PDA

View Full Version : Use Windows 7 Or Use Something Else.

brotherdoobie
05-15-2009, 03:27 AM
I have enjoyed it so far. It's nice and quick.

-bd

Blackbeard
05-16-2009, 06:18 AM
I have not even tried it yet.. maybe when my quad computer is back up (few days) and run it in vmware.. anyways i think ubuntu 9.04 rocks works perfect on my laptop 3ghz p4 hyper threading but thats just me. :/

saulin
05-20-2009, 04:25 AM
I was tempted to try it with dual boot but damn if it's like Vista I preffer not to. If does look a lot like vista. Also it still has a while to go so I spect it to be very buggy. I think I'll wait.

Now beta testing windows 98 was something because it was a huge difference over Win 95 :D and beta testing windows 95 was awesome because it sure was something over windows 3.1

SonsOfLiberty
05-20-2009, 05:09 AM
It's a whole lot better than Vista, that's for sure, it's quick, stable, and did I already say fast? It's not been buggy at all, at least on my end and what I've got installed and toyed with, the only big bug is KMPlayer doesn't want to work right, but other than that, 7, I think will take back the market share, it's that good, just forget Vista and you could forget XP too with the built in XP mode...seriously if you haven't tried 7 go ahead, it's free for a year and you only need about 10-20gb of space to feck around.

Frankthetank1
05-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I like it but doesnt work with punkbuster.

brotherdoobie
09-22-2009, 01:40 PM
It's still nice and quick. Excellent point, Microsoft. Well presented.
True story, ladies.

-doobs

Cabalo
09-22-2009, 08:33 PM
:O really? is there anyway to play CoD4: MW on windows 7 ?

brilman
09-23-2009, 12:04 AM
been running it for afew weeks been fine so far, Kind of like it better then xp, Still y the hell make it such a pain to network with xp?

Cabalo
09-23-2009, 12:08 AM
been running it for afew weeks been fine so far, Kind of like it better then xp, Still y the hell make it such a pain to network with xp?
XP's fault. their permission handling is crap.

reddragon2020
09-23-2009, 05:55 PM
I have enjoyed it very much

brotherdoobie
09-23-2009, 05:57 PM
XP's fault. their permission handling is crap.

True story.

-bd

Skiz
09-25-2009, 06:56 AM
I tried Win7 when the betas came out and it was...ok. I reverted to Vista because at the time, hardly any software would work with 7.

So now that I'm seeing theming being done and most software working, I'm thinking of going ahead and making the switch again.

Is there any point in waiting for the proper retail? I've already downloaded "Microsoft Windows 7 ULTIMATE x64 OEM DVD-BIE" :unsure:

peat moss
09-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Microsoft Windows 7 ULTIMATE x64 OEM DVD-BIE is fine I even got the proper sound drivers for mine . Use 32 bit Firefox it runs great on this build .

Only program I used that won't install properly is TuneUp 2009 , I use Windows 7 Manager instead . Lots of hidden tweaks to play with .

http://www.yamicsoft.com/windows7manager/index.html

clocker
09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
In the past week I've done four OS installs- three Win 7 and one XP Pro.

The three Win 7- two laptops and one desktop- went flawlessly and only one (the desktop, oddly enough) required a driver (for sound) after install.
All required third party software installed and worked without a hitch.

On the other hand, the XP install not only required the F6 floppy dance to even see the SATA drive, but had a Device Manager full of yellow exclamation points when finished. ALL drivers were needed and, since there was no internet access possible till the ethernet driver was found, a second PC was required to finish the process.

I honestly don't know why people still cling to XP...if your machine is so lame that it can't meet 7's basic requirements, it's time for a new machine.

Voetsek
09-25-2009, 03:27 PM
7 Rocks

Snee
09-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I've gotten win7pro to bsod, thrice :01:

One was from just changing ports with a razer death adder, twice was from nvidia driver hiccoughs.

