PDA

View Full Version : Time In Your Lives When Pride Stood In The Way....

showstopper496
09-24-2003, 11:47 PM
of what you felt was the right thing to do?

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 12:02 AM
someone please answer this is important

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 12:14 AM
if someone is reading this please answer

bigboab
09-25-2003, 12:18 AM
Just tell us what pride stopped you from doing and we will consider your redemption. :P

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 12:20 AM
^ i have to write a essay on this, and the topic asks to write a one-page essay about a time in your lives when your pride sood in the the way of what you felt was the right thing to do? Please help me out i have to present this in front of the class orally :( please help me out

bigboab
09-25-2003, 12:23 AM
Give me ten minutes.

balamm
09-25-2003, 12:24 AM
You have no pride? If you do, it should have stood in the way of you trying to get others to do your assignment for you or at least do the thinking for you. ;)

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 12:26 AM
^ i have lot of other homework and cant think of anything please help me out

Somebody1234
09-25-2003, 12:26 AM
Don't you even have enough pride not to show us that you can't wait 15 minutes for people to answer you?

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by bigboab@25 September 2003 - 00:23
Give me ten minutes.
take your time thanks man!

P.S doing my algebra 2 homework right now damm hard :(

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Somebody1234@25 September 2003 - 00:26
Don't you even have enough pride not to show us that you can't wait 15 minutes for people to answer you?
man its hard enough that you have 5 clubs + football practise + taking care of my lil bro, i dont seem to have time to do my homework i try hard to get straight A's i would be very thankful if you help me out :)

bigboab
09-25-2003, 12:46 AM
Pride in my opinion is just the fear of making a mistake or of not admitting making a mistake in case of ridicule by your peers.

Just think of a couple of examples:-

Your teacher: Very few of the will admit they have erred, because they think wrongly that their pupils would ridicule them The opposite is the case.

Politicians: They will never admit that they are wrong because that would give their opponents ammunition.

These are just a couple of examples of situations. I am sure you will probably think of a few more yourself.

Remember to err is human but sometimes pride prevents you from being human.

bigboab
09-25-2003, 12:51 AM
Look up the definition of pride in Websters Dictionary. There is enough there to keep you talking for about five minutes. If you cant find it let me know and i will PM you with a transcript.

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 12:52 AM
^ thanks i will look int that

pol
09-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by showstopper496@25 September 2003 - 00:52
^ thanks i will look int that
look in to taking pride in your work as well ;) :D

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 12:53 AM
thanks i made up a eassay my self tell me is this is any good

The time when I let my pride stand in the way of what I felt was right was a few years back I was playing baseball with my friends. There was a new kid who wanted to play with us. This kid moved to my neighbourhood only a few days back, I talked to him and he seemed like a very nice person. He had a leg diesiese and he walked with a limp, but he had good character. He said he was good and wanted to play baseball with us. All of my friends burst out laughing and started making fun of the new kid. He started to look a litte frighted because of my friends. I felt really bad and wanted to stop my friends but I could not, so I joined my friends and started making fun of the new kid. He tried to run away but my friends kept making fun of him.

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 01:05 AM
update here is my full essay what do you think of it

The time when I let my pride stand in the way of what I felt was right was a few years back I was playing baseball with my friends. There was a new kid who wanted to play with us. This kid moved to my neighborhood only a few days back, I talked to him and he seemed like a very nice person. He had a leg disease and he walked with a limp, but he had good character. He said he was good and wanted to play baseball with us. All of my friends burst out laughing and started making fun of the new kid. He started to look a little freighted because of my friends. I felt really bad and wanted to stop my friends but I could not, so I joined my friends and started making fun of the new kid. He tried to run away but my friends kept making fun of him.
I felt so bad about that incident that I did not see my friends for the whole weekend. I sat home thinking of what I did wrong. I called my friends and ask them how they felt about the incident they said they did not care. I always wanted to apologize to the new kid but I could not. Soon after his father got a new job and they moved to New York.
If I had a chance to change the situation I would certainly change and I would have probably told my friends to leave him alone instead of making fun of him. If I had a chance to meet him someday I would defiantly apologize to him. The lesson I learned is that treat other people, as you like to be treated.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
09-25-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by showstopper496@24 September 2003 - 19:53
thanks i made up a eassay my self tell me is this is any good

The time when I let my pride stand in the way of what I felt was right was a few years back I was playing baseball with my friends. There was a new kid who wanted to play with us. This kid moved to my neighbourhood only a few days back, I talked to him and he seemed like a very nice person. He had a leg diesiese and he walked with a limp, but he had good character. He said he was good and wanted to play baseball with us. All of my friends burst out laughing and started making fun of the new kid. He started to look a litte frighted because of my friends. I felt really bad and wanted to stop my friends but I could not, so I joined my friends and started making fun of the new kid. He tried to run away but my friends kept making fun of him.
;) You ever see the Movie flatliners?You in trouble Boy.

(>Zero Cool<)
09-25-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by bigboab@25 September 2003 - 00:46
Pride in my opinion is just the fear of making a mistake or of not admitting making a mistake in case of ridicule by your peers.

