PDA

View Full Version : Should trackers start naming movies/games/software with fake names?

roderick
06-04-2009, 02:54 AM
I'm sure i'm not the first one to bring up this idea but i've been reading a lot of stuff about copyright infringement notices and am wondering why trackers just don't use fake names on the files. Would this prevent the ISP from sending a notice or can they still tell what is actually being downloading? Maybe when you download the torrent file it could be a randomly generated number or something instead of the name of the actual movie or software or whatever. What do you guys think?

TheFoX
06-04-2009, 03:02 AM
I already do this, much to the annoyance of my members.

n00bz0r
06-04-2009, 03:21 AM
where is this being implemented?
It certainly is a decent proposal to circumvent the possibility of being at the receiving end of a copyright infringement notice drafted in cooperation with the ISP.

IdolEyes787
06-04-2009, 03:35 AM
Fox has the right idea but then he names everything Herman.

Understandable confusing.

That1Guy
06-04-2009, 04:17 AM

I dont mind it. It can throw you if you are just seeding, or upload something. You have to remember to load the torrent you download, rather than the one you upload. (or d/l somewhere i suppose)

TP635
06-04-2009, 04:54 AM
If members of a tracker use nick, I don't see any reason why torrent files shouldn't be nicked.

1000possibleclaws
06-04-2009, 07:35 AM
It's a good idea. I don't think very many people will go into the .torrent file folder and use them again in the future. I would find it easier to go onto the site and download the .torrent again cause it's so much more convenient.

UberN00b
06-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Only real problem with doing that...
You can tell what your seeding / leeching in your client either.

The.SpongeBob.Movie.XVID
Would appear like this:

You would have to view the actual filenames in the torrent to see what your seeding.
I doubt many ISPs check to see what your downloading unless your reported so renaming the torrents is just a big inconvenience really with no results other than headaches for users.
If ISPs actually checked to see what you were dl like you guys seem to assume then it would be a good fix however.

AllAlone
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Somebody would have to come up with a kind of naming system (based on checksums maybe?) or something like that to avoid enormous confusion.

Polarbear
06-04-2009, 03:54 PM

The.SpongeBob.Movie.XVID
Would appear like this:

It works fine on the above mentioned tracker.

Jezebel
06-04-2009, 04:03 PM

The.SpongeBob.Movie.XVID
Would appear like this:

What tracker might that be?

jasperr
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
now this is an interesting subject..

if things keep going in the direction they are now... it may not be long before something like this becomes a common practice among trackers.....

drew
06-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Interesting idea. There are some usenet posters that use a numbering system (and many who password the files as well) to restrict access. It's publicly available, but unless you know what the random name corresponds to, why download it?

cinephilia
06-06-2009, 03:17 PM
What tracker might that be?
FSC among others.

UberN00b
06-07-2009, 12:23 AM

The.SpongeBob.Movie.XVID
Would appear like this:

Yeah and judging by the amount of snatches their files get im guessing alot of people feel the same as me about the way of naming it.
Dont get me wrong it could be useful but if its not being checked by isps.
(Which it really isnt being checked)
Then theres no point...
Also like I mentioned before the filenames would drive me bonkers in my client. Im assuming most of your users dont remain seeding files for long periods of time.
IMHO you guys could have used your time to accomplish better things...
Perhaps coding the site so it took less time to load refreshes than ordering a pizza and getting it delivered by dominos. (Would be cool if I could get the next page loaded before my pizza arrived for once.)

DKre8ive1
06-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Perhaps coding the site so it took less time to load refreshes than ordering a pizza and getting it delivered by dominos. (Would be cool if I could get the next page loaded before my pizza arrived for once.)

We are aware of the site loading time issue which is blamed on the routing and where we are hosted, But please check out our forums to read up on what we re doing to fix this problem which when it is done hopefully will make everything we have to offer a more enjoyable experience to our members.

mrnobody
06-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Also like I mentioned before the filenames would drive me bonkers in my client.

torrent name is normal in the client.

Im assuming most of your users dont remain seeding files for long periods of time.

quite the opposite actually.

UberN00b
06-07-2009, 12:25 PM

We are aware of the site loading time issue which is blamed on the routing and where we are hosted, But please check out our forums to read up on what we re doing to fix this problem which when it is done hopefully will make everything we have to offer a more enjoyable experience to our members.

No dont get me wrong the site is quite enjoyable and the forums quite active.
Its just the slow page loads drive me nuts.
They seem to have gotten alot better in the last 2 - 3 months than they recently were. But even still its almost unbearable.
Would be great to see better page times.

ovisan
06-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I recon that inviting trustworthy fellas is safer than renaming torrents.
1st of all how d'ya know what yre downloading and then if we can figure out a way to "brake the code" to actually know what we re downloading I cant see why anti piracy gheezas cant do it. Allrite that may protect yre server a bit but what is a server these days.
And above all the fies are on our HDDs anyway so if they get yre IP you are still going down. I may sound noobish but I dont see it as a life saving ideea