PDA

View Full Version : Operating System Not Found

supastylin
09-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Ok. I know ur tired of me sending this message and personally, I am 2. But i was without internet for like 5 days so i need help. If you can't help me, I'll try calling acomputer store.

Ok Balamn...... what is the difference between the boot disk and a startup disk. will a start up disk work better than a boot?

for those who don't know.... My laptop says Operating System not found when i turn it on. I can't do anything with it ( I can't even type in it just u can use the keys in BIOS). I tried Boot Disks and CD's but no hope. Can anyone help me.

asmithz
09-25-2003, 09:19 PM
You need to reinstall windows becuase you deleted it somehow. (mabey you went to format you hdd)

supastylin
09-25-2003, 09:31 PM
It won't give me the C: Prompt to do any of that. It just goes straight to Operating System Not Found and it won't let me press anything. I was to told to try to install dos.

fr600
09-25-2003, 09:35 PM
No, he can't reinstall windows. Go to bios setup n u'll see that no hard disk is there. So u need to check the wire that r connecting ur hard disk to ur mother board...

Connect those properly n see whether ur hard disk there in bios setup or not. If it is there then try to run ur computer normally n after that if it doesn't work, reinstall windows...

LTJBukem
09-25-2003, 09:35 PM
Do you have a Windows cdrom? If so you can boot from that and reinstall your OS.

You'll need to go into your computers bios. This is usually done by holding down the delete (not backspace) key when you turn on your computer. In the bios, find an option that says boot from first device> Choose CDRom. Save changes and restart(usually F10).

Now with your Windows CDRom in the drive, it should begin to install windows. You may be given the option to repair windows, if you've anything in particular that you would like to save on your computer the choose this. If not then reformat then install Windows.

EDIT

Originally posted by fr600@ 25 September 2003 - 21:35
Go to bios setup n u'll see that no hard disk is there. So u need to check the wire that r connecting ur hard disk to ur mother board... It's a laptop, so you shouldn't need to check wiring. Although, yes, while in bios check that your hard drive is detected.

supastylin
09-25-2003, 09:39 PM
I've tried that. I was told to install DOS. I think that my Wire did come out from the hard drive. BUt i don't know where to open up my laptop to find out. So...any other ideas.

skelley521
09-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Goto bootdisk.com and download the correct bootdisk for your operating system.
Execute the file and it will make a floppy bootdisk for you.
Insert the floppy into the lappy and turn it on. (bios needs to be set to boot from floppy first) and yes even with no operating system you are still able to get into your bios, its just a matter of knowing the correct key. (F12; Delete button or something like that)

When your lappy boots with the floppy, select the option to install support for cd roms and hit enter. When its finished loading the drivers and you are back to the A: type either setup or autoexec (make sure your cd is in the drive first)

If all goes well it should boot the cd and start the installation process.

Also HERE (http://pcsupport.about.com/library/weekly/aa082602a.htm) is a site that may also help.

Hope this helps,
Steve

fr600
09-25-2003, 09:49 PM
Don't try to check the wire if its a laptop. Take it to a computer store...

asmithz
09-25-2003, 09:50 PM
All you need is the disc inside to install windows, dont install it in dos mode.

asmithz
09-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by fr600@25 September 2003 - 13:49
Don't try to check the wire if its a laptop. Take it to a computer store...
No is say there's no OS found. That means theres a hard drive butit cant find the OS.

supastylin
09-25-2003, 10:06 PM
Quit Arguing. Did you read ALL of what i said int he first place? I cannot type anythign. I have tried boot disks. It doesn't work. I know im the one asking for help but u are telling me to do things I have already tried.

LTJBukem
09-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Have you tried putting your Win 2000 disc in? It maybe that your XP is not bootable; did you burn it as an image? Do you know what i mean when i say image?

