PDA

View Full Version : Feral Hosting

xpestilencex
05-22-2009, 04:25 PM
so i found this website, with reasonably cheap seedboxes.
has anyone ever used them??
if so, how are they in terms of speed and reliability?

http://www.feralhosting.com/plans

Six66Mike
05-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Never used them but know of them. Everyone is always commenting how good the support is and they are always available on IRC etc. Some of the screenshots of speed I've seen have been pretty stellar as well.

xpestilencex
05-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info,
i might go with them.
unless you know of any other seedboxes with similar setups?

Six66Mike
05-23-2009, 02:48 AM
i'm not sure how their setup compares to my own :)

eqisow
08-06-2009, 03:48 AM
Unfortunately, the staff isn't very knowledgeable and is rather unprofessional. They didn't know anything about LVM and wouldn't set it up on a dedicated server, despite supposedly offering custom partition layouts.

I stated flat out that if they couldn't offer LVM I wasn't interested and wanted a refund. They proceeded to set up my server anyway. I'm now in the process of attempting to get a refund and will try to update with how that goes.

Rart
08-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Heh its interesting to see a seedbox site owner to speak well of another site. Too bad you guys are all sold out :-P

Bungholio1
08-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Anyone know what is the set up time is for a seedbox ordered from Feral Hosting?

FransTormer
08-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Anyone know what is the set up time is for a seedbox ordered from Feral Hosting?
Less than 72 hours; as it says clearly on their site...:shutup:

Bungholio1
08-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Less than 72 hours; as it says clearly on their site...:shutup:

I'm looking for someone who ordered a seedbox from Feral hosting to comment on the actual time it took between ordering & receipt.

Feral hosting can quote whatever set up time they want on their website.

FransTormer
08-06-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm looking for someone who ordered a seedbox from Feral hosting to comment on the actual time it took between ordering & receipt.

:unsure: Not sure what you on about m8 but if someone would say "it took 9 hours", we can make a pretty safe bet that after 10 hours you be here screaming again you didn't get the order fulfilled yet.

Feral is quoting the maximum setup-times they have from their supplier; there are a zillion factors that can influence every order ranging from a Feral-admin walking his dog 2 minutes longer to a router at the supplier that breaks down for some reason.

Yeah, I do understand you want a clear answer but no, nothing in life is sure nor is a Feral setup...

Bungholio1
08-06-2009, 11:20 PM

:unsure: Not sure what you on about m8 but if someone would say "it took 9 hours", we can make a pretty safe bet that after 10 hours you be here screaming again you didn't get the order fulfilled yet.

Feral is quoting the maximum setup-times they have from their supplier; there are a zillion factors that can influence every order ranging from a Feral-admin walking his dog 2 minutes longer to a router at the supplier that breaks down for some reason.

Yeah, I do understand you want a clear answer but no, nothing in life is sure nor is a Feral setup...

I asked for the time between order & receipt from anyone who has actually had a Feral box set up.

I'm not looking for any guarantees or commitments.

monkeyseat
08-07-2009, 12:09 PM
I payed for a box yesterday but they have them on backorder so it will take at least a couple of days before I get access to it (one of the admins said they would hopefully get the servers within a couple of days).
Another customer contacted me yesterday and said he had already been waiting three days without any news so it seems like it can take quite a while to get a box set up at the moment.

They seem to be pretty new and the availability will probably (hopefully?) improve once they get settled and get better deals with the provider, which I believe is OVH.

I think it's pretty sneaky to write "availability: 9+" and "setup time: <72hrs" when you might have to wait a week or two before getting a box.
But apart from that they seem to be really good, they're cheap, I hear they have nice speeds and their IRC support is good.

I'll update this thread with speedtests and stuff once I get access to the box.

beethoven
08-07-2009, 10:58 PM
i ordered one, and within 15 minutes it was operational.
but it just depends on your plan, and if they have one available, i guess

oklahomasucks
08-08-2009, 12:54 AM
lol their whole site is down.

Rart
08-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Works just fine for me.

oklahomasucks
08-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Its back up. Any more reviews?

momassalha
08-08-2009, 08:36 AM
they have good offer i hope they continue i would test their services if i have seen good reviews.

monkeyseat
08-09-2009, 06:39 PM
They seem to be short-staffed so administrative issues might take a while, but Joshua (the main man) is a really friendly and helpful guy.
I went for the power plan and have tried out some torrents and the speeds are great, I get around 10MB/s but it maxes out at more.

I have however only had it for a couple of hours so I can't really comment on the overall speed. Also, the power plan servers are shared by 10 users each.
I started using the server pretty heavily and the owner said he would cap me if I used too much bandwidth.

It's kind of understandable since there are other users on the server too, but I still think they should inform of this up front instead of saying that they do not cap any speeds.

All in all, it's a pretty sweet deal if you only intend on using smaller ammounts of bandwidth (for example seeding at music trackers and such).
If you plan on seeding heavily, I would recommend you choose another supplier (or go with their dedicated plan, but I don't really know how good it is).

oklahomasucks
08-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I have however only had it for a couple of hours so I can't really comment on the overall speed. Also, the power plan servers are shared by 10 users each.
I started using the server pretty heavily and the owner said he would cap me if I used too much bandwidth.

Jeez that sucks.

monkeyseat
08-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm not really sure if I understood what he meant, but I visited the IRC channel to ask if it was possible to raise the maximum ammount of connections per torrents and got this reply:

be careful, if you hog too many resources I will lower them. Number of peers != speed on 100Mbps boxes and beyond
It's when it gets hit negatively do I start editing .rtorrent.rc filesThe servers are shared by 10 people each, but the owner told me the specs were awesome so I don't really understand why many peers would be such a high strain on the server.
I can't remember the specs, but I think it was something along the lines of 8GB RAM and double quad processors.

