PDA

View Full Version : Winrar Help

3rd gen noob
09-26-2003, 03:25 AM
ok, i wasn't quite sure where to put this, so i thought i'd put it here...sorry to the mod who has to move it if it's in the wrong section...

since i got broadband, i've found myself downloading more and more movies. mostly from newsgroups.
now, these movies are split into rar's, which usually means i can't preview them until i have the full film (and then it's not a preview, is it? :P)
anyway, i never found a way to preview these files...until now

all you need to have is the first of the rar files (usually *.rar)
then, go to the download folder and extract the first rar.
obviously you don't have all the files needed to build the full file, so once you get to the 'gap' in the number of files you have, winrar will pop up asking where the next file is...

don't hit anything on winrar now or you won't get a preview. if you just close winrar, you'll lose the part-extracted film...

all you need to do is copy the part-extracted film (it'll be in the same directory as the rar's (unless you specified other)) to the same directory. then you'll be able to preview all you have on the copy of the part-extracted file
now you can close winrar

hope this helps some people who have problems previewing rar films...

Johnny_B
09-26-2003, 03:29 AM
Good tip, although newsgroups files are rarely fakes. :)

3rd gen noob
09-26-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Johnny_B@26 September 2003 - 03:29
Good tip, although newsgroups files are rarely fakes. :)
yeah, i've never had a fake yet, but even on my broadband connection, it takes about 3-4 hours to dl a 700 meg film...i'd like to see a preview while i'm getting it :D

TClite
09-27-2003, 01:39 AM
great tip, and does the job nicely

HellBoY
09-27-2003, 01:54 AM
how do u split one big file into small files, a website or manual guide would be good :unsure:

3rd gen noob
09-27-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by HellBoY@27 September 2003 - 01:54
how do u split one big file into small files, a website would be good :unsure:
http://www.google.com

:rolleyes:

[B][O][T]
09-27-2003, 09:42 AM
Or go here (http://www.webattack.com/downloadfind.php?action=s&st=split).

BOT

4th gen
01-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Bumping this one because I've just found out there's an easier solution. Instead of just extracting the first rar, go to "Extract files..." and check the box under Miscellaneous marked "Keep broken files" then Save settings. This'll mean that all the data up until the first missing/incomplete/corrupted file will be kept after you close winRAR

DWk
01-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Nice - Winrar rules :D