical the go to yellow line saying flip ver. right click on yellow line, extend to align, the end of movie and your movie will be the correct way up

sorry about the spelling and puctuations i only learnt to read an write a few week ago.
I hope this helps you. it sound complicated but its not any ? please email me at [email protected] do not ask me were to get softwear from.

Gre1
09-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Keighley-England@23 September 2003 - 17:10
first of all make sure your avi files are over 700000 or you will have a poor dvd.
second you will need virtualdub this is only needed to check for bad frames (if the avi has bad frames in it you will wast a dvd-r) so open virtualdub load file then go to video and click direct steem same to audio then go to video go down to and click scan video stream for errors, that will scan for errors and report when done, if there is a lot of errors look for another copy if only a few save under another name and that will cut the bad frames out.
now you have a good avi copy lets convert it
there are several ways i will go through two
you will req, nero burning rom and nerovision express with the dvd mpeg2 plugin you can buy this from nero or find it on Kazaa dvd mpeg2 plugin is hard to find.
start nerovision express goto burn video to dvd-video (if this option is not there you havent got the dvd plug-in ) load video the avi will load and do some calculations (final size on dvd) next. here you can name your video and other things i would recomend just name your dvd untill you get better at it go to header/footer text and name your dvd in header text.
next you can preview it. skip this if you want. next go to prefrences pick pal or ntsc depending on your region then you can either burn it to disc or to hard drive to burn later, one tip purchase a dvd-rw to practise on mark my words you will throw a lot of dvd-r away untill you get some practise in. then wait 2 to 6 hours depending on your system then hey presto a dvd.

next way
you will need sonic mydvd all to be found on kazaa.
open sonic click dvd video then create or modify a dvd-video
next click get movie and load your avi file the click edit video
new window click edit video go down to send all clips in menu.
new window look for these and click. entire movie, timeline, then click create then down to dvd without menues. the window that opens saying save as, just close and another window will open here you can name your dvd it will also tell you what drive it is going to write to then put a dvd (do not forget the dvd-rw) in your drive and hit ok and in 2 to 6 hours hey presto you have a dvd to play on your standalone dvd player.

if your movie is upside down dont worry go to efects and click flip vertical the go to yellow line saying flip ver. right click on yellow line, extend to align, the end of movie and your movie will be the correct way up

sorry about the spelling and puctuations i only learnt to read an write a few week ago.
I hope this helps you. it sound complicated but its not any ? please email me at [email protected] do not ask me were to get softwear from.
I just skimmed through and I see bad advice already u shouldn't use nero to encode cause it fucks files up use tmpgenc instead.

Keighley-England
09-23-2003, 11:18 PM
hello gre 1
i didnt know this was your post otherwise i wouldnt have answered because i can see from all your other posts you know every thing.
maybe you cannot use nero correctly :ph34r:

caton77
09-23-2003, 11:37 PM
cheers m8 i'll give it a try in the morning now :)

thanks a lot if i have any probs i'll e-mail :)
caton77@same

Wolfmight
09-23-2003, 11:44 PM
there was a program called EO Video or something.. Converted anything to anything. (video wise)

Gre1
09-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Keighley-England@23 September 2003 - 18:18
hello gre 1
i didnt know this was your post otherwise i wouldnt have answered because i can see from all your other posts you know every thing.
maybe you cannot use nero correctly :ph34r:
Don't say that cause I don't I am just advanced on some stuff. I didn't read your guide but I'm sure it's pretty good but I am just saying don't use Nero to encode it's not good it's only good to burn.

caton77
09-24-2003, 07:49 PM
any1 know how much space is needed 2 make a dvd (by space needed i mean space on hdd) i have tried twice once with 9Gb, then again with 16Gb and still not enough any1 know??

I'm using the nero method

Cheers peps

Gre1
09-24-2003, 09:35 PM
The max from what I know a dvd-r is 4.xxx gigs I don't know the exact size.

browser
09-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey, r u sure the Sonic MyDVD way works, because as far as i know (which isn't that much) you need to re-encode the resolution and bitrate to get a proper DVD.

Keighley-England
09-24-2003, 11:17 PM
if you are converting avi 3 to 4 gig if converting a full shop bought dvd about 10 gig

and no you dont have to do anything sonic my dvd will do every thing for you
:wub:

caton77
09-25-2003, 08:37 AM
any1 know how much space is needed 2 make a dvd (by space needed i mean space on hdd) i have tried twice once with 9Gb, then again with 16Gb and still not enough any1 know??

I'm using the nero method

Cheers peps

Gre1 reply was

The max from what I know a dvd-r is 4.xxx gigs I don't know the exact size.

Do u just reply with any answer?? or can u not read the question??

Fyi i tried again with a 31GB of free space on my hard disk drive and then it tell me it cannot transcode the film :(

Any suggestions peps

ck-uk
09-25-2003, 09:03 AM
As Gre1 said when encoding to dvd-video u need about 4.xx gig..But then its according how u author the movie<<<u could need upto about 10 gig for the whole project if output to and image or video.ts folders before u burn to dvdr

Tri this guide is very easy,basicely the same as making a vcd.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tmpgencdvd.htm..i cant make it a active link my popup stops it ,,just paste in your browser

Ok it is now.

Gre1
09-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by caton77@25 September 2003 - 03:37
[

Gre1 reply was

The max from what I know a dvd-r is 4.xxx gigs I don&#39;t know the exact size.

Do u just reply with any answer?? or can u not read the question??

Fyi i tried again with a 31GB of free space on my hard disk drive and then it tell me it cannot transcode the film :(

Any suggestions peps [/quote]
I appreciated if u tone that down a bit like I said from what I know most dvd-r I see are about 4.xxx gigs so if u have a better answer just say it and don&#39;t talk all that nonsense to me cause u can&#39;t encode the movie thank u.

mari666
09-26-2003, 04:43 AM
Here&#39;s another way to do things.

The software that you will need:
VirtualDub
TMPGEnc with MPEG2 support(get plus off Kazaa)
TMPGEnc DVD Author
Be Sweet(Optional if ya want Dolby 5.1 sound)

First thing&#39;s first, check your AVI for errors and glitches with VirtualDub as stated earlier.

Next step now is to open TMPGEnc with MPEG2 support and click on NTSC(USA/Canada) or PAL(Europe) and any option you wish (For best viewable video, choose 16:9).

Click NEXT and open the video file.

Now you can mess around with the movie some by changing the bitrate the movie runs at, source ranges and so on. Nothing too important here. If you want, you can go to Audio, turn it into MPEG Layer 1 audio and then click on NEXT.

Here TMPGEnc has already set the bitrate for the maximum space of a DVDr.

From here click NEXT and save the files.

Once the film is done, open TMPGEnc DVD Author.

Open up the film and the sound file.

Make yourself a main title page if you want, go nuts&#33;

Then simply finish it off by following the instructions and convert it.

Once converted, you can use DVD Author to burn the DVD for you.

There you have it. A simple way to do things.

Now if you wanted Doly Digital 5.1 sound, when you had the video and sound files split from the AVI, you could run the wav through Be Sweet and convert it to DD5.1

Enjoy.

browser
09-26-2003, 02:49 PM
I am still trying the Sonic way. I tried to open the AVI Video in VirtualDub and i get this error message. "VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 54455 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 136.7 +- 24.9 kbps)" should i decompress and do the rest of the things it says coz i have no clue about wot they r on about.