PDA

View Full Version : My Firewall Slows Down My Internet Connection

phAnt0m buRn
09-24-2003, 08:04 PM
I don't know why it does it, but Zone Alarm Pro 4 and Sygate Personal Firewall slow down my internet connection like mad. Why?

TheJkWhoSaysNi
09-24-2003, 08:19 PM
Well, if you have 2 installed that could happen. Keep one or the other, it should be fine.

mancode20
09-24-2003, 08:22 PM
I only use one (Norton Personal Firewall 2003) but I have a different question regarding it...why does it take so long to load at start-up? Do all the firewalls work like that? If someone can suggest a firewall that loads instantly or at least quicker than Norton's, I may end up using that. Thanks in advance!

phAnt0m buRn
09-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi@24 September 2003 - 20:19
Well, if you have 2 installed that could happen. Keep one or the other, it should be fine.
I had only one installed. Zone Alarm at first, then Sygate.

balamm
09-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Sygate will be slower if you have a lot of crap like msn messenger installed. It examines dlls for changes in running programs that try to access the net. It's just doing a better job than most firewalls do. You could disable some features but then you might as well use norton or macaffee or nothing at all.

Norton loads slow because anything norton makes for desktop computers is stuffed with shit that takes over your pc. Kinda like aol.
If you insist on using norton, look for the symantec client firewall, version 5 I think. It's similar to the Norton corporate antivirus. Very low drain on the system but not much different in appearance from desktop norton firewall.