PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if..

hagckz0r
06-05-2009, 08:43 AM
What would happen if the one incharge of a tracker suddenly would die ? Do trackers usually have more than an important person which can mantain the site with payments (server bill & shit) ?

Yeah I'd like to see some opinions, and some answers from trackers staff :D

The_Martinator
06-05-2009, 08:49 AM
What would happen if the one incharge of a tracker suddenly would die ? Do trackers usually have more than an important person which can mantain the site with payments (server bill & shit) ?

Imo, depends on the tracker in question. Some would be fine (allthough probably sad), some would die (the trackers) as chaos would break out.

C-mos
06-05-2009, 08:53 AM
LMAO! :P
what a question..jeez :P

1000possibleclaws
06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Just look at what happened to the original VIP Music. Maybe not a death but close enough.

Seems to be an increase in random and seemingly pointless topics all of a sudden? Unless the OP would elaborate on why he posted this question.. :huh:

n00bz0r
06-05-2009, 08:57 AM
LAWL
Thats a really different question..
raising the standard of discussions on FST? :noes:

hagckz0r
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Was just curious of what would happen and if sysops think of backups in case they can't take care of their tracker.

Lets suppose ScT's DjGrr dissapears suddenly... what happens to ScT? Does Feeling have access to everything DjGrr had? Can he use the money from donations to sustain ScT?

Also no one can't deny a thing like this is not possible to happen. Life always provides random things

sear
06-05-2009, 09:30 AM
If they were the only one controlling the DB the tracker would be dead. If not then they could always move servers.

Louie
06-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Can he use the money from donations to sustain ScT?

I think they paid in advance:lol:

hagckz0r
06-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I see some ppl who LAWL at this thread, I suggest you should try to answer. I am pretty sure that if your favorite tracker ceases to exist because of such a reason many of you would come out and ask why there wasn't anyone else that could take care of tracker.

Louie
06-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I see some ppl who LAWL at this thread, I suggest you should try to answer. I am pretty sure that if your favorite tracker ceases to exist because of such a reason many of you would come out and ask why there wasn't anyone else that could take care of tracker.

As I said they pay in advance,db automatic backup so no loss of data,someone will take care of it dont worry.

n00bz0r
06-05-2009, 09:55 AM

well..since you ask ;)
generally, trackers are well planned.
Though the possibility of such things happening cant be ruled out,but, there are a few measures that can be implemented.
As sear said, if only the owner has the access to DB, its gone. The tracker is dead.
If the DB is accessible to the all the sysops, DB can be moved and the tracker can be revived. Since sysops are generally trusted by the tracker owners, giving them axx to the DB should not be a problem. In other words, the tracker would continue to function. Of course, the loss of a staffer would definitely be felt by the members.

Tinfish
06-05-2009, 11:21 AM
ussually a couple of people have access to a database. So its unlikely to happen

TheFoX
06-05-2009, 10:34 PM
If I were to die, I'd still maintain the tracker from behind the veil of the underworld. It would also mean that I could not be prosecuted, because I'd already be dead.

This is a very interesting point, actually. Are there any dead SysOps and Tracker owners who would like to add their pennies worth? Could be a future trend to get out of fines and jail time. Imagine the Feds banging away at the door, while you point a loaded gun to your temple. BANG!!! No more case. No more case means you are free to run the site from the comfort of Hell (turn the heating down a bit please) or Heaven (Can I up this torrent before we have sex again?).

I think you might have hit on the next generation of avoidance techniques, hagckz0r.

06-05-2009, 10:48 PM
if i owned a tracker and was diagnosed with a terminal illness. i'd pay in advance for 10 years and allow my staffers to control it for me. no chance of prosecution :)

Intr4ns1t
06-06-2009, 03:10 AM
Generally speaking there are at least two people with axx to the db at any site, namely the owner and the coder. So barring both of those people dying in one fubar set of coincidences, or being one and the same individual, I can't see the possibility of it dying straightaway.

