PDA

View Full Version : Deep Fryer

tesco
05-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I've never used one before.
I'm thinking of buying one though for making french fries and fried potatos and stuff.
Just wondering about the oil in it though. Do you have to change the oil every time you use it or does it clean it or something?:unsure:
I imagine if I had to replace the oil every time I used it it would cost a lot to use. :blink:

benchez' mum
05-03-2009, 02:18 PM
The chippie accross the road from me has been using the same oil for 10 years I think. :mellow:

Alien5
05-03-2009, 02:26 PM
There are good Oils to use and Bad ones.

Avoid cheep tran-fats.

Sunflower Oil is good enough.

The healthyer the type of oil you use and the more often you change it, the longer you will live.

Bad Oils and fats just increase the risk Heart disease and Cancer.

tesco
05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
There are good Oils to use and Bad ones.

Avoid cheep tran-fats.

Sunflower Oil is good enough.

The healthyer the type of oil you use and the more often you change it, the longer you will live.

Bad Oils and fats just increase the risk Heart disease and Cancer.
thanks.

But so if I put in sunflower oil can I use it once, then not use the thing for a week, then use it again without changing the oil?

Alien5
05-03-2009, 02:50 PM
you can re-use it: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/12319

but every time you re-use the same oil, it becomes more harmfull.

cooking oil at high temperatures produces carcinogenic compounds. Carcinogenic compounds are released when fat is oxidized during high temperature cooking. Two other tips: Never let cooking oil smoke, and don't reuse oil.

Just reading makes me feel ill.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7191794/Cooking-Oil-Waste

After eating meals prepared in used cooking oil, researchers found that blood flow through arteries was impeded. The study, published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, reports that foods cooked in fresh oil or no oil caused no significant blood vessel restrictions.

tesco
05-03-2009, 02:51 PM
You turned me off the idea. :(

Alien5
05-03-2009, 02:53 PM
:dabs:

me too, I love fried foods.

Just use fresh oil as often as you can, its fine.

or filtered friers might be good, but i don't know about those.

Skweeky
05-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Tesco, just make the things in the oven and stop yourself from becoming a fat fuck.

KFlint
05-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Who knows, stopping fried food might help your short term memory, 2 for 1!

tesco
05-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Who knows, stopping fried food might help your short term memory, 2 for 1!
I don't eat much fried food I don't have a deep fryer.:pinch:

KFlint
05-03-2009, 07:34 PM
I sometimes use a normal pot to make french fries and never had any particular problem, just don't put to much oil in it.

It always went fine except for that fire that devastated my block once, but hey...I was still learning :mushy:

TheFoX
05-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Use olive oil, as it is low in something. Don't use Castrol, as it is for motor vehicle use only, and not very good for frying (all those additives make the food taste funny).

(I actually know of someone who allowed her brother to change her engine oil in her moped, and it seized up because cooking oil is not very good for 2 stroke engines)

Alternatively, get yourself a wok and half fill it with oil, then fry off the chips or fries. Save yourself the cost of the fryer.

KFlint
05-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Use olive oil, as it is low in something.

Words of wisdom

But deep frying in olive oil must make your chicken nuggets taste pretty nasty :sick:

Skiz
05-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I've got a fryer. It rocks.

It's not one of those tiny fuckers either. Its like this (http://www.cajunoutdoorcooking.com/bayou_classic/turkey_fryer_3066.htm).

We'll even fried up some twinkies for dessert about a month ago. Batter them and fry 'em, them top with a tad of powdered sugar and chocolate, then server with ice cream. It's the shit. :yup:

You can reuse the oil but you wouldn't want to. One, you don't want to leave it just laying out, as it will collect dust and bugs if uncovered. Even if covered it smells like the food you cooked in it. The only way to reuse it would be to let it cool and then pour it in a container. Last and most importantly, you don't want your food to taste like whatever you last cooked (ie - you don't want tonights hot wings to taste like yesterdays shrimp).

That's also why you'll want to cook your milder foods first. Like if you're cooking onion rings and fries, cook the fries first so they don't taste like onion rings.

However, oil really isn't that expensive. I buy it for around $5/gallon.

Skiz
05-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Use olive oil, as it is low in something.

:sick:

Use peanut oil ffs.

Agrajag
05-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Use oven chips,you can get decent ones now.

pentomato
05-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Read the instruccions, I just can't believe that guys at this day and age do not know how to make french fries, lol, did you try the internet?
Is this thread for real?

tesco
05-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Read the instruccions, I just can't believe that guys at this day and age do not know how to make french fries, lol, did you try the internet?
Is this thread for real?
I didn't ask how to make french fries.:blink:

Something Else
05-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Fry us up some Mars bars, or do something else tesco.

pentomato
05-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Is this thread for real?

What did you ask? About oil?
Ok you start a thread asking young people about what kind of oil when they don't know how to wipe their arssess? lol Sorry I had to laugh
By the way, corn oil is the one you should go with, vegetable oil is too greasse.

tesco
05-04-2009, 01:21 AM

What did you ask? About oil?
Ok you start a thread asking young people about what kind of oil when they don't know how to wipe their arssess? lol Sorry I had to laugh:blink:

pentomato
05-04-2009, 02:18 AM
what? Use Corn oil, go make the french fries, when they are golden brown, they are ready, I hope I could help.