PDA

View Full Version : Are you afraid to take chances with people?

bilkenter
05-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Are you afraid to take chances with people? and why? :P

Alien5
05-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Yes

Swift
05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
No , I always do. But it doesn't work all the time on people they become annoyied

TheFoX
05-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Depends on what sort of chances you are referring to?

bilkenter
05-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Depends on what sort of chances you are referring to?
it can really be anything, chance to be friends, chance to give him access to the site he wanna get, chance to believe in what he says et cetera. Some people are let down so many times that they kinda lose their faith in humanity therefore avoiding possible friendships, this is why, they dont want to take chances with people. Actually what i really mean, are you biased? I mean do you approach people neutral or have some kinda bad experience thereby being prejudiced or something? Hope it is clear now.

Albo Da Kid
05-07-2009, 10:11 PM
yes.. very little things get to me. for example just the fact of a girl breaking up with me drives me nuts even if i don't care about her. But when im the one to break up with her first, i don't even think about her afterwards.

I don't know what kind of phsycological fuck up this is but i go nuts when people fuck me over, even just a little bit. The feeling of someone letting you down is horrible

TheFoX
05-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Sometimes strangers are easier to deal with than friends or family, because friends and family have expectations.

As for handing out invites to my tracker, I have offered a few to a couple of strangers who I felt offered that little bit more than most of the strangers here.

What I would look for in an invitee is that something different. Anyone can beg for an invite, as most do, but some people just ooze that something a little bit special, and those people deserve the opportunity to demonstrate their dedication.

As with all things, first appearances often dictate how people perceive you, so if your a total knob, then people will see you that way, and no matter how hard you try to change that, that first appearance will follow you around forever.

Skiz
05-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Yes.

This is a prime example of why. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invite-giveaways-and-requests-90/t-feedmeplease-348604)

I've given out three invites in about 2+ years.

j0hn to FTN.
Rafi to E****
bd to What.

I have no regrets about inviting any of them.

peat moss
05-08-2009, 03:36 AM
With people you take a chance every day , dropping your kids off at daycare, walking to school etc. I never had a problem meeting new friends or starting a new job , just be yourself I guess . Oh wait you mean invites ?:lol:

JK i'v never had a regret with all the invites I'v given because I never expected anything in return other than the person being a good sharing member . :)

Zaxx
05-08-2009, 03:40 AM
I recently looked at my invite tree on ftn to see who I thought was one of my best invites had been banned...he was active, made hero rank, donated...guess ya never know.
Just hope it doesn't keep me from getting future invites. :pinch:

peat moss
05-08-2009, 03:42 AM
TheFoX makes a good point tho , my ex-wife was a cunt with the invite I gave her for Revtt and IPT but live and learn I guess .

bilkenter
05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
yes.. very little things get to me. for example just the fact of a girl breaking up with me drives me nuts even if i don't care about her. But when im the one to break up with her first, i don't even think about her afterwards.

I don't know what kind of phsycological fuck up this is but i go nuts when people fuck me over, even just a little bit. The feeling of someone letting you down is horrible
Yeah, being let down sucks, yet one shall also look at positive side of such a let down. At least there will be one less people in the world who can let you down :happy: also there is always possibility the reason that one let you down for wasnt at the hands of person who let you down in the first place. There are different dimensions to life that might actually compel someone to let you down.

Yes.

This is a prime example of why. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invite-giveaways-and-requests-90/t-feedmeplease-348604)

I've given out three invites in about 2+ years.

j0hn to FTN.
Rafi to E****
bd to What.

I have no regrets about inviting any of them.
:happy: that was intended for fun nothing more, though obviously we have diffeerent sense of humour, that has nothing to prove that one might let you down. I think you are rushing to judgment, i have been on most sites except ftn n e... , though i am not interested in any of them, dont you think it is a little weird that if i were to let someone down, wouldnt it take place here since this is the only forum that i am using actively i guess? I think someone would come and accuse me of scamming, cheating, trading or any other issue here. Anyway the point is you shall not allow the actions of certan man cloud your judgments. At least this is what i believe anyway.

