PDA

View Full Version : Xp Is Gone!

The Kiler
09-25-2003, 11:07 PM
I was playing Warcraft III when all of a sudden it froze.. So i just reset the computer and it toke 5 years for it to detect that there is no boot sector on IDE-1

Windows XP Professional Setup doesn't detect the HDD.. That's the 5th HDD that the computer has killed! WTF is going on?

1- Brand new bought HDD
2- given hdd
3- given hdd
4- given hdd
5- Brand new bought HDD

fr600
09-25-2003, 11:22 PM
I don't think it happened for Win XP Pro... May be there are some other reason...

ultimatejester
09-25-2003, 11:43 PM
post this in the hardware world. u will get more help over there

3RA1N1AC
09-26-2003, 12:34 AM
could be a lot of reasons. do you move your computer around, a lot? a physical jolt could damage a hard drive. is the temperature inside your computer unusually high? it might be heat-damaged. have you been overclocking or messing with the motherboard's voltages? it could be electrical damage.

my best guess is that your hard drives are getting killed by electrical damage, though. if not from overclocking, it might be caused by a shoddy power supply unit, power surges, or faulty electrical wiring in your house.

make sure that you use a power supply unit from a respectable name brand, use a surge protector with your computer, and consider having an electrician inspect the wiring in your house (tell him that you think the electricity might be damaging your computer).

there's no way you're losing that many hard drives simply because of bad luck. there's got to be a reason.

The Kiler
09-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Power supply was replaced twice
Surge protector on gaurd
Not over clocking
Fan cooling- not heat damaged
Never messed with the motherboard's voltage
Faulty electrical wiring is a not it.. I have 2 other computers, all fully operational. At one time 1 of the other computers moved to the location of this bad computer.
2 HDDs we're killed not from physical movement. (1 is given, 1 is new)

3RA1N1AC
09-26-2003, 01:04 AM
okay, then maybe you do simply have rotten luck. :blink:

fr600
09-26-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@26 September 2003 - 07:04
okay, then maybe you do simply have rotten luck. :blink:

Exactly...

leonidas
09-26-2003, 01:30 AM
It maybe caused by those little green dwarfs who steal underpants to people.
Maybe you never wear underwear so they try something else to bother you.
Just buy a pibull & don't feed him :ph34r:

The Kiler
09-26-2003, 01:35 AM
Some conflict in the computer..

Gotta buy a can of Anti-Green dwarfs.. Any one can find a nice cheap canistar?

DarthInsinuate
09-26-2003, 05:11 PM
my hard drive went bust once when my power-pack fan broke - the hard drive overheated and i had to replace it

also there's a certain manufacturer (i can't remember which one) that has a really bad reputation of hard drives dying

chinook_apache
09-26-2003, 07:10 PM
have you checked ur bios settings ? or configured the jumpers correctly?

The Kiler
09-27-2003, 12:23 AM
2 Hard drive types
Wester Digital
MaXtor

Board is jumperless and bios is at factory settings

balamm
09-27-2003, 01:09 AM
Clear your CMOS and try it again. I've been having the same thing with XP lately. It looks very much like there are no hard drives but clearing cmos returns them. XP is unrecoverable though. It doesn't happen with win2k yet so I'm guessing it's some new trick from MS or .... ???

The Kiler
09-27-2003, 03:08 AM
CMOS now cleared... Xp setup can not access hard drive...

balamm
09-27-2003, 04:53 AM
Are you able to install DOS? As a test only.
Maybe you need to use a win98 startup disk and fdisk and format before trying again.
If your hard drives were not being detected, escd or cmos would give you an error right away and show no drives before it even got to the XP setup part.

The Kiler
09-27-2003, 01:36 PM
BIOS sees the HDD. I click f3 to detect the HDD and it shows up. As for format it says "Invalid Hard disk, Can not open specified hard disk"