PDA

View Full Version : Nicotine Withdrawal

CrabGirl
05-12-2009, 07:41 AM
is the pigs arse.

I've finally got my head to the place where I'm attempting giving up again. After the last failed attempt I knew I'd try again as I genuinely want to stop smoking and don't enjoy it. Which is why I didn't change my sig.

It's been about 36 hours now. I'm using Nicotine patches and haven't got the urge to smoke at all. Stood outside with the smokers to avoid that "I'm missing out on the chat" feeling and didn't want one. I've got a job interview today though and I can feel the nerves creeping up on me, and the urge for tobacco growing stronger and stronger. I'm not giving in though. It's only an urge and I'm human and stronger than my urges.

:01:

Skiz
05-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Wahey! :smilie4:

Sounds like you're on your way! You've got the right attitude at least. I tried quitting several times with the patch and gum (:sick:) but was never able to. When I finally did kick it, it was nothing but good 'ol stubborn will power. Kick the habit one urge at a time. It really does get easier and easier, but you've gotta struggle for several months unfortunately.

Skiz
05-12-2009, 08:11 AM
BD has just quit as well. Missouri loves company.

CrabGirl
05-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Groan! Ha ha.

I'm actually not feeling too bad. I think the difference this time is that I'm not doing it because I think I have to. I'm doing it because I want to.

Alien5
05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
The easy part was stopping. It's still difficult to not buy them, sometimes i light one up to try it, i taste it, then put it out and say Eugh, because they really taste bad after you've stopped.

also, can you imagine having to breath with that oxygen mask thing and wheel the bottle around with everywhere you go, that's if you don't die young.

CrabGirl
05-12-2009, 11:00 AM
That's exactly what I don't want to do. I'm finally at a place in my life where I am really happy and want to enjoy it for as long as I can.

Alien5
05-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Exactly, It's not worth it, i would rather live a few more years than end up a disease ridden smoker.

CrabGirl
05-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Yes. Although job interview nerves have just hit me like a bag of shit and I'm sorely tempted. I won't though. I'll just go and moodily kick the shed wall or something.

Skiz
05-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Chewing gum helps.

Coffee just makes you jittery and wanna smoke.

Alien5
05-12-2009, 11:29 AM
On the tube i used to get panic and still do sometimes when its crowded so I have a relaxation album on my ipod, i close my eyes and play it, it's like sounds of real river with birds tweeting and the water sounds nice and calming and i imagine im somewhere else (if you open your eyes though you get a shock, you're not really in a Forrest by a river, you're on the Piccadilly Line) i can meditate now quite easily even on a noisy crowded train without the music. you can do anything you put you're mind to.

Something Else
05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
How many people have you killed exactly.

Something Else
05-12-2009, 11:51 AM
How many people have you killed exactly.

How many people did you kill before you found the relaxation tape.

/fixed

Alien5
05-12-2009, 12:02 PM
none.

Albo Da Kid
05-12-2009, 12:03 PM
from experience i can say that the best way to quit is by exercising. running, swiming and every other exercise that can improve your respiratory system

After a short period of time, your lungs will not even want it anymore.

It doesn't have to be rough training. Just 15-20 minutes a day of jogging will do it. You'll get in such a good shape that you wont even think about cigs anymore physically and mentally, because you don't want to ruin what you just worked this hard for.

Skweeky
05-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I hate to say it, but Dildo has a point.

Fags taste double vile after cardio work.

I quit completely the minute I found out I was having Ben. These days, I have the occasional one when I have a drink ( which is like once every 1-2 weeks).

To be honest, if no one else was smoking, I wouldn't even bother.

Albo Da Kid
05-12-2009, 12:58 PM
These days, I have the occasional one when I have a drink ( which is like once every 1-2 weeks).
Now you're probably able to quit whenever you want to even if you start it again. That's the beauty of it. Once you learn how to quit, it gets easier.

The_Martinator
05-12-2009, 01:03 PM
from experience i can say that the best way to quit is by exercising. running, swiming and every other exercise that can improve your respiratory system

After a short period of time, your lungs will not even want it anymore.

It doesn't have to be rough training. Just 15-20 minutes a day of jogging will do it. You'll get in such a good shape that you wont even think about cigs anymore physically and mentally, because you don't want to ruin what you just worked this hard for.

Or you can do what I do. Be an asthmatic. I don't know if you guys have ever seen one during a seizure. You wouldn't have smoked if you did.

But at least I have a cure. I use it and I'm allright right away. When you destroy your lungs with cigs, there's nothing that can be done...

100%
05-12-2009, 01:05 PM
liquorice & chocolate prevent from want of smoke i find.

Does your better half smoke? I f so please do not hassle him about it.

CrabGirl
05-12-2009, 03:06 PM
He does yes, but he is being very supportive and considerate which is really helping. Just had a very hard job interview with tests and everything and still didn't give in afterwards.

Skweeky
05-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Did the tests include building a tower of lego? :unsure:

brotherdoobie
05-14-2009, 04:46 AM
It's been one month since I've smoked or had any nicotine in my system. The first five days were awful for me. I was a major cunt and practically unbearable; however, my
wife is a saint and she helped by slapping me silly, often.