With people you take a chance every day , dropping your kids off at daycare, walking to school etc. I never had a problem meeting new friends or starting a new job , just be yourself I guess . Oh wait you mean invites ?:lol:
JK i'v never had a regret with all the invites I'v given because I never expected anything in return other than the person being a good sharing member . :)
Well actually, you are forced to take chance with people everyday because of conditions, if you are working, you obviously gonna take chance with daycare center, You in a way will be forced to take chances. what i meant in this poll is that are you afraid to take chances with people willingly? If it was in your power to give people an opportunity for something, would you willingly give them a chance? Nope i dont mean invites, yet gotta admit that was from where the idea came to me, regarding that i dont give invites too, i only give to my friends and the friends of them, therefore though i usually am not afraid to give people an opportunity for something, yet sometimes, i am kinda afraid of taking chances though.

Zaxx
05-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Speaking of non-p2p stuff...I have been sorta gifted with the ability to pretty much be able to tell if someone's trustworthy or what have you soon after meeting them (aka a good judge of character)...so I rely on that combined with a good dose of common sense and a dash of wisdom that I have somehow managed to gain considering I'm not even forty..lol.

@TheFox....I remember being told a good while back that you would occasionally give someone a shot at joining your tracker if they came across to you as a worthy 'chance' to take. Tis a rare gesture anymore..good to hear not everyone is case hardened. ;)

TheFoX
05-08-2009, 08:33 PM
@TheFox....I remember being told a good while back that you would occasionally give someone a shot at joining your tracker if they came across to you as a worthy 'chance' to take. Tis a rare gesture anymore..good to hear not everyone is case hardened. ;)

When I first started modding on UK-F, one of the other staff thought I was being way too soft when dealing with leechers, yet some of those guys are the core of filesharing these days. Who'd have thought that someone who didn't give a shit about a community five years ago would be a trusted 0day uploader today.

The fact is that many of our actions are moulded by how we are treated by our peers. Respect breed respect in stable individuals. One of my own staffers was a former hit and runner on a warning.

I always remember one case where I sent a leecher a message saying that if he didn't seed back, his account would be disabled. His response was that he was in so deep that I might as well disable his account. We worked together to help him out of the hole. Each week I would set a target for him to achieve, and when he achieved that target, he was allowed to download another torrent of his choice.

At the end of a two month period, he had regained 'user' status and, more importantly, regained his dignity.

While I disabled a fair few die hard leechers (and IP banned those that kept signing up for new accounts), I also had a good proportion that attained 'user' status. Some even attained 'power user' status, as a way of saying thanks for me being human.

One guy took six months of hard work to attain that 'power user' status, just so he could PM me and say, 'thanks'. The day after I got the PM from him, UK-F was taken down for good...

Then there are those who I trusted implicitly, only for them to burn me. The biggest culprit was a guy that stole my code and circulated parts of it around. Just goes to show that you don't really know who to trust...

Zaxx
05-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Gotta give you props man...amazing that you haven't totally lost faith in the torrent community (outside your site anyway...lol). I recently got a good taste of the 'ya never know' flavor (posted above) and yes...the taste is rather bitter I must say. :dry:

TheFoX
05-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Well, I mingle with a lot of tracker owners and administrators, and I can tell you that feelings towards FST and its members is not favourable, yet I feel different.

To me, if this place was filled with 90% losers and 10% quality, I'd be looking for the quality (I'm not saying what ratio of FST members are crap or quality).

To some, the glass is half empty, but for me the glass is half full, with the potential to top up.

And the real question of this thread is, 'Are we pessimistic or optimistic, and to what degree?'

Zaxx
05-09-2009, 03:17 AM
To me, if this place was filled with 90% losers and 10% quality, I'd be looking for the quality (I'm not saying what ratio of FST members are crap or quality).

To some, the glass is half empty, but for me the glass is half full, with the potential to top up.

And the real question of this thread is, 'Are we pessimistic or optimistic, and to what degree?'

Very true...and I can honestly say I fall on the optimistic side. To what degree tho? Guess for me that would probably vary from situ to situ. Let's face it, there's always gonna be things that we hadn't counted on to go south..then, for me, it's a question of did this person go out of their way to screw me over (premeditated) or was it something that just 'happened'? If it's intentional, I put that person in my crosshairs (which got me an infraction here for public accusation :dry:). This applies to invites as well as real life. Then there's the good ol 'hind sight is 20/20' saying that def applies, but hey...thats how ya learn. As they say...Screw me once, shame on you..screw me twice, shame on me.
Tho there are exceptions that come to mind pretty quick...:naughty:

stoi
05-09-2009, 04:26 AM
I am far to optomistic, an a push over lol

I have got in countless members from here, and when i do i always put in their modcomments "username" From FST.

Cirno bans them (not just for the hell of it) and gets really pissed off that I trusted them in the first place.

