PDA

View Full Version : Copywriting My Own Music

osahri316
09-25-2003, 02:43 PM
I've started recording my own music and i want to prevent ppl from copying it......
any suggestions?

HellBoY
09-25-2003, 02:46 PM
dont share it online ;)

4play
09-25-2003, 02:58 PM
make a few with loads of scratchin noises after 20 secs that is sure to tell everbody this is a copyrighted song.
:P

Amarjit
09-25-2003, 04:12 PM
When you rip songs with Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 Series, using WMA, you can configure an option to protect all music that you extract from a CD-DA. This feature can be toggled on in "Options".

[B][O][T]
09-25-2003, 04:34 PM
osahri316 Do You have a sample We can download?

BOT

Hellie
09-25-2003, 05:51 PM

LOL :lol:

[B][O][T]
09-25-2003, 06:17 PM
http://www.home.no/brand/willie3.gif

Octopussy
09-25-2003, 06:40 PM
if u wana copywrite it get that little c with a circle around it and write copywright 2003

fr600
09-25-2003, 07:06 PM
No its not possible...

Just don't share and don't allow anyone to steal those from you...

fkdup74
09-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Hellie@25 September 2003 - 09:51

LOL :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fkdup74
09-25-2003, 08:24 PM
get in touch with the RIAA............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

leonidas
09-25-2003, 08:47 PM
I also create music, and what I do to protect it is register my tracks to an author/compositor syndicate, giving them a copy of my creations in any support (cd, tape, partitions ect...). They keep it for 5 years.

Each time you give them something you want to protect, it cost you about 30$, no mater how much songs tracks or instrumentals.

And they are abilitated by the tribunals to present any creation you gave them, as an evidence that you're the author, if you decide to sue someone for plagia or something.

This syndicate I'm talking about is in france, I 'm sure something like this exists in any country, but I'm not sure it will be so cheap.

sharedholder
09-25-2003, 10:21 PM
http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/

WHO CAN CLAIM COPYRIGHT
Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright.

In the case of works made for hire, the employer and not the employee is considered to be the author. Section 101 of the copyright law defines a "work made for hire" as:

(1) a work prepared by an employee within the scope of his or her employment; or
(2) a work specially ordered or commissioned for use as:
a contribution to a collective work
a part of a motion picture or other audiovisual work
a translation
a supplementary work
a compilation
an instructional text
a test
answer material for a test
an atlas
if the parties expressly agree in a written instrument signed by them that the work shall be considered a work made for hire....

The authors of a joint work are co-owners of the copyright in the work, unless there is an agreement to the contrary.

Copyright in each separate contribution to a periodical or other collective work is distinct from copyright in the collective work as a whole and vests initially with the author of the contribution.

Two General Principles
Mere ownership of a book, manuscript, painting, or any other copy or phonorecord does not give the possessor the copyright. The law provides that transfer of ownership of any material object that embodies a protected work does not of itself convey any rights in the copyright.
Minors may claim copyright, but state laws may regulate the business dealings involving copyrights owned by minors. For information on relevant state laws, consult an attorney.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COPYRIGHT AND NATIONAL ORIGIN OF THE WORK
Copyright protection is available for all unpublished works, regardless of the nationality or domicile of the author.

Published works are eligible for copyright protection in the United States if any one of the following conditions is met:

On the date of first publication, one or more of the authors is a national or domiciliary of the United States, or is a national, domiciliary, or sovereign authority of a treaty party,* or is a stateless person wherever that person may be domiciled; or

* A treaty party is a country or intergovernmental organization other than the United States that is a party to an international agreement.

The work is first published in the United States or in a foreign nation that, on the date of first publication, is a treaty party. For purposes of this condition, a work that is published in the United States or a treaty party within 30 days after publication in a foreign nation that is not a treaty party shall be considered to be first published in the United States or such treaty party, as the case may be; or

The work is a sound recording that was first fixed in a treaty party; or

The work is a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work that is incorporated in a building or other structure, or an architectural work that is embodied in a building and the building or structure is located in the United States or a treaty party; or

The work is first published by the United Nations or any of its specialized agencies, or by the Organization of American States; or

The work is a foreign work that was in the public domain in the United States prior to 1996 and its copyright was restored under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA). Request Circular 38b, "Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA-GATT)," for further information.

The work comes within the scope of a Presidential proclamation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT WORKS ARE PROTECTED?
Copyright protects "original works of authorship" that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device. Copyrightable works include the following categories:

literary works;
musical works, including any accompanying words
dramatic works, including any accompanying music
pantomimes and choreographic works
pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
motion pictures and other audiovisual works
sound recordings
architectural works
These categories should be viewed broadly. For example, computer programs and most "compilations" may be registered as "literary works"; maps and architectural plans may be registered as "pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works."

WHAT IS NOT PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT?
Several categories of material are generally not eligible for federal copyright protection. These include among others:

Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression (for example, choreographic works that have not been notated or recorded, or improvisational speeches or performances that have not been written or recorded)

Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents

Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration

Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and containing no original authorship (for example: standard calendars, height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables taken from public documents or other common sources)

Icey
09-25-2003, 10:37 PM
u ask a question about copyrighting ur music on a kazaa forum!! :lol:

MadDog-2000
09-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Even the RIAA has not been able to fully copy protect its music from us :D , what gives you the idea your music is any safer than theirs? :P

3RA1N1AC
09-25-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Octopussy@25 September 2003 - 10:40
if u wana copywrite it get that little c with a circle around it and write copywright 2003
as absurd as that answer might sound, it is true. there is nothing you HAVE to do to have a copyright, besides be the author of the material. unlike trademarks and patents which must be officially registered, your copyright is implied by law. if you don't use the circled C, you have an "implied copyright" from the moment that you finished the work. if you use the circled C followed by your name and the year, it's called an "explicit copyright." it is actually illegal to place a copyright symbol on something that you did not author, unless it was created under a work-for-hire contract (i.e. if you are a company which owns the copyright to everything that your employees create under contract).

there are lots of ways to prove that you are the owner of the copyright, though. if you publish it and nobody else can prove that you plagiarized from them or it's in the public domain, the published copy is proof of your copyright. copyright owners typically submit a copy of their work to a major public archive or library (such as the u.s. library of congress), to establish proof. i think paying a notary public to view/listen-to your work and create a note stating that they saw it on a certain date can be used as proof, as well.

if you are a musician who wants to distribute free mp3s of your music but you don't want people to redistribute the music for profit... you can edit the mp3's comment tag to include a copyright notification and a comment about what circumstances for redistribution are allowed, just to make it kosher.

as for copy-protection, that's a whole other matter. like MadDog-2000 said, there is no significant way to stop people from copying music yet... aside from suing people who engage in piracy, or using expensive experimental technologies like audio watermarking and disc-protection.

Evil Fish
09-27-2003, 04:36 AM
i'm in a band and we record music all the time and release it so i know all about copyrights. check it out: after a piece is recorded its automatically copyrighted. yup thats it, all you have to know is: record it and it's copyrighted :D

don't believe me? go to the US Copyright Office's (http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ56.html#automatic) official website.