PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Programs.

Livy
09-25-2003, 02:36 PM
at the moment i dont have any maintanace programs on my computer, the only things i have are regcleaner and adaware, and spybot.
what are good maintenace progs, i used to have norton sytemworks, but i lost the cd. im running xp if that makes any difference to some programs,

exeus
09-25-2003, 02:52 PM
IMO the OS's now days dont require as much maintanace as the older ones if ya keep the registry in shape keep all the spyware crap off all you really need to do is delete any temp files etc lying around and defrag every now and then and a good old format every so often does wonders

Livy
09-25-2003, 03:03 PM
i run adware and spybot every so often. and defrag when i can. and clean registry with regcleaner aswell, but there probably is some crapf iles lying bout left by prgs and other things like dead shortcuts etc.

MetroStars
09-25-2003, 03:16 PM
i think the prog's your using now, r perfect 4 keeping your comp in shape, as long u have a

Virus Scanner

and sum sort of spyware scanner

u sud b fine...

and i agree formatting your machine evry so often ( me i do it every 6 months )

Livy
09-25-2003, 03:23 PM
i used to format ma machine when i thought it needed it, sometime slonger than others, but its a pain in the ass, im currently trying to setup an unattended setup disk, which is harder than it looks. i dont have a virus scanner, just be carfeull, havent had a virus in about 2 years, :) do online scans

clocker
09-25-2003, 03:25 PM
-WinCleanerUltra is a handy, one stop system cleaner. You can choose to check/scrub separate areas ( temp internet files, etc.) or just one click and do everything at once.

-Diskeeper
Is my favorite defrag utility

ck-uk
09-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Apart from the the ones already mentioned ..and i slightly agree with exeus, except for reformating every so often.I dont think theres ever a simple need to reformat,as long as u dont fiddle with what u dont understand and just use it to run the apps u put on,a regular clean up and defrag should keep it stable.I've tried near enought every tool out there and just dont like them.So i just keep it clean as i go along manually,then once a week i just use tweakxps unnessary files util and dustbuster xp(original sources Zabjb)which clean up all the temp and old files.As for the reg i either use jv6 tweakxp's on occasion or do it manually.

Kunal
09-25-2003, 03:29 PM
norton system works is good, i also reccomend formatting every few months

zapjb
09-25-2003, 03:32 PM
I'd add as well jv16 PowerTools, Ace Utilities & Norton WinDoctor. All the others registry tinkers CAUSE problems.
OK so I'm off now. That Window Washers will f up your computer stay away. I hate that fn prog & people luv it. Then they go on to say how they have these random problems with their OS. And they NEVER connect it with that POS prog Windows Washer. Even when I tell them. lol. Then they go on to say how they either reformat or reinstall their OS every month or 2 at least. My computers humming along & I have'nt reformatted or reinstalled in over 18 months!
OK now I can bite my tongue for a while longer when the next otherwise sane person insists that some BS prog like WW ISN'T fn up their computer. When I know it is. :P

Amarjit
09-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Window Washer is the most popular, it allows you to delete temporary internet files, files wasting space etc..

MetroStars
09-25-2003, 04:53 PM
I have 2 agree Window Washer is a gr8 tool

zapjb
09-25-2003, 04:59 PM
I'm biting my tongue. :lol:

exeus
09-25-2003, 05:12 PM
i agree with (zapjb) ALOT of proggys out there damage your comp sometimes it takes awhile for the damage to show up

Skank
09-25-2003, 05:20 PM
System Mechanic Professional 4

ck-uk
09-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Amarjit@25 September 2003 - 16:17
Window Washer is the most popular, it allows you to delete temporary internet files, files wasting space etc..
Mate i give ww a try 1 or 2 wks ago when u posted a hash.I did actually think it done a good job until i poped on here one morning and read a post of music chicks complaining she tried it..when it finished she went round all the folders it supposed to have emptied and never.So obviously i went and checked,so i loaded ww pressed washed now,on the gui it showed every thing washed and so and so space recovered and shit,i checked a few folders,wins temp and temp inter files and nothing was deleted not a single file.I'll see if i can find the thread.U may want to do the same ,run it then check its actually deleting the files and not just saying it.If it is what version u using so i can give it another try.The one i had installed was 5.1 somthing,i.ve deleted it now.

LTJBukem
09-25-2003, 05:34 PM
I tried the pos once and half of my programs were missing from add/remove. :huh:

skelley521
09-25-2003, 05:38 PM
I have several but for size and a 'all in one' I use Ultra WinCleaner, its less than 1M and does a good job for me.

Steve

Edit: If you get it off K-lite, make sure you make a new folder to place it in before you run it. It has an auto update button that will download any updates to the folder that it is in. There are a few on K-lite that also do not have the update feature, it will be in the upper right hand side of the main screen.

zapjb
09-25-2003, 05:39 PM
:)

Skank
09-25-2003, 05:39 PM
jv16 powertoys 1.4

MusicChick
09-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by CosmoK+25 September 2003 - 11:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CosmoK &#064; 25 September 2003 - 11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Amarjit@25 September 2003 - 16:17
Mate i give ww a try 1 or 2 wks ago when u posted a hash.I did actually think it done a good job until i poped on here one morning and read a post of music chicks complaining she tried it..when it finished she went round all the folders it supposed to have emptied and never.So obviously i went and checked,so i loaded ww pressed washed now,on the gui it showed every thing washed and so and so space recovered and shit,i checked a few folders,wins temp and temp inter files and nothing was deleted not a single file.I&#39;ll see if i can find the thread.U may want to do the same ,run it then check its actually deleting the files and not just saying it.If it is what version u using so i can give it another try.The one i had installed was 5.1 somthing,i.ve deleted it now.[/b][/quote]
I saw my name so I had to post. But yea Build 5.0.0.1 was the one that didn&#39;t delete everything. But I got the 5.0.0.6 Build and I think It deleted what was left. Plus I noticed that my window washer 4.8 version was still in there, and I ran it and it deleted everything. It installed the 5.0 version in the Webroot folder and left the 4.8 intact. To me the 4.8 works better.