I've been really craving nicotine the last few days. I've been fidgety, anxious, and a bit grouchy. I almost bought a pack tonight, but I didn't. I resisted the urge and played a bit of soccer (football) with my son Corey, and I felt a little better, after that.

It's a bitch to quit for most and the odds are against it, but physically I feel far better, and that is all right by me.

CG, I ran like the wind in the backyard with my son, btw.

Peace, doobs

CrabGirl
05-14-2009, 06:11 AM
I've been mostly ok. Although I did have slight (major) tantrums last night. Yup I've been keeping busy and distracting myself. Every day I tell myself "it's just for today" so it doesn't seem like such a mammoth task. Feel great though, and am enjoying the challenge in a weird perverse way.

Good luck BD! You have my wholehearted support.

brotherdoobie
05-14-2009, 06:35 AM
"It's just for today" are words to live by, indeed.

I'm a creature of habit and weak as water, usually. Self denial seems perverse to me, yet I feel empowered.

Good luck to you, also, CG. :01:

Peace, bd

CrabGirl
05-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Try not to think of it as self-denial as it's only the addiction which has made you feel worse before you feel better when you smoke. Think of it more as rewarding yourself by not smoking, and investing in your future.

Alien5
05-14-2009, 04:32 PM
and they taste like shit too.

CrabGirl
05-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Grahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Fucksocks

That is all.

brotherdoobie
05-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Grahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Fucksocks

That is all.

Agree to the max!

-bd :angry:

Biggles
05-14-2009, 09:31 PM
It was a long time ago that I gave up and we didn't have patches and what not then but I really found chewing gum helped.

Alien5
05-14-2009, 09:44 PM
smoking chewing gum is dangerous.

Biggles
05-14-2009, 09:46 PM
smoking chewing gum is dangerous.

By the time it is alight you have lost the notion though.

j2k4
05-14-2009, 09:52 PM
You hang in there, Faye.

You don't want to do it the hard way.

Alien5
05-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Cold turkey is the Hard way.

Villalltheway
05-14-2009, 11:23 PM
These days, I have the occasional one when I have a drink ( which is like once every 1-2 weeks).
Now you're probably able to quit whenever you want to even if you start it again. That's the beauty of it. Once you learn how to quit, it gets easier.

I dont really agree with this, having the one every now again is how u relapse and start again, i think a total ban of it is the way forward.

brotherdoobie
05-15-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm going cold turkey and it's got me on the run. My eyes are wide open...

-bd :fist:

j2k4
05-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Cold turkey is the Hard way.

No.

The hard way is having the heart attack first.

brotherdoobie
05-15-2009, 01:58 AM
A heart attack would help my resolve. Pathetic and sad, but life can be a drag.
Pun intended.

-bd :mellow:

brotherdoobie
05-23-2009, 01:45 AM
How goes the quittage, fair Crab? Five weeks without a puff for me...meh.

Peace, doobs

CrabGirl
05-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Alright until this weekend when I went camping and cracked over a beer in the sunshine. Wasn't major though, and I'm not beating myself up about it. I haven't since though. Now I know that scenario is a dangerpoint I'll take precautions next time we go away.

Skweeky
05-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah, it's hard when you're having a drink.

I tend to have a few ciggies when I have a drink. Doesn't happy very often these days though.

CrabGirl
05-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Is that because you don't have the opportunity to drink very often?

I've been ok with booze until then, I think it was sitting in the sunshine with that holiday relaxed feeling. I know now though.

Skweeky
05-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Well yeah, I am still breastfeeding and it's just too much hassle, plus there's always the chance he will wake up throughout the night and it's no fun dealing with a screaming baby when you are still a bit tipsy.

I'm not that bothered about it though. I tend to have a wee glass of wine on Friday night and that's it.

We were out camping this weekend as well and I had a ciggie then together with a wee half bottle of wine. I don't have a problem not having them otherwise though.

It really is just a change of mindset. Cigarettes are now something I am allowed to have every now and then, but I don't crave them anymore.

It's just that I truly enjoy having a wee glass of something and a ciggie to go with it maybe once a week.

I'll be happy if I can keep that up.

CrabGirl
05-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Well yeah, I am still breastfeeding and it's just too much hassle, plus there's always the chance he will wake up throughout the night and it's no fun dealing with a screaming baby when you are still a bit tipsy.

I'm not that bothered about it though. I tend to have a wee glass of wine on Friday night and that's it.

We were out camping this weekend as well and I had a ciggie then together with a wee half bottle of wine. I don't have a problem not having them otherwise though.

It really is just a change of mindset. Cigarettes are now something I am allowed to have every now and then, but I don't crave them anymore.

It's just that I truly enjoy having a wee glass of something and a ciggie to go with it maybe once a week.

I'll be happy if I can keep that up.

I'll be happy if I can get to where you are now. I'm nearly there I reckon. Did you take Ben camping?

Rat Faced
05-26-2009, 03:17 PM
I think he put the tent up for them.