Rin
08-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Isn't it just common sense that if 1 pr!ck messes up the server for everyone he will be limited?, im on Feral aswell and my servers been getting screwed by someone so im all for the limiting its not like you're buying a private 1 user box.

monkeyseat
08-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I am also for limiting, but I don't understand why they don't give everyone a fixed limit (in this case 100mbit/s each) instead of letting them use unlimited b/w and then threaten to limit it.
Also, I don't understand why they have a limit of 20 peers per torrent. You can run 100 torrents with 20 active peers each if you like, but it isn't possible to raise the limit for a single torrent above 20.

I'm a total newbie so I don't really understand the technical mumbo jumbo, but the way I understood it he said he would lower the ammount of connections for me to even less than 20 (and possibly limit the bandwidth?) if I used too much server resources.

How should I know how much resources my torrents are eating? :unsure:
And why is this even a problem if the servers have such impressive specs? 2-3 active torrents can't be eating that much CPU/memory, can they?

_Lemon_
08-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Hello all,

I'm just going to run through some answers to the questions asked here, I'd rather everything was the truth.

Unfortunately, the staff isn't very knowledgeable and is rather unprofessional. They didn't know anything about LVM and wouldn't set it up on a dedicated server, despite supposedly offering custom partition layouts.

I stated flat out that if they couldn't offer LVM I wasn't interested and wanted a refund. They proceeded to set up my server anyway. I'm now in the process of attempting to get a refund and will try to update with how that goes.

You ordered first before getting an answer on LVM. When I said "no experience" I meant that it's not an option to receive support for; in my position if I had said yes I would have been expected to be an expert with the tools and then would have been blasted when I fall short of not knowing every aspect of LVM.

There was also another part to decline installing LVM: the servers come with pre-installed images, like many other hosting providers do to help speed up the process of clicking through the installer every time.

Perhaps I should look into more options for the future, who knows.

The times quoted on the plans page (http://www.feralhosting.com/plans) are fairly accurate. If there are slots available it will remove the "9+" and "<72 hours" and quote 15 minutes. The number available is the exact number that are available.

I think it's pretty sneaky to write "availability: 9+" and "setup time: <72hrs" when you might have to wait a week or two before getting a box.

There have only been a couple of instances where the set up times have exceeded 3 days, but even then it's not been as bad as a week. I'll happily offer a refund if that does happen though.

There are 9 users per server, some users will have extra FTP accounts and then there are other files/folders in the /home directories such as ftp, lost+found, to quote off the top of my head.

As for the capping, it isn't done. What I mentioned to someone on IRC today was that if the user edits the configuration files so that they are dominating sever resources (in one case someone tried to specify 1000 available peers) I will come in and tweak them to give others a fair chance.

When you're looking at using torrent speeds greater than 100Mbps you will find that the people who can fill it also have similar connections so having a huge number of peers will not dramatically increase speeds.

That's all folks! Feel free to drop me a line via e-mail: [email protected] or a support ticket (https://www.feralhosting.com/manager/support) via our website.

I am also working on permanently correcting the set up time thing. I really would prefer 15 minutes over a day or two as well!

xeqtr
08-10-2009, 06:19 AM
OP: Your question was how long it took from your order to receiving a confirmation from your order, it took me 2 minutes. (from receiving the welcome to feralhosting-detals) to receiving the order confirmation from google checkout.

Setup took roughly about 2― day or so, but according to the website, 72 hours was stated, so that's definately okay.

In terms of seed cap, I was told as well (by Joshua) that adjusting the amount of seeds pr torrent wouldn't make any speed difference. Obviously, this is in my opinion a false statement. Right now my fastest download have been at 4.8 mb/s I think, while connected to 10 seeds, obviously being connected to 20 or 25 seeds on some of the more private trackers would probably increase this speed as well.

Also, I wrote how to do this, and I got a nice email describing in detail how to adjust seeds/torrents - But no warning regarding adjustment of the speeds. (I was gonna bump it to 25 pr torrent in stead, which is also what I use at home whenever I download/upload stuff on my uTorrent client).

At first feralhosting can seem a bit confusing, but I think I am getting the hang of it and so far it seems reasonable.

Right now the page is down :( - which sucks. Can't connect to anything unfortunately. Might be the firewall where I work, not sure though.

EDIT:

Seems like it's the firewall where I work that's blocking the traffic. I am able to connect using the Remote GUI through an open proxy somewhere in Germany.

monkeyseat
08-10-2009, 01:25 PM
There have only been a couple of instances where the set up times have exceeded 3 days, but even then it's not been as bad as a week. I'll happily offer a refund if that does happen though.Yeah, I understand that it can be a bit clogged up from time to time if the supplier doesn't have enough servers available, but if that is the case I think you should rather put out a notice about it on the site. I wouldn't mind waiting a few days extra as long as I were informed about the server status.

I recieved my account within the given time (<72hrs), but as I said, I spoke to guy who had already waited three days when I placed my order and I am assuming he recieved his account at around the same time as me.

I'm not in any way racking down on you, I am just giving suggestions to try to improve the service for the users.

As for the capping, it isn't done. What I mentioned to someone on IRC today was that if the user edits the configuration files so that they are dominating sever resources (in one case someone tried to specify 1000 available peers) I will come in and tweak them to give others a fair chance.

When you're looking at using torrent speeds greater than 100Mbps you will find that the people who can fill it also have similar connections so having a huge number of peers will not dramatically increase speeds.I'm not neccessarily looking to max out the connection, but as previously stated I haven't been able to get more than 1MB/s upstream, even on popular torrents with one seeder and many leechers.
That was however back when the peer limit was 20. I have yet to try out the new limit (40), but I am assuming (and hoping) that I will be able to get at least a bit better speed upstream.

The downstream speeds have been insane, peaking at about 60MB/s (yes, 60MB/s!).

