PDA

View Full Version : Cooking/home improvement

LRG
05-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Im creating a cooking/home improvement tracker as i havent seen one that fits this niche and i love diy etc... I was hoping for some feedback and ideas? I have started coding it using gazelle...

Thanks

Stellar
05-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Awesome idea. People might say that BitMe already provides stuff you may offer, but I think a tracker like this is needed.

Is the tracker going to have all sorts of DIY content (Make magazine, etc.)?

zedex
05-25-2009, 12:59 PM
nice idea , i dont see myself as a member there but good luck !
for this staff i use mostly youtube

LRG
05-25-2009, 01:18 PM
yes it will include cook book rips home made recipes, home improvement dvds cook tv all media for all cooking and home improvement (TV,MAGAZINES,AUDIO,DVD,EBOOK ETC )

Stellar
05-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Well I'm sure some people here are able to provide content for the tracker. :D A site like you're proposing has a lot of potential... it could showcase projects by the members and stuff like that.

If you need any help with graphics or CSS don't hesitate PM me.

cinephilia
05-25-2009, 01:31 PM
a tracker dedicated to cooking ? lol.. i'd say good old cooking books would serve the purpose.

good luck anyway..

LRG
05-25-2009, 01:35 PM
stellar ive been looking for CSS And GFX person all day :L ill pm you now.

Stellar it wont let me pm you...

Stellar
05-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Ah yeah you haven't been a member long enough to PM. I've got some contact info in my profile (biography section), so use that.

I'll respond in some hours as I have to attend to some business.

LRG
05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
contacted thanks. has anyone got ideas for this tracker? any feedback would be great ill release site link in about a week and setup beta testers.

sez
05-25-2009, 04:59 PM
yes it will include cook book rips home made recipes, home improvement dvds cook tv all media for all cooking and home improvement

umm...you sound like you are starting a tracker for stay-at-home republican housewives...IMO i.e
but hey,its high time martha stewart came to BT..i think..

You really really went queer and straight out of the box with this one,i wont be joining but just for that i applaud you :yup

Am tolerant of differences,and like they say hate the act but not the person.I wish you and all those with your preference the best.I hope that all these people encouraging you will actually be joining.
I can provide a recipe on how to cook steam just to start you off if you want :P
gl

Crowley
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM
I think you can succeed if you put enough effort into it.

Create a ripping groups. One that will be ripping TV show episodes regarding home improvement/cooking and second that will be scanning exclusive recipe books this way you will have exclusive content on your website. Do not rely on already existing stuff as it will make your tracker merely noticeable.

filenetworks
05-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Excellent idea - specially in a world populated by so many general.0day trackers. Once you launch the site let us know if you want us to publish an article on our blog.

1000possibleclaws
05-26-2009, 04:14 AM
Good luck with this, and remember that you will most likely have to pay for the costs every single month, and won't be able to rely on members to do that, especially upon startup. Could be a big investment on your part with no monetary returns or even enough donations to break even ever. Although you've probably already planned this out seeing as you've started to code it.

n00bz0r
05-26-2009, 05:02 AM
Niche Trackers FTW!
as TSOL just said, be prepared to pay and look after the finances of your tracker for at least a few months.There are so many new trackers opening up everyday, but you could try and have an edge over them by getting some exclusive content. In all probability, that should be enough to attract prospective members who may later choose to support your tracker as well.
Moreover, presence of 50 odd torrents on a newly opened tracker definitely increases its chances of meeting an untimely demise.I would suggest you to start looking for passionate and dedicated uploaders to help you with the content before you open up to BT users.

All the best in this endeavor of yours.

cinephilia
05-26-2009, 05:11 AM
seriously, who the hell would be interested in a cooking tracker ?
did you ever think about what fringe of the population were actually using private trackers ?
be realistic...

RevoMikey
05-26-2009, 05:40 AM
I like the idea of the home improvement.

1000possibleclaws
05-26-2009, 05:55 AM
did you ever think about what fringe of the population were actually using private trackers ?
be realistic...

Haha yeah that's what I thought, and was why I was saying he might not ever break even on the monthly bills

n00bz0r
05-26-2009, 06:14 AM
well you never know. Different things appeal to different people.
This might click with stay-at-home republican housewives. :lol:

Stellar
05-26-2009, 06:36 AM
I think if he expands the tracker categories to include stuff you see in MAKE magazine, etc. it could work out quite well. Not just a cooking tracker, but an all-encompassing DIY tracker. Electronics stuff, wood-working, and things like that.

n00bz0r
05-26-2009, 06:42 AM
I think if he expands the tracker categories to include stuff you see in MAKE magazine, etc. it could work out quite well. Not just a cooking tracker, but an all-encompassing DIY tracker. Electronics stuff, wood-working, and things like that.
Yeah, that could work out very well. Towards the end, its just about improvisation and adding categories (With Content ofc) which are almost non existent at other places.
A lot of hard work in terms of organization and content management would be required to make this tracker successful especially considering the niche its trying to fill up. :P

shipwreck
05-26-2009, 09:46 AM
But nerds can't cook for shit, that's the problem. If that's his mission however, to teach bittorrent nerds how to cook, more power to him.