Cirno and me are completely different, Cirno wont take any shit, and the highlight of his day is banning members, me, I feel so bloody guilty banning anyone, and i am always willing to give them the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, chance.

When we had the prize draws for consoles, everything worked great, as Harcroft and Slipfinger were honest as the day they were born (even though Harcroft since then and spread some untruths) but I had a sysop that i had known for 2 years, who said he was in the PC Business, so we had a laptop and other things up for grabs, gave him the cash, never seen the fucker again lol

So it doesnt matter if you have known them for 2 minutes, or 2 years, some will be great forever, others will turn on you at the first sign they are geting something.

But even ater all that, I am still far to trusting, and soft.

as for invites.

For my site i will take anyone, if they fuck up, no skin off my nose, but if i never owned BCG, and i was a member of BitmeTV as an example, and i had Invites, i would never ever dream about using them, or just giing them away to anyone, I would have to know them from other places, and i mean know them really well.

There are some good people in this world, but there are a lot of Cunts as well, you just have to sort through the Cunts to find the gems.

From all the giveaways i have done on here, we have 24 members left from FST and 3 of those are banned, remember though pruning, prunes banned members as well.

So out of the 100`s I have got in from here, we only have 21 members left, all the others either got banned and pruned, or just pruned.

It does make you wonder though.

Night0wl
05-09-2009, 06:13 AM
I never understood why tracker staff look at a pruned account as failure. There can be so many different reasons for that happening. Other interests show up in real life. You lose interest. No proper internet for a while. And many other reasons.

I don't have trouble trusting people. I feel I am a pretty good judge of character. But I am realistic, so I won't just give invites to just anyone... seems to be the essence of this poll.

Albo Da Kid
05-09-2009, 06:14 AM
I never understood why tracker staff look at a pruned account as failure. There can be so many different reasons for that happening. Other interests show up in real life. You lose interest. No proper internet for a while. And many other reasons.

They should extend the pruning limit time to at least 3 months

Night0wl
05-09-2009, 06:17 AM

They should extend the pruning limit time to at least 3 months

I really don't see why they should ever be pruned. Forced activity is what pruning does. But that's a whole other matter.

stoi
05-09-2009, 06:27 AM
It is 3 months, if you park your account, and 2 months if you dont.

Whats the point of joining in the first place if you are never going to visit, and get pruned anyway.

I do realise that some trackers are not for everyone, so shit happens, but from the 100`s I have got in from here, to be left with about 20 is pretty shit lol and these are peole that wanted an account, done good posts to get in etc etc. not someone i just dragged from the street and said, come in have a look, they wanted it, and never used it.

Forced activity??

No its not, its just login and thats it.

that is how many members we have had since Dec 2006, we have 29,000 left, thats why we prune, whats the point in keeping 330,000 members if they dont want to be here.

Albo Da Kid
05-09-2009, 06:55 AM
i didnt know bcg gave you 2 months. that seems fair.
some other trackers only give you about 4 weeks.
The reason I said they should extend it, is because sometimes you either forget or you're too busy with stuff in life to even think about torrenting

stoi
05-09-2009, 07:04 AM
We have even made members Uploaders/Vips before if they knew they were going away for more than 3 months, as those dont get pruned.

We have had a few soldiers going to Iraq and Afghanistan, if they tell us we will accomodate them the best we can.

Those are the ones that care a bit about their accounts, so i will help them, its the ones that dont give a toss that we prune, even if you loose your net, you should be able to contact us.

We do help/do our part, if the members cant be arsed to tell us, then sorry, but not much more that we can do IMHO.

bilkenter
05-09-2009, 07:07 AM
We have even made members Uploaders/Vips before if they knew they were going away for more than 3 months, as those dont get pruned.

We have had a few soldiers going to Iraq and Afghanistan, if they tell us we will accomodate them the best we can.

Those are the ones that care a bit about their accounts, so i will help them, its the ones that dont give a toss that we prune, even if you loose your net, you should be able to contact us.

We do help/do our part, if the members cant be arsed to tell us, then sorry, but not much more that we can do IMHO.
You are freaking the best in all bt world mate. Seriously no ass licking but a freaking fact.:D I actually kinda admire you and how you handle certain problems. And the way you communicate with both users and non users is just AWESOME!.