Also, I haven't quite understood the whole "resource hogging" thing. Wouldn't it be possible to limit the user to 100Mbit/s each, instead of giving everyone full access to the Gbit line?
That way, people would be able to max out the connection without having to worry about causing trouble for the other users. It feels a bit weird to have to limit the torrent speeds yourself.

Right now my fastest download have been at 4.8 mb/s I think, while connected to 10 seeds, obviously being connected to 20 or 25 seeds on some of the more private trackers would probably increase this speed as well.Then the peers you are connected to have pretty slow connections. I was able to max out a torrent at a whopping 60MB/s, downloading a file of ~8GB in a matter of minutes.
That was also when they had the 20 peers per torrent limit. It has now been increased to 40 per torrent, which means better speeds (assuming the people you are connected to have slow connection).

At first feralhosting can seem a bit confusing, but I think I am getting the hang of it and so far it seems reasonable.I am of the same opinion. That could however be because I am new to this whole seedbox deal, but I am also pleased with the service (especially for the low price they offer).

I have yet to find a host that matches their plans and prices.

Right now the page is down :( - which sucks. Can't connect to anything unfortunately. Might be the firewall where I work, not sure though.They have been having some DNS issues, but it should be fixed very soon and then there will be no connection problems. :)

On a side note I can mention that the reason why you can't reach the site is because your DNS hasn't been updated, the "problem" is in other word not server side and there is nothing feral can do to speed up the update process. AFAIK no DNS updates take more than 72hrs, so everyone should be able to fully access the site/servers within a day or so.

EDIT: For some reason, the peer limit is 20 on some torrents and 40 on others. Does anyone have any idea why it is this way?
Could it have something to do with the torrents size? The torrent which is <1GB has a maximum peer limit of 40, but the larger torrent (5GB+) has a limit of 20.

Rart
08-10-2009, 03:14 PM
The site seems to be down atm =/

I have one question for you lemon, will you guys be affected by the new change in OVH plans?

_Lemon_
08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm not in any way racking down on you, I am just giving suggestions to try to improve the service for the users.

It's very much appreciated. I do consider all the feedback given and really, this has come up a few times. The "9+" is confusing and could be replaced with something a bit clearer. However I'm in the school of thought that I really should be investing ahead in having many more servers up and ready available. Bring on the 15 minute set up times (basically the time it takes for the payment to come through + 5 minutes)!

EDIT: For some reason, the peer limit is 20 on some torrents and 40 on others. Does anyone have any idea why it is this way?
Could it have something to do with the torrents size? The torrent which is <1GB has a maximum peer limit of 40, but the larger torrent (5GB+) has a limit of 20.

There isn't anything to say "less peers for larger torrents" in rTorrent or Transmission as far as I'm aware. It could be quite simply a matter of not having that many peers available for the torrent -- can't make them want to connect to you.

The site seems to be down atm =/

DNS issues (DNS is hosted at Leaseweb currently). Refreshing constantly until until it decides it does want to work seems to get things working just fine.

I have one question for you lemon, will you guys be affected by the new change in OVH plans?

Only the speed plans are on the Kimsufi and I reckon the bandwidth is better than before but only time will tell. I plan to double the disk space on the speed plans and then sell off the old Kimsufi L servers that I have on a first come first server basis.

redguard
08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
'DNS issues'

Open a command line prompt and type 'ipconfig /flushdns'. That should clear it, and it should also flush the toilet, he he he.

_Lemon_
08-10-2009, 08:00 PM
'DNS issues'

Open a command line prompt and type 'ipconfig /flushdns'. That should clear it, and it should also flush the toilet, he he he.

Ahhh unfortunately it's nothing to do with your own computer. It's all Leaseweb's side of things as they're running it.

I think things have cleared up now, should be OK within 24 hours.

monkeyseat
08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
There isn't anything to say "less peers for larger torrents" in rTorrent or Transmission as far as I'm aware. It could be quite simply a matter of not having that many peers available for the torrent -- can't make them want to connect to you.I've been doing some testing and it appears as if rtorrent automatically places a limit of 20 peers per torrent when leeching and then bumps it up to 40 once it starts seeding.

Is it possible to change the limit manually? As I said, I'm not out to hog resources, but wouldn't it be possible for you to put out a global connection limit and then let the users decide how they want to distribute them? I'd prefer running a single torrent with 50 or maybe even up to 100 peers than a whole bunch of torrents with 20 peers each.

Also, do you offer RSS support (in form of RSSDler or similar) ? I added an RSS feed to the webGUI of rtorrent, but apparantly it is simply an RSS-reader which displays new torrents.

_Lemon_
08-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Is it possible to change the limit manually? As I said, I'm not out to hog resources, but wouldn't it be possible for you to put out a global connection limit and then let the users decide how they want to distribute them? I'd prefer running a single torrent with 50 or maybe even up to 100 peers than a whole bunch of torrents with 20 peers each.

Ahh, well in that case, edit your ~/.rtorrent.rc file and restart rtorrent. You're wanting to change the values "max_peers" and "max_peers_seed".

Also, do you offer RSS support (in form of RSSDler or similar) ? I added an RSS feed to the webGUI of rtorrent, but apparantly it is simply an RSS-reader which displays new torrents.

The RSS feeds in wtorrent are a bit useless. There is also a lot of information on our internal FAQ pages, under software there is quite a good guide on setting RSS up properly: https://www.feralhosting.com/manager/faq-view?question=23

On a side-note, finally got through plenty of new servers I've been waiting on. You can see the plans page (http://www.feralhosting.com/plans) telling you how many slots there are that will be set up in 15 minutes!

oklahomasucks
08-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Finally got a box from them and am relatively satisfied. On the Power Plan (160gb storage gigabit for $25/month)

Down speeds go from 2-7MB/s. Up speeds on a somewhat active torrent is between 1-2.5MB/s. Tried a speed test on the FTP to wget a file from another server and that averaged at about 9MB/s.

I really like the fact that they have an active IRC channel, with staff there to help if needed.