It's cool, though. It's the win2k to Vista's XP. Not very different, but smoother.

seedingyourmom
09-25-2009, 10:48 PM

It works flawlessly with PB and has for a while now. COD runs perfectly.

peat moss
09-26-2009, 12:52 AM
I found a great site for Win7 issues , no cracks just support for drivers , tweaks and themes .

http://www.sevenforums.com/

Cabalo
09-26-2009, 12:56 AM

It works flawlessly with PB and has for a while now. COD runs perfectly.
thank you mate, this is some really important info for me. :yup:

peat moss
09-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Only game I'v tried is CSS online and seems fine , Steam uses Punk Buster too no ?

Cabalo
09-26-2009, 01:38 AM
Only game I'v tried is CSS online and seems fine , Steam uses Punk Buster too no ?
CSS uses VAC2 ;)

peat moss
09-26-2009, 02:37 AM
Oh thanks Cabalo , my son has'nt installed his computer games yet just Counter Strike . I'm guessing Left 4 Dead or DOD , being Valve games should be fine ? If not I'm a dead man .

Cabalo
09-26-2009, 02:51 AM
yeah, don't worry. All valve games use VAC2 which is compatible with windows 7, as it isn't a client-side anti-cheat system.

Rart
09-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Yep, every game I've tried so far on steam is fully functional, no problems at all or any customization needed.

Skiz
09-27-2009, 05:42 AM
Now I remember what I hated about using Windows 7. Ultramon doesn't work on it. :no:

peat moss
09-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Have you tried the Beta ?

"UltraMon 3.0.7 Beta has been released, this release has a fix for the issue with the Smart Taskbar not working correctly on Windows 7 systems (Aero theme) with more than 2 monitors, and two other bug fixes. See the release notes for details, download here. "

http://www.realtimesoft.com/

Skiz
09-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah, but it still didn't work. The forum is flooded with Windows 7 issues too. How pissed would you be if you paid for it and it still didn't work?

That guy must really hate money.

I'm using DisplayFusion now, which I suppose is the next best thing.

peat moss
09-27-2009, 07:44 PM
It could be worse , remember the Vista Hardware issues . :whistling

Skiz
09-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Not at all. I didn't even start using Vista until SP2 tho, so in my experiences with it, it was a top notch OS.

tesco
09-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah, but it still didn't work. The forum is flooded with Windows 7 issues too. How pissed would you be if you paid for it and it still didn't work?

That guy must really hate money.

I'm using DisplayFusion now, which I suppose is the next best thing.
Which features is it that you like from ultramon?
I know windows7 added a lot of new features for multimonitor, the only one that I needed was moving a window from one monitor to the other when I can't see it (a window being on my tv screen while it is off...). This can be done with WindowsKey+Shift+LeftArrow/RightArrow

peat moss
09-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Not at all. I didn't even start using Vista until SP2 tho, so in my experiences with it, it was a top notch OS.

My point was , be patient as the hardware support is there the software not so much . That will change quickly , seen it already with my first Win 7 Win update . :)

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/974332

brotherdoobie
10-03-2009, 07:49 AM
In the past week I've done four OS installs- three Win 7 and one XP Pro.

The three Win 7- two laptops and one desktop- went flawlessly and only one (the desktop, oddly enough) required a driver (for sound) after install.
All required third party software installed and worked without a hitch.

On the other hand, the XP install not only required the F6 floppy dance to even see the SATA drive, but had a Device Manager full of yellow exclamation points when finished. ALL drivers were needed and, since there was no internet access possible till the ethernet driver was found, a second PC was required to finish the process.

I honestly don't know why people still cling to XP...if your machine is so lame that it can't meet 7's basic requirements, it's time for a new machine.

Familiarity breeds procrastination; I suppose.

-bd

thegladiator
10-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I still use windows vista.

peat moss
10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I still use windows vista.

You poor basterd . :(

j2k4
10-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Liking Win 7 more atm than before (driver issues largely fixed), but still having balky mouse problems...third mouse, now; one wired Logitech laser and three wireless (two Logitech and one Microsoft).

Two monitors fully functional on first post-install boot is kinda new-cool - all default settings are dead-on.

