PDA

View Full Version : So how do you anti-traders feel....

puckface
05-15-2009, 07:05 AM
who give away free invites to anyone that will take one now that TL has been compromised. Chances are, one of you have invited them.

Oh but its ok if you don't trade huh?

good luck.

/drunken rant

Louie
05-15-2009, 07:25 AM
They feel just the same...smart guys

meelad
05-15-2009, 07:30 AM
How about you change your nick to punchface :P

Villalltheway
05-15-2009, 07:32 AM
who give away free invites to anyone that will take one now that TL has been compromised. Chances are, one of you have invited them.

good luck.

/drunken rant

O no like its so hard to get into TL :noes:

U just got to think if u can get into any tracker u have why cant the authorities do exactly what u did and get to the same places. Im pretty sure they have people in all the big sites.

Louie
05-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Im pretty sure they have people in all the big sites.

:yup:more then sure,but not for prison and shit,just to keep an eye from inside.

Stellar
05-15-2009, 07:43 AM
I think the authorities are able to get into most trackers. They would find some way to get in even if people weren't giving away invites indiscriminately.

beshawn
05-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Not that I would give an invite away to someone I do not know...

but how does trading (over using invites as intended) keep out anti-piracy authorities?

By your logic, all sites should stop handing out invites (after all its simply too dangerous), and only allow the trading of accounts?

rampur
05-15-2009, 08:08 AM
if the authorities really wanted to get into a private tracker they can just buy an account/invite

i even saw a uk-* account for sale once.
Really, no torrent site is safe from invite sellers. :/

Skiz
05-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Well, in theory, if users only invite reputable members that they know and trust, that wouldn't be an issue.

Louie
05-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Well, in theory, if users only invite reputable members that they know and trust, that wouldn't be an issue.

Untill you find out that owner its one of them:)

n00bz0r
05-15-2009, 08:52 AM
man getting into TL is difficult as hell.
Wait a minute, did i just say that? (not going to use backspace, my key is not workin :P)
How to get into TL:
1) Upload a few shitty mutt rips on Demonoid after you join it via open signups. (infinite ratio if someone leeches it off.) (Beware of flaming :P)
2) Once you have some amount uploaded, download the smallest possible file ya can (get a positive ratio)
3) Join any forum you feel like.
4) There are thousands of good samaritans doing GAs (maybe right before making a request :P)
5) Put up a ratio proof, and a Speedtest on their "1337 GA Thread"
6) Voila, if you are lucky, an invite mail is waiting in your email account. (But remember to rep the moron who invited you)

and you thought it was difficult for TL to be infiltrated.. LMAO

Louie
05-15-2009, 08:59 AM
6) Viola, Voila?

and you thought it was difficult for TL to be infiltrated.. LMAO

It doesent matter if you get in easy or not its fuckin' file-sharing so once you open a tracker you assume some risks.

susiserken
05-15-2009, 09:15 AM
ive been a member of TL for a bit over 3 years this has happened more than a few times and will again.

TP635
05-15-2009, 09:35 AM
It is way too stupid to think that the people in authority find it difficult to get into even the most private of all private trackers. If a 13 year old bt user can enter those rare trackers, a pro can do it in a blink of an eye; if they want to and when they want to.

The_Martinator
05-15-2009, 09:38 AM
It is easy to get into TL, but who said they got in via GAs? Do you have proof they didn't trade that way in?

RedRansom
05-15-2009, 09:49 AM
edit

n00bz0r
05-15-2009, 10:58 AM
i was not saying that GA is the only way they got in.
I was merely pointing at the flaws in the system through the illustrated "steps".Trading or even buying their way in cannot be ruled out.

PS: voila stands corrected :P

IdolEyes787
05-15-2009, 11:49 AM
I think the authorities are able to get into most any tracker(s). They would find some way to get in even if people weren't giving away invites indiscriminately.

Unless a tracker is small enough to be made up entirely on real life friends it would be delusional to think otherwise.(In case no one noticed people tend to lie on the internet).
Nothing short of that would make it entirely secure.

Actually if the authorities really wanted to catch most of the big guns in the torrent world all they would need to do is establish a tracker like some of the recent ones.Use the co-operation of the studios so it is filled with stuff that you can't get anywhere else Make it seem important and "exclusive " and secure so that only the creme de la creme are allowed in and then round them all up in one convenient swoop.

Also about TL some call it misfortune, I prefer to think of it as karma.

The_Martinator
05-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Also about TL some call it misfortune, I prefer to think of it as karma.

Don't really understand you here. You mean bad karma?

saulin
05-15-2009, 04:38 PM

good luck.

/drunken rant

TL has been compromised? What's the deal with TL? Sorry I'm behind on news and I haven't visited TL in a while.