BasementWayne
08-13-2009, 07:36 PM
My setup time was 10 minutes:
Ordered at: Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM
System ready at: Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Rock steady server and up/down speeds.

b4ckl4sh
08-19-2009, 04:29 PM
I tried them out for a month. They weren't for me, since they didn't allow any additional program installations outside of what came with the server. Other than that, speeds were decent and so was support. I'd recommend them if you're just looking to torrent and willing to use their software package.

ovhftw
08-21-2009, 10:49 PM
For price Ferahosting offers it's best seedbox I have got till this day! Using 10 GBP Space Plan.First week speeds was not that great, but then they slowly picked up and now it's averega 10-30 MB/s down speed and same with uploud.Best results was like 50 MB/s UP/ 55 MB/s DOWN simultaneously couple of days ago. Depends how many active users are on your server.Many people are using like couple of torrents of week, others like evertything that comes. :D

cabala
09-24-2009, 05:15 PM
@Lemon

Are you planning to offer rTorrent+ruTorrent anytime in the future?

I am really not a fan of wTorrent but like the look of your seedbox deals.

EDIT: found it in the FAQs. I got a feral box just after posting this and received it within 10 minutes

OmarH
09-24-2009, 06:11 PM
thats already been available for a while

bluepixie
09-26-2009, 03:31 AM
I setup with feral hosting a little while ago and I've been really happy with their service. My torrents d/l fast and they seed fast as well. the gui's can get slow at times but thats only if you have a ton of trackers and a crappy connection... or it could just be raining out side.

I'm on the edge of getting another account with them. Had to do some car maint. so we shall see next week.

Here is a screen shot of the fastest speeds I was able to get from them.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2z51ue9.jpg

sabre
09-28-2009, 01:23 AM
i've had a feral box for about 2wks now and im not that happy with their service. First of all, their upload is capped to 3MB/s on my box so the minimum is the max for me and my server keeps running out of ram, torrents just crawl to a stop... this is with about ~40-50 torrents running... ridiculous

also, rtorrent was meant to be upgraded from 0.8.4 -> 0.8.5 which hasn't been done because of 'compiling' errors on debian ...

Fibre
10-01-2009, 03:49 AM
this is with about ~40-50 torrents running... ridiculous

What's the specification of the box? 40-50 active torrents is a lot.

also, rtorrent was meant to be upgraded from 0.8.4 -> 0.8.5 which hasn't been done because of 'compiling' errors on debian ...

I'm kind so here's a hint: Tell him to use SVN.

unoriginal
10-04-2009, 09:43 PM
I looked at signing up with Feral and got the following specs out of them:

Speed Reloaded plan has 4 users per server with 2GB of memory
Power has 9 users per server with 8GB of memory.

I didn't ask about HD size or processor speeds.

RAZ-R
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I just got login details from feral after 10 minutes from payment so far i am satisfied here is screenshot

http://i35.tinypic.com/2uhqo8y.png

OlegL
10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I just got login details from feral after 10 minutes from payment so far i am satisfied here is screenshot

http://i35.tinypic.com/2uhqo8y.png

According to this screenshot, your seedbox has 1 Gbps of uploading speed, but they don't advertise any seedboxes on their website that have 1 Gbps of upload.
Edit: Oops, my mistake. They do offer such seedboxes on their site.

unoriginal
10-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know what Feral is reselling?

Mugur
10-08-2009, 10:12 AM
OVH UK. I Think the IPs should be removed.

brgroup
10-15-2009, 05:30 AM
5 days and waiting for Dedicated Server despite 3+ servers listed at <72 hrs. Feral having problems getting new servers according to Joshua.

We have experienced an unexpected delay in our ability to get new servers from our provider. We are working with them to resolve the issue.

Will hang in for a couple more days and see where we are at. Hopefully they'll maintain communication. Was looking forward to working with these guys.

junky_hero
10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
any more reviews about this hoster ?

james223
11-17-2009, 06:04 AM
Considering buying a Power Plan. Seems good for AU$25 (14.99 pounds) regarding the speed and size of the Hard-drive.

Thelen
11-24-2009, 08:50 AM
OVH UK. I Think the IPs should be removed.

I think you're paranoid ;) Seriously though, whose to know its not a faked photo-shop anyway ;)

OVH UK is the company, but all the servers are in France, and no they aren't subject to the 3 strikes law, because its a UK company they are exempt ;)

darko135
12-06-2009, 02:55 AM
signed up a few days ago download speed is as advertised but somehow i always have almost noone seedeing from me and even if they do the speed is very low

brgroup
12-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I have a Power box from them that I just got..Whew, ATROCIOUS! upload speeds..Literally capping out at 500KBs max..Downloading is what you'd expect, sometimes 23MBs...But I get a seedbox to seed..

Also, the server has been rebooting at least twice a day randomly...so somebody is mucking around with something somehere, lol!

Sorry Joshua but this 1gbs box is a fail for me right now..And I'm quite happy with my Kimi C-05 server..too bad..

Have one of their smaller plans on order..Maybe with less users we'll see better results. Otherwise, for a seedbox, better off getting 2 person shared root Kimi for 18eu at Seedplace..

http://i45.tinypic.com/1248qyt.jpg

thomas1499
12-06-2009, 07:27 PM
thx for the post brgroup, i would order today my 2nd box from Joshua...