Good luck with the site.

zedex
05-26-2009, 12:40 PM
most of this content is free on the net , by google/youtube or others site , thats why i dont see the good in opening a tracker like that .

tutipute
05-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Me...:P
I actually thought about creating one about a year ago. I actually think that Interest will not be the main obstacle but Content, that's why i gave up on the idea.

cinephilia
05-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Me...:P
I actually thought about creating one about a year ago. I actually think that Interest will not be the main obstacle but Content, that's why i gave up on the idea.
at least, he can rely on a good future member :yup:

I think if he expands the tracker categories to include 0day it could work out quite well.
fixed :P

Rigel9
05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
But nerds can't cook for shit, that's the problem. If that's his mission however, to teach bittorrent nerds how to cook, more power to him.

He could name it F.e.e.d.T.h.e.N.e.r.d.s :happy:

edit: stupid wordfilter

EviLz
05-26-2009, 05:33 PM
It's a good idea by the way and i guess many ppl will join such a tracker.

OTO
05-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Nice idea mate.
Good luck.

LRG
05-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Thankyou everyone for a mainly good response. If people are going to post things negatively about nerds and not queers dont. Stop trolling ffs. I can take critisicm but make it constructive.

cinephilia
05-26-2009, 09:30 PM
If people are going to post things negatively about nerds and not queers dont. Stop trolling ffs. I can take critisicm but make it constructive.
actually, that was constructive criticism with a bit of humour.
personally, i doubt many torrenters will be interested in a cooking tracker but that's just my opinion..

I'm Hot
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah because "torrenters" would rather sign up at a new 0day tracker with 500 members just for the leetness of it.

Sorry the off topic OP, good luck.

Ah, and I would sign up BTW.

LRG
05-27-2009, 12:09 AM
actually, that was constructive criticism with a bit of humour.
personally, i doubt many torrenters will be interested in a cooking tracker but that's just my opinion..

How was that constructive? You could of stated some ideas etc..

Thanks were looking to be done coding in about a week.

cinephilia
05-27-2009, 12:20 AM
how do you expect me to give you some ideas since your tracker is almost ready to open ?

LRG
05-27-2009, 12:35 AM
weve got a week its 5 am here i stay awake for quite awhile so im sure i could code something in.

Im open to people constucting a catogorie list here.. Post all the catogories you want for the tracker and they will be noted...

sez
05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah because "torrenters" would rather sign up at a new 0day tracker with 500 members just for the leetness of it.

Sorry the off topic OP, good luck.

Ah, and I would sign up BTW.

of course u will.u are a collector<---jk :P

shipwreck
05-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Thankyou everyone for a mainly good response. If people are going to post things negatively about nerds and not queers dont. Stop trolling ffs. I can take critisicm but make it constructive.

Telling the truth is never 'trolling', and that nerds can't cook for shit is the flambéed, puréed, sautéed truth. The majority of your potential members would be glad if they could nuke an instant meal properly, let alone cook.

Good luck though, you'll need it.

shipwreck
05-27-2009, 10:15 AM
double post

sez
05-27-2009, 10:52 AM
weve got a week its 5 am here i stay awake for quite awhile so im sure i could code something in.

Im open to people constucting a catogorie list here.. Post all the catogories you want for the tracker and they will be noted...

music videos,preferably mp4s to watch on your ipod while you cook.
A motherhood section would be awesome too.juggling between squeaking babies,dirty diapers,home improvement and cooking is a science that needs to be demistyfied.
Diary room,where guys can whine of how miserable their lives are and how they think their husbands are cheating on them and what nots.
Rehab section for anorexics and bingers.
You are bound to have lots of gay members,so you might wanna have a place where they can exchange info on gay bars and gay sites.

But honestly man why would you start a cooking tracker and yet we told you we wanted one for music videos,that's what i have a problem with,did you even read you earlier thread.you obviously had made up your mind on everything hadn't ya?

342 reads on a supposedly new tracker thats meant to fill a gap should tell you you are headed the wrong way man(soz if u r a chic)
if this is the new way of getting laid then my apologies.i also got a thing for milfs ;)

Rigel9
05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
WTF? Since when are DIY and cooking considered particularly gay activities :frusty:

cinephilia
05-27-2009, 01:50 PM
open it a whole month and then, close the registrations and the invite system: i'm pretty sure many people will discover a passion for cooking like they did with magic stuff when AOM has started to become rare :happy:

sez
05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
WTF? Since when are DIY and cooking considered particularly gay activities :frusty:

why do you think so?

Rigel9
05-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Well, you kinda implied it.

Great comeback though...

LRG
05-28-2009, 02:28 PM
hmmmmmm Cooking Niche is small the project is on hold. As certain people have approached me with regards to a MusicVid niche. These people have experience so i am considering that.

sear
05-29-2009, 04:09 AM
A section with DYI electronics and PC hardware stuff would be cool and would get some interest I would think. If you could work it in your budget to rip and up the latest issues of some of the leading magazines in that kind of genre you'd be a step ahead.

I think a tracker focusing on all sorts of DYI would be pretty cool not just cooking but anything people do for hobbies. I'm sure you could get lots of content you could even go to your local library and rip scan a crapload of books ect...

The big problem for you will be content. Once you're well established you'll probably find people willing to help out but what you really need (what all trackers need) is a group of dedicated uppers who are willing to pay out of their own pocket server costs for their boxes and in this case perhaps buying books and mags to up.

I would also consider user generated content. I'm sure a bunch of people have stuff at home they could up on the tracker and you might find people really get into it.

Anyway good luck with your endeavor and make sure you're prepared to pay the server bills for many months and subsidies them for even longer after that.

EDIT:

lol...never mind I just read your post :P