Try booting from your 2000 disc.

supastylin
09-25-2003, 10:09 PM
I tried all of the boot disks and Cd's i had (including win2k). I extraced the ISO and burned the Files under CD-ROM (ISO) in NERO 6.

and the xp disc is bootable when i put it in my computer im using now. it comes up withthe options and all. NOw.....how did you know that i burned it in the first place?

balamm
09-25-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by supastylin@25 September 2003 - 14:11
Ok. I know ur tired of me sending this message and personally, I am 2. But i was without internet for like 5 days so i need help. If you can't help me, I'll try calling acomputer store.

Ok Balamn...... what is the difference between the boot disk and a startup disk. will a start up disk work better than a boot?

for those who don't know.... My laptop says Operating System not found when i turn it on. I can't do anything with it ( I can't even type in it just u can use the keys in BIOS). I tried Boot Disks and CD's but no hope. Can anyone help me.
A boot disk is just to get you into your OS or into dos to prepare or repair things.
A startup disk will start a clean system into dos and load all the setup files needed to install a particular OS.
Your hard drive is being found. That's not the problem. You are going to have to find out if their is in fact a system left to repair. Use the repair function on the startup disk to get into dos and start a repair. log in if you can. If you can't login, Get back to dos and type c:\dir and see if there's anything there. If there is, try rebuilding the bootloader through repair.

I'd just wipe it and reinstall personnally. Use the startup disks to fdisk and format.

LTJBukem
09-25-2003, 10:14 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;en-us;q310994 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310994)

And what's with the attitude you little brat. If you'd bumped your old thread, we'd all know what you had tried and what not.

supastylin
09-25-2003, 10:22 PM
I am not being a brat. You guys just keep telling me to do stuff but it's like u don't even read what i type. I tell u that i tried something and it doesn't work but it's like goes through one eye and out the other. Thanks for trying to help but i'll just find a computer consultant.

leonidas
09-25-2003, 10:23 PM
Is the whole computer a brand product, like Compac or something, cos I've heard about those have special integrated bios settings who can piss u off a lot.

If not then, the problem may come from an recent aborted or corrupted bios update, corrupted or fake boot disk(s) (as said above this board),

To know if your harddisk is conected & works, have a look when your computer starts, to the hardware listing, it should be listed on the master wire.

Johnny_B
09-25-2003, 10:33 PM
Try creating an MS-DOS startup disk.
Go here (http://www.theeldergeek.com/create_ms-dos_startup_disk.htm).

It's not very different from the boot disks but it's worth the shot.

supastylin
09-25-2003, 10:34 PM
it is a Compaq Presario. Mine when it turns on it won't show the listings.

leonidas
09-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by supastylin@25 September 2003 - 23:34
it is a Compaq Presario. Mine when it turns on it won't show the listings.
Do you mean that he usualy never shows it, or just doesn't this time?

supastylin
09-25-2003, 10:59 PM
never shows it.

fr600
09-25-2003, 11:12 PM
I am used to this...

Operating System Not Found

Doesn't show when windows has been deleted or sth... It occurs when hard disk is not properly connected. All the files in hard disk including windows n all are there. Nothing to worry about it. Just check in BIOS whether hard disk is shown there or not...

supastylin
09-25-2003, 11:15 PM
should i open my laptop and find out?

fr600
09-25-2003, 11:18 PM
You know it better... If you can do it then go on... But if its me I would never do it...

ilw
09-25-2003, 11:34 PM
what actually happens when you booted the xp disk? Did it show your hard drive partitions and did it actually install/do anything, if it did then your hard drive is fine. I can't think of what it could be , unless its something really daft like you haven't got your hard drive as one of your boot options in bios?

LTJBukem
09-25-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by supastylin@ 25 September 2003 - 23:15
should i open my laptop and find out?

I wouldn't start f**king about, taking your laptop to bits. You doon't exactly come across as being that tech savvy. And besides, i don't see why, if it was working fine before, the hard drive would be buggered. If you can't get into BIOS then your laptops dead. If you can get in to your Bios, look and see if it's detecting the hard drive. If it's not, try autodetecting it.

nanotek
09-26-2003, 05:18 PM
i'd just go to some computer store and get it checked