Nativus
12-26-2009, 04:52 AM
I have a Speed Reloaded slot from Feral Hosting and have been using Feral since July. I must say I have been impressed with the service and speeds I've gotten. Not only do they provide rtorrent and transmission, but they also have easy to install OpenVPN, MySQL, http hosting, and no bandwidth cap. My speeds on the server are excellent for 10 quid a month, quite a deal. I haven't ever noticed slow uploads myself. It could've been specific to that server.

barsa021
12-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Today they put traffic limits on their plans. On power plan it's 1TB per user.

unoriginal
12-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Wow, that sucks. What happens when you hit the limit? Do they disable your account (except FTP access) until your next billing cycle?

xuxoxux
12-30-2009, 05:07 AM
WTF! And I was waiting for a payment transfer to go through to buy a power plan! What gives?!? This will stop me from buying from them. And damn, their plans looked so god damn good!

phauk
12-30-2009, 05:11 PM
This guy 'Lemon' is actually one of the dumbest people I have had the pleasure of reading a post by :|

I have a Speed Reloaded slot from Feral Hosting and have been using Feral since July. I must say I have been impressed with the service and speeds I've gotten. Not only do they provide rtorrent and transmission, but they also have easy to install OpenVPN, MySQL, http hosting, and no bandwidth cap. My speeds on the server are excellent for 10 quid a month, quite a deal. I haven't ever noticed slow uploads myself. It could've been specific to that server.

it clearly says on his site there is a 750GB cap on that plan :whistling

he buys a box (kimsufi c05g, 3TB upload cap @ 100Mb/s, then drops to 10Mb/s), puts a few accounts on it, says the bandwidth is split between what, 3TB / 4 = 750GB (you think he knows how to split 3TB between 4 people).. but all I see is people saying he can't set up this or that, so you were probably lucky enough to get a box that wasn't used much by the other users, where as others will all be hitting a box @ once...

His website design tells me everything I need to know :yup:

unoriginal
12-30-2009, 07:34 PM
They just added the caps to their plans within the last couple days. I had an account with Feral for a couple months back in June and July. And back then the bandwidth was unlimited. I have a feeling they are starting to buy some of the newer rate limited Kimsufi's. Maybe they figure its easier to list a limit rather then deal with some people who are on the older true unlimited servers vs those on the 3TB ones.

googleplex
12-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Yup...this is gay I had 1.5TB traffic on speed reloaded before the limits came and now im maxed out at 1mb/s down and 500kb/s up

oklahomasucks
01-05-2010, 04:25 AM
Yea, I'm capped out also. Been with them for 6 months and just got screwed. Will not be renewing.

LadyGaga
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
i am with feral! using feral box rite now n its slowwwwwwwww!

worst customer service ever, very lame answers, very lame website! cant wait till this box expires tommo!!!

i advise ppl to keep away!

PooBar
01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
whats wrong with feral atm? i cant load rutorrent or rtorrent!!

EDT: They are back up and running

googleplex
01-06-2010, 09:04 PM

worst customer service ever, very lame answers, very lame website! cant wait till this box expires tommo!!!

Quoted for truth

PooBar
01-06-2010, 09:16 PM

Quoted for truth

sorry but i need to disagree,i get almost instant reply with a ticket and have got all the help i have asked for from the guys, only thing is i think someone on my server is sucking most of the 1gigbit line !!

phauk
01-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Quoted for truth

sorry but i need to disagree,i get almost instant reply with a ticket and have got all the help i have asked for from the guys, only thing is i think someone on my server is sucking most of the 1gigbit line !!

you disagree with what lady says yet you say the speeds are not what you are paying for?

One word, gullible or retarded - you decide. :yay:

googleplex
01-06-2010, 10:49 PM

Well the website interface sucks, I have a ticket open from 2 weeks ago, and evertime I go on the irc they just tell me to make a ticket. Oh yeah, when have you gotten your box, and how much traffic do you have?

oklahomasucks
01-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Quoted for truth

Yes, they have no way ATM to share the bandwidth, so some noob could use up all the server bandwidth uploading gay porn.

STAY AWAY!

PooBar
01-07-2010, 12:54 AM
well that was a statement and a half that i made, currently getting 4.5MB/s up

was in their irc this morning and got the answer i was after within a few minutes.

guys, you need to be nice,but i may have to find this fxxkxr who is sucking the bandwidth by constant complaining

edt: i must say though, this is my first box so i guess i am very excited about the bandwidth ,my home connection only uploads at 1mbit

googleplex
01-07-2010, 02:59 AM
well that was a statement and a half that i made, currently getting 4.5MB/s up

was in their irc this morning and got the answer i was after within a few minutes.

guys, you need to be nice,but i may have to find this fxxkxr who is sucking the bandwidth by constant complaining

edt: i must say though, this is my first box so i guess i am very excited about the bandwidth ,my home connection only uploads at 1mbit

4.5mb/s! be careful before they limit you....

PooBar
01-07-2010, 03:40 AM
well its back to 1 now, like i said this is my first box so i wouldn't be surprised if you move onto a dedi sooner than later,
the more research i do the more options i see i have,
i might just use feral for learning purposes atm ;-)

Nativus
01-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Actually the traffic limit is up only. Download is still unlimited. I doubt I could ever hit those up amounts. So it only effects the seeding. I come no where near to seeding 750 GBs in a month D:

You all need to compare them to other seedbox hosters. The price is still good.

I have had good customer service and they're a bargain. My up and down speeds are great too. I pulled down 11 MB/sec once and have uploaded about the same. Usually it ups so fast I can't get the speed by the time rutorrent refreshes ^_^

Stop hating!

xuxoxux
01-08-2010, 11:00 PM

I come no where near to seeding 750 GBs in a month D:

Stop hating!

Im guessing hate is coming from users who are used to upping a couple TB (which is not that hard if you know how). lol. A 1 TB limit cant be felt for active users....

oklahomasucks
01-09-2010, 08:45 AM
We hit our limit 20 days of our 30 day period. It blows now.

Thelen
01-09-2010, 10:55 AM

Maybe you should setup a seedbox business and try do better. I'm glad you remembered that all these problems are caused by OVH, and that we, the seedbox providers, can't do ANYTHING about it.

dance4
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM

Maybe you should setup a seedbox business and try do better. I'm glad you remembered that all these problems are caused by OVH, and that we, the seedbox providers, can't do ANYTHING about it.

