PDA

View Full Version : Folder View Problem In Xp

Wizzandabe
09-23-2003, 09:19 PM
OK, Running Windows XP Pro SP1 Intergrated.

I got the folder view set to "Tiles" and in 'My Music' folder I got it set to list, so I can fit more albums on the screan. Problem is that when I set the view to 'list' once I leave that folder and then go back to it, it has reset it's self to "Tiles" again. This is really anoying as I got loads of albums, (Albums = Folders) on mt 1280x1024 Res screan.

Is there anyway I can stop this from happening?
Or a program?

PS, I have got it set in Tools>Folder Options.."Remember folder view" so it can't be that. :D

razorsharp013
09-23-2003, 09:21 PM
That's been happening to me forever, it drove me crazy! I finally just gave up and set all folders to a detailed list view. Actually, I've grown to like it better that way.

Wizzandabe
09-23-2003, 09:24 PM
I got it on 'List' on here (Win98) but its faster as this is a slow PC. But my 2.4Ghz should deserve better.

pol
09-23-2003, 09:25 PM
i'm not totally sure about this Wizzandabe - but i think it might have something todo with 'window washer' or similar progs. i think they can wipe your folder prefs files

razorsharp013
09-23-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by pol@23 September 2003 - 16:25
i'm not totally sure about this Wizzandabe - but i think it might have something todo with 'window washer' or similar progs. i think they can wipe your folder prefs files
You may be right. Window Washer did that with my Winamp settings, drove me nuts till I finally realized it.

Wizzandabe
09-23-2003, 09:27 PM
I just installed,
Ad-Aware
System Maninaintance (Like Windows Washer, but with everything you can think of.)

Seeing as you said that, and I installed it yesterday, and I only noticed it today, it got to be that.

I'll give it a go, and see.

Thanks,

PS, oh' and called me Wizz. :D

pol
09-23-2003, 09:30 PM
PS, oh' and called me Wizz. :D

no worries Wizz, hope it works :D

fr600
09-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Go to CONTROL PANEL then FOLDER OPTIONS then click VIEW and then unmark DO NOT CACHE THUMBNAILS. I hope that will fix your problem...

sparsely
09-24-2003, 01:01 AM
with Tweak UI you can change the number of folders that windows will remember the view settings for.
by default it's set to (I think) 200.

Change it to whatever you like.

shn
09-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Wizzandabe@23 September 2003 - 15:19
OK, Running Windows XP Pro SP1 Intergrated.

I got the folder view set to "Tiles" and in 'My Music' folder I got it set to list, so I can fit more albums on the screan. Problem is that when I set the view to 'list' once I leave that folder and then go back to it, it has reset it's self to "Tiles" again. This is really anoying as I got loads of albums, (Albums = Folders) on mt 1280x1024 Res screan.

Is there anyway I can stop this from happening?
Or a program?

PS, I have got it set in Tools>Folder Options.."Remember folder view" so it can't be that. :D
There is a option under folder view options that says "remember each folder view's settings"

Try selcting that and it should fix it. ;)

skelley521
09-24-2003, 12:03 PM
Hey wizz, I just formatted my puter and experienced the same thing here.
The only fix I have found so far....when you open a folder and you change it's view settings then open tools--folder options, then on the screen just click ok.

Seems I have to do this on each folder that I open.

It must be system mech. pro that is the culprit as it is the only app that I have installed.

hope this helps,
Steve

Skank
09-24-2003, 12:11 PM
no its not system mechanic pro cause i have that installed and ive not got any problems with folder view settings buddy

edit : and ive just done a full reinstall

skelley521
09-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Skank@24 September 2003 - 07:11
no its not system mechanic pro cause i have that installed and ive not got any problems with folder view settings buddy

edit : and ive just done a full reinstall
Just having it installed may not cause the problem.
Have you ran through all the options,cleaning and fixing solutions.
I just did a fresh format/install; installed sp1 and all updates...played with puter and all seemed fine. Then installed sys. mech. pro. and played with it and thats when I noticed the annoying folder view problem also.
BTW, no one told me that you were my buddy and everyones PC is different.
And this full install of your OS is what??
We are trying to resolve a problem here and I dont need to here crap from a mr./mrs. Iolo lover.

Later,
Steve

Skank
09-24-2003, 12:37 PM
why did u play with it after a full reinstall?..thats were u fucked up obviously..computers are dicey things at the best of times and not to be treated with disrespect..."playing" with your latest software addition is not the wisest thing to be doing..ive been using system mechanic for a while now with windows XP pro mate..and im no newbie to operating systems

as for this comment (We are trying to resolve a problem here and I dont need to here crap from a mr./mrs. Iolo lover.) ...if you dont like what i have too say just close ya eyes then u wont have too read it...probably fix ya problem with system mechanic..lol

why does everyone blame software for there problems?..why cant people take responsibility for there own mistakes..

skelley521
09-24-2003, 12:48 PM
why does everyone blame software for there problems?..why cant people take responsibility for there own mistakes..

OK, very simple here mr expert.....

1. everything was fine.
2. installed/ran "1" piece of software.
3. checked system out as I always do between installing apps and noticed the problem.

why did u play with it after a full reinstall?..thats were u fucked up obviously..computers are dicey things at the best of times and not to be treated with disrespect..."playing"

It's my pc and I can 'play' with any software that "I" like.

If I want to get serious with my pc I use DOS!!