Just think of a couple of examples:-

Your teacher: Very few of the will admit they have erred, because they think wrongly that their pupils would ridicule them The opposite is the case.

Politicians: They will never admit that they are wrong because that would give their opponents ammunition.

These are just a couple of examples of situations. I am sure you will probably think of a few more yourself.

Remember to err is human but sometimes pride prevents you from being human.
@BigBoab, re. your comment about teachers, do you believe that teachers should always admit their mistakes, no matter who or what age group they are teaching?

(>Zero Cool<)
09-25-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by showstopper496@25 September 2003 - 01:05

The time when I let my pride stand in the way of what I felt was right was a few years back I was playing baseball with my friends. There was a new kid who wanted to play with us. This kid moved to my neighborhood only a few days back, I talked to him and he seemed like a very nice person. He had a leg disease and he walked with a limp, but he had good character. He said he was good and wanted to play baseball with us. All of my friends burst out laughing and started making fun of the new kid. He started to look a little freighted because of my friends. I felt really bad and wanted to stop my friends but I could not, so I joined my friends and started making fun of the new kid. He tried to run away but my friends kept making fun of him.
I felt so bad about that incident that I did not see my friends for the whole weekend. I sat home thinking of what I did wrong. I called my friends and ask them how they felt about the incident they said they did not care. I always wanted to apologize to the new kid but I could not. Soon after his father got a new job and they moved to New York.
If I had a chance to change the situation I would certainly change and I would have probably told my friends to leave him alone instead of making fun of him. If I had a chance to meet him someday I would defiantly apologize to him. The lesson I learned is that treat other people, as you like to be treated.
....and that it is much easier to conform than to be an individual :)

pol
09-25-2003, 01:20 AM
If I had a chance to meet him someday I would defiantly apologize to him.

the spellcheck might have missed that one but i doubt your teacher will :P

balamm
09-25-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by showstopper496@24 September 2003 - 18:05

None of this has anything to do with pride. This is peer pressure, guilt, NOT pride.
Better come up with something else after studying the definition of pride a bit more.

(>Zero Cool<)
09-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Balamm is right I feel. Has there been a time in your life where you have really wanted something, e.g help, a shoulder to cry on, advice that kind of thing (except for right now&#33;&#33; :rolleyes: ))but have been afraid that you would be looked down upon by others for asking and so have not asked, and due to not asking missed out on the chance to do something or achieve something? If not stick on your algebra homework and I&#39;ll do that :P

come to think of it you fallen asleep or are you still with us? :unsure:

:)

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 01:44 AM
its is pride because you have pride and cant stoop too low to diss your friends and be freinds with the new kid so i think it is pride

MagicNakor
09-25-2003, 01:49 AM
:blink: I think I need a translation.

:ninja:

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 01:50 AM
sorry i did not have time to explain,

(>Zero Cool<)
09-25-2003, 01:52 AM
ehm......where&#39;s that algebra? :unsure:

showstopper496
09-25-2003, 01:55 AM
^ i dont think you will be able to do it :lol:

pol
09-25-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by showstopper496@25 September 2003 - 01:55
^ i dont think you will be able to do it :lol:

pride often comes before a fall too :rolleyes:

(>Zero Cool<)
09-25-2003, 01:58 AM
:lol: :lol:

I guess you&#39;ll never know ;)

:)

p.s this was aimed at the stopper of shows btw, bad timing on my part :)

balamm
09-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by showstopper496@24 September 2003 - 18:44
its is pride because you have pride and cant stoop too low to diss your friends and be freinds with the new kid so i think it is pride
I see a dismal grade in someone&#39;s near future.

Better decide if you want an education or if all that other stuff you have to do is more important.

bigboab
09-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Actually Showstopper you can tell your teacher that you are three days too late. Because pride normally comes before the fall. :rolleyes:

Yes Cool I would tell every class if I made a general mistake. I would also admit it to an individual if that was the case. Admit your mistakes but make it sound as humorous as possible. After all everybody is not infammable. :P

lynx
09-25-2003, 03:20 PM
As long as you aren&#39;t doing something you aren&#39;t supposed to be doing, it is always best to own up to mistakes. People will respect you more. Try to hide your mistakes, then if it comes out (and it usually does) people will think you are a tosser.

I had to admit to being wrong once. Guess you were pretty busy, BB. :P

bigboab
09-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Who me? I did not make any. It was always the students who took the wrong meaning or I put in a mistake to see if they were listening. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited because I deliberately made a mistake.

james_bond_rulez
09-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by balamm+25 September 2003 - 07:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm @ 25 September 2003 - 07:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-showstopper496@24 September 2003 - 18:44
I see a dismal grade in someone&#39;s near future.

Better decide if you want an education or if all that other stuff you have to do is more important. [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gemby!
09-25-2003, 08:15 PM
you know how you wrote about pride standing in the way of you telling your friends to leave the kid alone (which was good&#33;) i never do that cos i used to be picked on a bit so now if anyone picks on anyone else i try to stop them - :)