PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Reinstall Or Reformatt 3-12x A

zapjb
09-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Some people reformatt or reinstall their OS all the time. I see them saying just formatted so.... My computer is running well. And I haven't reformatted or reinstalled in over 18 months. Here's how I managed.
Ever since I got a spare HDD, I Ghost it every 2 to 5 wks. A couple times I was so tired or tweaked on coffee, I shouldn't have been fn with my computer. Ghost literally saved me weeks of time. It takes 30 minutes to Ghost my HDD vs weeks if I f it up. In fact when I got rid of NIS (replaced with Sygate PF Pro 5.1) & NSW (now NOD32 as resident & KAV Pro 4.5 as non-resident) the only 2 Norton products I kept were Ghost & Utilities.
Are you a masochist or is it just for fun?

MUSLEMAN
09-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@26 September 2003 - 05:54
Some people reformatt or reinstall their OS all the time. I see them saying just formatted so.... My computer is running well. And I haven't reformatted or reinstalled in over 18 months. Here's how I managed.
Ever since I got a spare HDD, I Ghost it every 2 to 5 wks. A couple times I was so tired or tweaked on coffee, I shouldn't have been fn with my computer. Ghost literally saved me weeks of time. It takes 30 minutes to Ghost my HDD vs weeks if I f it up. In fact when I got rid of NIS (replaced with Sygate PF Pro 5.1) & NSW (now NOD32 as resident & KAV Pro 4.5 as non-resident) the only 2 Norton products I kept were Ghost & Utilities.
lot of people don't evern know about ghost boss :lol:

SniperInTheShadows
09-26-2003, 12:41 PM
I used to reformat more than 12 time's a year, as I enjoyed having a totaly fresh installation of Window's (plus it was fun reinstalling and also I enjoyed messing with setting's etc to find out what did what lol), but since I got my new HD i've got Window's installed on old HD and use the new one for program's and download's etc and haven't reinstalled since (about 3/4 month's now!! Record for me!! lol) :-)

Most people do it due to virus' or other problem's that they just can't fix any other way though i'd imagine, whilst the rest are possibly a bit like me and like a fresh install or just enjoy doing it :-)

Sniper.

MetroStars
09-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Most people do it due to virus' or other problem's that they just can't fix any other way though i'd imagine, whilst the rest are possibly a bit like me and like a fresh install or just enjoy doing it

thank god iam not the only 1 :lol:

zapjb
09-26-2003, 06:34 PM
I guess I just don't get it. When Norton Ghost & other programs make it so easy.

Hellie
09-26-2003, 07:02 PM
YEAH BABY i`m a masochist :w00t:

chinook_apache
09-26-2003, 07:07 PM
i sue drive image and back up about once a month and it only takes like 10 mins to make a image and about 5 to replace it. easy shit for me! drive image or norton ghost which is better? :P

zapjb
10-20-2003, 03:00 AM
I'm seeing it again. People will just reformat at the first inconvenience. Ridiculous imo. :lol:

sparsely
10-20-2003, 06:41 AM
I dont' really like doing it very often...but sometimes I just do.
Like when I got my extra Hard Drive that I wanted to use to install all my games on...it was easier than uninstalling the old ones from C:, and reinstalling..then all the defragmenting...
Just reformat. I would use ghost...but I don't have a spare drive to keep the image on.

DWk
10-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+26 September 2003 - 10:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 26 September 2003 - 10:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-zapjb@26 September 2003 - 05:54
Some people reformatt or reinstall their OS all the time. I see them saying just formatted so.... My computer is running well. And I haven&#39;t reformatted or reinstalled in over 18 months. Here&#39;s how I managed.
Ever since I got a spare HDD, I Ghost it every 2 to 5 wks. A couple times I was so tired or tweaked on coffee, I shouldn&#39;t have been fn with my computer. Ghost literally saved me weeks of time. It takes 30 minutes to Ghost my HDD vs weeks if I f it up. In fact when I got rid of NIS (replaced with Sygate PF Pro 5.1) & NSW (now NOD32 as resident & KAV Pro 4.5 as non-resident) the only 2 Norton products I kept were Ghost & Utilities.
lot of people don&#39;t evern know about ghost boss :lol: [/b][/quote]
*OR* dont have another drive :(

DWk

clocker
10-20-2003, 03:08 PM
You don&#39;t need a completely separate drive, just a separate partition.

DWk
10-20-2003, 03:12 PM
ok lemme rephrase...

*OR* they dont have enough hard drive space for that

;) lol i have way 2 much downloads for me to have more space :S

DWk

zapjb
10-20-2003, 03:12 PM
To guard against instant catastrophic physical HDD failure seperate media is the best protection. I choose redundancy in a seperate HDD. :)

kurtsl0an
10-20-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@20 October 2003 - 15:12
To guard against instant catastrophic physical HDD failure seperate media is the best protection. I choose redundancy in a seperate HDD. :)
i agree w/u 100% that 2 many users just start over. what a waste.

but i only use redundancy on a server - my pc i only backup needed data files 2 a cdr.

guess if i had mo money or mo motivation, ghost would work nicely. i used 2 manage our local college&#39;s puters, and every 1 of them had 3 OS&#39;s, and 2 HD&#39;s setup in the same manner u have. anytime somethin went wrong, bang - ghost.

DWk
10-20-2003, 03:24 PM
lol

i heard some networks back up their hard drives every night with ghost.... w0ot....

DWk

kurtsl0an
10-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by DWk@20 October 2003 - 15:24
lol

i heard some networks back up their hard drives every night with ghost.... w0ot....

DWk
redundancy as in RAID 5, not ghost - ;)

leonidas
10-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Someone should explain how to use Norton ghost, & pin it.

clocker
10-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by leonidas@20 October 2003 - 08:55
The program is pretty intuitive and comes with an excellent manual.

DWk
10-20-2003, 03:58 PM
still....ppl prefer reading the forum than some .pdf manual, uc?

good idea....some1 get us a ghost tut and pin that little booga :D

DWk

muchspl2
10-20-2003, 04:06 PM
my only guess is there seems to be allot of kids who don&#39;t look at it the same way the older folks do, I consider it failer to reformat, just like conceiting to the computer, like it controls you and you have 0 controle over it, but it should be the opposite.
you should be able to control your PC, and if you get a problem, alleviate with out copping out to a reformat

DWk
10-20-2003, 04:07 PM
actually if you reformat you are sayin to the pc:

"die you mother:swear:in piece of :swear:"

lmao

DWk

leonidas
10-20-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by clocker+20 October 2003 - 16:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 20 October 2003 - 16:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leonidas@20 October 2003 - 08:55
The program is pretty intuitive and comes with an excellent manual. [/b][/quote]
However by this way the program will be known by more people, & this will for sure avoid lots of questions about problems.

leonidas
10-20-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by DWk@20 October 2003 - 17:07
actually if you reformat you are sayin to the pc:

"die you mother:swear:in piece of :swear:"

lmao

DWk
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: For sure&#33;

DWk
10-20-2003, 04:15 PM
word leo :D

DWk

nikita69
10-20-2003, 05:57 PM
very good point about Ghost. So, my suggestion to zapjb & MM is to create here a step by step guide, from A (the hash or link to the hash of a working version) to Z (Restore) about GHOST :)

zapjb
10-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Funny thing about Ghost. AFAIK there&#39;s at least 3 different ways to use it. I&#39;ve used 2 different ways.

***USE AT YOUR OWN RISK***
From Norton/Symantec, don&#39;t remember where. The second is this:

Cloning a hard disk or partition
You can clone a HDD directly to another HDD or a partition directly to another partition.

To create a clone task
1 In the Ghost Advanced window, click Clone, and then click Next.
2 In the Clone Wizard window, in the left pane, do one of the following:
Click a disk to select it as the source for the clone operation.
Click a partition to select it as the source for the clone operation.
3 In the right pane, do one of the following:
Click a disk to select it as the destination for the clone operation.
Click a partition to select it as the destination for the clone operation.
WARNING: The destination disk or partition is completely overwritten with NO
chance of recovering any data.
4 Click Next.
5 The Overwrite partition warning dialog box appears if you are overwriting
any of the following:
The current Windows partition
The Ghost instaallation
Click Next to continue.
6 If this is the first time that you have used Norton Ghost on this
computer, in the Add Ghost Disk Identification dialog box,
identify the disk.
7 If you want to set advanced settings for the clone, then click
Advanced Settings.
8 Click Next.
9 In the Important Information dialog box, if you do not want to view this
warning again, click Don&#39;t show this screen again, and then click
Next.
10 Click Run Now to start the clone operation.
Ensure that all applications on your computer are closed before
you run the clone operation.
Your computer is restarted and the destination HDD or partition is
cloned from the source HDD or partition.

sparsely
10-20-2003, 11:17 PM
If you&#39;re gonna get all philosophical about reformatting...
technically, restoring a ghosted image is no different than reformatting, you&#39;re just skipping all the mucking about with program installations,
you didn&#39;t actually fix anything...you&#39;re still "conceding" to the machine.

Maintaining it, fixing it&#39;s little quirks, and keeping it running smoothly for a couple years without having to restore...that&#39;s good management.

Honestly, most of the time people reformat, I think it&#39;s just a choice...the freedom of it being a box that belongs to you, so you don&#39;t have
to care...I don&#39;t like to do it too often, but if I&#39;ve installed then uninstalled a bunch of stuff (especially things like codecs, etc.) it&#39;s
much less trouble to reinstall than to delete a bunch of registry keys, blah blah blah.

but suit yourself. :rolleyes:

leonidas
10-21-2003, 09:12 AM
thx zapjb ;)

zapjb
10-21-2003, 09:20 AM
If you&#39;re sincere leonidas, you are welcome. That smilie makes it hard to tell.

MUSLEMAN
10-21-2003, 09:30 AM
File:NORTON GHOST 2003
Length:1Bytes,0KB
UUHash:=AQAAABj6QQIBAAMAAOD9fwEAAAA=

once you run it, it will take you thru it, its real easy

j4y3m
10-21-2003, 09:35 AM
I&#39;ve Never Reformatted Or Used Ghost In My Life :blink:

zapjb
10-21-2003, 10:13 AM
What is that MM? Length:1Bytes,0KB

leonidas
10-21-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@21 October 2003 - 10:20
If you&#39;re sincere leonidas, you are welcome. That smilie makes it hard to tell.
yes I&#39;m sincere. Maybe it&#39;s diferent in other countries, but in france when you look at someone closing one eye like that ;) , you express complicity & friendship. :)

leonidas
10-21-2003, 10:55 AM
/Off-Topic/:
There is some funny stuff about signs in different countries: Do you know what http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/thumbs.gif means in Iran?

It means "Screw you". And I&#39;m not kidding. This is due to the fact that when they have sex using their finger, they use the inch instead of the one in the middle like us. :lol:

MUSLEMAN
10-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by leonidas@21 October 2003 - 06:55
/Off-Topic/:
There is some funny stuff about signs in different countries: Do you know what http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/thumbs.gif means in Iran?

It means "Screw you". And I&#39;m not kidding. This is due to the fact that when they have sex using their finger, they use the inch instead of the one in the middle like us. :lol:
hey i&#39;m iranian and you are right thathttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/thumbs.gif = http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a0/boid.gif

those damn terorists :lol: altho the explaination for it is not true :angry:

leonidas
10-21-2003, 11:51 AM
altho the explaination for it is not true :angry:
What&#33;
One of my best friend is Iranien, & he told me that :huh:
I wouldn&#39;t say such a thing if I weren&#39;t sure.

I see that you use this:http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/thumbs.gif quite often. So are you speaking persian or english when you say that? :lol:

zapjb
10-21-2003, 12:25 PM
I&#39;ll try to wrest this thread back from these thread hijackers. :P

I just don&#39;t understand why some people don&#39;t protect themselves from instant catastrophic physical HDD failure. Just get a another HDD usually &#036;50-&#036;100 usd. And back your shit up people. It&#39;s fn ridiculous. Specially when these people are throwing hundreds of dollars around upgrading their system. <_<

clocker
10-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@20 October 2003 - 09:06
my only guess is there seems to be allot of kids who don&#39;t look at it the same way the older folks do, I consider it failer to reformat, just like conceiting to the computer, like it controls you and you have 0 controle over it, but it should be the opposite.
you should be able to control your PC, and if you get a problem, alleviate with out copping out to a reformat
Who considers it a "failure" to reformat, kids or adults?
Your wording is ambiguous.

clocker
10-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Zapjb,

The point you make is undeniable, but irl how often does a HDD "suddenly and catastrophically" fail?

zapjb
10-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Also one gets the added benefit that any tweaking, messed up programs & or anything software related that f&#39;s with ones computer can be reversed. No matter how severe without reinstalling an OS & all programs & tweaks & preferences. Which takes days if not weeks vs 15 minutes with Ghost.