PDA

View Full Version : The Italian Job 2003

uNz[i]
09-25-2003, 06:47 AM
I just read Billy-the-fish's thread about the new Italian job movie...
It got me wondering if the 2003 remake is as good as the original from the 1960's, which is one of my all time favorites.

Anyone seen both versions yet?
Which one did you like best?

[B][O][T]
09-25-2003, 06:52 AM
I have not seen any of them :blink:

BOT

olibomb
09-25-2003, 07:15 AM
Well your obviously not English then! The second one is good but you can't really compare it to the first considering the first one was a classic.

uNz[i]
09-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Well, I dont know about the 2003 version, but I highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to check out the 1969 original.
Comedy, organised crime, high speed pursuit, flash cars... its all there.

The cast included Michael Caine, Benny Hill and Noel Coward, just to name a few.
The big highlight of the film was 3 Mini Coopers in one of the best chase sequences ever made.. imho.

More details at the IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064505/)

Gre1
09-25-2003, 07:35 AM
I haven't see the 2003 version either but from what u just said it's the same thing.

uNz[i]
09-25-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Gre1@25 September 2003 - 17:05
I haven't see the 2003 version either but from what u just said it's the same thing.
Well, it IS a remake, after all, but there looks to be some differences owing to locations.
From what I've read about the new version, the 2003 Job takes place in Italy (ofc) but then moves to the US.. totally different to the 1969 story, which took place in Italy and the UK... theres probably more too...

ck-uk
09-25-2003, 08:17 AM
I havnt see it yet,but its worth watching to see the new mini's ralleing around.I'm going to download and watch it today.

uNz[i]
09-25-2003, 08:38 AM
I just got in touch with a mate who has adsl.(56K'er here) He's DLing it for me as I type this... I hope Hollywood didnt screw it up... :unsure:

caton77
09-25-2003, 09:07 AM
I have seen both and the 69 version is much better, the films are different, accept the bit with the mini's, the 69 version has the laugh's and the action, much much better and the 1969 clif hanger do i need to say anymore the new 1 has nothing on it

sharedholder
09-25-2003, 09:16 AM
I did not seen the 2003 v yet but the 1969 really rocks.

slimboyfatz
09-25-2003, 09:26 AM
Well i'm British and proud..and yes i've seen both versions..the first one countless times, on video and tv...Yes the original Michael Caine version is a Classic, its got the lot..great characters, memorable lines "You were only supposed..." (y'know the rest), one of the best car action/driving sequences, and a great cliffhanger ending (literally)..Now fast forward 40+ years and you've got the Mark Walhberg version..Now most of the cast and the director have been quoted as saying that this new version is not an exact copy of the original, but its own standalone version with just a few references to the Original....the title in this one refers to a crime job at the start of the movie,the rest of the film is set in LA..the lead character is again called Charlie Croker and erm theres a few Mini's dotted about in it also, but aside from that the story has been completely re-written, and i think all the better for it..I reckon if they had have done a by the numbers remake this new version would have suffered from people making comparisons to what was a Classic film (no question)...The cast especially the bit part players (jason statham, mos def, donald sutherland and that guy from 'austin powers') are all really good and rounded, not ya one dimensional acting chimps..the film really does go for a character driven story as opposed to an all out action-fest...the story about double crossing and payback is a good move for this kind of movie..the music is pretty funky in places (and it aint ya norm Techno bang-bang soundtrack, for a change)..the new Mini Coopers are used well in the film, and as like the original are used as a main centrepiece to the movie (the end heist sequence is great)..oh and Charlize Theron is well...tasty...Yeh its got its faults..Mark Walhberg as per usual aint stretching is acting ability or anyones for that matter, the middle section of the film slows down to a crawl (could have done with an action sequence of sorts thrown in there), and the end seems a little bit of an afterthought (it dont even come close to the coach over a cliff moment in the original)..but like i said dont compare it to the original coz its its own little movie..It wont go down as Classic movie (so much similar has been done in the last 40years), but as a good action/character driven story i really enjoyed it..worth paying the cinema admission to go and see..oh and also just to see Charlize Theron's T*T's (jus kidding...shame..never mind, maybe in her next movie) :lol:

uNz[i]
09-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Very interesting, slimboyfatz. I was a bit worried that Hollywood would go for a "by the numbers" rehash, and kill off another classic... I'm glad they went for the total rewrite option instead. Thanks to you and everyone else for the info and views. :)

puk:))
09-25-2003, 03:46 PM
seen them both.

oridginal is ... well to be honest f#@king great.

the remake isnt so much a remake .... think of it as more of a tribute.

the story is completely different.... mainly for the fact that nobody rips them off in the 69 version (well the mafia try) & the 2003 only spends about 5 minutes in italy (very cool 5 mins though).

also theres a really quick bit where edward nortons on the phone (i think) & michael caines on the tele in the background :D :D

good hiest (sp?) movie... enjoyed it.

Gre1
09-25-2003, 04:00 PM
But u already know how it goes the sequel is never better than the original.

ck-uk
09-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Well i cant see me watching this tonight as i said earlier.I just checked and its only coming down at 30kb cd2 off bt..and cd1 was almost finish off irc but must have lost its connection and stoped.

Gre1
09-25-2003, 04:10 PM
I just started getting this movie it hasn't started downloading yet cause so many peers.

zinc1
09-25-2003, 08:52 PM
did anybody notice in Italian Job 2003 when Mark Wahlberg was watching the original Italian Job on TV?

I've seen them both and the're both great watchable movies.

Gre1
09-25-2003, 08:57 PM
Nope. I cancelled the download cause I had to restart my comp because that speeds up my downloads. I will restart in a minute.

Gre1
09-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Did anyone finish this movie yet?