And to add to the discussion. I do agree that if any kid can get into trackers, the RIAA or any other anti piracy organization can get into any tracker as well if they want to. Now I don't see them taking action against users. Maybe some top uploaders and the site owners.

Night0wl
05-15-2009, 05:29 PM
ive been a member of TL for a bit over 3 years this has happened more than a few times and will again.

this

Only difference is that this time it happened to someone who writes file sharing news.

TinkerBell
05-15-2009, 07:22 PM
It's damn likely that government officials are in most, if not all sites. They have access to the best seed boxes after all. If you don't think they won't waste weeks or years to earn your trust your only fooling yourself. The cops today aren't like roscoe off of the dukes of hazard. They can just as easily act like me or you. They don't want to make their own site to catch people. They want to bring reputable sites down. That's what hurts. They don't want every tom dick and harry that file shares. They want the site owners. I think as most know the pirate bay is just the beginning of the storm that is yet to come. I got strong feeling things are going to be getting alot worse and soon. It's not that a site has been brought down, but what the sites reputation was before it was brought down. It hurts our moral and puts fear into our lives. For instance if ftn and or bitmetv was brought down I would likely give up all hope for the torrent world and stop using torrents.

phrenzy
05-15-2009, 08:43 PM
It's damn likely that government officials are in most, if not all sites. They have access to the best seed boxes after all. If you don't think they won't waste weeks or years to earn your trust your only fooling yourself. The cops today aren't like roscoe off of the dukes of hazard. They can just as easily act like me or you. They don't want to make their own site to catch people. They want to bring reputable sites down. That's what hurts. They don't want every tom dick and harry that file shares. They want the site owners. I think as most know the pirate bay is just the beginning of the storm that is yet to come. I got strong feeling things are going to be getting alot worse and soon. It's not that a site has been brought down, but what the sites reputation was before it was brought down. It hurts our moral and puts fear into our lives. For instance if ftn and or bitmetv was brought down I would likely give up all hope for the torrent world and stop using torrents.

Thats why you need to have several methods of filesharing....

sear
05-15-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not so sure they got in via a giveaway or a trade. Why bother when you can purchase your way in pretty easily. In the end who knows how they got in maybe they just jumped on irc and bobs your uncle you've got an invite.

One thing is for sure they've been there for years this is nothing new. Really they take their time with these things. They spent a year or two inside oink before acting so...

sez
05-15-2009, 10:33 PM
[quote=puckface;3214712]who give away free invites to anyone that will take one now that TL has been compromised. Chances are, one of you have invited them.

good luck.

/drunken rant

If i was TL,i would just ban everyone who was on that torrent at the revealed time stamp(nobody would miss a couple hundred of leechers,especially on a tracker that isn't really into this community cuddly fondle me,kissy kissy huggy faggy bromance ish :P )

or choose to be a little lenient and filter the ban to american IP ranges,then drop theBANhammer.

or be very very lenient and choose to look at snatch and account histories of those particular americans(its obviously an american)then BAN the guy who has a fetish for donating for invites and snatching warner bros. and other MPAA insigs. torrents together with his inviter and the inviters inviter and the inviters inviter inviterar.001 and the inviterar.001 inviter and the inviterar.001 inviter who is now inviterar.002 and the RARs go on till u get to the n00b on trackerchecker waiting for open signup...its really easy,though i figure letting go $1000 dollar donors for the security of a titload of udders who never even click ADs is
in essence idiocy(businesswise that is) :P
what to do now?fuck security i guess!

1000possibleclaws
05-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Not that I would give an invite away to someone I do not know...

but how does trading (over using invites as intended) keep out anti-piracy authorities?

By your logic, all sites should stop handing out invites (after all its simply too dangerous), and only allow the trading of accounts?

By his logic it doesn't matter at the end of the day if you trade or if you're completely against it.

05-15-2009, 11:28 PM
end of the day , for all we know some of the most respectable members of BT could be feds. but this is the internet and that is life.

iam1337
05-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Can someone please explain what happened?

saulin
05-16-2009, 01:09 AM
All I know is that the forums are down due to an emergency maintenance.

cinephilia
05-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Now I don't see them taking action against users. Maybe some top uploaders and the site owners.
yeah, i agree.

They have access to the best seed boxes after all. If you don't think they won't waste weeks or years to earn your trust your only fooling yourself.
lol, probably the most stupid thing i read so far in this thread.

Stellar
05-16-2009, 01:37 AM
You don't think the authorities have access to government supercomputers and dedicated fiber lines for the purpose of seeding torrents?

:P

Funkin'
05-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Yeah, what did happen? There's nothing about it on the home page, and the forums are down. Someone was giving out ip's of a swarm of a certain torrent?