I REALLY liked that.

clocker
10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
still having balky mouse problems...third mouse, now; one wired Logitech laser and three wireless (two Logitech and one Microsoft).

I've only had one issue with my meeses and that was solved by reinstalling the Logitech software.
Was your wired mouse connected through USB or PS2?

Your wireless mice have to be USB, have you checked the Device Manager for issues in that area?
Maybe the mice are but a symptom of an underlying problem...

demma
10-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Been using 7 RC1 for months on my tablet Pc and it just rocks... The inking features are a real improvement over Vista, multitouch and the likes work like a charm and I never had any problems driver-wise... Very stable, small memory footprint, great reactivity. A real treat :)

That being said, Vista X64 with SP2 is an excellent OS too, stable, never crashes and quite speedy - given that you feed it with large amounts of ram and a beefy setup (main pc rig: overclocked Quad q9550, 8 gigs of ram, 4870x2 and Raid-0 arrays)

Preordered "el cheapo" 7 Home Premium when it was being sold for something like 50€ and I just can't wait for October 22nd as this will be my first truly bought Mircroshaft OS....

j2k4
10-05-2009, 08:21 PM
still having balky mouse problems...third mouse, now; one wired Logitech laser and three wireless (two Logitech and one Microsoft).

I've only had one issue with my meeses and that was solved by reinstalling the Logitech software.
Was your wired mouse connected through USB or PS2?

Your wireless mice have to be USB, have you checked the Device Manager for issues in that area?
Maybe the mice are but a symptom of an underlying problem...

All mice are USB.

I also think I'll poke around on Start64 to see if they know of any Win7 mouse stuff; that's a great site - they chase mfr stuff for us 64bit folk, and they're off into Win7, too.

I think I already peeked at Device Mgr., but it's easy enough to refresh my memory.

clocker
10-05-2009, 11:41 PM
All mice are USB.

Just for grins, try your wired USB mouse with a PS2 adaptor and see if the problem goes away.

You have such an adaptor lying around, don't you?

j2k4
10-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Think so...

peat moss
10-07-2009, 01:37 AM
J2 those green adapters that never work for me , :pinch:

j2k4
10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
J2 those green adapters that never work for me , :pinch:

Yeah, I've got several of those; also thinking that maybe I'm experiencing that old wireless/monitor interference crap - I solved it on one of my other PCs by using one of those USB extension cables to get it further away.

I'll try 'em both; see what works.

clocker
10-07-2009, 11:50 AM
If either solution works, it means that your problem wasn't Win7 related.

dodgy368
10-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Peat, thanks for that forum link, looks good even though I'm not having problems with 7 Pro. :D

j2k4
10-07-2009, 07:16 PM
If either solution works, it means that your problem wasn't Win7 related.

Quite right; Missus J also pointed out that I've already had that problem with this (Vista U 64) machine, so.

killercam
10-07-2009, 09:00 PM
running windows 7 professional and i like it very much!

peat moss
10-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Peat, thanks for that forum link, looks good even though I'm not having problems with 7 Pro. :D

Your Welcome . :)

Found a nice tweaked Win7 iso called , Se7en Eternity . X86 or X64 install with a few tweaks and a few programs like Ccleaner , 7Zip , loads of themes , icon packs and video drivers . No cracks or keys tho but easy to find .

saulin
10-11-2009, 12:15 AM
It's alright. Compatibility is good now. Some programs do complain. I choose run in compatibility mode and choose "Vista" and they run fine. Daemon Tools Lite is one of them. IE doesn't really crash or hang. It started acting funny with a few addons but I just disabled the ones that I don't use and everything is good. People say it's super fast but nothing is faster than XP.

I use it because of DX. With XP you are stuck with DX9. Games perform just a little slower than on XP but again you are using DX10 at least so you get more effects or whatever DX10 offers lol.

rationmyrum
10-14-2009, 10:05 PM
its much better i think..

R10Ronaldinho
10-18-2009, 08:27 AM
i mu using win 7 and now im downloading win 7 original :D