PDA

View Full Version : Usenetserver offering accounts for $10/mo for life

unoriginal
05-14-2009, 01:15 AM
https://accounts.usenetserver.com/special/

$10/mo for the life of your account, offer valid for new subscriptions only.

Does anyone have any recent experience with Usenetserver? The last time I think I used them was when Dwight Ringdahl was still running the place before he sold it to Highwinds.

SonsOfLiberty
05-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Highwinds sound like Astraweb at least so I've heard Astraweb stores data on Highwinds, I might be wrong. But Astraweb is only $1 more and are highly reguarded as the best, well tied with Giganews.

saulin
05-14-2009, 03:14 AM
I used usenetserver.com like 6 years ago. Back then, they had lots of issues with incompletes but that was 6 years ago at least. They have been around for a while. That's $10/mo with unlimited speed? It sounds like a deal depending on their retention. Remember that Astraweb has 270 days of retention already for $11/mo.

ericab
05-14-2009, 03:58 AM
im with astraweb

ill NEVER switch.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

do your homework.

viva l'astraweb !

(thanks for letting us know though, srsly)

unoriginal
05-14-2009, 05:09 AM
Im not advocating switching to UNS. Ive been with Astraweb for over a year now and have nothing but good things to say about them. Except for a couple small glitches getting the account set up I have been very happy with their service. Im not about to change for $1/mo. Also they are located on the West Coast like I am and that means several thousand fewer miles between me and the news server I am downloading from.

ericab
05-14-2009, 05:32 AM
Highwinds sound like Astraweb at least so I've heard Astraweb stores data on Highwinds, I might be wrong. But Astraweb is only $1 more and are highly reguarded as the best, well tied with Giganews.

astraweb is their own entity, in no way associated with highwinds.
in other words.. astraweb is not a reseller, they sell themsevles and own their own network/fibre channel drives. (same with giganews....)
:fst:

SonsOfLiberty
05-14-2009, 03:04 PM
They are, they have data stored on their high winds server, it was mentioned in another thrad about batman, check the batman thread.

UsenetGuy
05-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Astraweb run their own backend, highwinds is an entirely seperate organization.

SonsOfLiberty
05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm quoting you here:

I think astraweb were probably asked to remove it for copyright infringement, seems to be there on a highwinds server.
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-newsgroups-79/t-thedarkknight20081080pbluraydtsx264-esir-348588

Were you just saying highwinds as in the "name of the server" or as in highwinds company.......?

UsenetGuy
05-14-2009, 04:21 PM
On that post what I meant was I think astraweb were asked to remove it for copyright infringement but I checked on highwinds-media and they still have it. I could have worded the post a bit better :P

SonsOfLiberty
05-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Ok, gotcha now :)

UsenetGuy
05-14-2009, 06:47 PM
One very important thing for anyone reading this thread. There is no EU server.