Buddha.net
05-16-2009, 02:27 AM
I cant post the site. Its filtered and my post got deleted. Should be easy to find, its a blogger that covers file sharing.

1000possibleclaws
05-16-2009, 02:32 AM
piracy watchdog group BAYTSP, which in large part represents the MPAA and its subsidiaries, has begun to encroach into the private tracker sector.Some dude got a copyright infringement letter, and felt that it was great news. Oh noes :rolleyes:

VinX
05-16-2009, 02:39 AM

what the f is riaa and mpaa then ? and btw , no one's touchin FTN or other sites

lysine
05-16-2009, 03:23 AM
it's naive to think that law enforcement can't get into anything they want to. I know most of you have the attention span of a housefly, but you need to read over these articles and think of the implications:

http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerights/news/2007/01/72515?currentPage=all

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-01/ff_max_butler?currentPage=all

TinkerBell
05-16-2009, 03:42 AM
The riaa and mpaa have to follow the laws they prosecute against. I mainly refer to as what some would call a special task force. That will break the law to prosecute people. I'm sure you've heard of the term narc.

lysine
05-16-2009, 03:44 AM
The riaa and mpaa have to follow the laws they prosecute against.

they're not breaking the law, if they're sharing files with the permission of the copyright holders.

hayden61108
05-16-2009, 03:53 AM
ok, still confused, what happened?

1000possibleclaws
05-16-2009, 03:59 AM
ok, still confused, what happened?

Really, nothing important. Just move along..

sear
05-16-2009, 06:11 AM
it's naive to think that law enforcement can't get into anything they want to. I know most of you have the attention span of a housefly, but you need to read over these articles and think of the implications:

http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerights/news/2007/01/72515?currentPage=all

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-01/ff_max_butler?currentPage=all

good reads the parallels are quite striking really.

Swift
05-16-2009, 06:53 AM
what's this thread about again ? nothing yes... nothing

Cabalo
05-16-2009, 08:01 AM
i'm another one who has no news related to what hypothetically is happening to TL.
guess i'll have to google for that infamous blog.

Swift
05-16-2009, 08:07 AM
infiltrations :D

mrnobody
05-16-2009, 11:51 AM
users @ TL receiving letters? Isn't that old?

Swift
05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
depends on what kind of letters

shipwreck
05-16-2009, 01:03 PM
You know, anti-p2p groups or even the FBI and other authorities don't even need to be on the trackers themselves, although it's true that it's rather easy for them to join, including most of the oh-so secure 'rare' sites (by simply donating / buying accounts / invites). They can hire narcs, a very old strategy that has been especially effective against release groups and the 'real' scene in the past.

Since more and more p2p release groups have emerged in the last few years, (private) bittorrent communities are not just channels of distribution (at the lower end of the food chain) anymore, they are a source of releases themselves. This implies a whole new level from the copyright holders / authorities perspective. It doesn't surprise me that the release causing this fuss was a telesync (= new movie) by DEViSE, a p2p group.

But the weakest link is simply money, be it trackers / the bittorrent community, or the real scene. As long as you can buy invites / accounts, or buy leech accounts on FTP topsites, supply hardware, supply shells etc. etc., there will be a certain degree of vulnerability.

The_Martinator
05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
You know, anti-p2p groups or even the FBI and other authorities don't even need to be on the trackers themselves, although it's true that it's rather easy for them to join, including most of the oh-so secure 'rare' sites (by simply donating / buying accounts / invites). They can hire narcs, a very old strategy that has been especially effective against release groups and the 'real' scene in the past.

Since more and more p2p release groups have emerged in the last few years, (private) bittorrent communities are not just channels of distribution (at the lower end of the food chain) anymore, they are a source of releases themselves. This implies a whole new level from the copyright holders / authorities perspective. It doesn't surprise me that the release causing this fuss was a telesync (= new movie) by DEViSE, a p2p group.

But the weakest link is simply money, be it trackers / the bittorrent community, or the real scene. As long as you can buy invites / accounts, or buy leech accounts on FTP topsites, supply hardware, supply shells etc. etc., there will be a certain degree of vulnerability.

+1
I don't agree with ''conspiracy theories'' that say that there are members of authorities in the IRC channels of trackers all the time. Imo they're too lazy to do that, but it could easily be done. They have the time.

Sonnentier
05-17-2009, 12:59 AM
I wouldn't wonder if similar things also reached other trackers in the future.

Just some time ago everybody was pirating and nothing happened even if it was completely open, now they might occasionally send out letters but their investigational work is still very incomplete, to be polite. With other sources like the newsgroups and everything taking place, small elitist groups that keep themselves unimportant are less of a problem today.

They just don't want copies to be available as easy as weather forecast, have no more possibilities to make greater change anyhow.