Why are you writing it's OVH fault if you know that's not true. Xrivik , feral hosting and not only bought servers with the 3TB limit per month and sold them as unlimited. Now the are trying to blame OVH. The new offer presented in 2009 including the servers had traffic limit. It was known The first day the offer appeared so how come OVH cheated you? Funny:) At first your deceit was not revealed because OVH didn't calculate traffic in the first months but when they (rightfully) started doing in you got into trouble. But you might have expected that...

Thelen
01-10-2010, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=Thelen;3368919]
It was known The first day the offer appeared so how come OVH cheated you? Funny:) At first your deceit was not revealed because OVH didn't calculate traffic in the first months but when they (rightfully) started doing in you got into trouble. But you might have expected that...

That is not correct though. OVH reps and the like made it common knowledge that the shaping did not happen as was stated on their website and contract. In fact many things are inaccurate.

I would say OVH deceived us, by offering a service that did not experience limitations they could have imposed by their contracts, and then suddenly imposing those limitations.

I agree that it is within OVH right to do it, but when they have gained service by not enforcing their contract and spreading knowledge that it is much better than it seems, they are being deceptive...

Anyway, we providers are not being deceptive, when stating unlimited it does not refer or guarantee to get the full speed...

dance4
01-10-2010, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=dance4;3368928]

That is not correct though. OVH reps and the like made it common knowledge that the shaping did not happen as was stated on their website and contract. In fact many things are inaccurate.

I would say OVH deceived us, by offering a service that did not experience limitations they could have imposed by their contracts, and then suddenly imposing those limitations.

I agree that it is within OVH right to do it, but when they have gained service by not enforcing their contract and spreading knowledge that it is much better than it seems, they are being deceptive...

Anyway, we providers are not being deceptive, when stating unlimited it does not refer or guarantee to get the full speed...

So you suggest they deceived you not capping the traffic from the very beginning but just now? It's clear you bought a limited traffic and sold it as unlimited. Your explanations are still vague and in fact illogical. The truth is that you not OVH cheated your clients not telling them what things looked like.
I thing you should stop placing these funny posts because you're making fool of yourself...

pifpaf
01-10-2010, 03:32 PM

I come no where near to seeding 750 GBs in a month D:

Stop hating!

Im guessing hate is coming from users who are used to upping a couple TB (which is not that hard if you know how). lol. A 1 TB limit cant be felt for active users....

i agree :yup: its not hard to up 1Tb in a month.

phauk
01-10-2010, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=Thelen;3369461]

So you suggest they deceived you not capping the traffic from the very beginning but just now? It's clear you bought a limited traffic and sold it as unlimited. Your explanations are still vague and in fact illogical. The truth is that you not OVH cheated your clients not telling them what things looked like.
I thing you should stop placing these funny posts because you're making fool of yourself...

lol.. well said mate, couldn't have put it better myself.

everyone knows the traffic limits were screwed on the ovh servers, but it could have been put in the small print (tos) which you tick when you buy an ovh server, so they could have put it on theres... don't advertise something as unlimited just because the traffic counter was broke, and now it's fixed, cry about it and blame ovh.

ArcMatriel
01-17-2010, 12:02 AM
I have been a customer of them since May, I highly recommend them at least for their seedboxes because you have lots of freedom. I'm not sure about dedicated boxes.

PooBar
01-31-2010, 09:42 PM
So my first month with Feral has finished and i have decided to move to another provider.I was not getting the bandwidth i was paying for.Very rarely did it go past 4MB/s and most of the time i would just be uploading at around 1>2MB/s (yes i know about seed/leech ratio)and this is on a 1gigabit line.
I had a shared box with 6 other i believe but not matter what i could never get the speeds i expected,which was at least 5>10MB/s on brand new torrents from a top private tracker.
I have now moved to Customseedbox.com and am very happy.
I have a Dedi with 500gig of space and a 100/100 line,unlimited,i get 10MB/s often and sits on that speed for quite some time,not just a few seconds.
The help is very good,always got an answer within the first 1/2 or so and am getting a better deal then what i was getting.
If you want to go with Feral do so but i think Customseedboxes are way better.

unoriginal
02-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Have you seen the new plans at customseedbox? http://www.customseedbox.com/2010

Unless you need the HD space, they kinda put that measly 3TB OVH limit to shame.

PooBar
02-01-2010, 09:44 PM
They are very good plans if you are after a shared box. I have a dedi with them and have had just for a week so far and have upped over 1.1TB already

PooBar
02-03-2010, 07:41 AM
servers seem to go down a bit, they are down atm..again

edt;feral that is.

HDlover
02-08-2010, 03:27 PM
anyone here tried the new BURST offer on feral??

Does it still suffer from the slow transfer problems as the previous plans?

oklahomasucks
02-08-2010, 06:57 PM

Burst has a 2TB limit...

What's the point of having a 10G connection, when u have a 2TB limit? Completely pointless plan.

ertemmstein
02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
yeah, it is just a hunt for newbies,1gbps line with 2TB limit,ahahah

thisguy
03-06-2010, 04:02 AM
i just got a power plan from feral i must say im very happy with it, my last box was from seedboxworld.com they suck bad horrible compared to feral and i paid the same price. feral ftw

oklahomasucks
03-07-2010, 07:17 AM
i just got a power plan from feral i must say im very happy with it, my last box was from seedboxworld.com they suck bad horrible compared to feral and i paid the same price. feral ftw

If you dont use a lot of bandwidth, you'll be happy with the service.