Zaxx
05-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Stoi has always had his head on straight and is a great example of what this BT community needs. Just my humble opinion.
And no, I'm not kissin ass to get in Blackcats...I'm already a member. :P

Cabalo
05-09-2009, 07:13 AM
it's great to see old schoolers like TheFox and Stoi replying at this thread, as it immediately adds another dimension to its whole purpose and meaning.
I'm proudly a member of both their sites, and it's easy to see there's ... something else there, which is always a reflection of their own attitudes towards filesharing, e-communities and most of all, a sense of respect long gone in these places.

after this little off topic, i must say i have invited people from here to some sites, and only once one of them let me down, though his account was disabled for inactivity, as later i found out.
this, if we forget about that notorious friendship scammer that was Dunson, which tricked me and several other great people like Funkin, and gained our confidence; and F.B.I. aka I'm Hot, which is a CosaNostra staffer and is a steaming pile of shit.
It's not that i invite people often to trackers, as in all honesty i can't just look at a newb i haven't seen giving his own opinions and all of the suddenly invite him to those "dream" places.
what i value the most is each person's past history of voicing their opinions, their disagreements, their approvals, etc etc. It's what i think can bind me to sympathize with someone, and promptly fulfilling his requests.
heck, one of the person i invited to some places was someone i disagreed a couple of times, but kept his manners and we discussed it in a civilized way.

So, in a general manner, after quite some time at this place, i tend to think that one can't rush to invite someone without thinking twice. But faith isn't lost.

Night0wl
05-09-2009, 07:19 AM
It is 3 months, if you park your account, and 2 months if you dont.

Whats the point of joining in the first place if you are never going to visit, and get pruned anyway.

I do realise that some trackers are not for everyone, so shit happens, but from the 100`s I have got in from here, to be left with about 20 is pretty shit lol and these are peole that wanted an account, done good posts to get in etc etc. not someone i just dragged from the street and said, come in have a look, they wanted it, and never used it.

Forced activity??

No its not, its just login and thats it.

that is how many members we have had since Dec 2006, we have 29,000 left, thats why we prune, whats the point in keeping 330,000 members if they dont want to be here.

Ok this went way off topic, but you say members don't want to be there, so they are pruned. How many members came here complaining, when you made that keyword thingy? how many asked on countless other sites? Are you saying that those members had zero interest in the site?

I have been deleted on two sites, which I liked and used, just for not logging in for 42 days. Well I was busy and forgot about them. I had a good amount uploaded and downloaded, positive ratio, but for those 42 days I just didn't think to log in.

"Puff" account gone. Forced activity I say.

stoi
05-09-2009, 07:31 AM
I knew this was going to come up.

2 months before the keyword change, we sent out a mass announcement, it was in the Global Announcements in the forums, it was on the Main News page at the very top (we never added anything else because it was so important), and we sent out a mass Email from the forum (which granted did not work 100%)

We then done the keyword change, 24,000 out of 48,000 members went, but we could bring them back, but i was on holiday, so altinertia decided to give them another chance.

Again sent another Announcement out, sent another Email, we cant do mass PMs though, and give them another 6 weeks to do their keyword.

All it was, is 1 button in their profile that they had to press, it was not difficult, but we lost 9,000 members.

So they had 3 1/2 months of us telling them, informing them, the only way we could, and some still couldnt do it.

I am very sorry, but that is their own fault, we done everything in our power, and i still see posts now on forums saying "WTF BCG is still up, Damn i thought it was down and lost my account"

you know, if you live in a cave, then its your own fault. I really do not know what else we could have done, apart from, just not bother with the fake page and the keyword thing.

I even made a thread on here which

A: I didnt have to do
B: In hindsight i wish i had not done it.

PS: and btw, if you were a SPU, you never got pruned either, it was only KL-User-PU that got pruned.

Zaxx
05-09-2009, 07:50 AM
it's great to see old schoolers like TheFox and Stoi replying at this thread, as it immediately adds another dimension to its whole purpose and meaning.
I'm proudly a member of both their sites, and it's easy to see there's ... something else there, which is always a reflection of their own attitudes towards filesharing, e-communities and most of all, a sense of respect long gone in these places.

Well said...tho I'm only a member of one, from my point of view and lengthy experience I can't help but agree 100%. This in a way helps define the meaning of my title..Old Skool..;)

this, if we forget about that notorious friendship scammer that was Dunson, which tricked me and several other great people like Funkin, and gained our confidence; and F.B.I. aka I'm Hot, which is a CosaNostra staffer and is a steaming pile of shit.