Skweeky
05-26-2009, 03:19 PM
What are you implying? :o

Yeah, we did take him camping. He loved it. Just made sure he was wrapped up nicely in a big fleece sleeping bag. He slept like, well, like a baby.

Rat Faced
05-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Ironically, I ran out of Cigs when I posted about Ben putting the tent up

Gem doesn't like modern technology and Skweeky's well.. a girl, so it must have been him.

/me runs

Barbarossa
05-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I didn't know tents were modern technology :unsure:

Rat Faced
05-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I didn't know tents were modern technology :unsure:

She wasn't staying in a teepee, one of these Modern "Up in 30 seconds and hope to fuck it it's not too windy" jobbies..

Skweeky
05-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

brotherdoobie
06-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Two months without a drag, ftw.

-bd

Albo Da Kid
06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
i just started smoking again after about two weeks ago. I'm tryign to enjoy it as much as i can before i quit again.
Right now the most enjoyment i get out of a cig is right after i finish work and i smoke about two in a row while walking to the train station while thinking about life. It's slowly starting to become a habit and i know im going to miss it when i quit again.. in a few weeks

knivesreturns
06-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Easiest way to quit smoking is to break the chain of smoking.

Albo Da Kid
06-06-2009, 12:12 AM
and join a public forum like this pretending to be a female

Alien5
06-06-2009, 07:59 AM
do you drink piss?

Barbarossa
06-08-2009, 08:54 AM

What the fuck does that mean?

CrabGirl
06-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Doing well, not gone mad yet. x

Snee
06-08-2009, 07:14 PM

It's a chain, of smoking. Which you need to break. Otherwise you won't quit smoking. Easily.

Snee
06-08-2009, 07:14 PM
brainsplode.

That is hardcore.

brotherdoobie
06-08-2009, 08:39 PM

It's a chain, of smoking. Which you need to break. Otherwise you won't quit smoking. Easily.

You get the special people, SnnY. It's a gift.

-bd

brotherdoobie
06-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Ice, odd, respect. Word.
Word up.

Word to the muther, to the max, and fuck all.

:cheers:

worldpease
06-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Yesterday after like three years I smoked five Red Marlboro Cigarettes.
The thing is that a few years back I had this job at a video rental store and there was this guy that work the night shift but he hung out anyways and he used to smoke a cigarette now and then thought I always got the impression he did it just for the 'cool' part of it, anyway I started having a cig too from time to time, not even a pack in all that time but still I never felt anything 'special' or anything...
so long story short, yesterday wile cleaning out stuff I found that pack and since I was bored (I know, the stupidest of reasons) I said 'what the heck' and went out and smoked two cigs, Wow I don't remember ever feeling like that before, at first I was kinda dizzy but it was such a fun sensation, so I went in and had a glass of soda, and later I smoked three more cigs but since it started to stink I stop; but now I know why people smoke, it does give you that chillin' feeling, like very relaxed, thought it lasted too little i think.

Albo Da Kid
06-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Wow I don't remember ever feeling like that before, at first I was kinda dizzy but it was such a fun sensation, so I went in and had a glass of soda, and later I smoked three more cigs but since it started to stink I stop; but now I know why people smoke, it does give you that chillin' feeling, like very relaxed, thought it lasted too little i think.
I used to get the same feeling when i first started smoking. You got dizzy because you're not used to it. In the beginning my eyes used to get watery and i'd get lazy. I couldn't inhale proper as well but after a couple of days the dizziness feeling disappeared and i'd start tokking pig puffs to feel the nicotine rush. It got to the point where i was chain smoking 4 cigs one after the other, took a break and did the same right after.

I had to quit because i started to feel like a tomato can. I went out of shape and everything. One night i went out for a jog at midnight cause i couldn't sleep, and my lungs gave up not even after a half a mile distance. I said fuk it, im quitting and i didnt touch cigs again for about a year.
Now I just started working and it's been a little mentally tough on me and I started to smoke again but this time Lights so i don't fuk up the lungs as quick.
Im thinking of quitting soon and i know I can but at the same time i don't want to because at the moment that's the only enjoyment im gettign out of the day, smoking a few cigs and thinking about life and shit

Also my job can get so boring.. The time goes by so slow and I have a hard time dealing with the stress of having to deal with the ppl that i would'nt normally interact with in the everyday-life so sometimes I go out to the back and smoke a few cigs, think about stuff, and calm my self down. I have to say, those little breaks help me out a lot to kill the day quicker

worldpease
06-11-2009, 03:55 AM
I used to get the same feeling when i first started smoking. You got dizzy because you're not used to it. In the beginning my eyes used to get watery and i'd get lazy. I couldn't inhale proper as well but after a couple of days the dizziness feeling disappeared and i'd start tokking pig puffs to feel the nicotine rush.
Yeah, that is what I thought too, that may be that time before I was not inhaling properly or something, cos now I did get a horrible sensation in my throat and nose
and felt like I was gonna cry at first, lol. And as you say, now I can breathe the smoke in without feeling like coughing.
And I do remember that some of the guys at my last job used to take the coffee-smoking break, for me it was only the coffee or a coke :dry: .
Hey, and do you think smoking before bed helps you have a better night sleep, cos I could swear it did for me these past few days.