Darude9000
03-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Good seedbox expect 10 users are sharing it.

unoriginal
03-10-2010, 03:34 AM
Feral apparently is offering unlimited plans now.

https://www.feralhosting.com/heron/slots/

10GBP for 55GB and 25GBP for 190GB. Anyone know which datacenter they are using for the new servers?

pimkin
03-10-2010, 05:18 AM
But those are 100mbps only like with other seedbox providers :P.

unoriginal
03-10-2010, 07:33 AM
But until they offered these plans all they had were upload limited plans. I would say that at least they are offering unmetered plans like other companies at 100mb. Not that it matters, I still don't think the new plans represent a very good value.

googleplex
03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
The only new plan they have is the splash plan..the speed plan they always sold it just wasn't on the front page it was on the older plans tab

kjp
03-17-2010, 01:24 AM
The site's previous downtime makes me a bit skeptical of their reliability. But, their dedicated server deals (OVH reseller) seem to be reasonably prices in comparison to other resellers and OVH themselves.

PerMaFrOsT
03-17-2010, 02:32 AM
The site's previous downtime makes me a bit skeptical of their reliability. But, their dedicated server deals (OVH reseller) seem to be reasonably prices in comparison to other resellers and OVH themselves.

They resell from ovh.co.uk besides the loss of value of the euro makes them to have very cheap prices.

kjp
03-17-2010, 02:41 AM

They resell from ovh.co.uk besides the loss of value of the euro makes them to have very cheap prices.

I agree, I am not sure how they are making that much of a profit though.

PerMaFrOsT
03-17-2010, 02:56 AM

I agree, I am not sure how they are making that much of a profit though.
Itīs just another way to make business, less profit -> unmanaged servers, add that they use Google Checkout with less taxes and thatīs it.

Thelen
03-17-2010, 02:26 PM
They make profit because they don't have to pay VAT (well they get it back but yea).

The 10GBP 55GB speed plans are on the old kimsufi 08 1GB ram 250GB hdd, unlimited 100Mbit. They put 4 people on the box, so basically the same as Xirvik and their server.lu offerings (though with 4 vs 6-8 ppl).

Lazy29
03-26-2010, 03:05 AM
I have been using feral for past month and its been good so far. I used up the 1TB external bandwidth pretty fast

psygnosis
03-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi to everyone...
ı'm thinkg to buy a dedicated Kimsufi Personal C-05G .Can ı use winrar, amule etc. with thıs server? İf ı'll buy thıs sever, use only by me isnt it not shared.
I dont know so much about seedbox so ı mıght be asked silly questions.
Sorry for my bad englısh btw.

tehKitten
03-28-2010, 06:25 PM
I have the "Speed" slot for more than a week now, and I think it's awesome!
I get 10MB up and down at max. (10MegaByte, not bit)
I paid with paypal, first the owner (Joshua, _Lemon_ in the IRC channel) didn't see the payment, so I gave him the payment number (or how you call it) and I had access to my slot within 5 minutes!
The support is awesome, most of the time you got an answer within 10 minutes.
You don't have to do it with one client, rTorrent. If you still want to you can use it with wTorrent or ruTorrent. You can also choose Transmission or Deluge as an client.
I prefer Transmission with a Remote, so it looks and feels like a torrent client running at your home pc.

I asked to install Irssi on my slot, and they did it without any questions. In that way you can run an IRC bot. I have now an IRC bot running with only triggers, but you can use it for files too! You got full SSH access to your slot.

Rapidleech is also allowed to run on your slot. you can use it for a website too if you like.
Unlimited torrents. And the plan I chose has also unlimited traffic.

The downtime is like 10 minutes every 4-5 days, but still, it's the most awesome price/quality hosting I have ever seen on teh intrawebs!

faster04
03-28-2010, 06:44 PM

I've had the Burst Plan for 2 1/2 weeks now,and I got to say it's fantastic!Support is right there,too!
Here's a screenshot of one of my torrents (it actually topped out around 55-60 MB/s):

http://imgur.com/ZVMFPs.jpg (http://imgur.com/ZVMFP.jpg)

technodrome
04-09-2010, 09:34 AM
I cannot reach both feralhosting home page and my seedbox page. Does anyone knows what happened?

Pikachu
04-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I cannot reach both feralhosting home page and my seedbox page. Does anyone knows what happened?

Mate but Feral's Opening Fine for Me. At least the site is, dont know about Seedbox because I dont use it :)

Have Fun!

mummysboy
07-12-2010, 04:02 AM
I seem to be locked out of my website with feral too. Cant even access the main website.

Hopefully it is just some maintainance but they never emailed me of any downtime.

And i think its a bigger issue tbh - http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/feralhosting.com

Hopefully they fix connectivity soon.

freak12345
07-14-2010, 04:06 PM
also got myself a speed slot just yesterday (this is my first seedbox btw) and all i could say is that this is money well spent... the hdd size is a little low but what else can you expect for a 10gbp slot...

the d/l speeds are great though i haven't been able to check my upload speeds yet... and oh, the best thing is that the traffic is unlimited...

i was initially thinking of using this seedbox for only a month but now that i'm quite satisfied with the service (so far), i'm now considering to making this part of my monthly expenses...

the staff (particularly _Lemon_) are also helpful by the way...

the only problem that i'm having so far is in trying to connect to the openvpn server that was installed in my slot which i hope i will find a solution for with the help of their staff...

qonad
07-17-2010, 04:07 PM
I have the Speed slot for more than a week now, and I think it's great! I get 10MB up and down at max.
I paid with paypal, and I had access to my slot within 5 minutes!
The support is awesome, most of the time you got an answer within 10 minutes. You don't have to do it with one client.
I prefer ruTorrent though as it is FAST.

edit

808state
07-17-2010, 08:42 PM
I got the Burst Slot about a week ago and love it.
I've reached a top upload of 58MB/s and download of about 63MB/s.