Oh wonderful...didn't hear about what Dunson pulled, I remember giving him a TL invite a good while back..:frusty:

Cabalo
05-11-2009, 01:58 AM
if you want to see the full story, then read here: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-once-upon-time-332685

IdolEyes787
05-11-2009, 02:05 AM
He still tries to get back in .He's had about a dozen odd other dupes disabled since then.

Cabalo
05-11-2009, 02:07 AM
He still tries to get back in .He's had about a dozen odd other dupes disabled since then.
so much for his intentions about not coming back... :noes:

Zaxx
05-11-2009, 02:54 AM
if you want to see the full story, then read here: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-once-upon-time-332685

Pathetic little bastard....but I admit, he fooled me into giving him TL. :dry:

Can't believe FC got him into fsc...I thought me and FC were pretty tight and I've been in P2P for over 8 years...I see where I stand...:cry:
J/K...lmao...I'll get there eventually. :01:

bilkenter
05-11-2009, 05:02 AM
at least i share the same vision with the guy on some issues

Cabalo
05-11-2009, 05:35 AM
and which ones are they ?
disrupting people's confidence in an entire community by instigating the "trust no one" ideology ?

bilkenter
05-11-2009, 05:56 AM
and which ones are they ?
disrupting people's confidence in an entire community by instigating the "trust no one" ideology ?
I merely share his opinion on high lvl trackers.Most of them are worthless and overrated, aside from specialized trackers.

The Flying Cow
05-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Well said...tho I'm only a member of one, from my point of view and lengthy experience I can't help but agree 100%. This in a way helps define the meaning of my title..Old Skool..;)

Oh wonderful...didn't hear about what Dunson pulled, I remember giving him a TL invite a good while back..:frusty:

Thanks for pointing out the thread, and I must say I thought it was very courageous and impressive.

More people should be upfront like that, and in so doing help the rest. The fact is I experienced pretty much the same disappointment as dunson after I stopped having that "torrent" bug biting my arse as it did for 2 or so (perhaps 2 and half?) odd months last year.

It really is all a waste of time. I want stuff, I grab it - in that sense the usenet is more honest and straight-to-the-point. If I want to have friends, I make them in real life.

Will conclude by saying dunson never disappointed me, I always liked his attitude and kindness.

`*PS*
It's a biting attack, as I like to speak in extremes, though I will admit some people (at a certain tracker I'm thinking about right now) can be really nice, and helpful, and amazing, and make the BT experience more interesting. Nevertheless, that is not the rule. For most cases an impersonal site like TL will fit your needs.

As for the theme of the thread, even if bilkenter was now banned, I voted "yes" though I do at times take chances with people.

You get bumps along the way, as people can be very different to what you initially expected, or thought. The more unsettling experiences the less you tend to be open, but I like to be open and try to get along well with others so I'll give those I conceive as being worthy a shot - in that sense I do go in with a prejudice, even if I try to avoid making one too soon.

mrnobody
05-15-2009, 01:28 AM

you now share the banhammer as well :rolleyes:

brotherdoobie
05-15-2009, 03:09 AM
Hand jobs are pretty safe. Usually.

-bd

Swift
05-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Hand jobs are pretty safe. Usually.

-bd

if you use gloves

Zaxx
05-19-2009, 02:23 AM

I don't even wanna ask....:rolleyes:

pikapika
05-21-2009, 10:45 AM

banhammer? it is hilarious, as i said earlier i wont abide any unjust decision, However gotta admit, this just thought me a valuable lesson. I will never reject any tracker anymore, even if i dont need it, i will get it and make it a little more difficult for others who are actually in need of such trackers. BTw i dont actually see benny around here anymore for some reason anyway this place has gotten a lot more boring now. So wont bother much. now someone can ban me again and hope that i wont be back. I really don't enjoy this anymore than you guyz do.

brento
05-21-2009, 10:57 AM
I would never give an invite to any FST member that I didn't really know. Most people here are traders

Benjamin
05-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I've had my own problems with inviting people, I had a good friend I invited to one of my favorite trackers, I trusted him. A year later, he decides to cheat one day and my account gets disabled along with his. So yea, I have trust issues, I leave my invites to rot and let other people take the responsibility of inviting new members.

The_Martinator
05-21-2009, 12:26 PM
No. The thing is, imo you should trust the site where you met him. for instance this is NOT a good place to find trustworthy people. Unless you've both been members here for a longer period of time. But like Benjamin's example says, people can change.

VinX
05-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I would never give an invite to any FST member that I didn't really know. Most people here are traders

+1
but i would investigate whether he has gave up trading and try to be his friend

Cabalo
05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
No. The thing is, imo you should trust the site where you met him. for instance this is NOT a good place to find trustworthy people. Unless you've both been members here for a longer period of time. But like Benjamin's example says, people can change.
bollox... that's just an excuse for sites to try to consider themselves leeter than others.
a good member is anywhere, a bad member is everywhere.

IdolEyes787
05-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I've had my own problems with inviting people, I had a good friend I invited to one of my favorite trackers, I trusted him. A year later, he decides to cheat one day and my account gets disabled along with his. So yea, I have trust issues, I leave my invites to rot and let other people take the responsibility of inviting new members.

I think that it is reasonable to disable your account if you invite a cheater but I don't see the logic in what you described.Especially since it was like a year later.

bollox... that's just an excuse for sites to try to consider themselves leeter than others.
a good member is anywhere, a bad member is everywhere.

Obviously traders have to get their accounts from somewhere,they just don't materialize out of thin air.
I've tried to make the point with tracker staff that although FST does have it's fair share of shady types they don't originate here.Hard to trade a FTN or the like account without being on the tracker first.
Like you say making the presumption that you are "bad" just because you happen to post on FST ( or "good" because you belong to wheelmods) is the height of stupidity.

Funkin'
05-21-2009, 07:29 PM
which tricked me and several other great people like Funkin

Honestly, I don't remember inviting him anywhere. But then again, I have a horrible memory due to my past. If I did invite him anywhere it had to been a long time ago.

And...he said he traded the account to whatever site I invited him to. If he did trade the account than I surely didn't suffer the consenquences(thankfully). I am grateful for you posting that thread Cabalo, as I never saw it. And because of dunson I will certainly think twice before deciding to invite any respected members from here that I really don't know myself.

And you're definitely right about I'm Hot(<-dupe trade account) being bt scum...

Stellar
05-21-2009, 07:45 PM
If I know someone well enough, it's not what I'd consider taking a chance. Out of the times I have taken a chance with someone in the past few years, only two have turned out to be bad out of the dozens I've invited. Even so, I've been ever more cautious about who I invite since then. There are a few people on this forum I'd invite to any site just by knowing their opinions on certain issues, etc. 99% of the people on FST will never even be considered by me because this place is crawling with the kind of people who have threatened my accounts and those of others in the past.

The only way to trust someone on the internet is to talk to them and get a feel for their personality, and perhaps get to know them in a way that's closer to real life. There really are people who just scream "shady" even though they have no apparent history of trading or whatever.

cstrik3
05-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Yes.

Fucking boring story really.

susiserken
05-21-2009, 09:40 PM
with good friends no, but online deffo i dont trade anyways so im good :P

fstfukinDaBest
05-22-2009, 01:39 AM
yes to post question

I will never use my invites people suck.

Paracetamol
05-22-2009, 01:46 AM
I'm afraid to take chances with people because they may be as big of an asshole as I am, if not worse. That's no good.

shipwreck
05-22-2009, 03:02 AM
What if they are named Ibuprofen and promise you not cause any headaches?

Paracetamol
05-23-2009, 02:31 AM
What if they are named Ibuprofen and promise you not cause any headaches?

Maybe, but I'd prefer they be named Codeine, and promise to keep me happily sedated.

Cabalo
05-23-2009, 02:41 AM
yes to post question

I will never use my invites people suck.
i also hope i never see you asking for one.

bumrocks
05-23-2009, 03:21 AM
I answered yes...

But occasionally I do give invites...I am not careless about it and I regularly check up on how they are doing. I consider them a reflection of me & my judgement. BUT you never know...I got fooled last week on a BitMe invite. I had been in a giving and trusting mood and it was taken advantage of...I haven't given up on people but am back to being leery again...

Part of my problem with invites at FST is due to the fact that it seems so common for new users or occasional users to be making requests. They have offered nothing to the site and there is no "history" to try and make sound judgments from. Or they have a trading background. Let me also add that so many of the requests are just bad! No reason or bad reasons for example. I would have to figure that some of these bad requests might be from potential good users but they shoot themself in the foot from the get go...

Looking forward to the day when I can view the giveaway section again...Regardless, of all the perils, I do like to help people.

Lovestoned
05-23-2009, 08:17 AM
For me I'd do it discreetly and only after observing them for some time or two.