I dont need any 'point and click/graphics' to operate my pc....do you?

..ive been using system mechanic for a while now with windows XP pro

I have been using it also, think its up to 3.7i now, but we are talking about the newer pro 4.0 version.

Skank
09-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Yeah yeah wot ever...why do people like u try and turn everything into a pissing contest?..

take into account that any settings u change in explorer will be over-ridden if u say, change settings in the folder options..

why dont we test your theory then..un-install sys mechanic and i bet your still stuck with your problem

Skank
09-24-2003, 01:08 PM
ok if u played around with "tweak windows settings" located under "optimise tab...that will cause some conflicts with settings all ready in use..
ya like little kids some of you..gotta play with everything..IF IT AINT BROKE DONT MESS WITH IT

skelley521
09-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah yeah wot ever...why do people like u try and turn everything into a pissing contest?..

Because:

2 people with a similar problem are looking for an answer and all you say is...
"no its not system mechanic pro cause i have that installed and ive not got any problems"

I don't care if you don't have any problems....you also shouldn't reply if you don't have any solutions either.

Later,
Steve

Skank
09-24-2003, 01:40 PM
Put ya money where ya mouth is then mate...uninstall it and see what happens...

I seeded system mechanic pro 4 to the other guy(wizz) with the problem ,through bit-torrent ..hes a good mate and i wouldnt of recommended it to him if it causes fuck ups like this

for the record i seeded(uploaded it through our private BT forum) to maybe 15 people and ive heard no complaints about it except u and wizz...so u can put ya stats in the recycle bin cause they dont mean jack to me

Edit..your the guy who uninstalled messenger and then nortons wouldnt scan the recieved files right?.is this after or before your reinstall?...see your always playing with shit you know nothing about...

skelley521
09-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Put ya money where ya mouth is then mate...uninstall it and see what happens...

I have already resovled the issue, can you not comprehend?

I seeded; i seeded

Who cares.

u can put ya stats in the recycle bin cause they dont mean jack to me

NO......'YOU' dont mean jack to 'me'!!

Edit..your the guy who uninstalled messenger and then nortons wouldnt do something right?....see your always playing with shit you know nothing about...

Once again.....It's mine and I can 'play' with it if I want and when I post I only look for people with 'answers' that may have encounter simular problems.

Skank
09-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Once again.....It's mine and I can 'play' with it if I want and when I post I only look for people with 'answers' that may have encounter simular problems.

problems caused by your self easily enough then u aint got the brain power when it comes time to fixing your fuck ups...

give a kid a new toy and he'l play with it till its broken...lol

newbies these days ..theyre everywhere on the internet

skelley521
09-24-2003, 02:14 PM
newbies these days

newbie??....you wish.

I have had a pc in my house since the 85/86 era and went into the electronic tech field. It was a good business making and repairing hardware until it became cheaper to buy 'new' instead of repairing the 'old'. I knew I should have went into program development, but thats hindsight

I remember when windows first came out and my friends tried to talk me into using it and I constantly refused...dos was good for me. When 98SE hit the market I finally gave in and tried it. Clicking on graphics was nice, but noticed the large consumption of memory.
Anyways....noob...dont believe so.
'87 H.S. graduate; graduate from Boston University (major electronic technician/ minor accounting )and always a United States Marine. I also can't forget a father of 4 :)

Skank
09-24-2003, 02:17 PM
youve been messing with computers since 85/86 and u cant fix your folder views..you gotta be fucking kidding me....

anyways glad u got ya problem sorted..which was the aim

skelley521
09-24-2003, 02:22 PM

It has been sorted, I was just telling wiz what I did to resolve it....'it is' my original post.

Skank
09-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Not really a fix..more of a work around i think...

shn
09-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Skank@24 September 2003 - 08:17
youve been messing with computers since 85/86 and u cant fix your folder views..you gotta be fucking kidding me....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

skelley521
09-24-2003, 02:41 PM

Who said it wasn't fixed....must be a reading or a comprehension problem

Skank
09-24-2003, 02:43 PM
dont lets start this crap again...lol

skelley521
09-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Ok...done deal.

enjoy,
Steve

Skank
09-24-2003, 02:51 PM
:)

Wizzandabe
09-24-2003, 09:57 PM
OK, I see a nice few replyes, that look good, and a few spam. :D

I'll give those aog, and get back to you. B)

Wizz.

Wizzandabe
09-25-2003, 03:28 PM
No luck, it's still doing it. :angry:

Also, when I open a Explorer windowm like My Computer, or My Documents, it is always small, and not maximized. This got to be the same problem, Maybe I might ether do,
Repair On XP (By Booting frojm CD on start-up)
Formatting, and re0installing

What do you think.if any will do the job?

Skank
09-25-2003, 05:44 PM
well if youve tried everything else theres not much left that u can do except repair installation

Wizzandabe
09-25-2003, 09:18 PM
I booted and pressed R, then it come up with witch installation I want to repair, so i cohse the XP one, then nothing happened, jsut asked for a password, I gave it it, and nothing...any ideas? :huh:

Skank
09-25-2003, 10:04 PM
Nope :(
Sounds like your fucked :P

Wizzandabe
09-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Nah, not fucked. I just formatted, and re-installed XP. Now it's working fine. :D

Just hope it doesnt happen again, seeing as I'm always mucking about with settings. So if I did a system resotre point will this rest it if anything like this happens again? :huh: