PDA

View Full Version : Apple/microsoft Codecs

hey_suburbia
09-26-2003, 05:44 PM
If a group of independent programmers and develop such highly compressed video footage like Xvid and DivX, why cant' MS or Apple do the same? I mean they don't have to use Xvid or DivX, but why can't they create an equally strong codec....Mpeg-1,2, and 4 are good, but WTF.....

Any idea's on why this is

VB
09-26-2003, 06:08 PM
WMV9 is good too.

http://www.doom9.net for comparison tests.

3RA1N1AC
09-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by hey_suburbia@26 September 2003 - 09:44
If a group of independent programmers and develop such highly compressed video footage like Xvid and DivX, why cant' MS or Apple do the same? I mean they don't have to use Xvid or DivX, but why can't they create an equally strong codec....Mpeg-1,2, and 4 are good, but WTF.....
DivX and XviD are Mpeg4-compliant codecs. so if you think DivX/XviD are good and Mpeg-4 isn't... i believe you're confused.

Apple have developed QuickTime Mpeg-4, and Microsoft have developed their own version of Mpeg-4 and called it Windows Media Video. DivX 3.11 was a hack of an early WMV beta version.

for the record-- DivX, XviD, Apple Mpeg-4 and WMV are all Mpeg-4. three of them are proprietary commercial products, and XviD is open source.

shn
09-28-2003, 08:14 AM
It really doesnt matter. With big companies its all about the money and patents <_<

If everything was opensource then there would be no confusion.