I'm really glad there was one or two guy here in this forum taking a chance with me though, I didn't prove them wrong that's for sure.

:)

The_Martinator
05-23-2009, 11:46 AM
For me I'd do it discreetly and only after observing them for some time or two.

I'm really glad there was one or two guy here in this forum taking a chance with me though, I didn't prove them wrong that's for sure.

:)

Oh, what a nice story!!! :D

Well, sometimes it's good to take chances, but a sign on who not to take chances on is when they don't know any english at all.

Stellar
05-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, sometimes it's good to take chances, but a sign on who not to take chances on is when they don't know any english at all.
This. This so much.

I know it sounds terrible, but if someone has really poor english skills it sets off the biggest red flag in my mind. I've actually invited people to some trackers in the past because they have excellent diction and decent grammatical skills. :lol:

(And yeah, I know my use of grammar and stuff isn't perfect either.)

soulreaper
05-23-2009, 12:29 PM
A site's invite policy greatly dictates if their members would take a chance or not. Also depends how largehearted the inviter is. Sometimes I feel sites and users value their invitations as solid gold which isn't really required. Chill out a bit and go for it.

But as a thumb-rule,most people wouldn't invite randoms to a site which have invite rules that could jeopardise the inviter's account.

n00bz0r
05-23-2009, 12:59 PM
I clicked 'Yes'.
People do not consider FST to be a nice place, or a place thats worth their time, but in spite of that, they stay here for reasons unknown.
In all probability, I will never post a thread 'Giving Away' invites to other trackers, but i will try my best to fill up well written requests once i get to know this place a little better, and its members even more so.
Moving on, everyone has taken chances here. Its the internet we are talkin about. How many torrenters do you know in RL (friends?). I guess every time you add someone to your invite tree on a tracker,you take a calculated risk. The only thing you can do is check up his past on trackers he is already a member of, or on the forums/boards he chooses to stay active on, or in some cases, get to know him a lil better on IM.

Thats all there is to it, and its been great going through this thread. :)

shipwreck
05-23-2009, 01:04 PM
The first knock-out criteria for me is a heart icon in the thread title. That's never a good sign.

English skills are really secondary as long as I have a feeling that he / she is a good person, means a cuddly, sweet panda, inspiring me to write haikus. But since I'm a miserable bastard, that doesn't happen often.

cinephilia
05-23-2009, 01:43 PM
yeah :sick:

but if someone has really poor english skills it sets off the biggest red flag in my mind

moron, world is full of people who use other language than your "nazi" english... deal with it!
I am really tired read this kind of shit everyday (from people who know only one language)
try be more tolerant...
it's not a matter of tolerance but a matter of facts.
people who speak a terrible english generally don't really use their accounts on US torrentsites (and it's quite logic).
they're generally into dubbed films and just want to get into trackers for collection purpose.
fortunately, there are still some serious users who grab subtitles and really use their accounts but actually, most of the people with poor english skills i invited don't.

IdolEyes787
05-23-2009, 01:44 PM

but if someone has really poor english skills it sets off the biggest red flag in my mind

moron, world is full of people who use other language than your "nazi" english... deal with it!
I am really tired read this kind of shit everyday (from people who know only one language)
try be more tolerant...

I feel the same way. Unfortunately ( and I have seen it time and time again here on FST ) people equate the ability to be able to write well with being trustworthy.That simply isn't true or the world would be populated with honest lawyers and politicians.

In fairness though if you were to go simply by percentages people from certain regions ( I owe it to cultural differences more than true lack of ethics ) are far more likely to trade .

n00bz0r
05-23-2009, 01:58 PM

try be more tolerant...
that is a very harsh comment you made there.
What stellar said is pure logic if nothin else.
What use could a non-eng speaking person have with a site that tracks shows and movies that are not in his native language, or the one he understands? (learning the language? in that case, there is the Rosetta stone on demonoid of all places, or for the more security oriented, TL (it has been infiltrated though)) :P

Personally, i know 4 languages, and english is not my first language either.But,even then, i was compelled to defend a logical post here.

The_Martinator
05-23-2009, 02:28 PM

try be more tolerant...

I originally wrote it, Stellar just agreed with me. Attack me! Oh, wait you can't cause my first language also isn't english.

Also, as it has been said, it's pure logic.

PS: I hate it when people don't know english well, enter english speaking sites and then don't want to learn and improve their skills. That's just dumb, imo.

Bone.W.Machine
05-23-2009, 02:34 PM
No, never.