SkyW
07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
how hard is this to setup? For someone with no linux knowledge,... I see software is automatically installed, does that mean even with no linux knowledge one should be able to use torrents?

freak12345
07-21-2010, 03:38 AM
how hard is this to setup? For someone with no linux knowledge,... I see software is automatically installed, does that mean even with no linux knowledge one should be able to use torrents?

setting up is not difficult... after the software that you clicked is installed, you will find the link and information that you'll need to access the app that you installed (e.g. after rutorrent is installed, a link to the webui is provided together with your username and password).

a little knowledge in computing will help but i don't see a necessity for someone to have knowledge in linux unless you plan on using SSH...
besides, the website has a bunch of how-to's that you can follow like how to access your files through a web browser, how to setup rapidleech, etc...

and if everything else fails, you can reach their support team through their IRC channel or by getting a support ticket (though i would recommend using the former)...

HongLeong
07-21-2010, 11:54 AM
i like to try this..but no slot available everytime i check.. :(
i'm not familiar with twiter. too bad :(

but how the speed? look like they have many user shared on 1 server..
isnt it going to slow the speed?

freak12345
07-21-2010, 03:12 PM
i like to try this..but no slot available everytime i check.. :(
i'm not familiar with twiter. too bad :(

but how the speed? look like they have many user shared on 1 server..
isnt it going to slow the speed?

you might want to checkout their 'old' slots since they always are available most of the time....
i'm using a shared server with 3 other users besides me... speed's not an issue even if there are 3 other users occupying the server that i'm using but then again that's just my opinion...

HongLeong
07-21-2010, 07:49 PM
ok i misunderstanding..the one which not available is bytesized hosting not feral.

are you using Neon on feral? seems like very good deal...

freak12345
07-22-2010, 05:12 AM
ok i misunderstanding..the one which not available is bytesized hosting not feral.

are you using Neon on feral? seems like very good deal...

I'm on a tight budget so I only got a Speed Slot... External traffic is still unlimited but I save 5GBP compared to Neon.
But Neon is a good deal by itself since you'll have more than 4x the HDD space to use compared to Speed... that is, if you don't mind the 5GBP difference.

Thelen
07-22-2010, 06:29 AM
The specs of the server they use for the 101Mbps slots is:
Some quad xeon
8GB ram
11x1TB hdd
Gbit NIC, with iptables being used to limit each user to 101Mbps (so it won't help to just run multiple torrent clients, they limit PER USER)
2-6 users per HDD, average of 30 users per server.

Overall the speed sucks compared to their old/discontinued plans, BUT you get a tonne more space. I never saw more than 5MB/s in either direction, the load on the server was just too high (lack of RAM, 30 users 8GB is too little). Apart from that, had a small issue with setup, had to manually make a ticket for Joshua/Lemon to fix it, but shit happens it was fixed in 24 hours.

For speed I'd definitely recommend other providers, but if you just want to seed 2-3MB/s (6TB a month roughly) then it might work. Of course, you can also get OVH based services that are unmetered with far less users per server, so depends if you want the space or not.

freak12345
07-22-2010, 09:05 AM
The specs of the server they use for the 101Mbps slots is:
Some quad xeon
8GB ram
11x1TB hdd
Gbit NIC, with iptables being used to limit each user to 101Mbps (so it won't help to just run multiple torrent clients, they limit PER USER)
2-6 users per HDD, average of 30 users per server.

Overall the speed sucks compared to their old/discontinued plans, BUT you get a tonne more space. I never saw more than 5MB/s in either direction, the load on the server was just too high (lack of RAM, 30 users 8GB is too little). Apart from that, had a small issue with setup, had to manually make a ticket for Joshua/Lemon to fix it, but shit happens it was fixed in 24 hours.

For speed I'd definitely recommend other providers, but if you just want to seed 2-3MB/s (6TB a month roughly) then it might work. Of course, you can also get OVH based services that are unmetered with far less users per server, so depends if you want the space or not.

Thanks for the insights dude, I was actually thinking of trying out the Neon slot after my current one expires since I always run out of HDD space but with the info that you gave, I think I'm better off staying with my current plan. I'd rather go with speed over a large disk space for a shared speedbox.

wolfseed
07-22-2010, 11:52 AM
if you want to test a feral seedbox come check me out wolfseed.com chat or on the forum for more info :)

Thelen
07-23-2010, 11:50 AM
It is still an OK slot, it just isn't that great if you want super speed. IE, you'll need to use the disk space and keep torrents active, vs seeding for a few hours.

freak12345
07-23-2010, 12:29 PM
It is still an OK slot, it just isn't that great if you want super speed. IE, you'll need to use the disk space and keep torrents active, vs seeding for a few hours.

seeding torrents on my end is a different story since even though i remove the files that i'm seeding from the seedbox (torrents in my seedbox usually lasts around 1-2 weeks before i remove them to free up space), i continue to seed it on my local machine, though the peers that will be connected to me after that will not get much since my ISP's upload speed is crappy.

by the way, do you have an idea how many users are sharing the server used for the Speed slot plan?

Thelen
07-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Speed slot (55GB), is 4 on one of the old 250GB 1GB unmetered. Speed reloaded is also 4, but on one of the metered 3TB c500g ones.

unoriginal
07-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Does anyone here have one of the new Feral Leaseweb slots? If so what kinds of speeds are you seeing to OVH based slots. I've heard that the upload isn't great but I really want to move to something other than OVH for my next host.

tjheller
09-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Ive been with feral for 6 months and they are great all-around

koflako
09-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I have a doubt...
Feral Hosting has the option to rar folders???

cause i have an account with seedunlimited and i can't do this.....

and i'm looking for another seedbox with better features...

Regards

Thelen
09-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Well you can use command line rar yes, but there is no interface/gui for it no.

CevapsizSorular
10-01-2010, 12:55 AM
I didn't liked Feral Neon Slot. Not good one.

Rdysn5
10-04-2010, 08:01 AM
I've just got a question about Feral Hosting. What OS do they use on their Slots? Are they linux only or is there an option to use windows server with them, like on OVH?

Thelen
10-04-2010, 12:56 PM
There shared slots are all linux, Debian, though the dedicated server you can get windows with yes.