Even without the monetary info, it's not a huge effort to just switch to a new account for paying the bills. I would hazard a guess that very few of the paypal accounts that pay for said bills are pointing at any individuals real information ;) You would be out whatever the balance on the existing account is if that info isn't shared among the owner/owners and sysops, and that would be a burden on many smaller sites, but not insurmountable.

Benjamin
06-06-2009, 04:48 AM
First of all hagckz0r thanks for the laugh :lol:
I think that the staff would get in touch with a relative/friend of the sysop and take control of the site.

sez
06-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Have family ship his PC to the tracker's next of keen.People know people,a good hacker should be able to hax0r the paypal together with the other passworded stuff(KHG) :yes: ...especially with scT,I wouldn't let the paypal just die.

But its prudent for the sysop to have at least a family member who is aware of his thieving activities :D just incase of anything lol.
Next dumb idea...

hagckz0r
06-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your answers, I'm pretty satisfied now. Loved the serious answers and hilarious ones too! :D

This thread can be closed now.

wheeloftime
06-06-2009, 02:47 PM
OK, so we have established that if the sysop dies the tracker will probably be ok.

But what if the sysop invited all the staffers, plus all his/her relatives to a party, and then an explosion killed everyone - what would happen to the tracker then?

cinephilia
06-06-2009, 02:52 PM
OK, so we have established that if the sysop dies the tracker will probably be ok.

But what if the sysop invited all the staffers, plus all his/her relatives to a party, and then a bomb went off at the party and killed everyone - what would happen to the tracker then?
the tracker would continue to work as long as the server bill is paid :P

C-mos
06-06-2009, 04:02 PM
wtf

hagckz0r
06-06-2009, 08:32 PM

But what if the sysop invited all the staffers, plus all his/her relatives to a party, and then an explosion killed everyone - what would happen to the tracker then?

Damn you just took me the subject for my next topic. :angry:
For sure you haven't watched Final Destination

IdolEyes787
06-06-2009, 08:44 PM

Why are you planning something.:shifty:

shipwreck
06-06-2009, 08:50 PM

Some cheater would eventually hack the site, and invite all his buddies (imagine Zerg rush). They'd make it a safe haven for all cheaters, scammers and 'normal' traders, getting rid of the other folk. Someone would probably add a few stolen credit cards to the mix to pay for the server bills.

And they lived happily ever after.

hagckz0r
06-06-2009, 08:56 PM

Why are you planning something.:shifty:

@Idoleyes Nah.. I'm not teh violent type :shifty:

Some cheater would eventually hack the site, and invite all his buddies (imagine Zerg rush). They'd make it a safe haven for all cheaters, scammers and 'normal' traders, getting rid of the other folk. Someone would probably add a few stolen credit cards to the mix to pay for the server bills.

And they lived happily ever after.

@shipwreck You do realize that what you said is Utopic :shutup:

shipwreck
06-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey, it could happen! Just like it is possible that the bittorrent-Al Qaida bombs a tracker staff meeting. It's a dangerous world out there.

TheFoX
06-12-2009, 08:16 PM

Don't be so silly... The chances of that happening are way too remote. It is more likely that the tracker owner and staff go on vacation, and fly/die using Air France.

brightsid
06-12-2009, 08:59 PM

Thanks I was looking for a good movie for tonight:D

InSPir
06-13-2009, 10:21 AM
i think lol says everything...btw you watch way too much Prison Break

xAhmedHossamx
06-13-2009, 04:20 PM
i think yeah there must be some sort of a second man on the tracker ......

Stellar
06-13-2009, 06:05 PM
One would think that all well-run trackers have at least one person, other than the owner, that has access to the database. I'm sure not all trackers have 'emergency' plans in place in case the owner dies, but there's usually someone else that has access to all the data.

wheeloftime:
I suppose the tracker would die then, unless the company in charge of the server (if there's one) decides to take control if it.