TheFoX
05-23-2009, 07:10 PM
I was offered an invite by KFlint once. He obviously felt he could trust me, and that was before he knew who I was.

shipwreck
05-23-2009, 07:16 PM
It's not just about giving an invite, it should be seen both ways. Finding someone trustworthy to invite you is probably just as difficult.

Enzo
05-23-2009, 07:36 PM
no never

sez
05-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves....
They may not be the english mavens that you are but at least they try,some of these people are self teaching themselves how to write in a foreign language,no teachers no nothing,try and travel the world if you haven't,it will rid you off your ignorance and you'll be humbled.
I won't go to the extremes,but take the example of switzerland.the language of instruction there is french and or german,now how do you expect the average public schooled individual from there to come to this board and articulate themselves properly in your mother tongue?
I won't call anyone a bigot but using this as a pretext to deny someone an invite sounds like it to me.

shipwreck
05-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Not that I disagree with your main point, don't get me wrong, but why should a polyglot Swiss dude / gal have more difficulties to articulate him-/herself in English? If anything, growing up in a bilingual (multilingual) environment makes it easier for someone to learn a foreign language.

Paracetamol
05-23-2009, 09:31 PM
try be more tolerant...

It isn't an issue of intolerance. It's an issue of people posting on an English-speaking forum that won't make every effort to acclimatize.

I don't go to Spanish-speaking forums and post "HOLA MOTHERBITCHES" in an introductory thread. That would be disrespectful and certainly frowned upon. It's not wrong for people here to expect other posters to use proper grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. Like you, for example. You're fucking up the curve, man.

Stellar
05-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Test

The_Martinator
05-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves....
They may not be the english mavens that you are but at least they try,some of these people are self teaching themselves how to write in a foreign language,no teachers no nothing,try and travel the world if you haven't,it will rid you off your ignorance and you'll be humbled.
I won't go to the extremes,but take the example of switzerland.the language of instruction there is french and or german,now how do you expect the average public schooled individual from there to come to this board and articulate themselves properly in your mother tongue?
I won't call anyone a bigot but using this as a pretext to deny someone an invite sounds like it to me.

I support those that are trying, but tbh some aren't even trying.

sheriff 01
05-24-2009, 12:03 AM
The only member here i would take a chance on is Malua. He seems like a standup guy who needs to be viewed as a source of inspiration for many members here. :drunk::stars::wank:

Stellar
05-24-2009, 12:07 AM
I agree with you on Malua. The guy is extremely responsible with his invites!

:shutup:

Cabalo
05-24-2009, 05:12 AM
Lol @ you 2 fuckers. :D
i'm kinda lost here, where's the giveaway thread from that guy ?

Stellar
05-24-2009, 07:05 AM
He closed it :lol:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invite-giveaways-and-requests-90/t-big-giveaway-and-req-ftn-ptn-351419

Cabalo
05-24-2009, 03:29 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invite-giveaways-and-requests-90/t-big-giveaway-and-req-ftn-ptn-351419
oh, i remember that thread.
it had a pretty good entertainment value.

The_Martinator
05-24-2009, 03:31 PM
That thread was a just a trade offering thread ''disguised'' as a GA. Pretty strange it wasn't moved if you ask me.

sheriff 01
05-24-2009, 07:39 PM
oh, i remember that thread.
it had a pretty good entertainment value.

I agree 100% on entertainment value. Malua is one hell of a comedian who likes to disquise his dirtbag self in giveaways which are ridiculous
to say the least. Malua, go find yourself a girlfriend or boyfriend and get a fuckin life you dirtbag, bottomfeeding, leper of society! :01:

colbert
05-29-2009, 03:02 AM
I don't trust people.

Albo Da Kid
05-29-2009, 03:05 AM
what the fuk is going on. who is maula

Col. Skillz
05-29-2009, 03:15 AM
I never rely on anybody else, and yes, have a hard time taking chances on people. They aren't to be trusted :noes:

Albo Da Kid
05-29-2009, 03:46 AM
I never rely on anybody else, and yes, have a hard time taking chances on people. They aren't to be trusted :noes:Like a friend at my job says, "os dinherio os dinherio"

It's all about the money, profit and interest. Trust comes by hard when those 3 are involved

Funkin'
05-29-2009, 04:14 AM
Malua, go find yourself a girlfriend or boyfriend and get a fuckin life you dirtbag, bottomfeeding, leper of society! :01:

:lol: That was harsh...